• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Hey guys, what kind of non-starter line pokemon do you want in smash. While I like Greninja and Incineroar, I would like to break the mold on that front. Personally I think Eevee, Gengar, and even a different legendary pokemon would be an interesting fit. Do you think more legendary pokemon should be in smash? If so, who?
Gengar was always a peak choice for me, it's a really sick 'mon and would be really cool to see playable.

I feel that Gen 3 always got the short end of the stick when it comes to a playable character in Smash. I think I'd like to see Loudred or Exploud. I like the idea of a fighter that has a moveset revolving around sound, there's a lot of directions you could take it in.

If I'm allowed to be self-indulgent, I'd pick Tinkaton, because I love its design and... just like, look at the size of the hammer relative to her body. This character could be a contender for having some of the most satisfying moves to land in the game. The most unga of bunga of characters, if you will.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey guys, what kind of non-starter line pokemon do you want in smash. While I like Greninja and Incineroar, I would like to break the mold on that front. Personally I think Eevee, Gengar, and even a different legendary pokemon would be an interesting fit. Do you think more legendary pokemon should be in smash? If so, who?
Honestly. I want a legendary Pokemon to be playable again.

Give me the bike boy.

Give me Koraidon!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Literally Aipom. Potential versatility you can do with it's hand tail.

AlRex

Smash Lord
If we're talking Punch-Out, I want to see Mike Tyson punch Cloud in the face with his left fist and toss Jigglypuff into the abyss with his right.
Dude! I never beat him I had to settle for Mr Dream bc I was at a friends house when I played Tyson and also only 10 but then in HS I bought a NES and beat Punch Out that was a day or days. I 100 percent endorse Mr. Dream/Mike Tyson haha but unfortunately

View attachment 382227
This is the really real world!
Said it before, but Mike Tyson is the actual answer to “Who’s the most iconic Nintendo character not in Smash?”

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I've become a lot more interested in Eevee joining these past few years under the assumption that it's the most likely Pokemon that's as far away from Incineroar as possible.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I've become a lot more interested in Eevee joining these past few years under the assumption that it's the most likely Pokemon that's as far away from Incineroar as possible.
Eevee becoming a boxart Pokémon back in 2018 made me get on the Smash train for it. Lots of different elemental effects to choose from and that rare quadrupedal stance which always makes a moveset more interesting.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
So nothing related to Nintendo themselves

You keep repeating "Still it's Nintendo game" without understanding what that actually entails. Nintendo's game in terms being a game mostly based on Nintendo IPs, published and exclusive on the Nintendo Platforms. Sure.

final say when comes to advertising, basic guidelines, legal requirements and constraints with other parties involved or the occasional check-up on character representation. Other than that, it's all on Sakurai and his team at Bamco. They have literally admitted they couldn't do without the latter.
I think something went wrong with the quoting/reply, so I don't know if it's going to show up properly.

It's contract work. Nintendo can step in and make mandates/requests as I said last time. As we both acknowledged, they usually leave Sakurai and Bamco to their own devices. I was merely pointing out that the option is there if they wanted to go for it, though so far it hasn't been the case. Probably wasn't worth the hassle during development in Ultimate, I acknowledged that as well.

Perhaps I'm misreading your wording, but I don't get how you can say "nothing related to Nintendo" despite it being their IP? In regard to on the ground development, sure, they're more hands off because they outsourced the project and trust Sakurai to do his thing. What I don't get is why you think Nintendo pushing for certain goals is somehow outside the realm of possibility or entirely out of their hands.

MK8D and Arms came out almost 7 years ago. Idk about you but i wouldn't call that "recently"
Recently as in within this past console generation, I should have clarified in my previous post. I'm glad those games have rollback, my point was simply that progress on that front has been slow and a bit inconsistent. It's improved but I'd like to see them take it further.

I brought up Pallosand a few pages back, I still think they could have a cool sand bending moveset with some other more typical ghost type stuff thrown in as well.

As for legendary pokemon, I'm still a Deoxys and Darkrai supporter. From the newer gens I'd take Urshifu and Ogrepon.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Recently as in within this past console generation, I should have clarified in my previous post. I'm glad those games have rollback, my point was simply that progress on that front has been slow and a bit inconsistent. It's improved but I'd like to see them take it further.
MK8D and Arms came out almost 7 years ago. Idk about you but i wouldn't call that "recently"
How exactly does rollback work in MK8D anyway? Specifically, how is it more possible than rollback in Smash?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
We're talking Pokémon? You should see my half-built Absol concept. A hard-hitting stage control character with a neutral special that lets you foresee one of a few weather-based disasters that then happens near your location a few seconds later.

This is making me wish we could get a Pokémon-specific platform fighter all over again.

Far as Eevee goes...I still haven't figured out a concept that feels high enough quality and practical to develop. Eevee on its own has a surprisingly small movepool unless you rely on the exclusive moves from LGPE, and I'm iffy about relying on moves that only appeared in a late Gen 7 game when we're halfway into Gen 9. Tapping into the Eeveelutions would fix that problem, but if you rely on some kind of evolution mechanic, you'd have to fudge canon and come up with additional fighter designs for each evolution you use. Potentially involving completely different moves and hitboxes if you use certain ones--Vaporeon has a long tail while Jolteon doesn't have one at all, Sylveon's ribbon appendages have no counterpart on the others, etc. Including every evolution would require 9 different sets of stats and hitboxes, but including only 2-3 would be difficult for other reasons, since you'd need to narrow down which ones while ensuring they have the right combination of popularity and variety in stats/elements/playstyles.

Is it impossible? I don't know. It's a 2,000 piece puzzle where only the borders are easy to put together.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
How exactly does rollback work in MK8D anyway? Specifically, how is it more possible than rollback in Smash?
Without actually peeking under the hood it'd be hard to pinpoint what parts are the biggest roadblocks, but if I had to guess it's an input/response issue. Smash is a faster game than Mario Kart, input wise (and I guess you could kind of argue gameplay wise?) Rollback is predicting the inputs players are going to perform and then proceeding with the simulated assumed frame. It "rolls back" to the last correct frame if incorrect and revises the outcome using the actual inputs. In fighting games you tend to be making a LOT of inputs in quick succession, and most fighters are 1v1. Smash on the otherhand has to account for up to 8 players, which while less than a game of Mario Kart, is still likely to have an exponentially higher amount of inputs from the players. And then on top of that Smash has a bunch of other variables other fighters don't have like a bunch of items spawning in, assist characters (the catch here being they're cpu controlled and not predetermined functions like an assist in marvel vs capcom for example), and other stage elements, etc. Those could also potentially play a part, but again hard to say.

We're talking Pokémon? You should see my half-built Absol concept. A hard-hitting stage control character with a neutral special that lets you foresee one of a few weather-based disasters that then happens near your location a few seconds later.

This is making me wish we could get a Pokémon-specific platform fighter all over again.

Far as Eevee goes...I still haven't figured out a concept that feels high enough quality and practical to develop. Eevee on its own has a surprisingly small movepool unless you rely on the exclusive moves from LGPE, and I'm iffy about relying on moves that only appeared in a late Gen 7 game when we're halfway into Gen 9. Tapping into the Eeveelutions would fix that problem, but if you rely on some kind of evolution mechanic, you'd have to fudge canon and come up with additional fighter designs for each evolution you use. Potentially involving completely different moves and hitboxes if you use certain ones--Vaporeon has a long tail while Jolteon doesn't have one at all, Sylveon's ribbon appendages have no counterpart on the others, etc. Including every evolution would require 9 different sets of stats and hitboxes, but including only 2-3 would be difficult for other reasons, since you'd need to narrow down which ones while ensuring they have the right combination of popularity and variety in stats/elements/playstyles.

Is it impossible? I don't know. It's a 2,000 piece puzzle where only the borders are easy to put together.
The Absol idea sounds interesting, I take it you plan on doing a full video for it sometime down the line?

As for Eevee, I have to agree honestly. I fully admit, Eevee has never interested me on its own and with 8 evolutions I don't think there's a good way of doing the evolution mechanic unless they do go all in and dedicate 9 move sets for one concept. I'd be all in favor for some Eeveelotion representation in some form though. I'd personally prefer if they just stick to one like Vaporeon or Sylveon and fully tap into their unique traits, or they could pick a pair to serve as echoes of each other like Espeon/Umbreon or Leafeon/Glaceon.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
There are a ton but I’ll narrow it down to my three favorites in each gen (plus a couple bonuses):

Gen 1: Gengar, Electabuzz, Kabutops
Gen 2: Houndoom, Gligar, Sneasel
Gen 3: Zangoose, Seviper, Deoxys A
Gen 4: Gliscor, Toxicroak, Garchomp
Gen 5: Cofagrigus, Zoroark, Kyurem
Gen 6: Clawitzer, Noivern, Malamar
Gen 7: Golisopod, Lycanroc MN, Necrozma
Gen 8: Orbeetle, Toxtricity, Corviknight
Gen 9: Ceruledge, Great Tusk, Lokix
Other: Sneasler, Hisuian Zoroark

I’d be really hyped to see any of these but I’m doubting most are very likely.

Even though I really like Vaporeon and I like several other Eeveelutions, Eevee itself never really appealed to me too much. As for its moveset, I think it would make sense to use its various exclusive attacks from Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee. It would probably want various elemental attacks to reference the types of its various evolutions and the Let’s Go moves are perfect for that even if that have pretty ridiculous names.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
For me it’s
Gen 1: :132:
Gen 2: :245:
Gen 3: Deoxys
Gen 4: Regigigas, Porygon-z
Gen 5: Landorus
Gen 6: Diancie, Aegislash
Gen 7: Magearna, Buzzwole
Gen 8: Dragapult
Gen 9: Tinkaton

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You don't have to settle for lame Mr. Dream. TD Mr. Sandman in Wii PU basically fights the same as Tyson and is a much cooler character.
Cool! I've never played the WiiU game but I also loved Mr Sandman in the nes game. It actually took me longer to beat Super Macho Man than Mr. Dream.

Man why didnt we get that tiger dude as a assist

Ivander

Smash Legend
Gen 1: Ditto, Gengar.
Gen 2: Scizor, Azumarill, Tyranitar.
Gen 3: Breloom, Flygon, Deoxys.
Gen 4: Garchomp, Darkrai, Froslass.
Gen 5: Zoroark, Chandelure, Galvantula, Golurk, Hydreigon, Genesect.
Gen 6: Aegislash, Heliolisk, Sylveon.
Gen 7: Mimikyu, Golisopod, Ribombee, Nihilego.
Gen 8: Zacian, Toxtricity.
Gen 9: Ogerpon, Palafin, Tinkaton, Baxcalibur, Ceruledge, Koraidon.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I have successfully been sold on Gholdengo and all his radical surfer dudeness

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hawlucha is my favorite Pokemon, and in general I think they would have been a fantastic choice, but it feels like that ship has sailed. Incineroar ended up doing the eccentric wrestler shtick well enough that it was able to scratch my itch and then some. But I feel like Hawlucha was an especially underutlized Pokemon for how naturally they were built for this exact purpose - they're not even in Pokken!

I feel like perhaps the greatest absence from the Pokemon lineup is some sort of eerie trickster type character, like Gengar or Mimikyu. Someone just very strange and mysterious who can slither along the ground and otherwise just be a ghastly pest. I guess the situation has never quite aligned for a ghost type to make the cut but I think this is an area that is fairly unique to Pokemon, a flavor only they can provide which... I don't have much of a problem with it, but several of the later additions (fun designs aside) feel like characters chosen to fill archetypes (ninja, grappler / wrestler) rather than driven by something fresh and original that Pokemon has added to the conversation. Does that make any sense? I dunno.

Special additional shoutouts to Genesect, Toxtricity, Tinkaton and Gholdengo. I just think all of these guys would rock. And Meowth, bless his soul.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Hey guys, what kind of non-starter line pokemon do you want in smash.
Garchomp.

Dragon and Ground are 2 types that aren't a Fighter yet.

Hawlucha is my favorite Pokemon, and in general I think they would have been a fantastic choice, but it feels like that ship has sailed. Incineroar ended up doing the eccentric wrestler shtick well enough that it was able to scratch my itch and then some.
Hwalucha brings a luchadore moveset though. Which is different from Incineroar's power wrestling moveset.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hwalucha brings a luchadore moveset though. Which is different from Incineroar's power wrestling moveset.
Yeah, I'd still love to see it but for all intents and purposes I'm just glad that we got something a little bit similar. The grappler focus and overall flamboyance of Incineroar's fighting style channels some of what I had in mind.

Wish we could see these two go at it, not necessarily in Smash, but Hawlucha seems to have gone largely by the wayside unfortunately. If they let Hawlucha become an emblem of Pokken like they were destined to be then maybe their legacy would be more firmly rooted.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

This is still a departure from how Eevee functions in canon (unless you want to stretch and say this idea represents the SOS system from Sun and Moon), but maybe Eevee could summon the other Eeveelutions for special attacks like Captain Commando in MvC or Captain Ginyu in DBFZ? Obviously, Eevee has a lot more evolutions than specials, but you could work around that by tying each generation of Eeveelutions to a specific direction (Gen 1 on neutral special, Gen 2 on side special, etc.). From there, you could either have the player cycle through each evolution per use in a set order (similar to Sora's spells) or you could allow the player to set which evolution on each special using down or shield special. Eevee could then be balanced around having mediocre offense and/or speed, necessitating strategic use of these tools to get in. That would make Eevee play similarly in both Pokemon and Smash, being an otherwise subpar combatant with a ton of versatility that knowledgeable players can utilize to respond to a wide variety of situations.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
This is still a departure from how Eevee functions in canon (unless you want to stretch and say this idea represents the SOS system from Sun and Moon), but maybe Eevee could summon the other Eeveelutions for special attacks like Captain Commando in MvC or Captain Ginyu in DBFZ? Obviously, Eevee has a lot more evolutions than specials, but you could work around that by tying each generation of Eeveelutions to a specific direction (Gen 1 on neutral special, Gen 2 on side special, etc.). From there, you could either have the player cycle through each evolution per use in a set order (similar to Sora's spells) or you could allow the player to set which evolution on each special using down or shield special. Eevee could then be balanced around having mediocre offense and/or speed, necessitating strategic use of these tools to get in. That would make Eevee play similarly in both Pokémon and Smash, being an otherwise subpar combatant with a ton of versatility that knowledgeable players can utilize to respond to a wide variety of situations.
This is kind of my problem with Eevee tbh. Whenever it comes up it's almost always a situation where it's mostly a vehicle for including the other Eeveelutions. Nothing wrong with including the Eevee line, it's one of the most beloved in the franchise after all, but I'd rather have a single (or a couple if time allows for it) fully realized Eeveelutions over an Eevee that relies on its evolutions to even function as a character.

That's not to say I think solo Eevee lacks merit mind you. It's not my preferred choice for an Eevee rep (or Pokémon in general,) but I do think you could make a moveset for it without forcing the others in as assists or a multi-transformation gimmick. And for the record, I think a Captain Commando style character or one with multiple installs/forms are still good ideas, I just don't think Eevee is the best choice simply due to the number of options being on the higher side. (And the CC assist thing doesn't really fit Eevee or Pokémon in general imo)

I'd settle for an Eevee with a simple moveset, that's kind of its thing too. It does have lots of evolutionary potential, but as plain Eevee it's a simple, normal type Pokémon. Just so long as it's not based around Partner Eevee, that moveset would be Baddy Bad...
Okay, hear me out.

Dragapult
Go on.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion

I think this is majorly and unnecessarily putting Eevee in a box in saying it has little potential outside of implementing some crazy mechanics with its evolutions. Eevee exudes personality as much as any other Pokémon, and even with seemingly generic moves could have an awesome kit in Smash. It's super cute, it plays and messes with its opponents, and you can reference the evolutions through the alt colors and/or the FS.

I actually think Eevee works best with a relatively simple moveset that focuses on these themes. In addition to any non-referential moves you could come up with, it even has plenty of canon material that fits with it if that's more your fancy, for example multiple taunt/stun moves like Baby-Doll Eyes, Sand Attack, or Tail Whip; stuff like Swift or Round for projectiles; various tackling moves; and so on. Not that all of this would necessarily have to be used, but Eevee's got no shortage of things it can do in keeping with a coherent moveset.
You might argue that most of the moves I mentioned are fairly generic and non-unique in themselves, but they all work splendidly with Eevee specifically as vessels for bringing out its playful personality. There's very few mons with Eevee's blend of pure iconicness, popularity, and ability to bring the most out of the moves it can perform through the way that it performs them. All it needs to do is be its cute little self on the battlefield to win over the hearts of fans. At bare minimum, just whacking its tail and paws around, with a little creative juice put into it, could honestly give it just as good a moveset as several ostensibly more unique characters. Bonus for being another great contrast to the more traditionally fighter-esque mons on the roster.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
This is still a departure from how Eevee functions in canon (unless you want to stretch and say this idea represents the SOS system from Sun and Moon), but maybe Eevee could summon the other Eeveelutions for special attacks like Captain Commando in MvC or Captain Ginyu in DBFZ? Obviously, Eevee has a lot more evolutions than specials, but you could work around that by tying each generation of Eeveelutions to a specific direction (Gen 1 on neutral special, Gen 2 on side special, etc.). From there, you could either have the player cycle through each evolution per use in a set order (similar to Sora's spells) or you could allow the player to set which evolution on each special using down or shield special. Eevee could then be balanced around having mediocre offense and/or speed, necessitating strategic use of these tools to get in. That would make Eevee play similarly in both Pokemon and Smash, being an otherwise subpar combatant with a ton of versatility that knowledgeable players can utilize to respond to a wide variety of situations.
Maybe you can base it on Red's Eeevee from the Pokemon Manga, which was unique in that it had the ability to swap between eeveelutions and then change back into an Eevee.

That could give it some interenting moveset options.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but from the Lode Runner series it is almost certain that nothing will appear in the Super Smash Bros series and I am writing this because the Lode Runner series after the Broderbund company that made it has been used by other companies like Hudson Soft who had Bomberman from Bomberman for NES become Lode Runner at the end. Now from what I read the Lode Runner series is now owned by Tozai Games, the hard thing is to think of the stage and protagonist as well as the moves because as I wrote so many companies have used it so it's not easy to think of which version of the protagonist and stage of the Lode Runner series some would prefer to the Super Smash Bros. series.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wonder if I’m the only one here that has Cofagrigus as one of their favorites. It’s always been right up there with Gengar and Golisopod around tied for my absolute favorite but I never hear anyone talk about it. It might be difficult translating it to Smash because it doesn’t really have a normal frame but it would definitely be interesting.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wonder if I’m the only one here that has Cofagrigus as one of their favorites. It’s always been right up there with Gengar and Golisopod around tied for my absolute favorite but I never hear anyone talk about it. It might be difficult translating it to Smash because it doesn’t really have a normal frame but it would definitely be interesting.
Cofagrigus is one of my favorite Pokemon.

You are not alone.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i was quite fond of cofadrigus when he was first revealed way back when. but he did come in the same gen as my favourite ghost type so you know

anyway talking about pokemon in smash is interesting so long as you don't restrict yourself. after all we have 1015 potential pokemon newcomers. the vast majority of whom are unlikely but again why restrict discussion.

one thing i'm in favour of is a pokemon with a more unusual body type as a fighter. i thought mimikyu was ideal for this having both an unusual body type and being an instant hit with the fans, made so much sense. and there's even more pokemon that also have odd types not seen in smash's roster, teapots and chandeliers, birds and bugs, fish and blobs. sometimes it feels like sak has taken the easy route with pokemon fighters.

another thing i'd like to see it a fighter with an moveset based around a pokemon's ability. granted some as easier to adapt than others but it's still an untapped well of potential. my own choice for this would be eiscue switching between his noice and ice head forms for either slow and deffensive or fast and offensive. but of course there's even more you can do. how many people have come up with ideas for zoroark's illusions?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i was quite fond of cofadrigus when he was first revealed way back when. but he did come in the same gen as my favourite ghost type so you know

anyway talking about pokemon in smash is interesting so long as you don't restrict yourself. after all we have 1015 potential pokemon newcomers. the vast majority of whom are unlikely but again why restrict discussion.

one thing i'm in favour of is a pokemon with a more unusual body type as a fighter. i thought mimikyu was ideal for this having both an unusual body type and being an instant hit with the fans, made so much sense. and there's even more pokemon that also have odd types not seen in smash's roster, teapots and chandeliers, birds and bugs, fish and blobs. sometimes it feels like sak has taken the easy route with pokemon fighters.

another thing i'd like to see it a fighter with an moveset based around a pokemon's ability. granted some as easier to adapt than others but it's still an untapped well of potential. my own choice for this would be eiscue switching between his noice and ice head forms for either slow and deffensive or fast and offensive. but of course there's even more you can do. how many people have come up with ideas for zoroark's illusions?
Oh yeah, there are tons of really interesting Pokemon abilities that could translate into fun Smash mechanics. I posted my brother and my idea for a Zoroark illusion ability about a page ago if you’re interested. Simple mechanics like Rough Skin or Poison Touch would be relatively easy to implement. Something like Speed Boost could gradually increase the Pokémon’s speed during a stock until they are knocked out and it resets. Regigigas’ Slow Start would work pretty much the same way but would be more a direct jump from slow to fast instead of a gradual increase.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean I want Smash fans to understand Pokemon marketing isn't just restricted to the latest batch of starters, but I have Eevee be my "anti-Incineroar" and not...uh...Kakuna for very good reasons.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My favorite Pokémon is the trapped composite of 108 spirits of the damned, but I don’t think Spiritomb is fit for Smash. I haven’t played Pokémon since Gen 7, so I’m out of the loop on whoever will be next.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So when I think of Pokemon in Smash I first think about who's already playable and try to imagine a case for who's the next Pokemon to join. What is the consensus for each in terms of why they're in the game? How does this help us figure out who's next to join?

:ultincineroar: I'm assuming this was Sakurai wanting a wrestling character in the game
:ultlucario:"replaced" Mewtwo in Brawl but honestly besides having a giant energy ball attack they're not too similar and Lucario was pretty popular even back then (though for me I didn't get into Lucario until after Brawl released)
:ultjigglypuff: Easy clone of Kirby as I understand, but c'mon man she's still hilarious in the show and I'm glad she was included
:ultpichu:so if i understand my generations right Pichu was introduced in gen 2 after Pikachu even though he's the earlier evolution. It's cool that he was in it but I don't exactly know why. They're movement clones and he's got the self inflicted dmg mechanic but they're not the same size so I'm wondering if they even saved time making Pichu.
:ultpikachu:The Star of the Show the face of Pokemon there isn't a place on Earth he's not known. Kinda like Jesus or Santa Clause.
:ultmewtwo: he's the "bad guy" from the first movie and hype
:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard: Ash's Pokemon with Charizard being also hugely popular so it made sense to both include all 3 and then to have zard remain when the trainer mechanic was scrubbed over system limits.
:ultgreninja:?????? I have no earthly idea why Greninja is in Smash. He's awesome don't get me wrong I just have no idea how popular he is or what reason Sakurai could have for adding him.

Now that they're all listed we can see that as we knew just about all of these characters are from much earlier generations. I'm thinking there must be a reason Smash has stayed centered on these and less so on newer ones. If I'm not mistaken Incineroar and Greninja are the "newest" (gen 7 and 6) and we didn't get a gen 8 and gen 9 may also get skipped based on timing. I guess my point is it seems early generation heavy as if Pokemon as a whole is getting less modern as time goes forward whereas FE is "keeping up with the Jones'" and that maybe this idea that Pokemon always gets an obligatory new rep is only kinda true. I dunno, lol.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Kingambit could count as both a Gen 5 and a Gen 9 rep, and we don't have a Pokemon from either generation. Plus there could be some unique mechanic to reference Supreme Overlord, like getting a power-up the more allies have lost their stocks in a Team Battle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom