• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Honestly with how much people have suggested Goku as a character, you'd think there would be, y'know... a modern take on a Shonen Jump platform fighter by now.

Like it would literally print money, and hey, maybe it'd put some of that Smash speculation to rest. But I guess it's easier to just go the arena fighter route.
Imagine a Jump platform fighter that uses Smash's engine and worked on by the same team at Bamco.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I don’t really understand why so many people are so opposed to the idea that they’d drop the series altogether. Plenty of other fighting games have had guest characters from outside gaming. For example, Soul Calibur had Darth Vader, Mortal Kombat had Predator, King of Fighters had WWE wrestlers, and Tekken had Negan. What’s so different about Smash where it would tarnish the spirit of the series but it’s fine for these other games?
For what it's worth, I really don't like that Multiversus is taking this approach either (as in characters outside of cartoons and animated features) because it makes the roster kind of feel like "what demographic is this made for" when Arya Stark from Game of Thrones and Jason Vorhees can beat the snot out of Tom & Jerry and Finn from Adventure Time. But that's a more personal thing.

As for Goku in Smash, I'd still probably play the games (I did play Smash Flash 2 for a while after all, and that has way more anime in it than just Goku), but yeah speculation would go down the drain pretty quick I think and it opens a floodgate that I hope never gets opened because Sakurai said this series is a love letter to video games, and in saying that he even shot down characters like Goku and Iron Man specifically.

Especially now that Disney is involved through Sora; if you open that floodgate I just know Disney is gonna scoop up as much real estate as possible.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Especially now that Disney is involved through Sora; if you open that floodgate I just know Disney is gonna scoop up as much real estate as possible.

You don't understand; we NEED Simba and Elsa because the "live-action" Lion King and Frozen II are the highest grossing animated movies of all time!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
You don't understand; we NEED Simba and Elsa because the "live-action" Lion King and Frozen II are the highest grossing animated movies of all time!
Thinking about the Disney stuff further, I do think it'd be really hilarious if Kingdom Hearts got a new stage based on Timeless River, and Mickey and Pete show up in the background, JUST because Steamboat Willy is public domain now.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Imagine a Jump platform fighter that uses Smash's engine and worked on by the same team at Bamco.
I’d love to see something expansive that includes characters from various anime and manga origins that aren’t just exclusive to Jump. Basically the equivalent to how Smash is a celebration of gaming as a whole but applied to anime and manga. There’s a ton of fun match ups you could have in that game that wouldn’t be possible in Jump alone like Sesshoumaru vs Byakuya, Natsu vs Naruto, Wild Tiger vs All Might, or Lelouche vs Light Yagami. Other characters like Edward Elric, Vash the Stampede, Spike Spiegel, Mugen, Ryoko Matoi, or Sosuke Sagura could be a ton of fun too.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I’d love to see something expansive that includes characters from various anime and manga origins that aren’t just exclusive to Jump. Basically the equivalent to how Smash is a celebration of gaming as a whole but applied to anime and manga. There’s a ton of fun match ups you could have in that game that wouldn’t be possible in Jump alone like Seshoumaru vs Byakuya, Natsu vs Naruto, or Lelouche vs Light Yagami. Other characters like Edward Elric or Sosuke Sagura could be a ton of fun too.
Only if the requisite wtf left field choice is a character from Nichijou like Mio as a grappler or something or Nano with her gun arms.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Say, I want to say something that is partly an extension of the unlockables thing I asked yesterday. It is this: Whether or not there ARE unlockables in the next Smash Bros. game...

Do you think they will reveal the whole base roster like they did with Smash Bros. Ultimate and all, with all veterans revealed and all newcomers gradually revealed over time in Smash Bros. Directs and regular Directs? I ask because unlockable characters and unlockables in general, as some people said, are becoming less of a thing nowadays, if they are a thing anymore.

I am talking about characters for the base game, by the way.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I don’t really understand why so many people are so opposed to the idea that they’d drop the series altogether.

The only argument I can think of is that Smash is a crossover fighter and characters from outside gaming wouldn’t fit. The problem is that we’ve had other crossover fighters with guest characters from outside those properties already. Like the TMNT were in Injustice and Pac-Man was in Street Fighter vs Tekken.
Depends what you see Smash as. These days it's mostly seen as a confluence of gaming (though it hardly takes evenly from across the industry), so anything outside those parameters clashes with the identity it's been given.

"Nintendo purists" get derided, but for a while Smash was a crossover purely of Nintendo characters, so when that changed, they had dissonance between what they saw Smash as, perhaps what they valued it for, and what it became. I like the third-party presence, but I understand why some people lamented the shift, if they considered Smash something apart from what it turned into, much as many would lament if it opened its doors further.

And then there are those who have a more "this is just a big crossover, and it'd be cool if they added x" approach - and therein you'd see the Gokus and the Batmans and the Spongebobs suggested. That's not where I stand, and I wouldn't be thrilled if that's what Smash became, but... it's not impossible it one day goes down that route. Especially once Sakurai fully departs the series, and they might be looking for a new hook.

If people are so concerned with preserving Smash’s original identity, why didn’t you stop playing when Snake was revealed in Brawl? I just don’t get it.
It's possible some people did, but it's likelier people who weren't happy just complained and then gradually got accustomed to it, and then eventually stopped. I mean, if you still have a problem with it twenty years later, you'd either have left or by now would just keep it to yourself.

The truth is though that what happened then would happen again if we got non-gaming characters, being a blowback that eventually subsides as people accept the new direction and while some may pull away, a lot eventually embrace whatever the series becomes, and non-gaming characters begin to show up on popularity polls and the like.

It wouldn't be new. Past third-parties in general, there used to be an aversion to fighting game characters in Smash until Ryu showed up. Lord knows about the aversion to non-Nintendo-oriented characters, and now most of the most requested third-parties aren't heavily Nintendo-oriented.

The fanbase will just adapt to whatever the direction is, and that includes if they added non-gaming characters. Not to say there wouldn't be blowback and the fanbase doing a lot of fighting with itself before things smoothed out. Snake only truly stopped being divisive around the time of Cloud and Bayo.

Plenty of other fighting games have had guest characters from outside gaming. For example, Soul Calibur had Darth Vader, Mortal Kombat had Predator, King of Fighters had WWE wrestlers, and Tekken had Negan. What’s so different about Smash where it would tarnish the spirit of the series but it’s fine for these other games?
These other series you mention, apart from sort of KoF, have guests but aren't intrinsically crossover series, and never established themselves on the basis of a particular medium of guest list. In fact, I believe both SC and MK's first guests weren't game characters (well, one of SC's first three, being Spawn).

Those series have different sorts of identities, such that people generally see medieval-themed weapon-wielding characters as those that would fit best with SC (hence why characters like Link, Marth, Ezio, a Soulsborne character, and Kratos - though he's not medieval) are/were popular requests. And why even though it got Star Wars, that was seen as... weird. A character like Mario wouldn't fit in SC, outside of character creator at least, because it's even further from its identity. And with MK, generally characters with over-the-top violent backgrounds (such as movie slashers or comic villains) are among the most "fitting", as they are in line with the series' identity.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wouldn't bother me either way. Tis just a game to me.

But I totally get it too.

It might help that I already make fun rosters with these options, so it's not really something that ruins it for me. Not that I'd get my most wanted Anime character either way. XD Ironically, if the gates were open, he'd be more likely than my favorite option for a video game character, well, maybe. I'm not sure if they'd double dip on an anime franchise either way, since it's a bit special. Then again, maybe?

Well, regardless, I don't expect it anyway. I know things can change. Licensing fees aren't going to be the same forever, etc. There's always variables too. I do think it's cool as a gaming crossover mainly too. There's a lot of neat games, and I do like the debates(to a degree) on how a character counts. What technicality do you want to play for a fun roster VS a realistic one, etc. It's certainly affected an unrelated roster with similar rules that I did, so~

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay but what if this was the roster + Goku?
You make a strong argument. But I still feel like the magic would be gone.

I don’t really understand why so many people are so opposed to the idea that they’d drop the series altogether. Plenty of other fighting games have had guest characters from outside gaming.
And I hate it. Unless the point of the game is to be a crossover game, I want the characters in that game to be FROM that world. I'm playing that game because I like it's characters and setting. So I want it's additional characters to be MORE of that. Not something else unrelated that doesn't matter at all.

I was pretty ****ed off recently when Terry and Mai got announced for Street Fighter 6. Because SF had always been a series that, up till now, had avoided resorting to guest characters(other than Ingrid in Alpha 3 Max). SF6 is a great game, but it desperately needs more characters. And it's DLC was already extremely slow. Now, half of that DLC for the next year isn't even going to be SF characters.

For many people, it's a door that, once opened, cannot be closed again. If we get Goku, what's stopping them from adding someone like Shrek? Or SpongeBob? Or Homer Simpson?
My hope, at least, is that if Smash ever DOES open that door, that it will at least limit itself to 4P characters that are a important to video games. Your Gokus, your Geralts, your Batmans, your Ninja Turtles. And not just be any pop culture character, even ones that have never had a decent video game.

How did everyone here feel about Hello Kitty in Mario maker and Mercedes-Benz in Mario Kart?
Ungood.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
In terms of non-video game content, I‘d rather leave it to the fan games as it does feel like a Pandora’s box or a slippery slope type of situation once someone like Goku joins. I feel requests for others will probably follow after one of the joins, but as someone who enjoyed SSF2 and Crusade, I’d be fine with non-video game content. If there is a non-video game character, this is one that I’d feel would fit perfectly.

For unlockable content, I think it’ll stay if Sakurai is the developer as he seems to find it important enough to keep based on prior games.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
As a firm and die-hard supporter of non-video game content in Smash Bros. (even if it's related to already-represented franchises), in retrospective it's just dumb as heck.

I would rather hype to a trophy/spirit of Skeebo from Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, rather than having stuff like Ren & Stimpy, Megamind, Bart Simpson, and Ruby Rose.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
As a die-hard supporter of non-video game content in Smash Bros. (even if it's related to already-represented franchises), in retrospective it's just dumb as heck.

I would rather hype to a trophy/spirit of Skeebo from Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, rather than having stuff like Ren & Stimpy, Megamind, Bart Simpson, and Ruby Rose.
I kinda want Ren & Stimpy now

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Aparently Shovel Knight 2 (?) is in development.
I know new game =/= smash bros inclusion confirmed, but i think Shovel Knight might have a chance as a fighter now, i previously through his boat sailed, but maybe there's still a chance since the series has a future right now.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I know new game =/= smash bros inclusion confirmed, but i think Shovel Knight might have a chance as a fighter now, i previously through his boat sailed, but maybe there's still a chance since the series has a future right now.
What do you mean his series has a future now?
The series wasn't inactive and had games released post Treasure Trove with DLC for said games as well.

AlRex

Smash Lord
On Goku/outside media characters in Smash, I’d prefer a Nintendo VS Shonen Jump game. Nintendo VS Disney or DC could also be fun, possibly. Though I don’t see any of this as likely. It’s fun sometimes to do movesets, though. If I could pick them, I’d add the Ninja Turtles, James Bond, Sam & Max, Popeye, Tony Hawk, something representative of Super Robot Wars, etc. over Goku. Maybe “Pop Culture Clash”/“OmniVersus” existing could also be fun, as a separate thing, though it’d be impossible. MUGEN, I suppose.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
The most interesting part of that interview:
Yacht Club is promising that this isn’t going to be “just another sequel,” but will be a “bold new adventure that will launch Shovel Knight into an entirely new dimension of gaming.” I almost need to put that last part in a second set of quotes.
This is close to confirmation that their next game is going to be 3D, which they'e alluded to in the past.

I'll always be down to see Shovel knight in Smash. Probably not happening: I think the 15 minutes of fame his original game bought him came and went, but all of the SK games, particularly Treasure Trove are fantastic. Even if you don't like retro-style platformers, all four campaigns are fun and inventive and relentlessly charming and no I promise Yacht Club isn't paying me why would you even ask that

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I'll always be down to see Shovel knight in Smash. Probably not happening: I think the 15 minutes of fame his original game bought him came and went, but all of the SK games, particularly Treasure Trove are fantastic. Even if you don't like retro-style platformers, all four campaigns are fun and inventive and relentlessly charming and no I promise Yacht Club isn't paying me why would you even ask that
I think the 15 minutes of fame depends on how good this sequel/new adventure ends up being because that 15 minutes actually ended up being like 5 years between the original release of Shovel of Hope and Treasure Trove updating with all four campaigns and Shovel Knight Showdown lol

At the very least I don't see Shovel Knight's Assist Trophy going anywhere if he's not playable, so he'll probably stick around in some way at least.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I like Smash Bros for Nintendo characters. As long as they're still around and still getting added, I'll still play Smash.

But Like GoldenYuiitusin, I'd probably stop talking about it online if Goku was added. It's already bloody difficult to have a conversation sometimes with how third party centric the conversations become

dream1ng

Smash Champion
What do you mean his series has a future now?
The series wasn't inactive and had games released post Treasure Trove with DLC for said games as well.
That is true.

But this game, if indeed basically a Shovel Knight 2, will probably spike his attention and demand higher than any of the subsequent games or DLC did since the original.

The most interesting part of that interview:
This is close to confirmation that their next game is going to be 3D, which they'e alluded to in the past.

Well Shantae's popularity has seemed to exist mostly based on her continuing to exist... it will be interesting to see if SK's rebounds with an actual sequel and being unencumbered by AT status.

Though yeah having popularity and actually getting in are two very different things.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly with how much people have suggested Goku as a character, you'd think there would be, y'know... a modern take on a Shonen Jump platform fighter by now.
I remember seeing someone talk about one on the...DS? It's gimmick was that your abilities would be determined by manga panels that you could place on your bottom screen. Stronger ones used bigger panels so it was a choice of quality or quantity in your loadout. The system might also have determined what character you play, but don't quote me on that.

...Ruby Rose.
I've heard she's getting added to Multiversus, which honestly shouldn't surprise me all that much. Definitely something for me to look forward to when she drops...and I get around to playing Multiversus.

That's really interesting. I wonder how they'll handle Shovel Knight's mechanics in a 3D space.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Nick All Star Brawl has you covered twice
I freakin' love how Ren and Stimpy are implemented in NASB. The way they model like 14 different head shapes for expressions that achieve 2D appeal is so good, this is the kind of approach I'd want the actual Smash team to use for someone like Peppino.

1718421209390.png
1718421231824.png
1718421282524.png

1718421409369.png
1718421503870.png

(also, it feels like every two weeks the discussion in this thread inevitably loops around to 4th parties and/or cuts. i have no idea why this keeps happening but it's getting really tiring.)

Ivander

Smash Legend
Did we ever learn how the Advance Wars remake did?
I mean, at the least, wasn't it pretty high in best sellers on the month it released on the eShop? I thought we talked about it when someone showed an image of it on the best sellers eShop menu or something?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I don't know that we actually have any details on that, but considering TotK was like 3 weeks later and Xenoblade 3's Future Redeemed was like 5 days after ReBoot Camp released, plus the year-long delay because of real life things, I don't know that I'm too hopeful for it, frankly.

Plus I mean, if it's been out for a year and we have no sales records to speak of, then like...

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
No sales data means sub 1 mil.

Relatively low numbers, very low Japanese priority and the fact that real world events can ostensibly complicate releases in Nintendo's mind leaves me less than optimistic for it continuing soon, but I'd love to be wrong.

Top Bottom