• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Shredder looks really cool and I am a big fan of that stage.

My biggest complaint stems with all of the TMNT characters. I wish each one was a different art style
-80s for Leo
-2012 for Mikey
-Rise for April
-2003 for Shredder

But I digress.

We are now in uncharted territory and that has me excited.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Shredder looks cool and I am a big fan of that stage.

My biggest complaint stems with all of the TMNT characters. I wish each one was a different art style
-80s for Leo
-2012 for Mikey
-Rise for April
-2003for Shredder

But I digress.

We are now in uncharted territory and that has me excited.
Yeah. Everything that was previously datamined is now in the game, and now we have nothing but speculation about the great unknown to follow.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Not gonna jinx anything by saying "I'm a Shredder main!" because when I usually say that about a character, I play them like twice and then never again. But he does look really fun and I'm looking forward to testing him out tomorrow.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well items weren't added, but the promised controller remapping update has arrived.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Shredder looks incredible! I love that his render is based on a shot from the TMNT 80s opening. I really do wonder if they wanted to give the Technodrome stage to Shredder and Double Dare to Mikey but time constraints made them switch it around.
I feel it would've made sense as April's stage as she's a TV host and Double Dare is a game show - but Mikey being a party dude makes him a good fit for a memphis-covered kids game show stage too. Either way, Double Dare being tied to a TMNT character makes sense given the similarities between ooze and slime.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I feel it would've made sense as April's stage as she's a TV host and Double Dare is a game show - but Mikey being a party dude makes him a good fit for a memphis-covered game show stage too. Either way, Double Dare being tied to a TMNT character makes sense given the similarities between ooze and slime.
I would've assumed it would've gone like this:
  • Sewers for both Turtles
  • Rooftop for April
  • Technodrome for Shredder
But the DD stage and Shredder both had to be delayed until updates, thus the fighter/stage ratio for TMNT became 1:1, thus the home stages were arbitrarily distributed between the fighters that made the cut for release and Shredder had to randomly be bundled with a non-TMNT stage.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Shredder looks incredible! I love that his render is based on a shot from the TMNT 80s opening. I really do wonder if they wanted to give the Technodrome stage to Shredder and Double Dare to Mikey but time constraints made them switch it around.
I feel like Rooftop could've been Shredder's initial stage considering it's got Foot Clan goons, and April was meant to go with Double Dare (considering it's a reality TV show and she works in news which tends to be very grounded in reality)

Also note in the video it doesn't say "Shredder's stage is", it says "Alongside Shredder, we're adding..." Which implies that not every character has a home stage from here on out, though it seems likely what that means is for series that already have plenty of stage representation. They probably felt three was enough for the turtles.

Also this announcer was the worst by far, he sounded so bored

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I'm glad Shredder and Double Dare have made it into the game, but... I was really hoping we'd have some more information coming with a "big update." Not necessarily footage of the items or any further DLC announcements, but a general timeline update with what to expect and when to expect it would have been quite nice... I honestly don't love the Smash-Bros-style "Let's do announcements right before launch" when some of the announcements are for basic features that the game could really use...

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Can't say I'm terribly surprised Shredder came with Double Dare. That stage being in the files at launch along with hints toward Garfield and Shredder kind of indicated it was coming soon anyway. I suppose Shredder just doesn't have a home stage then, that or he shares one with either April or one of the Turtles. Not that it really matters, as home stages only come up in Arcade mode anyway. (And let's be real, who cares about Arcade mode?)
Anyway, Shredder looks cool. Got some flashy combos in there as I expected, though I'm not sure how I feel about that Down Special buff. It being limited purely by strong attack usage bothers me, and I hope it's at least on a timer or something like most Smash buffs are so we don't have Shredder mains just holding onto that buff for an entire stock. If anything, I'm just glad we can stop spoiler tagging Shredder's name in discussion and acting like he's NOT a known quantity at this point. Thank God for that, honestly.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
And thus, the intended base-roster is finally complete!

So the update is downloading right now (alongside presumably the patches that weren't on Switch yet), so it'll still be a bit of time before I can try Shredder out for myself, so in the meantime I watched both his reveal trailer and the showcase, and despite my disappointment that Rep wasn't the narrator this time around as well as not being that familiar with the 80s incarnation of TMNT, Shredder himself does look pretty cool; I like how varied some of his attacks are (I like how he has a long-range strong attack), and his specials look useful, particularly his Neutral and Down Specials. The only weird thing I noticed is that the animation for his Strong Aerial Up attack looked somewhat stiff; maybe it's just me, or maybe it's an intentional choice by the devs (similarly with Leonardo's aerial down kick Special), but it was a bit odd. Otherwise, Shredder looks decently cool, and it's nice to have another villain on the roster aside from Zim.

Also, Shredder's the first character to not have a unique home stage of his own; instead we have Slime Time, which looks like a pretty decent stage; the slime might get annoying though. Music's still great anyway. As for Shredder, as far as I'm concerned, his home stage is the Technodrome, Leo and Mikey's is Sewer Slam, and April's is Rooftop Rumble.

So yeah, those are my impressions on Shredder based on the trailer and showcase; now to just wait for the update to finish downloading so I can actually play as him properly.

...Also keeping my fingers crossed the Shredder update doesn't have too many bizarre issues (if not none at all).

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Can't say I'm terribly surprised Shredder came with Double Dare. That stage being in the files at launch along with hints toward Garfield and Shredder kind of indicated it was coming soon anyway. I suppose Shredder just doesn't have a home stage then, that or he shares one with either April or one of the Turtles. Not that it really matters, as home stages only come up in Arcade mode anyway. (And let's be real, who cares about Arcade mode?)
Anyway, Shredder looks cool. Got some flashy combos in there as I expected, though I'm not sure how I feel about that Down Special buff. It being limited purely by strong attack usage bothers me, and I hope it's at least on a timer or something like most Smash buffs are so we don't have Shredder mains just holding onto that buff for an entire stock. If anything, I'm just glad we can stop spoiler tagging Shredder's name in discussion and acting like he's NOT a known quantity at this point. Thank God for that, honestly.
I care for Arcade...

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Downloading the update now. Shredder is looking cool.
I hope the DLC is more legit, homegrown Nick characters, but it's still cool to have Shredder here.

Also someone please wake up the gameplay showcase narrator.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Regardless of anything, I'm glad the day has finally come.

With this, there's currently no solid leaks to speak of besides the announcer call foilers, right?

oh no double dare is shredders stage

yeah i subscribe to the theory it was aprils stage originally
I dunno, Shredder and slime seem to mix just fine to me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Downloading the update now. Shredder is looking cool.
I hope the DLC is more legit, homegrown Nick characters, but it's still cool to have Shredder here.

Also someone please wake up the gameplay showcase narrator.
As far as I'm concerned, all we really need now is the missing Turtles in the non-homegrown department and then we're golden. Other than that, it'll be almost certain for us to get Nick stuff for the rest of the game's run.

In the meantime, I hope we do get DLC schedule details by the end of the year.

Shredder's alt is his colors from the original live action movie!
Cool, although to be fair he was clad in red in the Mirage comics too, IIRC.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
As far as I'm concerned, all we really need now is the missing Turtles in the non-homegrown department and then we're golden. Other than that, it'll be almost certain for us to get Nick stuff for the rest of the game's run.
As much as I'd like to see the other two, I still would prefer the rest of the slots go to more unrepresented Nick shows.
Like what's gonna happen if we get six TMNT characters? Are they going to be pressured to add in more Spongebob and Avatar to make the difference?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

Regardless of anything, I'm glad the day has finally come.

With this, there's currently no solid leaks to speak of besides the announcer call foilers, right?

I dunno, Shredder and slime seem to mix just fine to me.

Did... did they actually make a Ninja Turtles torture device toy?

I knew 80s toys could be messed up (Roger Rabbit "dip flip" anyone?) but... wow.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As much as I'd like to see the other two, I still would prefer the rest of the slots go to more unrepresented Nick shows.
Like what's gonna happen if we get six TMNT characters? Are they going to be pressured to add in more Spongebob and Avatar to make the difference?
We just don't know. Right now it's up in the air as to what characters they'll show next, since the choices are entirely on Game Mill and Ludosity's end for the most part.

We've been hung up on Garf and Shredhead for so long that it's frankly amazing that we haven't even gotten anything resembling crumbs for what lies beyond them.

Did... did they actually make a Ninja Turtles torture device toy?

I knew 80s toys could be messed up (Roger Rabbit "dip flip" anyone?) but... wow.
You think that's something, you ought to read up on Mutagen Man sometime. ☠

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Per the Discord, apparently dataming shows the two things we already basically knew: Items are continuing to be worked on and the VFX system is being modified, probably in preparation for VO.

Nothing surprising, but still nice to have!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Home stages only come up in Arcade mode anyway.
...no they don't? Have you even played Arcade?

Fighters are fought on random stages, in a random order, with no regards to series.

The first round could be Patrick on Royal Woods Cemetary while playing as Nigel, then immediately go to a choice CatDog's house to fight Danny or Traffic Jam for Aang.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Okay, so while I'm still working out my thoughts on Shredder, I have a request: can someone here refresh my memory regarding placeholder images that were datamined earlier?

Because there was someone on Twitter claiming that Rocksteady was the next DLC Fighter because him, Garfield, and Shredder had placeholder images, and it's been a while so I honestly can't remember if that's how that went.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Okay, so while I'm still working out my thoughts on Shredder, I have a request: can someone here refresh my memory regarding placeholder images that were datamined earlier?

Because there was someone on Twitter claiming that Rocksteady was the next DLC Fighter because him, Garfield, and Shredder had placeholder images, and it's been a while so I honestly can't remember if that's how that went.
Rocksteady was very likely scrapped early on.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Per the Discord, apparently dataming shows the two things we already basically knew: Items are continuing to be worked on and the VFX system is being modified, probably in preparation for VO.

Nothing surprising, but still nice to have!
Could you see if there's screenshots showcasing this?

amageish

Smash Master

The TL;DR is that Rocksteady did have his own placeholder image and codename, but he lacked anything else - no move list, no placeholder grey SpongeBob, etc. This placeholder has been removed in the latest update and was almost certainly scrapped...

Could you see if there's screenshots showcasing this?
There is not, but the same person did rip some other not-spoiler images so... You can have those if you'd like!

Top Bottom