• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Wigglerman Wigglerman just a small note, but considering there's no dash dancing, and air dashing doesn't really let you go back and forth like you'd need to outplay someone. I actually feel wavedashing is 'too' important in this game. I would rather be able to dash dance, but I'll try to get used to wavedsahing more and more.
From my experience so far from playing and watching, it just doesn't offer as much as one might think on the surface right now. Air dashes and other mobility provided from some moves (Like Nigel's falcon dive for example) seem to be more important for not just defense/offense but repositioning safely. But, again, it's day two and it may be worked into people's play style soon. Also I'm a Toastman main and being so big means wave dashing isn't super helpful anyway XD It HAS helped but in more cases than not right now it's just not as beneficial as I'd like but we'll see. Could just, obviously, need more practice.

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Even though they don't own the IP or make the new show, Nick seem to building their syndicated Smurfs show as their next big thing - and honestly I wouldn't be opposed to having the Smurfs playable, even if they'd be nowhere near a priority for characters from syndicated shows.

You could have them make for a sort of tribute to the Super Brawl games' Rabbids - a stack of Papa, Smurfette, and Grouchy - the last of which would be struggling as much as the poor Rabbid in the same role.
You know, if Nick All-Stars does get guest characters I would love it if they tried to get famous cartoon characters from history. We already have TMNT and rumors of Garfield but if Smurfs were added to that would be neat.

I'd imagine that if we did get guests the most likely would be Ultra Fishbujin3000 as the game is made by Ludoisty, Finn & Jake as their pilot premiered on Nick and they were seen with Nick characters before with Little Big Planet 3 skin packs (with both Adventure Time and Spongebob) and Brawlhalla (with a bunch of CN shows and TMNT) and maybe other Viacom properties like Paramount, MTV, Comedy Central, Nick Jr, ect.

I guess Doug would also count as a guest since he's owned by Disney and I'm not sure the likelyhood of getting him would be considering that. Disney has been pretty social lately in the world of games like Sora in Smash, Marvel and Star Wars in Fortnite, ect. And they're most likely far less protective of Doug as they would be for those other properties. But fact of the matter is it's still Disney we're talking about.

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
If there's any 3rd party DLC, I hope its Doug and Neopets seeing how Nick used to own both series for awhile (I really want Tormund from the PS2 Neopets games...)

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
From my experience so far from playing and watching, it just doesn't offer as much as one might think on the surface right now. Air dashes and other mobility provided from some moves (Like Nigel's falcon dive for example) seem to be more important for not just defense/offense but repositioning safely. But, again, it's day two and it may be worked into people's play style soon. Also I'm a Toastman main and being so big means wave dashing isn't super helpful anyway XD It HAS helped but in more cases than not right now it's just not as beneficial as I'd like but we'll see. Could just, obviously, need more practice.
If anything, I feel wavedashing would be even better for Toastman than for most given how slow he is by nature, not to mention wavetoasting is a thing. Granted, I haven't used the guy much, so I may just be totally off-base there.
Either way, I'm glad to see this game dispel the myth that wavedashing is some super exclusive technique that instantly makes any game it's in hyper-competitive to a fault. Way I see it, the more games with wavedashing in them, the better. :upsidedown:

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm sure you'll feel differently after some time.
Not to mention when it comes to wavetoasting :p

Though when it comes to being very aggressive, there isn't that much lag so depending on who someone's playing they could maybe afford to air dash more than wavedash, at least from full hops, because there's a delay before an attack can come out right after air dashing so it's not as good as wavedashing for approaching (unless there's more distance).

Dash attacks are incredibly good though (and can be cancelled into finishers for quite a few), so I do think it's worth not always wavedashing, but again there's no dash dancing so you can't really outplay by going back and forth without wavedashing.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Yeah, we'll see! I do think it is likely they will pitch Jimmy, Timmy, and Jenny and that those 3 in particular was meant by "We hear you loud and clear."

I also realize we never discussed the full voiceline list. Again, this isn't a meaningful leak and not having an announcer line means nothing, but here's the full list for those curious:

Angelica Pickles, Avatar Roku, Azula, Barnacle Boy, Beebop, Casey Jones, Chuckie Finster, Cindy Vortex, Dark Danny, Donatello, Donnie Thornberry, Eliza Thornberry, Filburt, Foot Clan (like, just the concept, I guess?), Gir, Jet, Jimmy Neutron, Katara, King Bumi, Krang, Mermaid Man, Metal Head, Mr Krabs, Plankton, Prince Zuko, Raphael, Ren Höek, Rocko, Rock Steady, Skulker, Sokka (the announcer mispronounced his name), Splinter, Squidward, Stimpy, Susie Carmichal, Tommy Pickles, Uncle Iroh, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (again, just the concept?), Vlad Plasmius

This does mean that, in spite of what Rep said, the Mr Krabs line leak was real, with Rep denying it being another case of "Rep doesn't know what is going on within the other companies well enough to recognize real leaks." That said, the fact he didn't know Mr Krabs and Foot Clan were names Game Mill had the announcer say is a really big sign of how little these names matter... Regardless, here's some assorted thoughts on them:
  • Rocko and Jimmy being here at all is a sign that whoever picked these names was confidant that they would be able to secure those characters if they wanted to
  • Filburt and Cindy Vortex are very weird choices for second Rocko/Neutron reps IMO, but okay!
  • There's a lot of 2000s stuff here in general, between the Danny Phantom and Avatar characters
  • Ren and Stimpy have separate name files and the TMNT have collective name files... interesting!
One thing that, to me, reinforces that this isn't very meaningful is the sheer volume of characters from already represented series. I mean Jet? King Bumi? Dark Danny? These are ridiculously minor characters for this kind of game. As far as I've noticed, the only characterless series included are Rocko's Modern life and Jimmy Neutron. There's no way that options like Timmy, Jenny, El Tigre, Otis, the glitch techs, etc. are a lower priority for the team than including MULTIPLE WILD THORNBERRYs characters.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
If anything, I feel wavedashing would be even better for Toastman than for most given how slow he is by nature, not to mention wavetoasting is a thing. Granted, I haven't used the guy much, so I may just be totally off-base there.
Either way, I'm glad to see this game dispel the myth that wavedashing is some super exclusive technique that instantly makes any game it's in hyper-competitive to a fault. Way I see it, the more games with wavedashing in them, the better. :upsidedown:
It helps with his slower ground speed but his size is still a bit of a problem. He can easily get poked while under platforms even while doing it so it isn't like it shrinks his hurt box in any considerable manner. It can get you around a bit faster though you're not going to be juking the opponent super well with it. I've also not mastered wave toasting which, honestly, I don't see being a super powerful strat since the hitbox for it is rather small. The toast aura itself (nor his outstretched arm) isn't a hitbox. His body is. So you have to be basically connected to the opponent and they'll often be able to hit me before you toast. Again, just day one impressions and this will be subject to change as I continue learning.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Has anyone noticed how it's sometimes possible to grab someone while being like 2 character lengths higher up in the air?

I managed to do it just jumping above and grabbing in the air. It looks really weird XD. And probably not intended to work like that.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Cool. The datamine brings forth surprising and cool (possibly) new features to the game. I cant wait to see it all on the game properly implemeted one day. Rep said it would take between 6 months to a year so we should be patient and bear that mind.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Cool. The datamine brings forth surprising and cool (possibly) new features to the game. I cant wait to see it all on the game properly implemeted one day. Rep said it would take between 6 months to a year so we should be patient and bear that mind.
I'm more than fine waiting and seeing how the game shapes up. It sucks they had a deadline that was concrete. Nick seemed to want the game out on time no matter what. Though even what we have right now is so promising. If the game wasn't fun from the start then this game wouldn't have a chance. Since the gameplay is so sound, many (myself included) can 'forgive' certain shortcomings that were just beyond the dev's control at this point.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing that, to me, reinforces that this isn't very meaningful is the sheer volume of characters from already represented series. I mean Jet? King Bumi? Dark Danny? These are ridiculously minor characters for this kind of game. As far as I've noticed, the only characterless series included are Rocko's Modern life and Jimmy Neutron. There's no way that options like Jimmy, Jenny, El Tigre, Otis, the glitch techs, etc. are a lower priority for the team than including MULTIPLE WILD THORNBERRYs characters.
Plus we can infer from Krang and Donnie's cameos that unless something wild happens those two aren't a priority, so it's obvious that most of those wouldn't get in and are simply Game Mill covering bases. Although I might see Bebop and Rocksteady get in, seeing how being excluded from Smash-Up was among one of that game's more niggling issues that could be addressed here and those lads are fan favorites, plus Don and Raph, not to mention Avatar's Zuko, but that's it in regards to represented series in that name list. SpongeBob cast goes without saying, but only the main characters.

View attachment 333511
doesn't really mean anything, just thought it was funny
Like hell it doesn't, Ludosity's calling the shots here. :4pacman:

I'm more than fine waiting and seeing how the game shapes up. It sucks they had a deadline that was concrete. Nick seemed to want the game out on time no matter what. Though even what we have right now is so promising. If the game wasn't fun from the start then this game wouldn't have a chance. Since the gameplay is so sound, many (myself included) can 'forgive' certain shortcomings that were just beyond the dev's control at this point.
Really though, we're lucky that this game got the devs it has. If we had the ones from, say, Bounty Battle, there'd be no hope for this duckling to become a swan.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Garfield would be hilarious. Come to think of it, I'd play him commonly. Also, I would love Jorgen and Toothfairy from Fairy Oddparents. There are some Nick characters I would actually be more happy if they were in, but they are far from likely.

I'm hoping out for Rocko. Chalkzone, I would like to see.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Pretty much. Stuff like the lack of VA and the fact that so much content evidently got pushed back due to time constraints is disappointing, but at the end of the day, the game's super fun to play and that's what matters most in a platform fighter. If anything, I'm glad these devs did the smart thing and prioritized stuff like characters, stages, online, and making the core gameplay feel good before adding the bells and whistles. I think they genuinely did the best they could with the time and budget allotted to them, so I can put up with paying 40 bucks up front for them to add the polish later. Quality over quantity, that's what I say.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Garfield would be hilarious. Come to think of it, I'd play him commonly. Also, I would love Jorgen and Toothfairy from Fairy Oddparents. There are some Nick characters I would actually be more happy if they were in, but they are far from likely.

I'm hoping out for Rocko. Chalkzone, I would like to see.
I could see Snap happen if they continue to take a page from Smash. :ultgnw:

Pretty much. Stuff like the lack of VA and the fact that so much content evidently got pushed back due to time constraints is disappointing, but at the end of the day, the game's super fun to play and that's what matters most in a platform fighter. If anything, I'm glad these devs did the smart thing and prioritized stuff like characters, stages, online, and making the core gameplay feel good before adding the bells and whistles. I think they genuinely did the best they could with the time and budget allotted to them, so I can put up with paying 40 bucks up front for them to add the polish later. Quality over quantity, that's what I say.
On that note, I find it especially interesting how Garfield himself could have been pushed back until the seasonal DLC and would have that sell easily, yet they didn't do that. They're truly committed to that character to the point that they have faith in him carrying the (relative) base game entirely by brand name alone, no strings attached.

amageish

Smash Master
If there's any 3rd party DLC, I hope its Doug and Neopets seeing how Nick used to own both series for awhile (I really want Tormund from the PS2 Neopets games...)
I... forgot Neopets was ever bought by Nick, but I vaguely recall that now that you mention it. That'd one one heck of a deep cut.

If I were putting a Neopets character into a fighter like this, my mind would go to Hannah... I liked her minigames and associated events a lot as a kid...

Plus we can infer from Krang and Donnie's cameos that unless something wild happens those two aren't a priority, so it's obvious that most of those wouldn't get in and are simply Game Mill covering bases. Although I might see Bebop and Rocksteady get in, seeing how being excluded from Smash-Up was among one of that game's more niggling issues that could be addressed here and those lads are fan favorites, plus Don and Raph, not to mention Avatar's Zuko, but that's it in regards to represented series in that name list. SpongeBob cast goes without saying, but only the main characters.
I got very confused about which Donnie you meant for a second there haha.

From the characters listed, Raph and Donatello are the two obvious TMNT reps still though you're right that it is odd how Bebop and Rocksteady missed out on the last TMNT platform fighter. Zuko seems the most likely of the Avatar reps, though Korra's water-bending is specific enough to her fighting style as a bruiser that I don't think someone like Katara is really off the table either. Sokka's boomerang has been datamined as an item; I don't know if that makes him more or less likely given how many items seem to reuse stuff found in movesets (ex/ Log! and the Turtle Blimp). I do think Eliza Thornberry and a second Rugrats aren't off the table either, if the devs feel particularly inspired to come up with movesets with them in spite of their initially being passed over.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If we get 3rd party we would be able to get Goku in a platform fighter
I kind of wonder if Inspector Gadget has a chance, not only because his 80s cartoon had reruns on Nick, but also Paramount+ has it. On the other hand, it's not the only streaming service with it, and Ludosity might think he'd take moveset potential away from Nick-owned gadgeteers or vice-versa.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If we get 3rd party we would be able to get Goku in a platform fighter
I've said it before and I'll say it again: if I was to choose any guest character, it'd be Wallace & Gromit. Not only could they have a fun tag team-trapper mix playstyle with all their gadgets, but we'd finally get the long-awaited duel between SMASHING and CRACKING!

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
View attachment 333524

This casually just popped up in the Discord's Q&A channel. So, uh, alts confirmed formally in a very low-key way!

A few other Qs and As people here may care about...

View attachment 333526
View attachment 333528
View attachment 333529
I just wonder what they're gonna do for other characters' costumes if we've seen stuff like Zim's human hair, Lucy Loud's shades, and SpongeBob's #1 hat. I'd love to see The Elastic Waistband or his Mermaid Man suit for Patrick, but I also recognize modeling out those entire costumes as opposed to a single accessory might be a bit much work on the devs' part. Maybe he'll get the Krusty Krab employee hat, as another callback to the iconic "NO! THIS IS PATRICK!" scene.

amageish

Smash Master
I just wonder what they're gonna do for other characters' costumes if we've seen stuff like Zim's human hair, Lucy Loud's shades, and SpongeBob's #1 hat. I'd love to see The Elastic Waistband or his Mermaid Man suit for Patrick, but I also recognize modeling out those entire costumes as opposed to a single accessory might be a bit much work on the devs' part. Maybe he'll get the Krusty Krab employee hat, as another callback to the iconic "NO! THIS IS PATRICK!" scene.
I believe that Patrick was datamined to have the nightcap he wears during the "OH BOY 3AM!" meme. They, uh, really like referencing memes related to these characters...

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
I believe that Patrick was datamined to have the nightcap he wears during the "OH BOY 3AM!" meme. They, uh, really like referencing memes related to these characters...
I don't mind them referencing memes if the meme came from the show itself. If a scene becomes so popular that it becomes a meme or is remembered fondly enough to be used as a reaction meme then that means that scene did something right thus deserves some acknowledgement. Also it has a bigger chance of being recognized as a reference to a wider audience.

But when it's a meme that comes from the internet that's forced into a show then that's where it's bad to me. Like the No Me Gusta scene in PPG 2016 or when Ben tells Vilgax each failure was an "Epic Fail" in Omniverse and when Illuminations Grinch has the goat scream.

For example if Patrick's taunt was him Flossing or Danny did the Sheeeesh motion then it would be way worse.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
View attachment 333524

This casually just popped up in the Discord's Q&A channel. So, uh, alts confirmed formally in a very low-key way!
They said Alt costumes/colors, so I wonder if that means we're getting both, or if they're just not specifying.
For example if Patrick's taunt was him Flossing or Danny did the Sheeeesh motion then it would be way worse.
Okay ngl I kinda want a flossing Patrick taunt now just so I can piss people off with it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
i hope they fix Korra's strong dash attack, it doesn't even connect always, weird hit box.
(I think it's like inside her collision box a bit or something)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
View attachment 333524

A few other Qs and As people here may care about...

View attachment 333526
View attachment 333528
View attachment 333529
Very soon, eh? Guess it won't be further than next month then.

Does anyone here think we might get stuff around Halloween?

I don't mind them referencing memes if the meme came from the show itself. If a scene becomes so popular that it becomes a meme or is remembered fondly enough to be used as a reaction meme then that means that scene did something right thus deserves some acknowledgement. Also it has a bigger chance of being recognized as a reference to a wider audience.

But when it's a meme that comes from the internet that's forced into a show then that's where it's bad to me. Like the No Me Gusta scene in PPG 2016 or when Ben tells Vilgax each failure was an "Epic Fail" in Omniverse and when Illuminations Grinch has the goat scream.

If anything, it's best to simply include characters that are walking memes by themselves. Nigel is a good example of that even without currently having any voices.

That being said, SpongeBob did reference the chocolate rain meme once and that was done subtly, so moderation is key as well.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
After playing the game over a span of 2 days I've determined 2 things:

1. The amount of people who bought the game on Xbox is super low. I tried finding a match and the screen went into Power Saving Mode. So far I found 0 online matches.
2. Of all the characters on the roster the one I resonate most moveset wise with is... Lucy Loud. I'm still getting used to her mode changes, but so far she's my personal favorite to use.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace

1. The amount of people who bought the game on Xbox is super low. I tried finding a match and the screen went into Power Saving Mode. So far I found 0 online matches.
2. Of all the characters on the roster the one I resonate most moveset wise with is... Lucy Loud. I'm still getting used to her mode changes, but so far she's my personal favorite to use.
I highly suspect this game is going to be primarily Steam/Switch player bases. This style of game doesn't really 'resonate' with the market on PS or XBox overall. I'm honestly surprised they went full platform spread. I just can't imagine it selling super well when the die hard players are absolutely going to be Smash players or those well acquainted with the style of game. Which is a shame. I really hate that copies for those systems will be on shelves. Sort of a waste of resources.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I highly suspect this game is going to be primarily Steam/Switch player bases. This style of game doesn't really 'resonate' with the market on PS or XBox overall. I'm honestly surprised they went full platform spread. I just can't imagine it selling super well when the die hard players are absolutely going to be Smash players or those well acquainted with the style of game. Which is a shame. I really hate that copies for those systems will be on shelves. Sort of a waste of resources.
I think more casual gamers on Xbox and PS who want a game like Smash - especially if they don't own earlier consoles and their respective Smash games - will probably go for this game first because of the iconic characters and positive praise. I think it was smart from a business perspective to make this multiplat, capitalise on the FOMO Nintendo has created. Scrimblo-ey low-floor-high-ceiling games like this do have more appeal to Nintendo fans, but it'd be a disservice to say a lot of PS and Xbox players wouldn't appreciate it too.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

1633574316111.png

Xbox's online is currently broken! The devs are looking into this and there will be a patch coming out ASAP...

I'm glad you're enjoying the single-player functions, at least? I have also been playing a lot of Lucy Loud; her kit is just a lot of fun to play around with.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
If they make cross-platform play I think more will want to buy them on consoles.

After tonight's tourney though, with almost 17k people watching. I'm guessing it's going to pick up some popularity too in general :)
Does anyone have a link to a VOD of this tourney?
View attachment 333559

Xbox's online is currently broken! The devs are looking into this and there will be a patch coming out ASAP...

I'm glad you're enjoying the single-player functions, at least? I have also been playing a lot of Lucy Loud; her kit is just a lot of fun to play around with.
Thanks for pointing this out. I was leaning more towards getting this on Xbox but was worried about not being able to find matches.
12:07 Is A Highlight of Max's Reaction to Glove World's Music
I watched some of the stream and I'm glad to see that he and the others are liking the game.

Top Bottom