• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Re: SSBU DX

I still think it should be a DLC expansion with 11 new characters (3 of them Echoes) and a handful of new modes.

I’m confused by the meaning of “third party, Japanese only”. Do you mean third party characters originating from Japan or third party characters exclusive to Japan?
Sorry, my bad.

I meant exclusive to Japan.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Nothing comes to mind. Almost nothing is Japanese-only anymore.
Yeah, I can’t think of anything either. The only Japanese only characters I’m aware of are first party like Takamaru. Not that I’d be against one if they went with that, I’m just not familiar with any.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, it was worth a try.

Anyway, am I the only one who wants something from the game Myst in the next Smash Bros. game? Possibly a stage?
That could be fun. We don’t really have any reps primarily from PC games and Myst was fairly popular back in the day. I’ve never played the game but I do remember it. I think it could potentially make for a cool stage.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That could be fun. We don’t really have any reps primarily from PC games and Myst was fairly popular back in the day. I’ve never played the game but I do remember it. I think it could potentially make for a cool stage.
Agreed.

I don't think there would be a good character to play as from that game, even though I did make a moveset for one of the characters from Myst.

I would love to see more PC games as well in Smash Bros.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
The specificity seems unfixed. Some clearly use it synonymously with 'cereal box mascot'. Those can be humans.

I'm sure you'd have people say Rayman would fit. Or Bonk or Goemon. Maybe Shantae and Arthur. Some people would include Pac-Man and Bomberman.
And then you could start getting into arguments about Mega Man.
What about Mario? he's a human too.

EDIT: Sorry, i left this comment on the backburner.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
.....because it's content that was already present and unfinished and not started from scratch post-release?

How is that even a question? No seriously, how?

I want to hear your logic as someone who thinks people can just wave a magic wand and add content you want with a flick of the wrist without any drawbacks.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Agreed.

I don't think there would be a good character to play as from that game, even though I did make a moveset for one of the characters from Myst.

I would love to see more PC games as well in Smash Bros.
Yeah, there are a few primarily PC characters I’d love to see as well, namely someone from StarCraft, WarCraft, or League of Legends. All but WarCraft have some history with Nintendo and all have a big enough legacy to justify a roster spot. They just announced that season 2 of Arcane is coming out this November which could potentially coincide with the start of Smash previews. Microsoft’s acquisition of Blizzard could potentially help the chances of a StarCraft or WarCraft character.

Are there any primarily PC games you’d like to see some content from in the next Smash, whether as a playable character or something else?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, there are a few primarily PC characters I’d love to see as well, namely someone from StarCraft, WarCraft, or League of Legends. All but WarCraft have some history with Nintendo and all have a big enough legacy to justify a roster spot. They just announced that season 2 of Arcane is coming out this November which could potentially coincide with the start of Smash previews. Microsoft’s acquisition of Blizzard could potentially help the chances of a StarCraft or WarCraft character.

Are there any primarily PC games you’d like to see some content from in the next Smash, whether as a playable character or something else?
Not much I can think of honestly, no.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I don't see backwards compatibility affecting anything tbh. They made a huge leap in game engine from brawl to 4 despite wiiU being able to play Wii games, and I am pretty sure smash 6 will be the same, that is, a newer engine streamlined to take advantage of the new hardware specs, new 1 player modes, etc. I am not certain but the only time this actually happen was Ultimate MK3 adding stuff onto MK3 but that wasn't across SNES to 64 but were both SNES so it doesn't count really if we're comparing it to switch/switch 2

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I always found it interesting how little overlap there is with Smash fandom and PC gaming. I’ve been a huge Nintendo fan my whole life but also played PC games for a while. You’d think there would be a comparable amount of overlap with PC as there is for rival consoles. Most people I know of have had a PC at some point but I can imagine quite a few people just sticking with Nintendo for a dedicated home console.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I always found it interesting how little overlap there is with Smash fandom and PC gaming. I’ve been a huge Nintendo fan my whole life but also played PC games for a while. You’d think there would be a comparable amount of overlap with PC as there is for rival consoles. Most people I know of have had a PC at some point but I can imagine quite a few people just sticking with Nintendo for a dedicated home console.
I think while a lot of PC fanboys think consoles are worthless trash holding back gaming (never mind that if we got rid of consoles, there'd still be mobile games and low-end computers), they have a soft spot for Nintendo because Playstation and Xbox have been trying to be diet PC's since the seventh gen while Nintendo's systems just try to do their own thing.

Usually it's in the form of emulating their stuff and bothering to invest in emulating the Switch vs. emulating the PS4/Xbone (the latter is pointless since MS wants any "Xbox exclusives" to also be on PC) rather than actually buying Nintendo systems though.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't see backwards compatibility affecting anything tbh. They made a huge leap in game engine from brawl to 4 despite wiiU being able to play Wii games, and I am pretty sure smash 6 will be the same, that is, a newer engine streamlined to take advantage of the new hardware specs, new 1 player modes, etc. I am not certain but the only time this actually happen was Ultimate MK3 adding stuff onto MK3 but that wasn't across SNES to 64 but were both SNES so it doesn't count really if we're comparing it to switch/switch 2
What about Mortal Kombat Trilogy on the N64 and PS1? Weren’t they just a further expansion of Ultimate MK3 on the SNES? I could be wrong there but that’s what I assumed.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
How is that even a question? No seriously, how?
I literally TOLD you how. Lots of games add modes and completely overall their gameplay mechanics long after launch in ways that weren't started before the game launched.

You're trying to paint being in development prior to launch as this hard developmental cutoff to a feature being added, and that's complete, utter, 100% pure, horse****.

I want to hear your logic as someone who thinks people can just wave a magic wand and add content you want with a flick of the wrist without any drawbacks.
Who the hell said anything about no drawbacks? It would obviously take more effort.

More effort that it is completely possible to do. As proven by games like: No Man's Sky, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, Fortnite, every MMO ever, and so on. Effort that, Nintendo of all companies, can afford to put into one of their most successful games.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What about Mortal Kombat Trilogy on the N64 and PS1? Weren’t they just a further expansion of Ultimate MK3 on the SNES? I could be wrong there but that’s what I assumed.
It’s a similar premise, but it plays differently imo. But this coming from someone who hasn’t touched the home console versions in at least five years (I replayed MK3 back when I still had my SNES)

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I literally TOLD you how. Lots of games add modes and completely overall their gameplay mechanics long after launch in ways that weren't started before the game launched.

You're trying to paint being in development prior to launch as this hard developmental cutoff to a feature being added, and that's complete, utter, 100% pure, horse****.
What's pure horse**** is that you are completely arguing a strawman since my point was that using Home-Run Contest and Stage Builder as a point towards how more content "can be added later" is an argument in bad faith given the circumstances behind those modes coming later.

Now, I get you have this insatiable appetite for Smash Ultimate to never end and give you everything you want and nothing you don't.
But I highly suggest you fly lower to the sun, Icarus, lest your wings burn up.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Who the hell said anything about no drawbacks? It would obviously take more effort.

More effort that it is completely possible to do. As proven by games like: No Man's Sky, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, Fortnite, every MMO ever, and so on. Effort that, Nintendo of all companies, can afford to put into one of their most successful games.
maybe don’t use a game that has been accused of crunch culture in an example of more effort

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What's pure horse**** is that you are completely arguing a strawman since my point was that using Home-Run Contest and Stage Builder as a point towards how more content "can be added later" is an argument in bad faith given the circumstances behind those modes coming later.
You said "the only reason Home-Run Contest and Stage Builder happened later were because they were already planned". Which means that they COULDN'T have been added later if they hadn't already been planned. And that is false.

maybe don’t use a game that has been accused of crunch culture in an example of more effort
I'll use any example I want when someone says that something that's literally already happened is somehow impossible.

And it's not crunch if you spread it out over more time or across more people. Two things that, again, Nintendo can afford to do.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Now, I get you have this insatiable appetite for Smash Ultimate to never end and give you everything you want and nothing you don't.
But I highly suggest you fly lower to the sun, Icarus, lest your wings burn up.
Why are you talking to a 45-year old man like a child on the internet by using cryptic pseudo-intellectual proverbs?Prevent your repetitive arguments with this man. You’re only talking about hypotheticals. Calm down. Lest your wings burn up too.

Out of 150 posts you’ve made so far, you’re arguing with him in 100 of em, so why not just block him so you don’t have to see his posts? :sakbanjo: Save us from your melodrama and prevent moderation from having to put grown adults in timeout.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I mean, it isn't that surprising when Smash is a Nintendo thing and unlike other consoles, you can't really connect as a player of Nintendo games to people of PC gaming while PlayStation and Xbox are more hand-in-hand with shared content between communities.

That's not to say connection is impossible, but there's a higher degree of separation between communities.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Why are you talking to a 45-year old man like a child on the internet by using cryptic pseudo-intellectual proverbs?Prevent your repetitive arguments with this man. You’re only talking about hypotheticals. Calm down. Lest your wings burn up too.

bottomtext

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If you can't argue with someone in a civil manner, you can always put them on your ignore list, or just choose not to respond to them. There's no reason to be rude over a conversation about modes in a video game, of all things.

On the topic of Smash speculation, whenever we get a Smash announcement, I wonder what newcomer(s) will be announced alongside the game. I can't think of any really obvious picks like Inkling or Bowser, or characters that people had wanted to see for a while like Meta Knight, Pit, Mega Man, or Wario. (maybe Geno, but I'm not sure if he'd be the type of character to be revealed when the game is first announced; I could be wrong, though)

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
View attachment 383677

S-Super Smash…Bros…?
Frick, I made a meme and now I don't know how to post from my phone.

Pain.

On the topic of Smash speculation, whenever we get a Smash announcement, I wonder what newcomer(s) will be announced alongside the game. I can't think of any really obvious picks like Inkling or Bowser, or characters that people had wanted to see for a while like Meta Knight, Pit, Mega Man, or Wario. (maybe Geno, but I'm not sure if he'd be the type of character to be revealed when the game is first announced; I could be wrong, though)

If Waluigi is really in, it only makes sense to have him shown off first and get him out of the way or be the "BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE~" reveal at the end of the initial trailer.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Japanese Music? (Original) or American Music? (4Kids)
Both? Both, both is good.

Let's try changing the subject...again.

What third party, Japanese only characters would you like to see as playables in the next Smash Bros. if they were to get in?
Doesnt really count anymore but the Super robot wars character i want to see in smash's debut game was Japan only.

Masaki and Cybuster, who was the series's first protagonist and showed up in most of the early entries in the series, eventually becoming a supporting character who shows up to help the current cast in later games as a party member.

But since some of those later games WERE released outside of japan im not sure it counts since you can see him right there in english:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
this is now a slither wing thread

its a bug type and bugs are cool
(wish starters weren't prioritized to get the newcomer spots cause there are a lot of non starter mons with more unique designs)
They aren't; what's prioritized is the potential gameplay theme the Pokémon provides, which the Starters coincidentally have had the most appeal for to Sakurai.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Can the agreement also be done as a vote? I ask because I want to vote in favor of your idea.
I’m good with never discussing cuts again. Whether that’s speculating who gets cut or complaining that I don’t want cuts. I just don’t find the topic particularly interesting and I’d rather just speculate on characters I’d love to see added. I’ll concede that cuts are inevitable at some point because the roster can’t expand forever, I just don’t like to focus on that.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I’m good with never discussing cuts again. Whether that’s speculating who gets cut or complaining that I don’t want cuts. I just don’t find the topic particularly interesting and I’d rather just speculate on characters I’d love to see added. I’ll concede that cuts are inevitable at some point because the roster can’t expand forever, I just don’t like to focus on that.
Agreed. It has been done so many times, and I don't think it ends well most of the time, does it not?

Top Bottom