• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
View attachment 333475

a list of their special moves with descriptions was also found internally
I was expecting him to have a move where he kicks Odie sending the dumb mutt flying at the opponent hitting them hard like Dedede's Gordo from Smash.
(Would be fun reflecting him and send the doggy back at Garf)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
View attachment 333475

a list of their special moves with descriptions was also found internally
I am DELIGHTED that Classy Shtick is almost certainly a reference to Garfield and Friends. I have to wonder if Air Guitar is a placeholder since that's a Mikey move, but every other Garfield move I can actually see as a reference to the comics or shows. I really hope he gets fun facial expressions and word bubbles!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I was so hyped for Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion (the original 3DS game; I never bought XL). I would say I had fun with it, though I don't especially like/love it - there's just a lot of movesets that felt uninspired and the story mode, while existent unlike with NASB, was just... a very obvious copy of Brawl.

And true! I think this game may be a real contender for improvements and massive updates if it sells well enough and keeps up the community presence to justify it.
Wait it came out on 3ds and didnt have finn? Thats weird!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Even though they don't own the IP or make the new show, Nick seem to building their syndicated Smurfs show as their next big thing - and honestly I wouldn't be opposed to having the Smurfs playable, even if they'd be nowhere near a priority for characters from syndicated shows.

You could have them make for a sort of tribute to the Super Brawl games' Rabbids - a stack of Papa, Smurfette, and Grouchy - the last of which would be struggling as much as the poor Rabbid in the same role.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Finn & Jake aren't Nickelodeon characters, though. And last I checked, they aren't owned by Nickelodeon either.
There were ALMOST nick characters, their pilot was on Random Cartoons which i see the connection coming, but i would rather see them as the only Cartoon Network Characters used "If" they were to use them.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So having seen that brief move-list for Garfield, I have to say that I felt it was a bit weird for them to be featured in the game despite not even having a show on Nick yet (I'm rather mixed towards "ad picks" like this), but I have to say that those Special Moves (if they end up implementing them in the final version) do sound interesting (particularly the Neutral and Down Specials), and the possible regular attack names also give off a very cartoony vibe, which is something that I do enjoy.

So I guess I'm kind of coming around to the idea of Garfield being one of the two post-launch characters (though I'll need to see him in full first)...though honestly I would've preferred someone from a different show than Shredder for the other one.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I don't think cross-channel guest characters are ever happening. Just because Smash made it look easy doesn't mean it is.

The 80's TMNT characters already kind of feel like guest characters as it is since that version of the show has never aired on Nick, which is kind of frustrating because there's four of them, more than any other show. And if we get DLC, the obvious picks are the other two Turtles, which brings it up to six. Then what, are they going to pad out Spongebob and Avatar characters to make the difference?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
So having seen that brief move-list for Garfield, I have to say that I felt it was a bit weird for them to be featured in the game despite not even having a show on Nick yet (I'm rather mixed towards "ad picks" like this), but I have to say that those Special Moves (if they end up implementing them in the final version) do sound interesting (particularly the Neutral and Down Specials), and the possible regular attack names also give off a very cartoony vibe, which is something that I do enjoy.

So I guess I'm kind of coming around to the idea of Garfield being one of the two post-launch characters (though I'll need to see him in full first)...though honestly I would've preferred someone from a different show than Shredder for the other one.
I kind of think of Garfield as a third party guest character who is big enough to stand on their own merits without needing Nick association, much like how Smash third parties don’t always need significant Nintendo association. Of course, practically speaking, it helps a lot that they aren’t actually third party nowadays, since this game definitely doesn’t have the budget for actual third parties.

amageish

Smash Master
Even though they don't own the IP or make the new show, Nick seem to building their syndicated Smurfs show as their next big thing - and honestly I wouldn't be opposed to having the Smurfs playable, even if they'd be nowhere near a priority for characters from syndicated shows.

You could have them make for a sort of tribute to the Super Brawl games' Rabbids - a stack of Papa, Smurfette, and Grouchy - the last of which would be struggling as much as the poor Rabbid in the same role.
It is interesting to me how much of Nick's upcoming content catalogue are based on IPs that aren't original to them. They're airing the Smurfs - which I feel would probably be repped by Papa Smurf, but your Smurf Stack idea is funny - but they're also making shows based on Star Trek, Big Nate, Monster High, and Transformers...

WRT to that character being an "ad pick," if it makes you fell better, this a huge moment for Rep, who is generally a Garfield fan and probably jumped at the possibility of working with Garfield as an IP. I doubt Nick told them to put Garfield in to promote the new show; I am guessing the request came from Ludosity themselves. Slap City even gave a character a Garfield skin; there are just some megafans in the team.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I recently received a call from Gamestop, so the game will arrive this Friday, as expected.

Also, yeah, okay that first hidden moveset is way more than I ever expected, so I hope they can announce the bonuses soon.

Hopefully the game can add voices (even if it's just voice clips from the shows) officially at some point down the line.
On that subject, I've had a funny idle thought earlier at work today.

You know how Powdered Toast Man frequently changed VAs, right? What if Dave Simmons himself voiced him?

That pie move sounds quite similar to the move from my Garf moveset. I wonder if they're week themed?

Also Incineroar Up-B LMAO
And here I thought El Tigre would get :ultincineroar: stuff, he got beaten to the punch.

Lol if that's true, which does seem to be the case, they really didn't do a good job hiding their code.

The descriptions fit with the moves we saw, like placing pooky which had a placeholder.

So I'll lsettle about resisting it. :p

Edit:
On a side note, I can definitely see them making more spongebob characters in not long.
Can't say I can blame them, when this is how their budget was treated:

That said, yeah I can definitely see Squidward and Mr. Krabs coming later on at the very least (especially the former, since a lot of fans wanted him in here).

There were ALMOST nick characters, their pilot was on Random Cartoons which i see the connection coming, but i would rather see them as the only Cartoon Network Characters used "If" they were to use them.
That kind of stuff occasionally happens. Guy Vasilovich once did a short for Oh Yeah! Cartoons that pretty much was a prototype for Moville Mysteries, even if the show in question was YTV-only in the end.

this a huge moment for Rep, who is generally a Garfield fan and probably jumped at the possibility of working with Garfield as an IP. I doubt Nick told them to put Garfield in to promote the new show; I am guessing the request came from Ludosity themselves. Slap City even gave a character a Garfield skin; there are just some megafans in the team.
Incidentally, I was thinking if it would be possible for people on Discord to ask Ludosity how much of their DLC picks would be from them and from the fans. They wouldn't be in liberty to say which properties, but their response could tell us if there's any overlap in some of the choices.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Even without the leaks, Rep's PFP, or the Garf references in Slap City there was really no reason to doubt we'd get Garfield at some point. If you're making a cartoon crossover and you have the chance to add Garfield, you just kinda... add Garfield. Think of it like if Smash was a new IP and Nintendo just aquirred Mojang - they've yet to port Minecraft to any of Nintendo's consoles but they have the rights. You're gonna add Steve, regardless of the "Nintendo celebration" factor. It's an opportunity too great, too lucky even, to try to reason with or draw a line on.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
At any rate, one of the characters in question was being hoped for by several people (including me) anyway, so it's just as well, really. For the other two remaining characters from the series they're from, they'd have to wait for the paid DLC period.

This is kind of reminding me of the ERSB leak days, but with less characters.

Also, did anyone see this?

Man, some of these item concepts are extremely original and interesting. Definitely hope they end up making it into the game at some point.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
WRT to that character being an "ad pick," if it makes you fell better, this a huge moment for Rep, who is generally a Garfield fan and probably jumped at the possibility of working with Garfield as an IP. I doubt Nick told them to put Garfield in to promote the new show; I am guessing the request came from Ludosity themselves. Slap City even gave a character a Garfield skin; there are just some megafans in the team.
...Huh. I didn't know that. I assume Rep stated that on Discord at some point?

Well, if that's the case, then yeah, I take back the "ad pick" part. Good for him!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In a general sense, there's occasionally overlap on ad picks that just happen to be wanted a lot. Even if it comes from the inside.

Hell, when developers that are really big fans of X property get the opportunity to do something with X property, it'd be kind of silly if they didn't jump on it. This is why the upcoming TMNT beat 'em up is tailored specifically after the 80s cartoon (and incidentally why we got their versions of Leo, Mikey and April in here, despite Ludosity not having interacted with Tribute Games at any point).

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I kind of think of Garfield as a third party guest character who is big enough to stand on their own merits without needing Nick association, much like how Smash third parties don’t always need significant Nintendo association. Of course, practically speaking, it helps a lot that they aren’t actually third party nowadays, since this game definitely doesn’t have the budget for actual third parties.
Garfield and Friends aired on Nick for four or five years in the late 90's-early 2000's, so it's not like there isn't any Nick association whatsoever.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I don't mean to be presumptuous, but this model from the datamined Garfield stage is already looking an awful lot like the one from the Garfield leak...

My schadenfreude grows by the day.
Anyway, here's a fun question: do y'all think the two FreeLC characters will both drop at the same time, or do you think one will come out before the other? Because judging from these datamines, one of them's clearly had more work done on them than the other. I'm inclined to say it'll be the former since these devs seem to have a propensity for double reveals thus far, but it could be either, y'know? (If anything, I'm hoping for the latter so we can see the character in question sooner.)

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Incidentally, I was thinking if it would be possible for people on Discord to ask Ludosity how much of their DLC picks would be from them and from the fans. They wouldn't be in liberty to say which properties, but their response could tell us if there's any overlap in some of the choices.
1633544827635.png

All the DLC will be decided by the game's developers; they don't want to make it sound like they're truly taking suggestions as that would just lead to false expectations.

1633544960838.png

That said, they are of course aware of the big IPs that are currently missing from the game entirely.

...Huh. I didn't know that. I assume Rep stated that on Discord at some point?

Well, if that's the case, then yeah, I take back the "ad pick" part. Good for him!
He hasn't specifically said the words "I am a Garfield fan" AFIAK, but he talks about the IP in a way that only a fan would.

1633545175395.png

And he also apparently is responsible for the Garfield emotes and this is a reoccuring thing with him.

1633545068406.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
View attachment 333491

All the DLC will be decided by the game's developers; they don't want to make it sound like they're truly taking suggestions as that would just lead to false expectations.

View attachment 333493

That said, they are of course aware of the big IPs that are currently missing from the game entirely.

He hasn't specifically said the words "I am a Garfield fan" AFIAK, but he talks about the IP in a way that only a fan would.

View attachment 333495

And he also apparently is responsible for the Garfield emotes and this is a reoccuring thing with him.

View attachment 333494
So, we're left at their behest then. Fair enough, hopefully some of Ludosity's wishes will happen to line up with ours (especially for lesser known absent IPs and some extra characters for a few already represented series).

The fact that Rep/Thaddeus Crews has been using a Garf profile pic for a while now is telling in itself.

I don't mean to be presumptuous, but this model from the datamined Garfield stage is already looking an awful lot like the one from the Garfield leak...

My schadenfreude grows by the day.
Anyway, here's a fun question: do y'all think the two FreeLC characters will both drop at the same time, or do you think one will come out before the other? Because judging from these datamines, one of them's clearly had more work done on them than the other. I'm inclined to say it'll be the former since these devs seem to have a preference for double reveals thus far, but it could be either, really. (If anything, I'm hoping for the latter so we can see the character in question sooner.)
It's hard to say, honestly. If they'll come within this month or November, maybe in a row, but if they wait until the Game Awards on December to announce the initial paid DLC season at the same time as the FreeLC bonuses dropping? Definitely both at once. Right now I can't tell which.

On a side note that would make it the most surreal Game Awards yet, and that already has Muppet guests as a formula lately.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
At any rate, one of the characters in question was being hoped for by several people (including me) anyway, so it's just as well, really. For the other two remaining characters from the series they're from, they'd have to wait for the paid DLC period.

This is kind of reminding me of the ERSB leak days, but with less characters.

Also, did anyone see this?

This is a small thing, but the Suck-O-Matic is from Rocko, and since that's one of the only series with voice lines that isn't represented yet, I have to assume he is getting into the game at some point, probably Jimmy as well. Also, the Fenton Thermos as the Pokeball/Assist Trophy of this game would be amazing, I hope these items are actually implemented at some point.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Isn't it funny that the leak we thought it was feet and we harped on and on about who could be wearing grey shoes.

Instead we were right but for completely wrong reason cause those were Shredder's elbows
The principle of the thing is that we still wound up being right anyways, regardless of the end result. Schadenfreude is nice sometimes.

The actual question mark is whether the stage leak will mess up the current character+stage pattern or not.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
The principle of the thing is that we still wound up being right anyways, regardless of the end result. Schadenfreude is nice sometimes.

The actual question mark is whether the stage leak will mess up the current character+stage pattern or not.
My theory? Technodrome was meant for Shredder and not Mikey, but Shredder was pushed back. Maybe the Double Dare stage was meant for Mikey instead, but technically the turtles don't have anything to do with that show either, it just seems more fitting for a "party dude".

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
My theory? Technodrome was meant for Shredder and not Mikey, but Shredder was pushed back. Maybe the Double Dare stage was meant for Mikey instead, but technically the turtles don't have anything to do with that show either, it just seems more fitting for a "party dude".
That would make a lot of sense - the turtles stages are in a really weird order on the SSS that doesn't follow the character-stage assignment. Maybe Double Dare was supposed to be April's stage? She's a news host and Double Dare is a game show, solid enough connection

amageish

Smash Master
So, we're left at their behest then. Fair enough, hopefully some of Ludosity's wishes will happen to line up with ours (especially for lesser known absent IPs and some extra characters for a few already represented series).

The fact that Rep/Thaddeus Crews has been using a Garf profile pic for a while now is telling in itself.
Yeah, we'll see! I do think it is likely they will pitch Jimmy, Timmy, and Jenny and that those 3 in particular was meant by "We hear you loud and clear."

I also realize we never discussed the full voiceline list. Again, this isn't a meaningful leak and not having an announcer line means nothing, but here's the full list for those curious:

Angelica Pickles, Avatar Roku, Azula, Barnacle Boy, Beebop, Casey Jones, Chuckie Finster, Cindy Vortex, Dark Danny, Donatello, Donnie Thornberry, Eliza Thornberry, Filburt, Foot Clan (like, just the concept, I guess?), Gir, Jet, Jimmy Neutron, Katara, King Bumi, Krang, Mermaid Man, Metal Head, Mr Krabs, Plankton, Prince Zuko, Raphael, Ren Höek, Rocko, Rock Steady, Skulker, Sokka (the announcer mispronounced his name), Splinter, Squidward, Stimpy, Susie Carmichal, Tommy Pickles, Uncle Iroh, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (again, just the concept?), Vlad Plasmius

This does mean that, in spite of what Rep said, the Mr Krabs line leak was real, with Rep denying it being another case of "Rep doesn't know what is going on within the other companies well enough to recognize real leaks." That said, the fact he didn't know Mr Krabs and Foot Clan were names Game Mill had the announcer say is a really big sign of how little these names matter... Regardless, here's some assorted thoughts on them:
  • Rocko and Jimmy being here at all is a sign that whoever picked these names was confidant that they would be able to secure those characters if they wanted to
  • Filburt and Cindy Vortex are very weird choices for second Rocko/Neutron reps IMO, but okay!
  • There's a lot of 2000s stuff here in general, between the Danny Phantom and Avatar characters
  • Ren and Stimpy have separate name files and the TMNT have collective name files... interesting!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yeah, we'll see! I do think it is likely they will pitch Jimmy, Timmy, and Jenny and that those 3 in particular was meant by "We hear you loud and clear."

I also realize we never discussed the full voiceline list. Again, this isn't a meaningful leak and not having an announcer line means nothing, but here's the full list for those curious:

Angelica Pickles, Avatar Roku, Azula, Barnacle Boy, Beebop, Casey Jones, Chuckie Finster, Cindy Vortex, Dark Danny, Donatello, Donnie Thornberry, Eliza Thornberry, Filburt, Foot Clan (like, just the concept, I guess?), Gir, Jet, Jimmy Neutron, Katara, King Bumi, Krang, Mermaid Man, Metal Head, Mr Krabs, Plankton, Prince Zuko, Raphael, Ren Höek, Rocko, Rock Steady, Skulker, Sokka (the announcer mispronounced his name), Splinter, Squidward, Stimpy, Susie Carmichal, Tommy Pickles, Uncle Iroh, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (again, just the concept?), Vlad Plasmius

This does mean that, in spite of what Rep said, the Mr Krabs line leak was real, with Rep denying it being another case of "Rep doesn't know what is going on within the other companies well enough to recognize real leaks." That said, the fact he didn't know Mr Krabs and Foot Clan were names Game Mill had the announcer say is a really big sign of how little these names matter... Regardless, here's some assorted thoughts on them:
  • Rocko and Jimmy being here at all is a sign that whoever picked these names was confidant that they would be able to secure those characters if they wanted to
  • Filburt and Cindy Vortex are very weird choices for second Rocko/Neutron reps IMO, but okay!
  • There's a lot of 2000s stuff here in general, between the Danny Phantom and Avatar characters
  • Ren and Stimpy have separate name files and the TMNT have collective name files... interesting!
Seems like the devs at least entertained the idea of having the Turtles be a composite character, or having Ren and Stimpy as separate characters. I think they made the right choice in the end, though.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd say Garfield is more like Snake than Cloud-both have some noticeable history with the main company the crossover's about (Metal Gear 1/Snake's Revenge on NES, Garfield & Friends reruns on Nick), but they aren't usually associated with Nintendo/Nick.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
My belated thoughts from my first few hours with the game last night:

-Fast. This is good.
-Responsive. When I press a button my character does what it's supposed to nearly instantly (Depending on the move of course). But in general you have insane levels of control over your character.
-Wave Dashing is the easiest tech in the game. Though I'm not sure of it's overall practicality as air mobility seems to be very important and mastering your air dashes and positioning that way might be more important. However it's still fun to do and DOES have uses. It being super insanely easy just makes it so you can start USING the tech without hours of grinding in a lab to even come close to consistently performing it.
-Powdered Toast Man is, as expected, my favorite character.
-Music in the game still feels a little off but there's still some great tunes. It's all growing on me a LOT.
-THE GAME IS FUN.
-Sets end pretty quickly. I wonder if stock count will increase or if 3 stock will remain the norm. Some sets can end in less than a minute.
-Training Mode is actually useful. Frame by frame. Hitbox views. Etc.

Overall, way more good things to say than bad. Anything negative I have to say could easily be ammended via patches later on. Dev said the game was expected to 'look entirely different' in 6 months if they're doing continued support and nothing negative I have to say is really all that detrimental to me anyway. Mostly superficial stuff at the moment.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, after talking about TMNT toys on the Shredder's Revenge thread for the Tributes Games Discord, I think I do owe it to myself to let my young (former baby) cousin know about Brawl. I gave him away my TMNT toys and TMNT Adventures comic books years ago, so he might be interested in this fighting game that features the Turtles.

Not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind having Bebop and Rocksteady in here so that I could dunk on TMNT Smash-Up even more.

Metalhead is definitely an odd one to mention though.

At any rate, I wonder if we'll get anyone that isn't on this list as DLC at some point. Garfield certainly wasn't on it, so that in itself is a good sign.

amageish

Smash Master
Not gonna lie, I wouldn't mind having Bebop and Rocksteady in here so that I could dunk on TMNT Smash-Up even more.

Metalhead is definitely an odd one to mention though.

At any rate, I wonder if we'll get anyone that isn't on this list as DLC at some point. Garfield certainly wasn't on it, so that in itself is a good sign.
Bebop and Rocksteady could be neat, though most of the TMNT/Avatar characters would end up feeling a bit excessive due to the roster size... Metalhead is a very specific choice too; I'm guessing the person making this may have been thinking of the 2012 canon in terms of character importance?

Garfield and Shredder do have announcer files in the game; they just are in a different place, apparently. I'm given to understand there's basically a folder full of these extras that aren't being used at all.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Really seems like Rocko is pretty much a guarantee seeing all that's stacked in their favor right now. Which I'm glad about, they're definitely one of the more glaring omissions in my eyes and I think they would have a really fun moveset. One of my favorite Nicktoons too.

I'm thinking about Rocko having attacks that utilize over the top expressions, like his eyes growing huge and his brain popping out and stuff - and then maybe using some of his household items as attacks too. I know Ren & Stimpy already do a bit of the former, but there's a lot more untapped potential there. Kind of assumed Suck-o-Matic would be part of his moveset, but if it's meant to be a standalone item then probably not.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Wigglerman Wigglerman just a small note, but considering there's no dash dancing, and air dashing doesn't really let you go back and forth like you'd need to outplay someone. I actually feel wavedashing is 'too' important in this game. I would rather be able to dash dance, but I'll try to get used to wavedsahing more and more.

Top Bottom