• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
What do you mean no? Smash Bros. is a fighting game that infuses platforming, not saying every franchise in Smash has to be a platformer, but if any one series on its own uses the gameplay of Smash, wouldn't it make sense if it was a series that involved platforming? Otherwise why not make it a different type of fighter? Like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear, which arguably makes more sense for series' like Fire Emblem or Xenoblade.
I like Smash's style duh but there alot of of characters in its series that won't get in ever due to priority ranking from other more important and popular picks.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
No.
Even in the original game only 5 of the characters six of you really want to include Samus come from platformer backgrounds
I think Juliusaurus is saying that the series should have a platforming background in order to get its own dedicated Smash clone, not that only platforming characters should get into Smash itself. I don’t really agree with that either just going by my previous example but I’m not sure if there was a misunderstanding there.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I think there was a misunderstanding, yeah.

I'll try to reword it... Say, there's a fighting game that involves one series, what type of fighting game gameplay would fit that one series best. And I would say, a platform fighter would fit a platformer series best.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I don't know how you will consider what I write, but if I have observed correctly, when a new console is going to be released, just before they do I mean, they always mention it every summer, which means (probably) that we will have news about the new console this summer and logically about games that will be released there, one of which will be Super Smash Bros. 6.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Didn't that Namco S team or show up rather recently? Like late last year? And with Sakurai announcing working on games again soon thereafter... I'm not sure we'll see what they've been cookin for at least a couple years.

And it's not like Iwata is still around to announce Smash Bros. games before they've entered development, heh... miss that guy...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think there was a misunderstanding, yeah.

I'll try to reword it... Say, there's a fighting game that involves one series, what type of fighting game gameplay would fit that one series best. And I would say, a platform fighter would fit a platformer series best.
I agree with that. I think platformers are the easiest to adapt into a Smash character given the similarities in genres. I agree with DarthEnderX that Mega Man would be an awesome choice for its own Smash game. I don’t think it’s really a requirement though. As Smash Up has shown, you can have a Smash style game without even being a video game property. As I mentioned, there are definitely some flaws with the game but nothing that couldn’t be worked out by a better developer or a bigger budget or time. The source material wasn’t what prevented the game from being as great as it could be.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Didn't that Namco S team or show up rather recently? Like late last year? And with Sakurai announcing working on games again soon thereafter... I'm not sure we'll see what they've been cookin for at least a couple years.

And it's not like Iwata is still around to announce Smash Bros. games before they've entered development, heh... miss that guy...
The Announcement of the Studio S and Studio 2 of Bandai Namco was around November of 2023 I believe, But Teams don't just pop out of thin air. I do think the Team was probably already established for at least some time. The main reason they probably announced it was for hiring purposes

At the least, we know that the New Engine that's being used for the Studio S Game (which is most likely Smash) was in development since 2019, and finishing sometime in 2022 - 2023. It was also developed by 2 People that have worked on Smash before, Including Ultimate

For more info, I got a Part 1 post about the Potential Development timeline of Smash 6

Official - Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread | Page 1039 | Smashboards

Alot of it is speculative, but there is some info about the Engine Development as well as past history of Development with Smash games

-------------

In My personal opinion, I think Nintendo already knew there was going to be a New Smash game before Ultimate came out, Similar to how there were already the idea of a BOTW Sequel after BOTW Came out, and probably that there will be a Next Mario Kart after Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

So there's probably some contingency plans in place to make it more likely that we'll get a New Smash at least somewhat soon. Of course since Smash is made by Namco Contractors and teams, they go back to Namco projects when Smash Development is done (if not on the DLC Team), like for Example Tekken 8.

That doesn't mean Sakurai knew since I think he was just focused on Ultimate itself, but even still, This New Engine I think shows that Development on the Next Smash I think was in the cards earlier than we might expect. I just think now with the Switch 2 coming up, Tekken 8 already out, and Sakurai probably being on board as of now, Development is in it's Full speed trajectory

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Are there any characters now that seem far more likely than during Ultimate's run and it's dlc time period? Any that seem likely as a lock to be a bit presumptuous?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Are there any characters now that seem far more likely than during Ultimate's run and it's dlc time period? Any that seem likely as a lock to be a bit presumptuous?
I think by process of elimination, many of the highly requested characters for Ultimate with a long legacy are much more likely this time around because those that were more popular are already in. This could include characters like Waluigi, Isaac, or Lloyd. Secondary reps for series that didn’t yet have a character would fall into this category. The biggest example here is Octoling. Conversely, popular characters that were introduced after Ultimate’s roster selection are more likely by default. This could include a new Pokemon like Meowscarada or characters like Noah and Mio from a more recent game.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I think Paper Mario has more chance than ever. During Ultimate, the latest game was Colour Splash. And Origami King came too late to be considered.

With a Thousand Year Door remake on the horizon, alongside Origami King itself, I think Paper Mario has more going for him than the other popular Mario RPG series character.

Bandana Dee also seems like a solid choice for the next game. I think NintenRob’s Kirby series video showed the merit he has now compared to during Ultimate.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The great Waluigi outcry of 2018 had to have been on someone’s radar.

Geno is more relevant than he’s been in decades, and probably as relevant as he’s ever gonna get. Considering how much attention he gets in the first place this might just be the push he needed.

Bandanna Dee recently became Kirby’s de facto player 2. This is a new development that may change in the future, but once again this may be the push he needed.

After seeing all the love indie games got in Ultimate, a full on indie character seems like a given at this point. I think Undertale is the wave.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I think Paper Mario has more chance than ever. During Ultimate, the latest game was Colour Splash. And Origami King came too late to be considered.

With a Thousand Year Door remake on the horizon, alongside Origami King itself, I think Paper Mario has more going for him than the other popular Mario RPG series character.

Bandana Dee also seems like a solid choice for the next game. I think NintenRob’s Kirby series video showed the merit he has now compared to during Ultimate.
Thinking Sakurai is gonna add anything more significant than spirits or some music from a zkirby game he didn't work on... Tsk tsk.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I really enjoyed the Thousand Year Door but I’d much rather have another party member rather than a third version of Mario. I know he’s got a lot of unique moveset potential but it’s still another Mario. My favorite is Goombella. I’d love to see what they could do with her moveset in Smash.

Aigis makes the most sense for the next Persona character if we get one. My favorite character from P3 is Mitsuru but Aigis probably has the more interesting moveset potential for Smash and was a bigger focus in the game. She even got her own side story in FES.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Gim
I really enjoyed the Thousand Year Door but I’d much rather have another party member rather than a third version of Mario. I know he’s got a lot of unique moveset potential but it’s still another Mario. My favorite is Goombella. I’d love to see what they could do with her moveset in Smash.

Aigis makes the most sense for the next Persona character if we get one. My favorite character from P3 is Mitsuru but Aigis probably has the more interesting moveset potential for Smash and was a bigger focus in the game. She even got her own side story in FES.
Gimme Vivian, easily the most popular party member and would offer completely unique archetype and abilities as a shadow being. Plus we'd finally get a voice for her.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Are there any characters now that seem far more likely than during Ultimate's run and it's dlc time period?
Lots of them. In some cases it's because we've shed some competition - if we got a new DK character, it would likely be Dixie Kong since K. Rool is here. If we get a new Animal Crossing character, it will almost definitely be Tom Nook, we have Isabelle already. The limited space on Ultimate's base roster as well as the shift in focus during DLC held a lot of characters back. Animal Crossing or Splatoon were never going to get two brand new characters in Ultimate under these conditions - only six unique newcomers - but rapidly growing, prominent IPs like them will be getting first dibs next game alongside your usual suspects.

As previously mentioned, Bandana Dee has went up in stock because of his trajectory within the series, Forgotten Land being one of his most notable roles to date. I believe Isaac has a better shot now than ever because there's notably less first party IPs introduced between releases, so it feels more justified to revisit a notably popular older series. Golden Sun was generously represented in base Ultimate. Waluigi is more popular than he's ever been, that's a strong fan push that grew exponentially during Ultimate. Those are some fan favorites that feel like they're propped up into a better spot this time.

And really, any number of third parties. We don't know quite what this situation will look like next time, but fan demand developed over the course of Ultimate DLC was probably not able to culminate into anything substantial given the timing and extensive planning. Microsoft is already an active partner and has acquired several notable characters, which makes it a bit more of a direct line to discuss with them. Secondary representatives of mainstay series such as Sonic or Street Fighter feel more justified after Sephiroth. And do what you will with it, but Geno isn't completely irrelevant anymore to boot.

Speculation had been dominated by third parties for nearly the entire course of Ultimate DLC. So there are a lot of first party characters, or supplemental third parties whose chances feel replenished going into a new game where they aren't competing with such high profile, conditional choices that also need to sustain a full bundle's worth of new content.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So... something that crossed my mind just a little bit ago. Not necessarily gameplay or character related but presentation related.

If the Switch 2 really ends up being a big leap over the OG Switch...

What do y'all think are the chances of them revisiting something like this again?

The reason why I mention hardware specifically is because the Switch seemed to have... issues loading in alts after initially booting up the character select screen, which wasn't really the case before. But if they've got more to work with, it'd be pretty cool to see them go back to unique CSS animations. Would definitely help the UI feel more fresh since it's pretty much just been character renders since Melee lol.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So... something that crossed my mind just a little bit ago. Not necessarily gameplay or character related but presentation related.

If the Switch 2 really ends up being a big leap over the OG Switch...

What do y'all think are the chances of them revisiting something like this again?

The reason why I mention hardware specifically is because the Switch seemed to have... issues loading in alts after initially booting up the character select screen, which wasn't really the case before. But if they've got more to work with, it'd be pretty cool to see them go back to unique CSS animations. Would definitely help the UI feel more fresh since it's pretty much just been character renders since Melee lol.
I would LOVE this but I fell it would take up too much screen space given the general roster size after the first one and maybe melee

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who never thought Paper Mario had any chance? Lol

He's basically Mario x Mr. G&W except his silhouette doesn't give him the versatility of G&W. The dude has no legs, stubby arms and can't bend his body at all. If he was ever considered, they'd have to go with the "summons props for every attack" approach which I hate. And at that point he'd just be M(a)r(io) Game & Watch.

Not to mention that there's many more Mario options that would garner a lot more hype like the aforementioned Waluigi, and although I don't get the hype myself, Geno. There's the more iconic Toad, the more marketable and popular Pauline, the more unique King Boo. There's no shortage of good Mario candidates, but Paper Mario isn't one of them.

No shade to anyone who wants him though, I totally understand. Mario RPGs are an untapped area in Smash. My super personal bias pick would be Baby Mario & Baby Luigi, representing the bros. attacks from the M&L series.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I would LOVE this but I fell it would take up too much screen space given the general roster size after the first one and maybe melee
Fair enough point, roster size would definitely play into its feasibility. The main thing that kinda spurred it was thinking of SF6 and Tekken 8's character select screens, but thinking about it more, yeah they've got a lot more real estate to work with. Easier to implement it with 2 players and 20-30+ characters as opposed to 2-8 with 60+, I'd imagine.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The reason why I mention hardware specifically is because the Switch seemed to have... issues loading in alts after initially booting up the character select screen, which wasn't really the case before
The problem the Switch has is that the renders it has to load are larger than necessary, they're 2048x2048 images when 512x512 would suffice. That, and the stage textures are being loaded at the same time.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Am I the only one who never thought Paper Mario had any chance? Lol

He's basically Mario x Mr. G&W except his silhouette doesn't give him the versatility of G&W. The dude has no legs, stubby arms and can't bend his body at all. If he was ever considered, they'd have to go with the "summons props for every attack" approach which I hate. And at that point he'd just be M(a)r(io) Game & Watch.

Not to mention that there's many more Mario options that would garner a lot more hype like the aforementioned Waluigi, and although I don't get the hype myself, Geno. There's the more iconic Toad, the more marketable and popular Pauline, the more unique King Boo. There's no shortage of good Mario candidates, but Paper Mario isn't one of them.

No shade to anyone who wants him though, I totally understand. Mario RPGs are an untapped area in Smash. My super personal bias pick would be Baby Mario & Baby Luigi, representing the bros. attacks from the M&L series.
Huh his stubby limbs makes me rethink him honestly

What do you mean no? Smash Bros. is a fighting game that infuses platforming, not saying every franchise in Smash has to be a platformer, but if any one series on its own uses the gameplay of Smash, wouldn't it make sense if it was a series that involved platforming? Otherwise why not make it a different type of fighter? Like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear, which arguably makes more sense for series' like Fire Emblem or Xenoblade.
I don't want that

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Gimme Vivian, easily the most popular party member and would offer completely unique archetype and abilities as a shadow being. Plus we'd finally get a voice for her.
I wish Vivian could escape Paper Mario Purgatory™ like Goomboss and the Star Spirits did and start appearing in mainline/spinoff titles. Vivian's design is really cool and cute, and I wish she wasn't confined to one game.

Rawk Hawk and Lady Bow, too. There's a lot of banger character designs stuck in Paper Mario; not saying everyone should be brought over, but I'd love to see the most popular characters make the jump.

(Man, now I really want to fight Rawk Hawk in a wrestling-style battle in the next 3D Mario...)

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I wish Vivian could escape Paper Mario Purgatory™ like Goomboss and the Star Spirits did and start appearing in mainline/spinoff titles. Vivian's design is really cool and cute, and I wish she wasn't confined to one game.

Rawk Hawk and Lady Bow, too. There's a lot of banger character designs stuck in Paper Mario; not saying everyone should be brought over, but I'd love to see the most popular characters make the jump.

(Man, now I really want to fight Rawk Hawk in a wrestling-style battle in the next 3D Mario...)
Give Vivian the thicc (3d) body she deserves!

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think Most Characters have more of a Chance for this game than for Ultimate, but I'll go in the Negative zone and do Characters I think are less likely than during Ultimate, as well as Characters I don't think are Locks. I'll also do Characters I think are Maybes/Dependent on certain factors

Not a Lock

Tom Nook: He's a Very Sensible Option, and Animal Crossing just came off being the 2nd Most Sold game for the Switch, as well as being the Most Sold game on the Switch in Japan. Tom Nook is also the Character I think of when thinking of Animal Crossing, that hasn't changed

With that being said, I still think Animal Crossing not being a Series that lends itself to Smash is still a Factor in terms of Fighting, not because it makes the Characters impossible, We do have Villager and Isabelle after all, but because Depending on what other Characters are in Consideration, I think from a Fighting game Standpoint I could see a Character like Nook being outpriortized by many Characters, despite the Series he Comes from

With that being said, I do think Tom Nook has a good shot. I just won't be surprised if he's not in, but I won't be if he is actually in.

Maybe or Maybe not in Base

Noah and Mio: I Don't think they are getting Skipped, but I'm not sure if they will be Base. I do think the Mechanics of Xenoblade 3 with ouroboros as one of them being represented in Smash gameplay could be a great showcase of the power of the New System, but I could see that waiting till DLC to Implement.

Akira Howard: I think has more chances than Noah and Mio being in base. Their game was more a niche hit compared to Ring Fit, and the Leigon seems more complicated than the Ring, which is why they aren't a Lock for me unlike Ring Fit Trainee. I think they will be in the game eventually though if not in Base

Not in the Base Roster

Gen 10 Pokemon: I know Pokemon has had Recency Picks in it's Base roster with early Concept art and such, but I think because DLC is definitely going to be a factor for this Smash game, I just think it could wait, especially since Sword and Shield as well as Scarlet and Violet are very popular Pokemon games (despite their Controversies)

Maybe or Maybe not in the Roster

Monster Hunter: If there is a Gameplay Hook that Capcom Devs can agree on for representing the Hunter in Smash, they are in. If not, Then Monster Hunter will probably get an Increase in Non-Playable Content, but not a Character

Resident Evil: If the Ratings are Increased, or there are Changes allowed to get around the Limitations of using Weaponry realistically and having the Biohazards designs not as Bloody (like with Green blood ala MVC2), it's in. If Not, I don't know

Chun-Li: Terry does have Charge Input, but can a Moveset based around Charge Inputs be built in Smash? If yes, She's in. If not, while I think Chun-Li could be represented without Charge Inputs, I think since Sakurai is all about the Attention to Detail, and Chun-Li's Main gameplan is built around her having Charge inputs, if it can't work, She's not in, Despite her Iconic Status. I do think Charge Input based moveset can work and be Fun, but it will take work implementing

Fortnite: Since no Nintendo characters will be Appearing in Fortnite, if Epic gives a Good deal to allow usage of Fortnite in Smash, It's In, but if not, then No Fortnite. I also don't think it will necessarily be Jonsey to represent as Playable

Sans: IS Toby willing to allow Sakurai to bend Sans's Character a bit to make him Fit into Smash as a Character? if Yes, Then Sans is In, but If Not, He's definitly getting Assist Trophy'd. I do think you have to break/Evolve Sans's Character a bit to make him fit into Smash and not just make his Moveset about Spamming and Doing pranks on people.

Either Way, I think we'll get an Undertale character in Smash, It's just whether it's Frisk/Chara, Sans, or Both

Alucard: There's really nothing to say he except if he's Prioritized over other characters. He's Major in the Netflix series so maybe

Doomguy: The Mii Costume was made before Bethesda got Acquired by Microsoft. Honestly I think that Mii Costume might have been saying that this is it for Doomguy, but with that new Revelation, things can change

KOS-MOS: Is Her moveset so Cool that she can Defy the odds and somehow get onto the Playable Roster? If so, then it would be a Miracle, even more than Geno. If not, then It wouldn't be surprising given the state her Franchise is in. The main thing is that since Namco is Developing Smash, and she was already allowed in XBC2, there should be no issue in terms of rights

Gen 8 Pokemon: Is Sakurai and the Smash Team willing to Double Dip (Triple Dip with Gen 10 in DLC) on Pokemon on the Roster? If so, then we are definitly getting a Gen 8 Pokemon in base because Sword and Shield sold numbers. if not, then We'll get a Gen 9 Pokemon, and Gen 8 will go along with Gen 3 and 5 in being skipped for a Playable character

I don't think it's Looking Good

Katalina: I think Granblue will get a Character in Smash, But I definitely think Katalina is out of the running for Representing the Series. If they want to go the route of having Gran/Djeeta in, I think the New Switch can handle the "Class/Job Change" gameplay Mechanic they would bring. If they go any other route, there are more popular characters in the Series

Dante: His VA being in limbo might not be that much of a Factor, but honestly, The Mii costume kind of puts things into limbo with me for Dante, Makes it seem like there are no Plans for him. That and honestly, For Smash specifically Nero would probably be a better fit because he isn't as Overstuffed as Dante is in Material, and his Arm means he has a Defining Character trait than just the general DMC Mechanics

Phoenix Wright: He's Definitely getting Assist Trophy'd in my Opinion, unless something comes up. The Landscape of Smash has expanded so much, and honestly because he doesn't have Canon Fighting Material, and his Genre is kind of Niche (with another Candidate from his genre fitting more for what Smash is). I do think he could beat the Odds if they do make a hook of a Lawyer Work in the Concept of Smash.

Marvel vs Capcom had to do so much Improvising in terms of his moveset in that game, and the flow of how people move in Marvel is not how people move in Smash. I think Personality wise, Miles might actually fit Smash more than Phoenix would

Travis: Kind of Similar deal to Dante except it's even more over for him

Shantae: Same thing. It's weird because she technically is one of the Oldest Indies out there along with Reimu, and she actually has multiple games unlike Alot of Indies, but I think she Needs a 3D Game to propel her Series to New Heights.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given their abilities, potential for switching, and various battle moves, the specific Mario & Luigi from the RPG series of the same name would make for an interesting, albeit very unlikely duo given the awkwardness of having a pairing based on two characters already in Smash.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
The reality is that the Mario RPGs are a pretty minor part of the Marioverse overall. Like, imagine being a character who's not only locked into spinoffs but also locked into spinoffs which are clear tiers below other same-franchises spinoffs, in this case behemoths like Kart or Party, and even things like Mansion or Tennis. And your same-series competition, like your Toads and Waluigis of the world, appear prominently in those other upper-tier spinoffs to boot. It's just a serious uphill climb for the likes of Paper Mario and Geno to stand out; I mean in a vacuum their games do well because of that good old Mario branding but considered relative to the competition, it's a lot more bleak.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The reality is that the Mario RPGs are a pretty minor part of the Marioverse overall. Like, imagine being a character who's not only locked into spinoffs but also locked into spinoffs which are clear tiers below other same-franchises spinoffs, in this case behemoths like Kart or Party, and even things like Mansion or Tennis. And your same-series competition, like your Toads and Waluigis of the world, appear prominently in those other upper-tier spinoffs to boot. It's just a serious uphill climb for the likes of Paper Mario and Geno to stand out; I mean in a vacuum their games do well because of that good old Mario branding but considered relative to the competition, it's a lot more bleak.
I think I'd be more optimistic about Mario RPG characters in Smash if Nintendo had made the effort to include them in other spin-offs and unfortunately, they really haven't. I mean Mario Kart Tour was giving invitations to every Mario related figure under the sun, and even then, characters from Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi didn't pop up. If they're not getting in there, it is difficult to imagine Smash being that different especially given the much higher standard for entry.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
On the subject of Paper Mario, I'd be down for them going with a party member and creating mostly original moves for them but I'd still prefer Paper Mario himself.

Though in my case I want a package deal where the party members are along for the ride too. One partner would be out and could be freely swapped for another. One special would be dedicated to swapping partners, Up Special would be Parakarry regardless of who is out and the other specials (and some normal attacks) would be determined by the current partner. Some partners could have a few additional changes as well like Yoshi replacing PM's dash.

The hammer makes up the Smash attacks. Some of the Pixls could be used for throws and a taunt, etc.

I do basically just want the character focus to be on the first 3 games. I know it's incredibly biased but Sticker Star, Color Splash and Origami King offer nothing that I find interesting for moves or additional characters. I think they make for better stage ideas with their own gimmicks attached to them.

So, Sticker Star has actual stickers as items unique to the stage that can be collected and placed for varying effects. Or Color Splash could have you actually color parts of the stage in by landing attacks close by. A restored section would then have a layout change like additional platforms or something. And the same origami theme of OK lends itself really well to some cool stage changes/transitions.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Geno, Paper Mario or whoever, the most captivating part about a Mario RPG character to me is implementing those games’ distinctive combat system. Timing based attacks, multiple inputs and so forth to maximize their strength. Neither are specifically among my most wanted these days but their potential is still uniquely exciting.

It’s always so satisfying to execute an attack perfectly in a Mario RPG and I’d love to carry that feeling over into Smash. Feel like that would be the “x-factor” that gets either of these characters into the game, and it’s a mechanic that I think would translate over quite well.

Also, maybe controversially, I think one of the main things you’d want to carry over from the modern Paper Mario games is… well, the paper part. It was present to a degree in the older titles too, but I think leaning hard into that distinctive quality for his animations and some of his quirks would allow him to stand out further from Mr. G&W. Have him crumple up for a crouch, give him a purposefully slow fall speed (with a fastfall stomp dair). I even like some of the new ideas like the confetti, which could be a fun up smash. Certain aspects like the hammer are evergreen and present in every game, and I’d +1 Kirbeh’s pitch for a partner switch mechanic as well. There’s a lot of potential here from every corner that makes me a bit excited about the idea again. Feel like there’s a way to make everyone happy.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Geno, Paper Mario or whoever, the most captivating part about a Mario RPG character to me is implementing those games’ distinctive combat system. Timing based attacks, multiple inputs and so forth to maximize their strength. Neither are specifically among my most wanted these days but their potential is still uniquely exciting.

It’s always so satisfying to execute an attack perfectly in a Mario RPG and I’d love to carry that feeling over into Smash. Feel like that would be the “x-factor” that gets either of these characters into the game, and it’s a mechanic that I think would translate over quite well.
Well, I think Geno should be first, not only as an RPG Mario character, but to represent the combat system as well. Plus, I was a kid when Super Mario RPG came out years ago, and not to be that guy, but I never played Paper Mario.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just want Fawful in Mario Kart, so many posibilities for Mario characters to pick from and were stuck with Pink gold peach and the Koopalings

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I just want Fawful in Mario Kart, so many posibilities for Mario characters to pick from and were stuck with Pink gold peach and the Koopalings
I still think it’s a shame the Koopalings have become such a contentious addition. They’re not remotely on the same level as Pink Gold Peach, they’re all distinct characters with fun designs. Like, Lemmy and Roy are not even remotely similar. Once upon a time we were even excited that they were coming back, and now people are totally burnt out on them.

I wonder what happened? Do we just associate them with the oversaturated NSMB titles? Does the main series just not do a good enough job establishing their unique personalities? Because it’s never very convincing to me when people act like they’re a scourge on Mario Kart of all things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom