• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Does anyone have a link to a VOD of this tourney?

Thanks for pointing this out. I was leaning more towards getting this on Xbox but was worried about not being able to find matches.

I watched some of the stream and I'm glad to see that he and the others are liking the game.

The tourney is still live. the game's dev is commentating with Hbox:

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My guess would be how good the character is at the moment.
Pretty much, yeah, which is weird because they're not even a top 3 character IMO. Sandy's got the infinite and is easily a top 3 character regardless, April is fast as hell, has super good hitboxes and combos, and hits like a truck, and Michelangelo is really solid all-around, not to mention he has a solo-Luigi Ladder he can use to literally cheat if he wants to. That's three characters that, in my opinion, are conclusively better than CatDog right now, and I'd even say folks like Aang and Oblina give them a run for their money in their current state. If anything, I'd say a select few of CatDog's moves need nerfing; Aerial Neutral Strong lingers for WAY too long (that hitbox legit needs to be out for like, half the time it is now), Light Down Air is way too quick for how much space it takes up, and while I do think the Buff Dog moves are pretty overrated, Grounded Neutral Strong and Aerial Up Strong could maybe use a bit less knockback. I'm actually hoping for these moves to get nerfed so I can feel less guilty using this character LMAO.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think more casual gamers on Xbox and PS who want a game like Smash - especially if they don't own earlier consoles and their respective Smash games - will probably go for this game first because of the iconic characters and positive praise. I think it was smart from a business perspective to make this multiplat, capitalise on the FOMO Nintendo has created. Scrimblo-ey low-floor-high-ceiling games like this do have more appeal to Nintendo fans, but it'd be a disservice to say a lot of PS and Xbox players wouldn't appreciate it too.
To think that this game will achieve what Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale couldn't, and then some. If it could get Spider-Man as a guest fighter, it'd be rubbing salt in that wound.

Finally playing it and...wow, this game is FUN. I'm loving Korra and Toph so far but I want to try everyone out.
Yeah, I tried out Sandy briefly and seems easy to do a string combo of attacks with.

They saved us from a timeline where lincoln is SSS tier.

His winning pose is tilting enough
That's nothing, just imagine if any of his older sisters eventually got in here. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Pretty much, yeah, which is weird because they're not even a top 3 character IMO. Sandy's got the infinite and is at least a top 3 character regardless, April is fast as hell, has super good hitboxes and combos, and hits like a truck, and Michelangelo is really solid all-around, not to mention he has a solo-Luigi Ladder he can use to literally cheat if he wants to. That's three characters that, in my opinion, are conclusively better than CatDog right now, and I'd even say folks like Aang and Oblina give them a run for their money. If anything, I'd say a select few of CatDog's moves need nerfing; Aerial Neutral Strong lingers for WAY too long (that hitbox legit needs to be out for like, half the time it is now), Light Down Air is way too quick for how much space it takes up, and while I do think the Buff Dog moves are pretty overrated, Grounded Neutral Strong and Aerial Up Strong (both of them, but especially the Dog version) could maybe use a bit less knockback. I'm actually hoping for these moves to get nerfed so I can feel less guilty using this character LMAO.
My guess is that they figured CatDog's stance mechanic would be difficult to use effectively and maybe overcompensated a bit on the knockback of some moves.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I do want more buffs in the game than nerfs, but I gotta say I'm not a fan of how easy it is to spike someone to death with down airs, like how leonardo and aang can do very easily.

I did find the fast paced battles super hype, but not the cheeze that ends a stock so easily, I prefer having a more interesting battle on stage.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
One thing that, to me, reinforces that this isn't very meaningful is the sheer volume of characters from already represented series. I mean Jet? King Bumi? Dark Danny? These are ridiculously minor characters for this kind of game. As far as I've noticed, the only characterless series included are Rocko's Modern life and Jimmy Neutron. There's no way that options like Timmy, Jenny, El Tigre, Otis, the glitch techs, etc. are a lower priority for the team than including MULTIPLE WILD THORNBERRYs characters.
Late reply, but Nick treated the Wild Thornberrys far better than it is treating Glitch Techs. For one thing, The Wild Thornberrys' second movie was only half a year after the first, meanwhile Glitch Techs' Netflix exclusivity isn't to make it a "special" Nicktoon or anything like that, but it's because Nick didn't feel like changing its schedule to accommodate it. On the plus side, The Wild Thornberrys isn't exactly their favorite show to cater to nostalgia to, hence why Ludosity had to fight for Nigel.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, I wonder if anyone tried asking on Discord if we'll get two varieties of alts, accessory-only and full costume. I doubt that characters like Reptar would get any, but it'd be neat to have a Captain Hoek & Cadet Stimpy one, for instance.

Also, it's kind of sad how gif-related perfectly illustrates Patrick being rock bottom in tiers.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
You know, I wonder if anyone tried asking on Discord if we'll get two varieties of alts, accessory-only and full costume. I doubt that characters like Reptar would get any, but it'd be neat to have a Captain Hoek & Cadet Stimpy one, for instance.
Reptar at least has the easiest alt color possibility out of everyone.

1633629652320.png

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I had an idea that for Spongebob you could use some of his family members for possible alternate colors (not the most diverse selection of colors but still)

In a sense though this would be kinda like Sonic back in brawl or so, when his fur would only change to different hues of blue rather than completely different colors, but still would be nice reference I suppose

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I had an idea that for Spongebob you could use some of his family members for possible alternate colors (not the most diverse selection of colors but still)

In a sense though this would be kinda like Sonic back in brawl or so, when his fur would only change to different hues of blue rather than completely different colors, but still would be nice reference I suppose
Given how much Nick values SpogeBob's brand image, I can see them approve exactly that.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Late reply, but Nick treated the Wild Thornberrys far better than it is treating Glitch Techs. For one thing, The Wild Thornberrys' second movie was only half a year after the first, meanwhile Glitch Techs' Netflix exclusivity isn't to make it a "special" Nicktoon or anything like that, but it's because Nick didn't feel like changing its schedule to accommodate it. On the plus side, The Wild Thornberrys isn't exactly their favorite show to cater to nostalgia to, hence why Ludosity had to fight for Nigel.
This is an interesting and relevant point, but I was more thinking from the dev team's perspective than Nick's.
Even still, even if Nick isn't particularly passionate about it, I think they'd still rather represent and promote one of their current series than give a second character to a semi-obscure series from the 90s.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is an interesting and relevant point, but I was more thinking from the dev team's perspective than Nick's.
Even still, even if Nick isn't particularly passionate about it, I think they'd still rather represent and promote one of their current series than give a second character to a semi-obscure series from the 90s.
Yeah, if anything I can easily see the bigger names already represented in the game like SpongeBob and TMNT safely get some additional characters, which is helped by them already having their fans anyway. I doubt that the likes of Rocko's Modern Life will get anything more than the man himself when he gets in, for that matter.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Me: Idk if I'd actually want shows that aired on Nick, but were neither owned by Nick at the time nor bought by Nick since to actually get into the game... It seems kind of hard to justify when different stations aired different shows internationally? It's just hard to look at the American Nick line-up and say it is the true "definitive" one...
[Wayside aired on Nick in the US]
Me: Woo-hoo! I do sure love those licensed shows! They should definitely be eligible!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Me: Idk if I'd actually want shows that aired on Nick, but were neither owned by Nick at the time nor bought by Nick since to actually get into the game... It seems kind of hard to justify when different stations aired different shows internationally? It's just hard to look at the American Nick line-up and say it is the true "definitive" one...
Me: Woo-hoo! I do sure love those licensed shows! They should definitely be eligible!
You have just unearthed locked away memories and I'm going to sue you for it.

Sidenote does Wayside hold up? I don't remember it that well

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On that subject, I don't know how this would even work:

Honestly I wouldn't say with any confidence that they'd be against a second Wild Thornberrys character. This is the same dev team that put in Powdered Toastman lol.
Also a fair point.

Although it'd be amusing if they went with Debbie instead. Imagine whacking someone upside the head with a teen 'zine!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wayside was the show with the sideways school, right? I vaguely remember it airing for like, a month and then never again. I think it was around when CN was airing Class of 3000.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Wayside was the show with the sideways school, right? I vaguely remember it airing for like, a month and then never again. I think it was around when CN was airing Class of 3000.
I only remember reading the book the cartoon was based on.

Honestly I wouldn't say with any confidence that they'd be against a second Wild Thornberrys character. This is the same dev team that put in Powdered Toastman lol.
Well, if Nigel got in because of memes, Donnie videos have been able to compete with Nigel ones in terms of YouTube views...

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I remember that show. I also saw it on Nick over here.

As for more representation for some series for DLC, my main guesswould be avatar. They have a lot of possible and cool characters that they could add.

amageish

Smash Master
You have just unearthed locked away memories and I'm going to sue you for it.
Uh, whoops! Sorry, I guess?

Sidenote does Wayside hold up? I don't remember it that well
I have no idea! I recall loving it as a kid, but I don't think it was very popular as it always aired at weird times (note: the show is Canadian and Canadian law requires a certain amount of content aired on Canadian TV to be made in Canada, so networks would just kind of shove random Canadian stuff in less-popular timeslots to meet the government standard). That said, apparently I can stream it through a library-based streaming service, so it's time to find out how it holds up!

That is the one, yes! It's based on a book series, though the only real thing the book shares with the TV show is the sideways school setting and some character names.

On that subject, I don't know how this would even work:
Oh goodness, now that is one heck of a throwback as well. I recall seeing ads for that, though I think I always found it too weird to watch. I never really got into the shows that blurred the line between live-action and cartoon.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I did try to watch Wayside, but i haven't gone that far into the show in such a long time.

Plus, i saw footage of the later episodes and jeez, the animation took the fairly oddparents route before the latter dropped it's quality.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I remember that show. I also saw it on Nick over here.

As for more representation for some series for DLC, my main guesswould be avatar. They have a lot of possible and cool characters that they could add.
Spongebob, Avatar and TMNT are the three series that could be the collective 'FE/Mario' franchises that could easily flood the roster with additions.

However...I hope they refrain. Or at the very least, spread possible rep additions accordingly while also adding entirely new series to the game. I truly don't want to have a year or longer extension of "NO MOAR FE!" equivalent conversations when it comes to this game.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Spongebob, Avatar and TMNT are the three series that could be the collective 'FE/Mario' franchises that could easily flood the roster with additions.

However...I hope they refrain. Or at the very least, spread possible rep additions accordingly while also adding entirely new series to the game. I truly don't want to have a year or longer extension of "NO MOAR FE!" equivalent conversations when it comes to this game.
This is something I'm already worried about, since they've more or less set up TMNT to become "The FE of the game" because if they add in the other two Turtles after already adding in Shredder, that's six total TMNT characters. double that of Spongebob and Avatar.

I was hoping they'd avoid something like this happening because the Fire Emblem jokes on the lead up to this game's release were staggeringly unfunny.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
This is something I'm already worried about, since they've more or less set up TMNT to become "The FE of the game" because if they add in the other two Turtles after already adding in Shredder, that's six total TMNT characters. double that of Spongebob and Avatar.

I was hoping they'd avoid something like this happening because the Fire Emblem jokes on the lead up to this game's release were staggeringly unfunny.
And they won't get any more funny if character releases aren't strategically planned. So for every Zuko we get they will. hopefully, have a Jenny Wakeman. Or every Squidward we get a Jimmy Neutron, etc.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

If anything, The Loud House has had some curious restraint so far, putting aside the "character's age" debates, so I could see that get a few more characters later (that may or may not include random shilling for Clyde).

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it. It would compensate for Smash-Up pretty much failing at being a Smash-like TMNT fighting game that appeals to everyone, when that game had odd choices like some literally who Utrominator and the Rabbids having no business being there.

And they won't get any more funny if character releases aren't strategically planned. So for every Zuko we get they will. hopefully, have a Jenny Wakeman. Or every Squidward we get a Jimmy Neutron, etc.
At any rate, it is helpful to know that they literally had no plans for DLC before the game's popularity blew up on the leadup to release.

Also, we already have a Garfield to the Shredder.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
If anything, The Loud House has had some curious restraint so far, putting aside the "character's age" debates, so I could see that get a few more characters later (that may or may not include random shilling for Clyde).

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it. It would compensate for Smash-Up pretty much failing at being a Smash-like TMNT fighting game that appeals to everyone, when that game had odd choices like some literally who Utrominator and the Rabbids having no business being there.

At any rate, it is helpful to know that they literally had no plans for DLC before the game's popularity blew up on the leadup to release.

Also, we already have a Garfield to the Shredder.
I have to wonder about them not considering DLC. I'd imagine the devs would have ideas in their back pockets just in case. Or, at worst, some denied characters might be given the green light as 'first line' of DLC if the game proved successful. But I wish the devs luck. I really hope they get to keep working on the game if they're so inclined to do so. I'd love to have a bright future for the game.

Top Bottom