• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so while I'm still working out my thoughts on Shredder, I have a request: can someone here refresh my memory regarding placeholder images that were datamined earlier?

Because there was someone on Twitter claiming that Rocksteady was the next DLC Fighter because him, Garfield, and Shredder had placeholder images, and it's been a while so I honestly can't remember if that's how that went.
Rocksteady was very likely scrapped early on.
This makes the announcer voice call leak list even more unreliable, since he was listed alongside other likely placeholder names.

Now it's truly like looking for a needle in a haystack in regards to guessing who's coming next.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
...no they don't? Have you even played Arcade?

Fighters are fought on random stages, in a random order, with no regards to series.

The first round could be Patrick on Royal Woods Cemetary while playing as Nigel, then immediately go to a choice CatDog's house to fight Danny or Traffic Jam for Aang.
First of all, needlessly harsh. Also in my defense, I blew through Arcade with all the characters at launch and never touched it again (except once when Garfield dropped) and the experience must've been so forgettable that I completely forgot home stages don't even correlate with the character you fight there like you'd expect in an Arcade mode.
So yeah, home stages don't matter in-game at all. My mistake.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Okay, so I've had a good solid hour-and-a-half or so to get at least something of a handle on Shredder, and honestly? I'd say he makes for a pretty solid addition to the roster; while he feels a bit slow, his attacks in general make for good combos, I love how useful the range on his Neutral Strong Attack is, I like how you can use his Aerial Down Strong to recover in midair from an attack and counter the opponent, I like how his Neutral Special doesn't leave you in a helpless state if it ends over a pit (because it'd pretty easy to accidentally kill yourself otherwise), I like how his Up Special has good vertical distance, and I enjoy using his Down Special to power up my attacks...though I have a sneaking suspicion that that Special in particular is gonna get nerfed sooner or later; it powers up his Strong Attacks pretty greatly as is, and it's possible to "re-load" uses of it if you activate it again while it's still active; that basically means you can theoretically maintain his powered-up state for the entire match, and I feel that isn't gonna fly for much longer.

So yeah, I'd say Shredder is an overall solid addition to the roster.

And since we now have the entire intended base roster, here's my updated list of fighters:

1. Aang
2. Danny Phantom
3. Powdered Toast Man
4. Oblina
5. CatDog
6. Garfield
7. April O'Neil
8. Nigel Thornberry
9. Ren & Stimpy
10. Zim
11. Helga
12. Reptar
13. Lincoln Loud
14. Sandy Cheeks
15. Shredder
16. Lucy Loud
17. Spongebob Squarepants
18. Leonardo
19. Korra
20. Patrick Star
21. Michelangelo
22. Toph

And now we wait to see how the regular (presumably non-free) DLC will work and who will come first with it; my money's currently on either Rocko, Jenny, or Jimmy Neutron (if not all three).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And now we wait to see how the regular (presumably non-free) DLC will work and who will come first with it; my money's currently on either Rocko, Jenny, or Jimmy Neutron (if not all three).
What's the likelihood of none of those showing up in the first(?) wave? Sounds silly, but that is also a possibility depending on how much the staff follows their hearts.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad Shredder and Double Dare have made it into the game, but... I was really hoping we'd have some more information coming with a "big update." Not necessarily footage of the items or any further DLC announcements, but a general timeline update with what to expect and when to expect it would have been quite nice... I honestly don't love the Smash-Bros-style "Let's do announcements right before launch" when some of the announcements are for basic features that the game could really use...
They legit can't do that though. Timeline is just not good since delays and unexpected things happen a lot with the devs. This patch was delayed beforehand due to internal issues. Them not releasing any dates saves Ludosity from the pressure of meeting any expected deadlines. NASB is in a state where the updates need to be good, they cannot afford to rush **** anymore.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They legit can't do that though. Timeline is just not good since delays and unexpected things happen a lot with the devs. This patch was delayed beforehand due to internal issues.
This, things that would be taken for granted for other fighting games are touted as upcoming features here, because Nick execs care less about fighting and more about tennis balls, apparently.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What's the likelihood of none of those showing up in the first(?) wave? Sounds silly, but that is also a possibility depending on how much the staff follows their hearts.
With Ludosity being more in touch with fan requests than Sakurai and knowing this game needs more players ASAP, I'll expect more unusual choices much later.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
With Ludosity being more in touch with fan requests than Sakurai and knowing this game needs more players ASAP, I'll expect more unusual choices much later.
More accurately, having an easier time talking to fans who speak the same language.

That said, we really just have four highly-demanded properties that aren't in the game at the moment (Rocko, Jimmy Neutron, FOP and MLAATR), so we're likely to go into unusual picks the minute that those are covered.

If the unused items are any indication, Rocko is likely to come first.

I get it might be "predictable" but DLC's gonna be paid, they NEED to prioritize the stuff people actually want. Adding characters people don't care about would be stupid. Jenny, Timmy, Rocko, and Jimmy alone will increase the game's sales drastically.
Seeing as the Nick pool is pretty small overall anyway, it's not like they have much of a choice in the matter in regards to going after lauded fan requests. Even characters from "safe" properties like TLH and Ren & Stimpy needed some prodding for Nick to allow.

This game has it easier than what Multiversus might have to deal with.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
IMHO, near-zero, primarily because we know at least some of the staff want Rocko.

1643926856296.png

There's also Tweet from back in December...

They legit can't do that though. Timeline is just not good since delays and unexpected things happen a lot with the devs. This patch was delayed beforehand due to internal issues. Them not releasing any dates saves Ludosity from the pressure of meeting any expected deadlines. NASB is in a state where the updates need to be good, they cannot afford to rush **** anymore.
I'm not saying they should announce release dates in advance and obviously crunching to release dates would be bad (though that should be avoided by Sweden's strict labour laws, at least on the Ludosity side of things). But a basic "In 2022, we aim to do the following things big-picture" announcement would be nice and avoid the elephant-in-the-room feeling we have about things like items that we all know are being added to the game but are officially unannounced.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
IMHO, near-zero, primarily because we know at least some of the staff want Rocko.

View attachment 344255

I'm not saying they should announce release dates in advance and obviously crunching to release dates would be bad (though that should be avoided by Sweden's strict labour laws, at least on the Ludosity side of things). But a basic "In 2022, we aim to do the following things big-picture" announcement would be nice and avoid the elephant-in-the-room feeling we have about things like items that we all know are being added to the game but are officially unannounced.
They already did something like that. They don't really need to go into further detail, making promises is risky and also lessens a lot of the surprise.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Four is still more than one half of a fighting game's season pass.
Yes, though we don't know if they'll do all of them right off the bat, or spread them across a couple of seasons. The former, most likely, but right now it's not exactly clear.

View attachment 344255

I find it interesting how Squidward of all possible characters hasn't been explicitly ruled out.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
es, though we don't know if they'll do all of them right off the bat, or spread them across a couple of seasons. The former, most likely, but right now it's not exactly clear
When your game is much smaller than Smash to the point where its Steam player count struggles to reach triple digits, you need to do the fan requests ASAP. Smash can survive without Crash conspiracies meaning anything, because it appeals to far more people than just those who played platformers on the PS1.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
When your game is much smaller than Smash to the point where its Steam player count struggles to reach triple digits, you need to do the fan requests ASAP. Smash can survive without Crash conspiracies meaning anything, because it appeals to far more people than just those who played platformers on the PS1.
Fine, but regardless it's still going to be a long wait with how stuffy the Nick higher-ups are for things as simple as color swaps. It's been around three months or so just to push out the bonus fighter stuff, so I wouldn't be shocked if we don't hear anything big until the middle of the year at least.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's been around three months or so just to push out the bonus fighter stuff,
That could just be for polishing rather than Nick being stingy. After all, Garf and Shred have more distinct aerials than just air versions of their light attacks. Likewise, waiting a few months for the next fighter to be announced would be because...it takes several months to make a fighter regardless.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I unfortunately have to agree. This game's state cannot justify prioritizing "gOOFY SURPRISE PICKS" when people are literally paying for it with hard earned cash.
Everything is gonna take a while regardless. Multiversus is probably in a better position in regards to random picks since Warner Bros/Turner has a huge warehouse compared to Nick/Viacom's rather puny toybox.

Also, live-action characters are thankfully right out, so I doubt there'd be much people missing Captain Man and Kid Danger.

That could just be for polishing rather than Nick being stingy. After all, Garf and Shred have more distinct aerials than just air versions of their light attacks. Likewise, waiting a few months for the next fighter to be announced would be because...it takes several months to make a fighter regardless.
Of course, but there's still the issue of having no idea when the season pass structure will be announced. Especially since simpler things like items have yet to be implemented due to said polishing taking priority.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
They already did something like that. They don't really need to go into further detail, making promises is risky and also lessens a lot of the surprise.
Acknowledging plans for crossplay in Q1 2022 and being coy about VO in a way that semi-confirms it during a tourney event is not doing the same thing as outlining a big-picture plan for your game on one of the largest gaming news websites in the world.

And, honestly, seeing footage and how things actually play is enough of a surprise for me. I would much rather they just admit "Yes, items and VO are coming" then us getting the quote-unquote surprise of it being shadowdropped one day...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Acknowledging plans for crossplay in Q1 2022 and being coy about VO in a way that semi-confirms it during a tourney event is not doing the same thing as outlining a big-picture plan for your game on one of the largest gaming news websites in the world.

And, honestly, seeing footage and how things actually play is enough of a surprise for me. I would much rather they just admit "Yes, items and VO are coming" then us getting the quote-unquote surprise of it being shadowdropped one day...
Eh, it is what it is. The fact that the awaited stuff will come at all is better than only knowing about it on short notice, so best not to look a gift Mr. Horse in the mouth too much in this case (especially since there's no prior established patterns to rely on unlike Smash). I'm just hoping the VO is still considered, mainly.

But enough of that, can we talk about the fact that Garfield can fight the Shredder? Hopefully fan artists are getting on that.

amageish

Smash Master
Eh, it is what it is. The fact that the awaited stuff will come at all is better than only knowing about it on short notice, so best not to look a gift Mr. Horse in the mouth too much in this case (especially since there's no prior established patterns to rely on unlike Smash). I'm just hoping the VO is still considered, mainly.

But enough of that, can we talk about the fact that Garfield can fight the Shredder? Hopefully fan artists are getting on that.
Oh, I'm very happy the game is continuing to get this type of support! I guess I'm just frustrated how Smash's approach of every update being treated/advertised as an "event" is bleeding into other games of the genre, which I don't think is always the best from a consumer-focused PoV, but... Oh well. If it keeps the game trending consistently and that results in extra sales which allows for longer/higher-budget for support, then it's probably not worth complaining about...

With all the crazy crossovers we've had in gaming lately it is easy to miss the forest for the trees, but yes! Garfield murdering Shredder with a newspaper is very funny. Good for him.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Here's a new angle I've been meaning to bring up for a while regarding speculation:

I think Jimmy is more likely to come before Rocko, Jenny and Timmy, and I say this for one good reason: dev time.

Think about Rocko's Modern Life and My Life as a Teenage Robot for a second. Rocko tends to be pretty expressive, to the point of having bizarre visuals such as those seen below:

1643937864644.png

it's probably safe to assume that Ren & Stimpy took more dev time than most fighters right? And part of that had to do with the fact that they were very very expressive. I feel like the same logic would apply to Rocko, and thus, I feel like he'd be a character that would take a bit longer to work on

I think the same logic applies to Jenny and Timmy, but instead of in how expressive they are, it applies to their potential movesets. Jenny can essentially morph her body to do just about anything, which likely means a lot of appendages assets would need to be created for such a character, not to mention her distinct artstyle. And the same goes for Timmy I feel, only I can't imagine him working without a bunch of new assets needing to be created for his moveset. And, while I don't really like bringing this up, we don't really know the situation with Frederator/Nelvana/Whatever either, which in Jenny and Timmy's case could delay them a bit

So that leaves Jimmy. Not only did he just recently get a complete series DVD release, not only is he one of the only series repped in that online crossover series absent in NickBrawl, not only is he and Rocko the only not yet repped series in the voiceline clip files, not only would he not be as hard to literally create compared to the previous three mentioned, and not only is he debatably the most requested character for the game, but Ludosity and Gamemill almost certainly know people want Jimmy both for peoples requests for him and the large amount of requests for Hugh as well

In conclusion, I think it's a safe bet that Jimmy will be the next DLC character just based on a multitude of factors

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Here's a new angle I've been meaning to bring up for a while regarding speculation:

I think Jimmy is more likely to come before Rocko, Jenny and Timmy, and I say this for one good reason: dev time.

Think about Rocko's Modern Life and My Life as a Teenage Robot for a second. Rocko tends to be pretty expressive, to the point of having bizarre visuals such as those seen below:

View attachment 344272

it's probably safe to assume that Ren & Stimpy took more dev time than most fighters right? And part of that had to do with the fact that they were very very expressive. I feel like the same logic would apply to Rocko, and thus, I feel like he'd be a character that would take a bit longer to work on

I think the same logic applies to Jenny and Timmy, but instead of in how expressive they are, it applies to their potential movesets. Jenny can essentially morph her body to do just about anything, which likely means a lot of appendages assets would need to be created for such a character, not to mention her distinct artstyle. And the same goes for Timmy I feel, only I can't imagine him working without a bunch of new assets needing to be created for his moveset. And, while I don't really like bringing this up, we don't really know the situation with Frederator/Nelvana/Whatever either, which in Jenny and Timmy's case could delay them a bit

So that leaves Jimmy. Not only did he just recently get a complete series DVD release, not only is he one of the only series repped in that online crossover series absent in NickBrawl, not only is he and Rocko the only not yet repped series in the voiceline clip files, not only would he not be as hard to literally create compared to the previous three mentioned, and not only is he debatably the most requested character for the game, but Ludosity and Gamemill almost certainly know people want Jimmy both for peoples requests for him and the large amount of requests for Hugh as well

In conclusion, I think it's a safe bet that Jimmy will be the next DLC character just based on a multitude of factors
Personally, I'm expecting Rocko first considering he has a datamined item, and if that gets released before he does, it'll be very suspicious to the average consumer. Other than that, either Jenny or Jimmy I could see being second (I lean towards Jenny given how consistently demanded she's been since the game's announcement), with Timmy dropping after all three of those. (Plus, in total fairness, Jimmy could warrant a lot of original assets being made for him as well, what with all the inventions he'd likely bring to the fray.)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

View attachment 344272

You know, I hadn't considered the animation angle, so you bring up some good points.

Of course, there is also the fact that unlike many Nick characters, Jimmy (and by proxy Hugh) debuted in a CGI property, so it'd be less difficult to do 3D models and animations from scratch since every detail is established in that case.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You know, I hadn't considered the animation angle, so you bring up some good points.

Of course, there is also the fact that unlike many Nick characters, Jimmy (and by proxy Hugh) debuted in a CGI property, so it'd be less difficult to do 3D models and animations from scratch since every detail is established in that case.
Except they can easily mess him up as many games before did (looking at you Globs of Doom).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
View attachment 344321 I guess it was pretty obvious, but this is why i believe characters like timmy would have been in base, but couldn't do to licensing .
Wouldn't this have already been obvious with Alex Mack? I dunno who else they wanted that would've needed additional licensing, but I think Timmy's supposed licensing issues are overstated, so I doubt it's him. Pelswick?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Last edited:
Top Bottom