• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This objectively makes no sense. "Squirtle" and "Ivysaur" in the context of Smash are their own entities that are tied to certain moves and attributes.
There's no reason they'd need different movesets. In Pokemon, any move that Squirtle can use, Blastoise can also use. And Blastoise are faster than Squirtles, not slower. Same with Venusaur and Ivysaur.

The whole "Venusaur and Blastoise are too fat to move like Ivysaur and Squirtle" sentiment sounds like non-Pokemon fans trying to dictate their moveset based solely on their appearance. Which has nothing to do with how those Pokemon actually work in the games.

Besides, if characters in Smash really were tied to their moves and attributes, that means we'll never get a decloned Ganondorf. And I'll never agree to with that position.

It doesn't matter if you're canonically the same entity as someone else in Smash.
Yes it does. It's 'EveryONE is here' not 'Every moveset with the same attributes is here'.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
So, what you're saying is, that compared to Gyromite, it wouldn't- Stack Up? :4pacman:
Sort of like that, but on the other hand I'm thinking of something else that's impossible (in my opinion), for the R.O.B. to get a stage based on both games, i.e. Gyromite and Stack-Up together even though as I wrote it is impossible.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
There's no reason they'd need different movesets. In Pokemon, any move that Squirtle can use, Blastoise can also use. And Blastoise are faster than Squirtles, not slower. Same with Venusaur and Ivysaur.

The idea that they'd have to change them into slow, lumbering beasts sounds like non-Pokemon fans trying to dictate their moveset based solely on their appearance. Which has nothing to do with how those Pokemon actually work in the games.

Besides, if characters in Smash really were tied to their moves and attributes, that means we'll never get a decloned Ganondorf. And I'll never agree to with that position.

Yes it does. It's 'EveryONE is here' not 'Every moveset with the same attributes is here'.
They still have different attributes from their lesser evolved forms, and they would still be different characters, and with the case of not needing different movesets, they would still be clones.

And if those two are faster than their lesser evolved counterparts, then it still doesn't change anything. In fact, Squirtle and Ivysaur being slower than Blastoise and Venusaur would add to their being clones of one another. (Blastoise with Squirtle and Venusaur with Ivysaur, that is) It just makes it more different.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman

The whole "Venusaur and Blastoise are too fat to move like Ivysaur and Squirtle" sentiment sounds like non-Pokemon fans trying to dictate their moveset based solely on their appearance. Which has nothing to do with how those Pokemon actually work in the games.

I thought we were over the whole "Stats from their debut game should translate over to Smash!" logic. Yoshi and Rosalina are light and heavy respectively in Mario Kart, but the opposite is true in Smash. Ike is quite fast in Fire Emblem, yet Smash portrays him as slow and burly. Luigi is weaker than Mario in most spinoffs but stronger in Smash, Wario and Bowser are usually sluggish in spinoffs but move quite fast in Smash, and so on and so forth.

Blastoise and Venusaur, by nature of being big and heavy, would have some sort of slowness whether it be movement or frame data. Every heavy in the game has this, from DK all the way to Kazuya.

I mean, your last point is kind of tragic because yes... we never got and probably never will get a fully decloned Ganondorf. Do we really need that? Responses may vary, but at this point the Falcondorf portrayal is more consistent than Ganondorf's portrayal in LOZ itself. People are familiar with and love the playstyle. He's always going to have some semblance of CF, just like Luigi still has clear influences of Mario in his moveset even after 5 installments that deliberately pushed him away from Mario.

It's technically the latter. If it were everyone, without caring about functions and movesets. Dr. Mario and ZSS would've been cut because they're the same entities as Mario and Samus. What they bring to Smash isn't their unique identity but their moveset. And that's why they're part of EiH.

Also, after Young Link came back practically unchanged from Melee, without even having a single Majora's Mask reference... I'd argue EiH is more about familiarity than anything. And Smash players are familiar with Pokemon Trainer as one character, not some weirdo split up Charizard but also Venusaur and Blastoise who really are the Ivysaur and Squirtle from Brawl/Ultimate but evolved and somehow we're supposed to know that kind of idea.

Let's replace Jigglypuff with Wigglytuff, guys.

Jigglypuff didn't actually get scrapped, they just EVOLVED! :wario:
Actually let's add Igglybuff but unironically.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I don't get why you need to evolve them, though. I kinda get Ivysaur, because middle evolutions are the awkward middle stage and all the Saurs have roughly the same body plan, but Squirtle and Blastoise are radically different. It would be like adding Beast Ganon but completely removing Ganondorf.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Pokemon stats have no bearing on how they are in Smash. Mewtwo has better defence stats than Charizard in Pokemon and yet Mewtwo is one of the lightest characters in the game whilst Charizard is among the heavier characters. And you can't use canon weight as an excuse because Mewtwo is also canonically heavier than Charizard.

You're making a fighting game, you need to balance in that context and leave basic RPG stats at the door.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why you need to evolve them, though. I kinda get Ivysaur, because middle evolutions are the awkward middle stage and all the Saurs have roughly the same body plan, but Squirtle and Blastoise are radically different. It would be like adding Beast Ganon but completely removing Ganondorf.
We also shouldn't be advocating for the removal of more cute Pokemon. Squirtle and Ivysaur are animated amazingly in SSBU, I wouldn't give that away for Water Bowser and a fatter Ivysaur.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You think Venusaur can use vines to be acrobatic?

It's literally my favorite Pokemon. It cannot do the things Ivysaur can do without looking completely wrong.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Pokémon is a turned based RPG
smash Bros is a fighting game.

In no way could Blastoise use Squirtles moveset without it looking wrong. Smash Bros doesn't just look at a list of attacks and creates a moveset. It basically always takes into account bodytype and how the character feasibly moves.

Also last I checked, Squirtle doesn't use big ol' jumbo cannons (which Blastoise almost certainly would)

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet
I almost always prefer English voice acting as a rule but I really miss Fox’s Melee voice. Marth and Roy were pretty iconic too.
Melee Fox spoke Japanese? I never picked up on that lol.

Melee Star Fox voices were great for sure. But me personally, I'm a Brawl Fox/Falco/Wolf voice guy. Falco especially, they nailed him there.

1) it'd be funny and the first genuine joke character since Melee
2) it's just adorable
This reminds me, do you guys think we'll ever get a legit joke character again (as in a "haha this character sucks" joke), or do y'all think Smash has moved on from that? I'm guessin they're done with jokes since y'know, the devs kinda care about balance now. But I think they should, playing a weakling's fun. Especially if they still have a couple good tools so you still have a route to win with dedication. A good joke character is like art to me.

Like Pichu. If it were up to me? They shoulda kept Pichu as a joke character in Ultimate. I got nothing against the lil rat but but I feel like her actually being useable ruins the joke. It's like Dan Hibiki being good. I wouldn't have minded some improvements, but seein Pichu do half the **** she can do in ultimate... it's not natural. I don't like it. All Pichu mains are lucky I don't run Smash. But if not her, I guess Glass Joe would be cool.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Melee Fox spoke Japanese? I never picked up on that lol.

Melee Star Fox voices were great for sure. But me personally, I'm a Brawl Fox/Falco/Wolf voice guy. Falco especially, they nailed him there.

This reminds me, do you guys think we'll ever get a legit joke character again (as in a "haha this character sucks" joke), or do y'all think Smash has moved on from that? I'm guessin they're done with jokes since y'know, the devs kinda care about balance now. But I think they should, playing a weakling's fun. Especially if they still have a couple good tools so you still have a route to win with dedication. A good joke character is like art to me.

Like Pichu. If it were up to me? They shoulda kept Pichu as a joke character in Ultimate. I got nothing against the lil rat but but I feel like her actually being useable ruins the joke. It's like Dan Hibiki being good. I wouldn't have minded some improvements, but seein Pichu do half the **** she can do in ultimate... it's not natural. I don't like it. All Pichu mains are lucky I don't run Smash. But if not her, I guess Glass Joe would be cool.
Agreed on the Brawl voices for Fox/Falco/Wolf. Those were great!

You know, about Falco in Brawl in particular, I remember reading that he sounded like a character from Yu-Gi-Oh. I can't remember the name, though.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
All that evolved stuff reminds me of how some people thought the Pikachu we got in Brawl was actually Pichu, but evolved because of Pikachu having a blue goggles alt like what Pichu had in Melee.
That's a fun easter egg and headcanon, not a half-assed excuse to replace characters.

Blastoise literally does not an cannot move like Squirtle. Venusaur cannot use the vines in the same way Ivysaur does. Characters are more than just themselves, and they're more than just functions. Finding the middle ground to make a character who acts like themselves and functions well is the key. We would not have gotten these fighters if they didn't have the evolution stages theming. Objectively. Charizard you could make a case for being alone in Brawl, but all three were added because they had a unique take on the stance change system.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
The world needs Magikarp

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Anyway...on the topic of Pokémon:

In other words, my top 3 choices for Gen 9 reps are as follows:
  1. Gholdengo
  2. Meowscarada
  3. Tinkaton
Not gonna stop you from supporting Gholdengo for your own reasons, but me, personally? I honestly couldn't give two ****s about it being "Pokémon #1000" since that means absolutely nothing to me.

Any Pokémon I support, I support because I like them or because I think they'd be interesting of a concept, and unfortunately, Gholdengo doesn't tick either of those boxes for me. Neither does the overrated Meowscarada either, to be fair.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

1. Gholdengo
  2. Meowscarada
  3. Tinkaton
Mine would be:

1. Ceruledge
2. Lokix
3. Great Tusk

Honorable mentions go to Koraidon, Miraidon, and Annihalape.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I thought we were over the whole "Stats from their debut game should translate over to Smash!" logic.
That depends what "logic" you're trying to replace it with. "Turtle is fat, so turtle is slow" is not better logic.

The argument made against being slavish to the source game is when it comes at the expense of a character playing well. Not, "This doesn't fit my casual interpretation of this character based on it's appearance."

I don't get why you need to evolve them, though.
Because I don't like transformations. And without the transformation aspect, there's no reason to stick to 1st or 2nd form. Especially when Blastoise's third form has all the cool water cannon stuff.

There's a reason we didn't get Froakie or Litten.

You think Venusaur can use vines to be acrobatic?

It's literally my favorite Pokemon. It cannot do the things Ivysaur can do without looking completely wrong.
I mean, it probably WOULD look wrong. But it literally CAN do anything an Ivysaur can do. That's how Pokemon work. Evolution is additive, not subtractive.

You're making a fighting game, you need to balance in that context and leave basic RPG stats at the door.
I agree. But what they're suggesting isn't balancing for a context of a fighting game, it's balancing around a character's appearance.

Their argument is "Well, if you make him big, he also has to be slow, because now he looks like he should be slow" And that's wrong from both a fighting gameplay standpoint AND a source material standpoint.

We also shouldn't be advocating for the removal of more cute Pokemon.
Lol. You're the reason I removed them. You're the one that said "If they aren't transformations anymore, what's the point of them being their unevolved forms?" and I was like, "Hey...you're right!"

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

1. Gholdengo
  2. Meowscarada
  3. Tinkaton
1. Penny but only as an excuse to make Eevee playable
2. um
3. ummmmmmmmmm

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I just want the closest thing to Godzilla I'd ever get in Smash.
u427dgz7o7rb1.jpg

I'd also gladly take Anihilape or Great Tusks, or even (in spite of people that like to obnoxiously seethe over Starters) Quaquaval.
The latter isn't even among my favorites and yet it's a perfect fit with a theme not yet present (dance fighter) that I can just picture.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I agree. But what they're suggesting isn't balancing for a context of a fighting game, it's balancing around a character's appearance.
Balancing around appearance is part of balancing for a fighting game.

Guess we should rally behind Honey Queen for officially being the 30th Mario Kart character. Pretty big achievement for a series that only started with 8, no?
No because they didn't make a big deal out of her. This is ignoring that Game Freak and TPC made a big deal out of Gholdengo being Pokemon 1000 itself. It's not a reason to support it like any dishonest person might try to postulate, it's just an argument in it's favour.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
My top pick for Gen 9 is Spidops-

okay okay great tusks would be really cool too
Haven't played the game because I refuse to play Pokemon but if I had to choose one it'd be Spidops so hi, you're not alone.

No because they didn't make a big deal out of her. This is ignoring that Game Freak and TPC made a big deal out of Gholdengo being Pokemon 1000 itself. It's not a reason to support it like any dishonest person might try to postulate, it's just an argument in it's favour.
I admit my reply was sarcastic and not meant to be taken seriously but I genuinely don't understand why being number 1000 would matter when other significant numbers of Pokemon didn't get preferential treatment either

Last edited:
Top Bottom