• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Well looks like I'll pass on this launch. The gameplay and characters look cringe as hell and non of the characters particularly interest me. No voices is weird and most stages are bland beyond bearable. Only reason I would have gotten it is for Shredder.

I'm sticking to Smash.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Zim is up!

Well looks like I'll pass on this launch. The gameplay and characters look cringe as hell and non of the characters particularly interest me. No voices is weird and most stages are bland beyond bearable. Only reason I would have gotten it is for Shredder.

I'm sticking to Smash.
thanks man that's really helpful

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Times like this make me really wish that the game had voice acting, because there's so much they could have done with Zim's taunt/victory screen.

There's a few other moments (like Zim taunting Dib in a way that makes no sense), but I can't find clips of them on their own. (I could only find them in an edited form)

It's a shame that GIR doesn't have more of an involvement in Zim's moveset (I was hoping for a reference to this), but at least he gets his wish.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
ZIM looks pretty great. The GIR mechanic looks kind of intimidating to learn, but I bet in the hands of a really good player GIR would be a damn monster to put up with.
In the end, I'm admittedly bummed GIR, my favorite Nicktoons character, isn't playable and will probably never be because of this move, but I'm at least glad he's got a pretty important role in ZIM's kit.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I'm watching MkLeo and Hungrybox's Match Stream and Leo saids it's coming out tomorrow, He didn't mention it on digital or the 8th so that's giving me hope.

Edit: HungryBoxm Not MKLeo who mentioned the games release date.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think this game is just to fast!
i really hate the way some characters look because of the tempo an optional slow mode wouldve been nice!
I like fast games but I agree it makes the movement and animations look even more choppy because of how it's made to play.

I know I can get used to it, but I wonder how many people will find it not looking fluid.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Starting to hear a few critiques here, this is slightly concerning me.
The two criticisms so far on this thread today come from someone going full troll mode because they didn't get their most wanted and another person whose posts never use correct punctuation. Not exactly a set of criticisms to be worried about imo.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly what I'm concerned about after seeing Armada's video on combos.. is that it might be too combo heavy XD. I've never been big on combos, I don't mind a few but I like to be able to play around without only juggling or being juggled.

It's only day -1 though, so in any case I'm still getting the game and going to find out how i feel about it for myself.

UserKev

Smash Champion
thanks man that's really helpful
Just saying.
The two criticisms so far on this thread today come from someone going full troll mode because they didn't get their most wanted and another person whose posts never use correct punctuation. Not exactly a set of criticisms to be worried about imo.
But they are tho. The characters are particular too fast and choppy. Currently at least. Don't shrug us off just because you have some grudge. Honestly, grammar punctuation is irrelevant because you at least get what we're trying to say.

Right when I started to see you as one of the most generous and humble users, you had to pull a diss card.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Which of the 2 am i? im generaaly called a troll a lot of the time and my englissh sucks so yeah?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I feel like the lack of recolors isn't a Ludosity or even GameMill thing, I think it's probably a Nick thing of them not wanting people to mess with their "iconic character design." So they'd probably push for full-on alternate costumes, though not EVERY character has source material for that, and ALSO takes more development time.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
First official matches are up!
GET READY GET READY
Cool. Looking good. I loved seeing Raptar in action.

Zim is up!
Lets go over Zim. He is a trapper like expected. His kit looks pretty scary and I am sure in the right hands he will be hard to deal with. Zim fighting with his spider legs makes sense since he is really small body wise and I doubt he would get any range otherwise. The lawn gnome and Gir are obviously the main weapons at his disposal with the gnome denying space and Gir keeping up the pressure and making recovery harder. Gir sounds like a pretty technical aspect of the character and whomever decides to main him needs to practice that aspect. As for the stage, I think it looks fine. I kinda wish there were more stuff going on in the background though I suppose it could detract from the stage when fighting.

Since there is a criticism discussion going on, I think its best if I remind everyone that no one has seen the final build with day 1 patch. Hungrybox already stated that they are playing with the prepatch version. So, we have no foot to stand on yet to make an educated criticism yet.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Alright, a few things.

1. Zim's showcase! And he honestly looks a lot more fun than I was expecting when Rep described him as a trapper character; I usually don't go for those types, but Zim looks like he has the kit to help support him. I'm particularly interested in GIR; seeing that you can stop him on command and then have him go whenever you wish sounds like the makings for some fun set-ups! I can't wait to try him out! Also, not much to say for the stage; it's basically Battlefield, but taking place among the Irken Armada. Also, the music's decent, I'd say. Overall, Zim's looking really good, so I'm adding him to the "Potential Main" list!

2. I've seen some other bits of proper gameplay (including a full run of Arcade Mode with Leonardo), and honestly? The game looks fine to me. It's fast to be sure, but not Melee levels of fast, and the characters move and animate pretty well from what I can tell. Maybe it's because I'm a "filthy casual", but I didn't really notice anything too janky in the game. And even if I did, I would like to remind those here that the people currently playing this game are playing a version that doesn't have the day-one patch installed, so any visual issues may be because of that.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
The game is far from perfect, dunno why people having legit criticisms about it concerns you. You can like something despite, or even because of, its flaws.
Well it's just that i've been worried about how people will treat this game like how they treat the others that came before or if smash fans shows off their toxic nature towards this as a general audience(or even critics giving this game a slander)

That combine with my current personality from a rough experience i had since last year.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I feel like the lack of recolors isn't a Ludosity or even GameMill thing, I think it's probably a Nick thing of them not wanting people to mess with their "iconic character design." So they'd probably push for full-on alternate costumes, though not EVERY character has source material for that, and ALSO takes more development time.
The weird thing about this is that Hungrybox swears he saw recolors at one point. Dunno if he's mistaken or what.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well it's just that i've been worried about how people will treat this game like how they treat the others that came before or if smash fans shows off their toxic nature towards this as a general audience(or even critics giving this game a slander)

That combine with my current personality from a rough experience i had since last year.
At the end of the day people are entitled to their own opinions, and to make them heard (even if not in the best way). The devs seem pretty open to criticism and I think they'll be able to sift through what's just noise and what can actually be taken into account so all in all I think this is a game that stands to benefit from criticism, even harsh criticism.

Also, I'm sorry that you had a rough time

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
At the end of the day people are entitled to their own opinions, and to make them heard (even if not in the best way). The devs seem pretty open to criticism and I think they'll be able to sift through what's just noise and what can actually be taken into account so all in all I think this is a game that stands to benefit from criticism, even harsh criticism.

Also, I'm sorry that you had a rough time
Thanks for the reassurance and It's fine, hopefully I'll turn my life around soon.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I'd be fine with no palette swaps if it meant everyone got 4 alternate costumes that completely changes their appearances like in the shows. But if there's really no distinction between fighters in a ditto then... yeah...

On a lighter note I've been very impressed with the last 3 fighters they announced and will consider trying out all of them. I love Avatar and Invader Zim so I was always gonna main someone from those shows but PDM looks like more fun than he has any right to be.

Hey so I'm still compiling my list of cameo characters and I've spotted a new one at The Dump, but I'm not well-versed with my ARM lore. This is the best quality I could get from the video, sorry.

View attachment 333030

Anybody know?
The one on the right is Gromble and I think the one on the left might be... Zabliner? Don't quote me on that tho I'm just guessing based on their appearance on the ARM wiki.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'd be fine with no palette swaps if it meant everyone got 4 alternate costumes that completely changes their appearances like in the shows. But if there's really no distinction between fighters in a ditto then... yeah...

On a lighter note I've been very impressed with the last 3 fighters they announced and will consider trying out all of them. I love Avatar and Invader Zim so I was always gonna main someone from those shows but PDM looks like more fun than he has any right to be.

The one on the right is Gromble and I think the one on the left might be... Zabliner? Don't quote me on that tho I'm just guessing based on their appearance on the ARM wiki.
You've absolutely nailed it. Continuing to check out the video to spot more. Thanks!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
true still a bit disapointing

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Another minor update, but the launch trailer's out now, and as I kind of figured, there wasn't anything about the two post-launch characters.

So unless one of the devs says something about tomorrow, we might have to wait a bit for their reveals.

amageish

Smash Master
I haven't watched the footage yet but I assume he can be reflected?
He's not really a projectile, so I kind of doubt it? He runs automatically when you send him out and then you can press your neutral light attack to make him jump. I don't know what Smash or platform fighter character one can really compare him too, as that seems like a pretty unique mechanic to me.

As for the game and criticism, I am looking forward to it, but it is obvious corners have been cut - whether because of a Nick-imposed development schedule or the dev's ambition outpacing what they had time to do perfectly or what-have-you. I don't think it's a sin to acknowledge that. I'm sure it'll be given some really harsh reviews, which is okay. You're allowed to like imperfect things; in fact, it'd be kind of a weird world if people didn't like imperfect things.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Hungrybox was asking the Rep and Markus questions about the game on stream. I'm paraphrasing here, but essentially Hbox said something along the lines of

"I was messing with the control setup and I swear that I saw some alt costumes. Was I hallucinating?"

Rep just smiled and made a zip the lip motion, then Markus simply said "You were hallucinating."

dlewis53

Smash Lord
As for the game and criticism, I am looking forward to it, but it is obvious corners have been cut - whether because of a Nick-imposed development schedule or the dev's ambition outpacing what they had time to do perfectly or what-have-you. I don't think it's a sin to acknowledge that. I'm sure it'll be given some really harsh reviews, which is okay. You're allowed to like imperfect things; in fact, it'd be kind of a weird world if people didn't like imperfect things.
Heck, I really like Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion XL, and that game definitely has some signs of not being entirely polished, but I still have fun with it regardless.

And I feel that at the very least, from what I've seen, All-Star Brawl promises to be better than that game. Not to mention, as I stated before, the current gameplay footage out in the wilds of Youtube is based on the game without the Day-One patch; that could go some ways towards polishing and ironing things out.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Well, I watched a LOOOOONG video showing off the SpongeBob cast's Arcade Mode playthroughs, and during it, the player ended up on every stage except Ghost Zone, Traffic Jam, Wild Waterfall, and CatDog's House, so with the exception of those stages potentially having one or two more cameos (though to be honest, I doubt it), here is the definitive list of all cameos on every stage.

Jellyfish Fields - Gary, King Jellyfish, Queen Jellyfish, Jellyfish (species)
The Flying Dutchman's Ship - The Flying Dutchman
Glove World - Glovey Glove, Gary, Miscellaneous Background Fish
Western Air Temple - Appa, Momo
Omashu - The Cabbage Merchant, Earth Kingdom Soldiers, Momo
Harmonic Convergence - Vaatu, Raava
The Loud House - Lily, Lola, Lynn Jr., Cliff (the Cat)
Royal Woods Cemetery - Fang (Lucy's Pet Bat)
Rooftop Rumble - Foot Clan Goon, Mousers
Sewers Slam - Mondo Gecko
Technodrome Takedown - Krang
Space Madness - Mr. Horse
Powdered Toast Trouble - Flies
Irken Armada Invasion - The Irken Announcer
Catdog's House - Winslow T. Oddfellow
Showdown at Teeter-Totter Gulch - Grandpa Lou, Cynthia, Tommy (on a wanted poster)
Wild Waterfall - Donnie Thornberry, Darwin
Traffic Jam - Phoebe, Eugene, Ruth McDougal, Big Bob (On a Billboard)
Ghost Zone - The Box Ghost
The Dump - The Gromble, Zabliner

Top Bottom