• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You don't need to put a Mii Maker in the game. You have official specific Mii designs for the actual characters now thanks to the amiibo and renders etc. making it clear. Just returning that is enough. It would be nice and is preferred, but it's not a requirement.

Really, the most difficult thing is making new costumes, not returning them. And they're extremely popular additions and people love the costume aspect since it gives more options.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You don't need to put a Mii Maker in the game. You have official specific Mii designs for the actual characters now thanks to the amiibo and renders etc. making it clear. Just returning that is enough. It would be nice and is preferred, but it's not a requirement.

Really, the most difficult thing is making new costumes, not returning them. And they're extremely popular additions and people love the costume aspect since it gives more options.
not the same for people who like their miis dressing up as characters as opposed to pretending the miis are the characters

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
not the same for people who like their miis dressing up as characters as opposed to pretending the miis are the characters
I'm aware, but they wouldn't cut them just cause the Mii Maker is gone. That's only a part of it. Selling the Costumes is also a major part, along with full customization of the Specials that isn't present anywhere else anymore. They still have a specific niche beyond the "outside the game" factor.

I don't see them being cut simply like that. Miis are popular anyway.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm aware, but they wouldn't cut them just cause the Mii Maker is gone. That's only a part of it. Selling the Costumes is also a major part, along with full customization of the Specials that isn't present anywhere else anymore. They still have a specific niche beyond the "outside the game" factor.

I don't see them being cut simply like that. Miis are popular anyway.
I agree with you on that, the miis aren’t going just cause the makers gone

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Removing the Mii Maker removes the main selling point of the Mii Fighters. The moveset customization and costumes were an extension of the create-a-character idea. Costume sales could be shifted to the rest of the cast, and if they really wanted to still have a fighter with a customizable move set, they could pick a few existing characters (it was once Palutena's gimmick as well) or add Ray Mk III or something.

Keeping the Mii Fighters around without the Mii Maker makes no sense, and adding the Mii Maker to Super Smash Bros. makes even less sense.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Mii Costumes are absolutely a key selling point of them(literally too). Making your own Mii is important, but the Customization in other ways are directly how they're presented. All three things are very important. You actually can't really do much with them without the Costumes and customizable Special Moves. This is really what made them stood out among others. Especially with Palutena no longer being able to hold the same niche.

They should absolutely throw the Mii Maker in there, because it's actually a great way to keep them while still allowing for players to fully enjoy the most out of them. It's also cheaper than trying to give 40+ characters new costumes. Especially when it's much more difficult to figure out not just colors, but deal with many characters who already had some trouble getting good ones(Pokemon, some 3rd parties), and then you have to remember that the Mii Costumes in many cases are already done. So it's actually more cost effective to put one mode in there, and reuse all the materials you have, with only having to license the 3rd party ones and new ones as they come up.

They're also just plain popular as a concept(and let's be honest, many are more than fine with using the generic design, since the not all Costumes are just hats. But even then, people just love the concept of playing as a silly character skin to imagine they are like that). And yes, the Mii Maker should return too. It's just the only thing they can cut at best but still keep the Mii Fighters. The other two are not possible to cut in any way without removing a huge key factor to their success as an idea. They are custom characters. They'll still be while losing a small part of their customization. It's also important to note that it's the only Customization part that isn't from Smash itself, while the other two pieces make up a huge part of them. All three are preferred, but 2/3 still does enough to keep them fun as a character. Besides that, some just want to outright use them without having to make a Mii first. So it's actually not the worst thing to have a generic set. It's fast and gets to the real meat in the game(the custom moves and the costumes themselves).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Besides that, some just want to outright use them without having to make a Mii first. So it's actually not the worst thing to have a generic set. It's fast and gets to the real meat in the game(the custom moves and the costumes themselves).
This does technically exist, but you have to unlock them in World of Light for some reason.

I might also be forgetting the Guest Miis. Are those still a thing in the UI of this game? It's been a long time since I've made a Mii Fighter.

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet
I mean I want more model swap character alts but I can't see it being a enticing DLC replacement for Mii Costumes. I mean, I really don't think people are gonna throw bags of cash at idk, Sunglasses Mario compared to like, Dante's Mii.

no slander to sunglasses mario, that's one of my most wanted alts

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
This does technically exist, but you have to unlock them in World of Light for some reason.

I might also be forgetting the Guest Miis. Are those still a thing in the UI of this game? It's been a long time since I've made a Mii Fighter.
Guest Miis are indeed still a thing. Any game with Mii functionality will have those.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm a bit skeptical that the Miis are among the most popular characters on the roster. I'd say they're the opposite. Swordfighter in particular is a strong candidate for the least-played character in the game.

Miis aren't going anywhere if backward compatibility is present in the Switch 2, which means they're almost certainly in the next Smash.

I am curious how much money the Mii costumes make and the profits on each individual costume. We know some costumes were obviously more popular than others (Ness' corpse was a popular one), but I do wonder if it's a small selection of costumes that makes most of the money in this scheme.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Mii costumes are this weird grey area where the Miis aren't even considered for the most part when people buy them, since I think part of the reason people spend the .99 cents on them is to "cast a vote" to see that character graduate beyond costume in the next game. Like, people don't buy doom guy's helmet just to go "oh it's like doomguy is in smash", they buy it to show their support for doomguy getting the nod next game.

I prefer them to costume dlc because a) it's cheaper and b) it means there isn't potentially cool stuff getting locked behind cosmetic paywalls (however cheap they may be). This is probably unpopular, but I'd rather have more referencing color alts instead of costumes that were paid (or even better, just having that dev time spent on things I'd might be enticed to consider buying, like mii costumes of characters that wouldn't be in this game otherwise).

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Mii costumes are this weird grey area where the Miis aren't even considered for the most part when people buy them, since I think part of the reason people spend the .99 cents on them is to "cast a vote" to see that character graduate beyond costume in the next game. Like, people don't buy doom guy's helmet just to go "oh it's like doomguy is in smash", they buy it to show their support for doomguy getting the nod next game.
I guess I'm not people then because I always buy every costume but you don't see me campaigning for Gil from Tower of Druaga or Minecraft Pig :4pacman:

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I think part of the reason people spend the .99 cents on them is to "cast a vote" to see that character graduate beyond costume in the next game
This makes me wonder about Sans....he's probably one of the most well recived costumes, i wonder if Nintendo will consider a Undertale rep playable next game because of the popularity of the Sans Mii (But again...it's nintendo....they don't always do what it makes sense).

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
New Nintendo Switch 2 Leak Backed By PYORO?!

Just read that the Switch 2 will be backwards compatible with Switch games, i wonder if that increases the chances of a Smash 6 over a Deluxe port.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Keeping the Mii Fighters around without the Mii Maker makes no sense
Hard disagree. The costume aspect of the Miis has become a much bigger deal than the CAC aspect.

They'll keep Miis around even if the only thing you can do with them is dress them up like other characters.

Mii costumes are this weird grey area where the Miis aren't even considered for the most part when people buy them, since I think part of the reason people spend the .99 cents on them is to "cast a vote" to see that character graduate beyond costume in the next game.
I buy Miis for 2 reasons:
1. It's a character I want to become a Fighter.
2. I want that music track!

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Just read that the Switch 2 will be backwards compatible with Switch games, i wonder if that increases the chances of a Smash 6 over a Deluxe port.
If it's backwards compatible, this also likely implies the eShop will have the same library except with exclusive games, like how the 3DS eShop also had DSiWare stuff.

And if we're lucky and they don't use yet another different kind of marketplace, it might even do like the other consoles and let you cross-download.

That means they'd have virtually no reason to make a Deluxe port unless it's specifically "here's a more expensive version of the game but everything's there".

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If it's backwards compatible, this also likely implies the eShop will have the same library except with exclusive games, like how the 3DS eShop also had DSiWare stuff.

And if we're lucky and they don't use yet another different kind of marketplace, it might even do like the other consoles and let you cross-download.

That means they'd have virtually no reason to make a Deluxe port unless it's specifically "here's a more expensive version of the game but everything's there".
Fully agreed.

IMO, backwards compatibility completely destroys the notion of a "Deluxe" edition.

Such a transparent excuse to nickel and dime the consumer would not be received well nowadays and harkens back to the era of fighting games releasing full-price re-releases just to update the game slightly, or for a more modern example, Atlus just releasing a better version of any game a few years down the line on the exact same console.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I mean I want more model swap character alts but I can't see it being a enticing DLC replacement for Mii Costumes. I mean, I really don't think people are gonna throw bags of cash at idk, Sunglasses Mario compared to like, Dante's Mii.

no slander to sunglasses mario, that's one of my most wanted alts
fortnight, overwatch, leauge of legends.

90% of their monetization comes from character skins and they make crazy money.

also as long as sakurai is around there will never be a port.

he made brawl specifically to stop a melee port.

its the smash 4 port speculation all over again.

Last edited:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Apprentice
Fully agreed.

IMO, backwards compatibility completely destroys the notion of a "Deluxe" edition.

Such a transparent excuse to nickel and dime the consumer would not be received well nowadays and harkens back to the era of fighting games releasing full-price re-releases just to update the game slightly, or for a more modern example, Atlus just releasing a better version of any game a few years down the line on the exact same console.
I don't disagree but I feel like the difference is Sakurai has much better PR lol. It's a bit weird.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Apparently these keychains are being released in Super Nintendo World, which can mean only one thing.View attachment 388590
PROFESSOR CHOPS IS GONNA BE IN SMASH!
Glad to see they're pushing Cranky more. Also, I think this is the first time we've seen Dixie, Rambi, and Chops in Nakaue's art style. It's neat to see, I've always loved how he draws the Mario characters and especially DK.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Fully agreed.

I still think there's a decent chance that we'll have a deluxe port with 2 or 3 new characters if they don't want to make risks or even that we don't get a smash game for the Switch 2 at all.
However, i have to say that if the leak is true then Smash 6 is no longer as unlikely as i thought, i think now it has a chance to happen, still not fully convinced as i said earlier through.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Making a Deluxe port is also more risky if it's backwards compatible. People paid a massive amount of money for all of it. Now they're paying a truckload for... barely much new content when they can still play it on the Switch 2.

It's not worth it. If it's not backwards compatible, it's far less risky in comparison. Since people actually would be getting something interesting and will get new content later as per the norm. Also, 3rd Party Mii Costumes will continue to be DLC only, so even with a port, you still need to keep paying to get it all.

Contrast the last time a port was suggested with Melee for the Wii... but it didn't have to have DLC(not that it couldn't). Sakurai easily made an all new game with lots of new content instead of a port. And it did really well as well as added tons of great stuff(not that it didn't have its own issues, but every game has downsides).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If it's backward compatible, they don't need to make a Deluxe port OR a Smash 6. They can just make more Ultimate DLC.
Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m thinking. There’s no real reason for a deluxe version if they could just keep building on the one we already have. Killer Instinct 2013 just got an update last year 10 years after its release so it’s not unheard of. In KI’s case, it was just a balance patch but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe also got content long after release.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I never thought I'd see members of a fandom fight so hard against getting a sequel. Wacky.

But no matter how much reality denying copium is huffed, a Smash 6 will come to the Switch 2 all the same. I'm sure of it.
Ditto. A Smash 6 is pretty much inevitable, is it not?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
if they don't want to make risks
An Ultimate Deluxe with only 2 or 3 new characters IS a huge risk. Newcomers are a huge part of marketing, and most people won't want to pay $70 for the same game with only a few extra characters.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ditto. A Smash 6 is pretty much inevitable, is it not?
I thought Sakurai said that Ultimate may have been his last Smash at some point. Maybe I’m remembering wrong but I don’t think it’s a 100% guarantee we’ll get another game. Still likely because the series sells really well but I don’t think it’s a sure thing.

Top Bottom