• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm glad this thread is still relatively active in discussion. Honestly, I hope the next update is big and pulls all the stops. Maybe I'm thinking too ideally, but at minimum, I wanna see voice acting implemented and at least the announcement of the first DLC fighters.
This next patch is very likely to add crossplay. We do know that it was pushed back to avoid interfering with GENESIS (because dropping a patch just a few days before a major tournament is a bad idea) so we should be getting it very shortly.

It's NASB related so I thought I'd post this.

A new Nick Brawl related account exists now, made by the person who singlehandedly saved NASB's online (Sanji)

Thought it'd be good to post since NASB doesn't really get youtube rep and this game's meta and gameplay changed a LOT since the original launch, something that isn't really shown much on a big platform like Youtube.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personally I'd rather wait a bit longer and just have a huge patch with items, voice acting, crossplay one new character and stage and maybe a new mode. Garfield and Shredder were some very cool additions and it barely made people talk about the game for a few days. They need to hit hard with the next update if they want to stay relevant. After that they can announce a season pass plan or something for the future so we're not too much in the dark.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Personally I'd rather wait a bit longer and just have a huge patch with items, voice acting, crossplay one new character and stage and maybe a new mode. Garfield and Shredder were some very cool additions and it barely made people talk about the game for a few days. They need to hit hard with the next update if they want to stay relevant. After that they can announce a season pass plan or something for the future so we're not too much in the dark.
Cool as that'd be, I don't really expect that to happen since it'd only alienate the fans who have already been waiting for something big for months as well as piss off the higher ups at Nick who are continuing to fund this game and are gonna be expecting some returns on their post-launch investment pretty soon. I think we're probably gonna get crossplay and the first paid DLC character around the same time since we're about due for a character announcement and crossplay was originally forecast for Q1 of this year, along with maybe items depending how far along they are with that. Voice acting I reckon will probably come later since there's a lot of office politics and scheduling involved that'd need to go on behind the scenes for it to happen.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Cool as that'd be, I don't really expect that to happen since it'd only alienate the fans who have already been waiting for something big for months as well as piss off the higher ups at Nick who are continuing to fund this game and are gonna be expecting some returns on their post-launch investment pretty soon. I think we're probably gonna get crossplay and the first paid DLC character around the same time since we're about due for a character announcement and crossplay was originally forecast for Q1 of this year, along with maybe items depending how far along they are with that. Voice acting I reckon will probably come later since there's a lot of office politics and scheduling involved that'd need to go on behind the scenes for it to happen.
I'm not thinking that the 1st DLC character will come now, as I believe that they'll wait until after voice acting is added before they add any more characters.

That'd be a terrible idea. You're alienating the only people who still play this game by making them wait months for a single update. NASB's finally seeing some natural growth again with the grinders discord server having 700+ users. Crossplay needs to be in NOW rather than later while the growth and mention of discounts is most relevant. NASB's biggest issue was dividing the audience across 4-5 platforms, that hindered the game and created a stigma of dead online.

The community will never grow if you try and bank it all on a single update.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm not thinking that the 1st DLC character will come now, as I believe that they'll wait until after voice acting is added before they add any more characters.
The thing is, there are a LOT of moving parts to getting something like voice acting to happen for a game like this. A lot of these VAs are busy people, and some of them either aren't active in the industry anymore or are deceased, meaning they have to find soundalikes for those characters along with rounding up the rest of the VAs. Then it comes to actually recording the lines, cleaning them up in the studio, and adding them to the game (which I can see being a real performance bottleneck they'd need to work around seeing as they're increasing the game's filesize quite a bit). I don't see them holding back a character reveal JUST for the addition of VA unless they're a lot further along with that than I'm expecting. I'm definitely expecting crossplay to come first, if nothing else.

Last edited:
The big issue for me is that if they do paid DLC characters before VA.... That's only MORE VAs to the group that they have to gather and patch in. And it'd do wonders for publicity that the paid content is announced alongside voice acting. Otherwise, you're demanding a lot from the audience related to NASB since the game is still 50-40$ w/ paid DLC too? Yikes.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Personally I'm kind of expecting VA to be mainly archive audio.
I dunno if they can really do that is the thing. Not all these characters have easily re-samplable audio in the first place, and some like Powdered Toast Man have virtually nothing to work with in the first place. Even if they do decide to do that, they'd have to rip lines directly from the character's shows for at least some of them, which would no doubt lead to some Nickelodeon Kart Racing-tier slip-ups where there are audible sound effects from the show mixed in. Fans have barely been able to make voiceover mods for the characters using archival audio from games and such, and even those hardly sound professional. I really don't think archival audio is as realistic a solution as people may think.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I dunno if they can really do that is the thing. Not all these characters have easily re-samplable audio in the first place, and some like Powdered Toast Man have virtually nothing to work with in the first place. Even if they do decide to do that, they'd have to rip lines directly from the character's shows for at least some of them, which would no doubt lead to some Nickelodeon Kart Racing-tier slip-ups where there are audible sound effects from the show mixed in. Fans have barely been able to make voiceover mods for the characters using archival audio from games and such, and even those hardly sound professional. I really don't think archival audio is as realistic a solution as people may think.
Exactly. I think that it might sound better if they recorded all new lines, and it wouldn't be difficult to get the old VAs back. Extreme Tennis was able to get all the old VAs back except for Arnold, who got an all new child VA, and Mikey who is voiced by his 2012 VA (Greg Cipes) despite being his 80s incarnation (His 80s VA, Townsend Coleman, did return for a 1987-2012 crossover movie alongside the original Turtles VAs). The only character who outright needs to be recast is Oblina due to the tragic passing of Christine Cavanaugh back in 2014. PTM and Aang have other VAs in other games who could take over, and it's a 50/50 on whether Tim Curry could return to voice Nigel again due to his recent stroke.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I figure for at least a few characters, Nick has the raw audio recordings sitting around somewhere.

I do remember PTM was recasted for his last crossover appearance, so perhaps they can get that actor back.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nick has the raw audio recordings sitting around somewhere.
Well Nicktoons Racing wasn't able to use them, as its voice clips were shoddily ripped from the show. They have background noises and music left in, and Gerald can be heard in Arnold's voice clips.

In regards to recording new voice clips think hiring a new VA would be cheaper for Nigel than having Tim Curry in any capacity. Timothy Omundson was able to do a good impression in a Robot Chicken sketch which was able to get the Thornberry girls' VAs reunited but not Tim Curry or Flea.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I figure for at least a few characters, Nick has the raw audio recordings sitting around somewhere.

I do remember PTM was recasted for his last crossover appearance, so perhaps they can get that actor back.
Maybe they'd have that for their Aangs and their SpongeBobs, but generally speaking it's rare for studios to keep raw audio like that after the fact. Usually it's just a flat M4A with all the audio mashed onto one layer, meaning they'd have to try and remove the background sound manually or keep it to avoid making it sound worse.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
While I agree with Ze Diglett on this, I think a good compromise would be selling "NASB Deluxe" which is literally just NASB+paid DLC fighters bundled together as soon as items/crossplay/VAs/the Big Four are all in, with marketing for this bundle being aggressive about the fact that NASB now has all four of these things, right down to the box art depicting SpongeBob, Timmy, and Jimmy throwing items at each other.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
While I agree with Ze Diglett on this, I think a good compromise would be selling "NASB Deluxe" which is literally just NASB+paid DLC fighters bundled together as soon as items/crossplay/VAs/the Big Four are all in, with marketing for this bundle being aggressive about the fact that NASB now has all four of these things, right down to the box art depicting SpongeBob, Timmy, and Jimmy throwing items at each other.
What you're saying only makes sense if the "Holy 4" (Rocko, Jimmy, Timmy, and Jenny) are all the paid DLC we get.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What you're saying only makes sense if the "Holy 4" (Rocko, Jimmy, Timmy, and Jenny) are all the paid DLC we get.
Uh, yeah, and putting them on a new release of NASB's box is good for baiting those disappointed in the original release. Besides, there could still be room for characters that aren't the big four, but the Big Four are THE best ways to bring people back in.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Honestly, this sounds like it'd be kind of embarrassing, to come out with a "definitive" version of the game only a few years out from the original release. It'd come off as a concession to the people who've been dunking on this game since release, like "yeah sorry guys, we ****ed up the first time, HERE'S the game you ordered, can you please give us 60 bucks now?"

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
"as soon as items/crossplay/VAs/the Big Four are all in" shouldn't take a few years...

...right?
I mean, considering this game's been out for half a year and we've only gotten two more characters, I'd say a few years is optimistic, if anything. Honestly, releasing a new version any sooner would be even MORE embarrassing since they'd clearly just be trying to put a band-aid on the game's muddied reputation at that point.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I mean, considering this game's been out for half a year and we've only gotten two more characters, I'd say a few years is optimistic, if anything. If anything, doing it any sooner would be even MORE embarrassing since they'd clearly just be trying to put a band-aid on the game's muddied reputation at that point.
You don't really think it's gonna take three+ years to release any of this, right? That'd be absurd...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
You don't really think it's gonna take three+ years to release any of this, right? That'd be absurd...
Not any of it, but ALL of it? At the rate they're currently revealing content for this game, it might be 2-3 years until we have all four of Rocko, Jenny, Jimmy, and Timmy in the game. It also depends on the order; we could get five characters and have one of them be Squidward, for all we know. I'm not gonna jump the gun or anything, but if this next patch comes without VA, crossplay, or the reveal of a new character, things might just be slow for this game going forward, which is fair considering how the hype surrounding it just sorta dropped off the face of the Earth like it did.
Regardless, I don't like the idea of pushing out a "Deluxe" release of NASB so soon after the original just to try and patch things up with the average consumer who dropped the game after week 1. Most fighting games at least wait until a future console generation to do that sort of thing; people aren't gonna pay full-price to play NASB on a console they could already play NASB on. I'd agree that at this point, a full-on sequel might be the best thing for these devs, but it's clear that they aren't doing that (likely because they don't have the means to) and if they're gonna keep adding to NASB, they may as well keep marketing it as its own thing and not push out an entirely separate product to try and ride the pre-launch hype wave again.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Most fighting games at least wait until a future console generation to do that sort of thing
I was thinking more among the lines of Mortal Kombat XL or SFV Champion Edition, which are just MKX and SFV with DLC pre-purchased. Not Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator or JJBA All-Star Battle R. Or SFII's own Champion Edition.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Honestly, considering we don't even know the first proper DLC characters, it feels WAY too soon for a "Deluxe" version of All-Star Brawl let alone an actual proper sequel; maybe later on down the line, but for now? They should focus on getting all the extra stuff and the DLC in first, especially considering the team size (and that some people are apparently working on other things besides All-Star Brawl).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Alright after rereading your posts I think we're on two separate pages here.

My hypothetical "NASB Deluxe" would be for newcomers who didn't buy the game at first because of its lack of items, voices, and *immy. People who've already bought NASB would keep playing the same game, much like SFV Champion Edition is literally just SFV with the latest patches, not a separate game.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
That would only really make sense if items and VA were also paid, which - even as one of the biggest NASB optimists around, I can say - would be outright suicide for this game

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That would only really make sense if items and VA were paid, which - even as one of the biggest NASB optimists around, I can say - would be outright suicide for this game
What's not to get? NASB Deluxe is literally for newcomers and newcomers alone in this scenario. You don't have to pay diddly squat if this NASBD came out.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
What's not to get? NASB Deluxe is literally for newcomers and newcomers alone in this scenario. You don't have to pay diddly squat if this NASBD came out.
But if this is to appeal to people put off by the lack of voices and items, what's the point when voices and items are free in the base game? What does this achive that just a NASB + Jimmy and Timmy eShop bundle couldn't?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But if this is to appeal to people put off by the lack of voices and items, what's the point when voices and items are free in the base game?
It'd be more about getting the game+premium DLC fighters bundled together for a cheaper price anyway. Just like, sigh, Mortal Kombat XL and SFV Champion Edition.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But if this is to appeal to people put off by the lack of voices and items, what's the point when voices and items are free in the base game? What does this achive that just a NASB + Jimmy and Timmy eShop bundle couldn't?
Yeah. Unless they have no internet and are stuck on the base 1.0 version forever it doesn't make sense to do this.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Then why not just make it a digital bundle and save the time needed to make unique promo material for it?
Because SFVCE and MKXL still got unique promo/cover art.

In my theory, if NASB were to do the same thing, it should enforce the fact that items and the Big Four are now in, to attract new customers.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Because SFVCE and MKXL still got unique promo/cover art.

In my theory, if NASB were to do the same thing, it should enforce the fact that items and the Big Four are now in, to attract new customers.
I don't think they need that. The base game will do just fine. I think that they should wait until every single DLC character (or most of them) are out before they do a Deluxe edition.

SanjiWatsuki

Smash Cadet
It's NASB related so I thought I'd post this.

A new Nick Brawl related account exists now, made by the person who singlehandedly saved NASB's online (Sanji)

Thought it'd be good to post since NASB doesn't really get youtube rep and this game's meta and gameplay changed a LOT since the original launch, something that isn't really shown much on a big platform like Youtube.
Thanks for the boost! I found it impossible to find up to date gameplay footage on Youtube so I thought I'd do my part, haha

There should be daily uploads if folks are interested in seeing high level friendlies/tourney VODs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom