• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
1000 Pages, Smash Speculation truly never dies down.

Topic I thought up: who are some characters you want in smash just for the music they’d bring?
There aren’t any characters I want JUST for the music they’d bring but there are several where the music is a big part of it. Here’s just a few that come to mind:

H’aanit (Octopath Traveller)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Magus (Chrono Trigger)
Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra)
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft)

Post 40000!!!

Who's your most wanted character now! Is it still the same for Ultimate?
It’s hard to say exactly who my number one most wanted character is. My favorite video game character is Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy but since he has absolutely no chance to make it, he’s a bit weird to have as a most wanted. Another of my all time favorite characters is Magus from Chrono Trigger. While he’s still a long shot, he’s got a much better chance than Zegram. Finally, my brother’s favorite and most wanted characters are the Battletoads. Since I already got Sephiroth in Ultimate, I’d rather see him get his absolute favorite characters than another of my own. I also really like the Battletoads and I think they’d be awesome in Smash so I’ll go with them.

TLDR: Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sparking Zero's roster count has been released.
And only half of them Gokus!

It would be literally impossible but still, crazy dreams.
Nothing impossible about it.

On this the 1000th page I shall reaffirm my wish for Rygar to join Super Smash Bros. Please, Nintendo!
At least give me a Spirit! For the checklist!

1706534353311.png

My MW going into Ultimate was Simon. Now it's Ryu Hayabusa.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here’s a question, if one of your most wanted characters have had wildly different designs throughout their different incarnations, is there a particular design you want to see or does it not matter much as long as you get the character? I think the particular design has a big impact on several characters I’d love to see although I would still be happy regardless. Here’s a few examples from my own list:

The Battletoads - SNES Battlemaniacs designs
Impa - Hyrule Warriors design
Jinx or Vi - Arcane design
Zero - Mega Man X design
Lu Bu - Dynasty Warriors 7 or 8 design
Sub-Zero - Ultimate MK3 design

Some popular characters like Ryu Hyabusa and Doom Slayer have very different retro designs compared to their modern designs as well. Do you prefer a particular one for these?

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Of course it is possible
Just expect Tanuki Mario, Dr. Luigi, Every Peach costume from PPS, Toon Zelda, Young Zelda, all the Koopalings and Heroes split into individual spots, and many more Marthlikes.
Nah they really didnt split characters!
Yes They reused some moves but dragonball has a pretty humogenous cast anyways everyone punches and shoots energy!
It does make perfect sense to do a lot of versions of the main cast to cover every era!
I mean DB Games only have to cover 1 IP!
For example Hyrule Warriors and mario kart do the same!
Here’s a question, if one of your most wanted characters have had wildly different designs throughout their different incarnations, is there a particular design you want to see or does it not matter much as long as you get the character? I think the particular design has a big impact on several characters I’d love to see although I would still be happy regardless. Here’s a few examples from my own list:

Zero - Mega Man X design

Some popular characters like Ryu Hyabusa and Doom Slayer have very different retro designs compared to their modern designs as well. Do you prefer a particular one for these?
Hmm difficult question i mean i have one pick were design is important Octoroks as long as they have one of their 2d designs im happy (even with the phantom hourglass design) if they are Uglyroks (3d ones) I dont want them!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Warriors Orochi 4 has a roster of 170 playable characters. I haven’t played 4, but previous games have had well over 100 playable characters with no real clones. I’m not sure how a Warriors character compares to a Smash character in terms of development time and resources but it does show that it’s possible to have a large roster without most of them being clones. I do know that some of the modern Warriors games have relied more on cloned movesets based on the weapon but it wasn’t always like that and we still had a huge roster. To my knowledge, Warriors Orochi 2 had zero clones and managed to have a 92 character roster.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion

Zero - Mega Man X design

Does wanting Awakening Tiki and pre-NL Tom Nook count

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Zero - Mega Man X design

Oh ****, great question

Arle - They'll most likely use the modern Sonic Team design, and that's 100% fine by me, but I really like some of her old-school Compile-era designs. I'm particularly fond of the more anime-ish looks in stuff like ~n or Waku Puyo Dungeon that really sell the "sorcerer" vibe. Would be cool if we got one of those.

Akira - I think Akira needs the red and blue gi, it's his coolest and most distinctive design as opposed to the all-white look which might step too much on Ryu's toes

Sol Badguy - If Sol gets in, I really hope he has the old-school skinny XX-era Daisuke art look, that's always been my favorite design for him and that entire era is easily, by far, my favorite aesthetic GG has ever had

Bomberman - This one's less with regards to design and more about general vibes - I've not got too much confidence on this considering stuff like his Spirit art and the music in his Mii trailer, but if he got in I'd hope he leaned less on Super Bomberman R and more into the classic late 90s Saturn Bomberman Hudson-era aesthetic, with the old voice and all. Get all the PC Engine and SNES stuff in there too, give him the Louies, put in Mujoe as an assist, etc etc. Again though, I'm not counting on this since the series has seen pretty much an entire reboot under Konami and Smash seems to be following suit in that regard.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Octoling - Playable may be marketable but i REALLY prefer the Rival Octolings. Keep up the rivals motif. More enemies/villians and most important a more appealing design to my tastes.

Bomberman - His Smash Design. I know he has other designs like the circle head but i prefer the square personally

Post 40000!!!

Still Geno! Still Shadow!

I do have other wants but they aren't strong as those 2.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, if it hurts not to ask, you guys think a Nintendo Direct will be announced in the next week or two?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah. We're coming up to the time of year when Nintendo Directs are typically announced. It might be a big one because this might also be the grand unveiling of the new console.
What makes you say that about the unveiling of the new console?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Post 40000!!!

Going into Ultimate, it was Simon. After that, at some point during DLC, it became Ryu Hayabusa.

Eventually, I started having more MWs, such as Billy and Jimmy Lee, Doom Slayer, and Kunio and Riki.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Chorus Kids / Rhythm Heaven character and Arle, so yes more or less. I've been a ride or die supporter of a Rhythm Heaven character since Smash 4 and began staunchy supporting Arle somewhere along the way during Ultimate after getting into Puyo Puyo.

There aren't a lot of other characters I feel that actively passionate about these days. I suppose my support for Sans has surged since Ultimate because next game we get to start with a fresh slate and he was already a great mii costume last time. And Undertale has had an extra 4-5 years to maintain its relevance and it's succeeded in that, so I think it's safer to say its legacy is affirmed and it just feels more justified to support it now.

who are some characters you want in smash just for the music they’d bring?
Definitely Prince of All Cosmos for Katamari jams, that's the main one. I think he'd be a fun character too but the music is the big X factor for me.

Here’s a question, if one of your most wanted characters have had wildly different designs throughout their different incarnations, is there a particular design you want to see or does it not matter much as long as you get the character?
I'd be happy to get my favorite characters regardless, I can't think of a design I outright dislike that they could even feasibly end up using. But there are a few where the outfit or design is at least variable to some extent.

Arle - I definitely want to see them shoot for a blend of Compile and modern here, likely skewed in favor of the Sonic Team design but I'd like to see Smash kinda do their own spin on it if Sega lets them. There are a couple figures out where the Sonic Team Arle looks pretty great in 3D, so I'd be happy if Sakurai was pulling inspiration from those. Bottom line I guess no specific preference but I want to see them play around with it for the best of both.

Chun-Li - I really would like to see them lean into her proportions and animations from Third Strike. That's just the coolest version of the character in my opinion. Obviously would be remiss if they didn't have an Alpha costume, too. I wonder if they'd take the Ike approach and distinctly model her younger?

Tom Nook - I like the sweater they like to portray him in recently, but I would like his blue apron to be his default. The sweater could be an alt.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Post 40000!!!

For Ultimate It was Ridley #1 and Banjo-Kazooie #0 (really didn't think they could happen).
Now it's a three-way tie between Dixie Kong, Bomberman and Doom Guy. I'd say Dixie is number one though.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Post 40000!!!

Paper Mario - He’s been around long enough, and not just a Mario clone, that I think he deserves a shot. He feels like the middle ground between Geno and Waluigi for a new Mario character.

Noah and/or Mio - I doubt both get in. It’s one or the other, and it’s not like Pythra where they shared both body proportions and made canonical sense. Ouroboros would also be too complicated. Unpopular opinion, but I think Noah gets in.

Tails or Eggman - I think now that Frontiers released, it feels a bit more justified to have a second character. Eggman would likely be similar to Bowser Jr, while Tails would likely be a semi-clone of Sonic just with a recovery and maybe specials.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Zero - Mega Man X design

Actually for Rygar yeah I'd prefer his PS2 design over the nes one. Not only is it way more up to date looking but in the PS2 game he has 3 different diskarmors which would be nice to see in a potential moveset.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Tails would likely be a semi-clone of Sonic just with a recovery and maybe specials.
I think at most, someone like Tails or Knuckles is kind of a Wolf to Sonic's Fox. Pretty much entire new normals, prioritizing their unique design assets and abilities, but a few shared attacks that make sense to standardize across the cast. Tails / Knuckles can spin dash, but maybe Tails' will have more of a multihit property or Knuckles could be like a heavy spindash that is slightly slower but heftier. Maybe a shared nair, and if they can't come up with anything else some sort of Homing Attack and Spring would work fine too. Similar animations, and some special attack framework (with unique function). Probably a bit closer to Isabelle in respect to the latter where you're sharing 2-3 special concepts and have a couple totally unique ones.

The rest I feel would be super different. Like, it'd be weird to add Tails and not have him use those things prominently. I guess you could have him toy around with some gadgets too, although those are never too consistent across the series. May need to get creative.

So I feel like these characters, built off the basic "hedgehog" body type mold would be easier to animate with the framework already present but would deviate a lot. Honestly, in my opinion this is one of the best points in their favor. And then Tails might have some extra dev time poured into a unique flight mechanic or something, or Knuckles with a digging mechanic, and that might even them out since they'd be introducing something new. But I think this relative ease of production is a pretty good point in their favor.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Zero - Mega Man X design

Anna - Awakening design
Impa - Tears of the Kingdom design
Toad - Not the Captain design

Any hopes/predictions for this year’s February Direct?
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think that the biggest sleeper pick is a sportsmate from switch sports.
It's funny, I was just thinking about the Sportsmates last night, and how a lot of you on here were torn on whether or not they would replace the Miis for future Smash games going forward.

Personally, I think Smash can easily have both. Keep the Miis as they currently are, and use the Sportsmates as the sports-themed Smash Bros. rep that most folks thought the Miis were going to be.

I really like this, although I'd much rather they opt for Mach Rider or Excitebiker with this kind of idea. Because I'm so down for some sort of mount character always riding something around, probably one of the concepts / archetypes I'd want to see portrayed the most. I just think I'd be a little underwhelmed if the execution was through another Mario character, kind of like how even though I like Piranha Plant I feel like they're a step below other "surprise" characters for what they're setting out to achieve. I think Mario Kart is generally well represented through items and stages but there is more than enough to work with here. Side note though, I wish they went harder on the Mario Kart music selection since they designated a whole separate category for it.
Yeah, I'm of the same mind. If Smash ever decides that it's ready to add a playable 'mount' character, I'd sincerely prefer it to be someone completely new at that point. Bonus points if it's either Mach Rider and/or Excitebiker (both of whom were even in consideration for Melee, ironically enough).

Oh yeah, I finished up my moveset for Kyle Hyde a bit ago after finishing Last Window, in case anyone wanted to read it.

Overview: Kyle Hyde is a character with a focus on close and midranged brawling, and a special mechanic where he can wear down the opponent through debuffs. He's also a very adaptable character in the right hands, and can alter his style of play depending on the foe's own style, such as by using his down special to steal and redirect enemy projectiles. An adaptable brawler who works to wear down his foes to secure his victory.

Jab - A simple three punch combo consisting of two hooks and an uppercut. As an ex-cop, Kyle knows his way around a fight.

Dash Attack - Kyle performs a charging tackle, ramming his shoulder into the foe.

Forward Tilt - Kyle kicks one leg outward in the fashion of a "Sparta kick." Similar to Ganondorf's forward tilt.

Up Tilt - Kyle spins a small metal wire above his head, motioning as if trying to pick a particularly stubborn lock. Similar to Villager's up tilt in execution.

Down Tilt - Kyle crouches down and kicks his leg outwards in a tripping motion. This has a chance of causing any foe hit by it to trip, should they connect with the tip of his foot.

Neutral Air - Kyle does a quick spin in mid air while holding onto his almost comically-worn suitcase, which smacks into foes who stray too close.

Forward Air - Kyle takes his crowbar and swings it upward in a scooping motion, doing high knockback if it hits.

Back Air - Kyle quickly rummages through his pocket and throws a handful of pencil graphite shavings behind him. The dust cloud effect acts as a hitbox...nobody likes getting graphite in their eyes.

Up Air - Kyle swings his crowbar overhead in an arc, smacking foes with it for high knockback.

Down Air - Kyle slams a sledgehammer downwards below him. This move acts much like Byleth's down air, where it has significant start-up but a strong meteor effect.

Forward Smash - Kyle pushes a hotel cleaning cart, letting it barrel forward. The longer the charge, the further the cart will travel. It can also roll off the edge and do damage while falling.

Up Smash - Kyle clasps both hands together and swings a sledgehammer in an upward swing. A strong finishing move showcasing his physical prowess.

Down Smash - Kyle leans down, takes a billiard cue, and lunges it forward. This only hits one side of him, but has a long range, with the tip of the cue doing much more damage, and also launching any object it hits as a projectile.

Pummel - Kyle performs a quick upward punch to the foe's stomach.

Forward Throw - Grabbing the foe by the arm, Kyle swings them forward in an overhead throw.

Back Throw - Kyle swings the foe behind him.

Up Throw - Kyle performs a simple upwards toss on the opponent.

Down Throw - Kyle lunges at the foe and performs a takedown, knocking them into the ground.

Neutral Special - Take Note - Kyle takes out a notebook and jots down a note. If he performs this move right before or while being struck by an attack, a sound effect will play, and a notebook icon will appear next to his HUD. The move that has been noted will have its damage and knockback be greatly reduced on subsequent uses. Up to three notes can be taken at once, and all notes are discarded when Kyle is KO'd. If a new note is taken while three are already held, the oldest note will be overwritten.

Side Special - Gutter Ball - Kyle rolls a bowling ball straight forward as a projectile that travels along the ground. If it falls off the edge, it becomes a heavy, falling projectile.

Up Special - Rope - Kyle takes hold of a bundled up rope he found and tosses a looped end of it upwards. It acts as a tether, so if it connects to the stage, he'll pull himself up. He can also drag airborn opponents down to him.

Down Special - Lost and Found - Kyle pulls out his suitcase. If this happens as Kyle is next to an item or about to be hit by a projectile, the item or attack will enter the case instead. If the button is held down, a pop up menu appears, much like Shulk's Monado Arts wheel. This shows Kyle's inventory, which has three slots, allowing you to pick an item to throw back. In this sense, it is an upgraded version of Villager and Isabelle's Pocket move. However, there is a catch. To make up for having two more slots to hold items or attacks, any non-physical projectile Kyle "finds" will not go as far when thrown back. He's a fairly grounded mortal man, after all. And fear not when facing a foe who has no projectile attacks: Kyle's inventory will always start with two items, a Pinkie Rabbit doll, and a bottle of Cool Pop. The small doll is a physical projectile that can be thrown in an arc, while the Cool Pop is a stationary item that can be placed on stage, and explodes in a flood of fizz after a short time (it can also be launched with Down Smash).

Final Smash - Take a Seat - Kyle Hyde throws a chair forward, and if it hits a foe, a cutscene plays. The chair and the foe crash through a door, dazed on impact and heavily damaged. Kyle, from the end of the hallway, takes the doorstop from the fire door, and the door shuts, locking the foe away forever and launching them.

Taunts:

Up Taunt - Kyle puts his hand on his chin and shakes his head.

Side Taunt - Kyle takes out a paperclip as the Item Collection sound effect plays.

Down Taunt - Kyle pulls out his Pinkie Rabbit Game & Watch game and plays it until the taunt is cancelled.
Your Kyle Hyde moveset is amazing!! It honestly makes me want the private eye in Smash all the more, if I'm being honest.

Post 40000!!!

Given how they weren't added to Smash by the time of Ultimate... I should mention that this isn't ALL of the characters I'd still want. It's just the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Bandana Waddle Dee
Mona
Lark
Chun-Li
Waluigi
Sakura Shinguji/Sakura Amamiya
Dixie Kong

Last edited:
Top Bottom