• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I haven't watched the footage yet but I assume he can be reflected?
He's not really a projectile, so I kind of doubt it? He runs automatically when you send him out and then you can press your neutral light attack to make him jump. I don't know what Smash or platform fighter character one can really compare him too, as that seems like a pretty unique mechanic to me.
I saw some footage where ZIM sends GIR after April. April kicks GIR, which changed his direction and sent him running into ZIM, damaging him.

amageish

Smash Master
Heck, I really like Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion XL, and that game definitely has some signs of not being entirely polished, but I still have fun with it regardless.

And I feel that at the very least, from what I've seen, All-Star Brawl promises to be better than that game. Not to mention, as I stated before, the current gameplay footage out in the wilds of Youtube is based on the game without the Day-One patch; that could go some ways towards polishing and ironing things out.
I was so hyped for Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion (the original 3DS game; I never bought XL). I would say I had fun with it, though I don't especially like/love it - there's just a lot of movesets that felt uninspired and the story mode, while existent unlike with NASB, was just... a very obvious copy of Brawl.

And true! I think this game may be a real contender for improvements and massive updates if it sells well enough and keeps up the community presence to justify it.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I was so hyped for Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion (the original 3DS game; I never bought XL). I would say I had fun with it, though I don't especially like/love it - there's just a lot of movesets that felt uninspired and the story mode, while existent unlike with NASB, was just... a very obvious copy of Brawl.

And true! I think this game may be a real contender for improvements and massive updates if it sells well enough and keeps up the community presence to justify it.
I was using Punch Time Explosion as an example of a game that definitely showed some rough edges in quite a few aspects, but still ultimately proved to be fun for me; to prove the point that even a game that's probably not as polished as it could be can still be fun regardless.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, this is what the competitive scene kinda deserves for constantly wanting a fighting game that goes faster.

That being said, we're in an age of games constantly getting patches, so we can be assured that it'll be way better 6 months to a year from now.

Well, I watched a LOOOOONG video showing off the SpongeBob cast's Arcade Mode playthroughs, and during it, the player ended up on every stage except Ghost Zone, Traffic Jam, Wild Waterfall, and CatDog's House, so with the exception of those stages potentially having one or two more cameos (though to be honest, I doubt it), here is the definitive list of all cameos on every stage.

Jellyfish Fields - Gary, King Jellyfish, Queen Jellyfish, Jellyfish (species)
The Flying Dutchman's Ship - The Flying Dutchman
Glove World - Glovey Glove, Gary, Miscellaneous Background Fish
Western Air Temple - Appa, Momo
Omashu - The Cabbage Merchant, Earth Kingdom Soldiers, Momo
Harmonic Convergence - Vaatu, Raava
The Loud House - Lily, Lola, Lynn Jr., Cliff (the Cat)
Royal Woods Cemetery - Fang (Lucy's Pet Bat)
Rooftop Rumble - Foot Clan Goon, Mousers
Sewers Slam - Mondo Gecko
Technodrome Takedown - Krang
Space Madness - Mr. Horse
Powdered Toast Trouble - Flies
Irken Armada Invasion - The Irken Announcer
Catdog's House - Winslow T. Oddfellow
Showdown at Teeter-Totter Gulch - Grandpa Lou, Cynthia, Tommy (on a wanted poster)
Wild Waterfall - Donnie Thornberry, Darwin
Traffic Jam - Phoebe, Eugene, Ruth McDougal, Big Bob (On a Billboard)
Ghost Zone - The Box Ghost
The Dump - The Gromble, Zabliner
Yeah, Luan doesn't seem to be in here at all, despite earlier claims. Besides, a moveset involving Mr. Coconuts would have potential.

Didn't think the Almighty Tallest of all people would lack cameos though.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Alright, I know I'm late, but Zim looks really fun. Like, really REALLY fun. Him being slow's a bit of an off-putter for me since I like being able to move in these games, but at the same time, GIR + gnome shenanigans look awesome and those disjoints of his look crazy. (I also love how he has a move just called "DOOM!" as a reference to how often that word is used in the show.) I don't think I'll main him since I kind of have a thing against maining the most popular character in a game (told you I was a closet hipster), but I think I'm definitely gonna secondary Zim now, which is awesome since I love his show.
So, fellas, now that we've seen every character's kit in detail, what are our final lists looking like? Here's mine:
n.png

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The more I see Oblina gameplay, the more I think I'll enjoy her playstyles. So I may have 2 mains.
I'll see :)

And if the release is at midnight, i might be able to play tonight! Although maybe not, and i have stuff tomroow. But im glad we're close to playing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You say that like we don't like it.
It's just that, you gotta keep things balanced enough so that the gameplay ceiling isn't too high for the uninitiated new players/fans. To cite an example, the fan game Mega Man Unlimited had the issue of being difficult even to some seasoned players because it was only playtested by the designer and a few of his friends.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It's just that, you gotta keep things balanced enough so that the gameplay ceiling isn't too high for the uninitiated new players/fans. To cite an example, the fan game Mega Man Unlimited had the issue of being difficult even to some seasoned players because it was only playtested by the designer and a few of his friends.
No no no, you need a low skill floor and an extremely high skill ceiling. That's the very crux of platform fighters and one of their main distiguishing factors from traditional fighters.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At any rate, I think we can all agree that Zim feels...empty without his maniacal laughter. Hopefully those VA negotiations will bear fruit in a few months from now.

By the way, some more lingering moveset posts came.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, now that I've seen the showcases for all 20 current fighters, here's my tier list for potential mains/secondaries. Please note this is based purely on what I've seen of gameplay and will likely change once I've actually played the game for myself.

1633372449581.png

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The general vibe I've been seeing is "it's very good, but there's lots of room for improvement" - seems providing options for characters in disadvantage states (off-stage, getting combo'd, e.t.c.) will be the competitive equivalent to the casual demand for VA, probably easier to achieve but a lot more important.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Watching Hbox play Reptar is really interesting. His down special is super integral to his gameplan: being the biggest, heaviest character in a super combo heavy game seems like a death sentence, but reptar only needs 1 or 2 down special hits to totally shift the momentum of a stock. It's an interesting solution to the "heavy problem" that has been in high-level smash for so long.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yes. I expect absolutely nothing.
Well then, from what I could tell, Arcade Mode consists of 7 stages where you fight against a random character on a random stage. Every game is three stocks, and at stages 2, 4, and 6 you're allowed a choice between two characters to fight. Otherwise, there isn't any sort of final boss or anything; the final round is just against a random character on a random stage.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Hungrybox was asking the Rep and Markus questions about the game on stream. I'm paraphrasing here, but essentially Hbox said something along the lines of

"I was messing with the control setup and I swear that I saw some alt costumes. Was I hallucinating?"

Rep just smiled and made a zip the lip motion, then Markus simply said "You were hallucinating."
My working theory for this is that alternate costumes are the mystery unlockables we've been hearing about all this time. That would explain why we haven't seen them or unlockable content of any kind yet, and it wouldn't affect gameplay or make setting up tournaments a nightmare as was their concern with unlockable stages and characters. Maybe these unlockable costumes will even be based on outfits from specific episodes of the characters' shows, although that might be wishful thinking.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My working theory for this is that alternate costumes are the mystery unlockables we've been hearing about all this time. That would explain why we haven't seen them or unlockable content of any kind yet, and it wouldn't affect gameplay or make setting up tournaments a nightmare as was their concern with unlockable stages and characters.
Well they would still need to unlock at least one alt per fighter for mirror matches so I don't see how that solves the problem.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well they would still need to unlock at least one alt per fighter for mirror matches so I don't see how that solves the problem.
Maybe there'll be a thing like how Smash does it where in the case of mirror matches with the same costume, one character will appear slightly darker than the other or something. I dunno, have we seen any footage of mirror matches so far?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Maybe there'll be a thing like how Smash does it where in the case of mirror matches with the same costume, one character will appear slightly darker than the other or something. I dunno, have we seen any footage of mirror matches so far?
Yes. Before Day One Patches, the only indicator is the coloured "P1/2/3/4" arrow above their head, which is a suboptimal solution...

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

All winning and losing animations.

I hope someone makes compilations of all the teeter, knocked-down, and getup-attack animations too, they seem pretty fun.
Man, I am gonna feel so bad when I R&S.

Ren doesn't deserve someone like Stimpy - actually, scratch that, if anyone needs an ever-forgiving, unphased-by-misdeeds Stimpy in their life, it's probably a Ren.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

I hope someone makes compilations of all the teeter, knocked-down, and getup-attack animations too, they seem pretty fun.
Sandy's losing animation is my favorite, sadly playing the guitar is such a clever reference. Also, at least some characters have multiple winning animations? Korra's is definitely not the same as we saw in her showcase.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My working theory for this is that alternate costumes are the mystery unlockables we've been hearing about all this time. That would explain why we haven't seen them or unlockable content of any kind yet, and it wouldn't affect gameplay or make setting up tournaments a nightmare as was their concern with unlockable stages and characters. Maybe these unlockable costumes will even be based on outfits from specific episodes of the characters' shows, although that might be wishful thinking.
Well, that's the bare minimum, but better than nothing. Not sure how those would be unlocked since I haven't heard about anyone getting any rewards as of yet.

I have a feeling alts are in the day one patch, though take that with a grain of salt because it's just a gut feeling

Aside from Leo's sword SFX, what do we know about the D1P so far?
My expectations are so low right now that I don't think we'll get anything interesting at launch day besides the patch fixes, never mind news for more content.

The losing animations for characters that are knocked out are particularly fun.

Also, Cat continues to throttle Dog.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

Some of the losing animations look a tad bit awkward in this build, especially looping ones like Korra's... Nothing that can't be fixed by making them go still after the animation is done once or twice though...

Sandy's losing animation is my favorite, sadly playing the guitar is such a clever reference. Also, at least some characters have multiple winning animations? Korra's is definitely not the same as we saw in her showcase.
Yeah, uh, this one has her doing a variation on the water-bending she does in the title sequence. Odd that it is different!

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Gonna try and pick up the game on Friday alongside Metroid dread, but from everything I've seen it looks fun but bare bones, which sadly is to be expected with a lot of games these days (fighting games especially).

I'm definitely still looking forward to the game and all the future updates that will make it the best it can be with things like more characters (hopefully a lot) more modes, alternate colors and costumes, music,stages, etc, but I think it does sucks that this is currently the standard for the game industry, where games are usually released half baked or bare bones and have to constantly be supplemented by updates and dlc to make it worth the initial price point, but often then exceeding the original price due to dlc (though I blame Nickelodeon/Viacom more so than I blame the devs here in this case considering it seems Viacom was very stingy and cutting corners while the devs tried to do what they could to make it as good as possible)

But yeah, I still intent to support the game and it looks fun, just kinda sad how it also reflects the game industry as a whole now with the whole "release it now, finish it later" motive

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

Well, Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario (if I'm not mistaken) got his wish, the characters have some sort of pre-fight dialogue, even though it's not much in terms of actual interaction.
The pre-fight dialogue is just a bunch of random quotes, which uh... Okay.

Rep himself even low-key made fun of it in the Discord, so I'm guessing that this was a "Nick wouldn't let them write new dialogue/interactions" situation...

Gonna try and pick up the game on Friday alongside Metroid dread, but from everything I've seen it looks fun but bare bones, which sadly is to be expected with a lot of games these days (fighting games especially).

I'm definitely still looking forward to the game and all the future updates that will make it the best it can be with things like more characters (hopefully a lot) more modes, alternate colors and costumes, music,stages, etc, but I think it does sucks that this is currently the standard for the game industry, where games are usually released half baked or bare bones and have to constantly be supplemented by updates and dlc to make it worth the initial price point, but often then exceeding the original price due to dlc (though I blame Nickelodeon/Viacom more so than I blame the devs here in this case considering it seems Viacom was very stingy and cutting corners while the devs tried to do what they could to make it as good as possible)

But yeah, I still intent to support the game and it looks fun, just kinda sad how it also reflects the game industry as a whole now with the whole "release it now, finish it later" motive
Yeah, uh, Rep also acknowledged that the game is coming out less complete then wanted. That's definitely an industry standard at this point, but I'd rather games release rocky then developers be treated inhumanly to get the game out perfect before the corporate-mandated deadline, I suppose...

I do think the mode variety in NASB seems at least slightly better then the average fighter, even if it is mostly just "What if we took the Slap City mode and put it in NASB?"...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The pre-fight dialogue is just a bunch of random quotes, which uh... Okay.

Rep himself even low-key made fun of it in the Discord, so I'm guessing that this was a "Nick wouldn't let them write new dialogue/interactions" situation...

Yeah, uh, Rep also acknowledged that the game is coming out less complete then wanted. That's definitely an industry standard at this point, but I'd rather games release rocky then developers be treated inhumanly to get the game out perfect before the corporate-mandated deadline, I suppose...

I do think the mode variety in NASB seems at least slightly better then the average fighter, even if it is mostly just "What if we took the Slap City mode and put it in NASB?"...
The kicker is, TMNT: Shredder's Revenge was actually delayed so that the devs would have enough time to add extra spitshine.

Evidently, 2D pixel games are treated to a different standard than 3D/2.5D ones (seeing as they're harder to make than 3D graphics ones)...

Last edited:
Top Bottom