• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well the good news is there’s no bad news.

The bad news is there’s no good news.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
So I'm just speculating here but I think this is indicative of what we can expect from "Project Spartacus"; Sony's answer to Gamepass. For those unaware Sony owns a majority share of Funimation and has bought Crunchyroll recently.

I think the package will be like this:

1. Normal PS Plus monthly games and special discounts
2. An upgraded PS Now service for previous generation (retro) emulations whether it's 1st-party or 3rd-party
3. Crunchyroll subscription
4. Access and possibly in-game special perks and items for their live-service games
5. Day-1 access to their 1st-party VR games

I think it'll be an oddball package. A mix between the retro emulation Nintendo is doing, a little direct competition with Gamepass, fusing their previous assets and anime. I'm really reaching for the Day-1 access of VR games but I think it's realistically the only lane Sony can carve for itself to differentiate their service and I think they have more to gain from pushing PSVR2 units and attaching those sales to a sort of "diamond tier" subscription service rather than selling those games individually. I mean to say that it'd be a kind of positive feedback loop of PSVR2 units selling Spartacus and Spartacus selling PSVR2 units.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'd be okay with a 4th Link if it was Wolf Link and Midna. Quadrupeds and duo characters aren't common on the roster, so at least they'd be interesting from that perspective! And I doubt they'd add one without the other (though probably neither are getting in at this point, but still). With any other Link, I just wonder why not Impa, or Skull Kid?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm not interested in having an argument with you about anything. You're exactly the kind of Nintendofan that rationalizes anything they do. One day it's "Nintendo doesn't compete with Microsoft and Sony" and now that it's convenient today it's "they're fierce competitors so this makes sense" so it literally doesn't matter. The benefit would be for the community and to maybe establish decent business relations with Sony for Smash inclusions or potentially future-proofing against the possibility of if Sony eats up one of the companies already represented in Smash.

Also FYI the competitive Smash community is beyond a dramadump from years ago or any scandal for that matter. It's an esport like any other esport and a very compelling one at that with its real grassroots history and nature of its organization. People didn't give up on real sports whenever those players were caught in scandals.

I can tell you didn't like the community in the first place and were most likely informed by Nintendo's hostility to the community.
Fortunately, Nintendo has no need to be at EVO in any form to work out partnerships with Sony for Smash or literally anything else. Also, would it not benefit the community for Nintendo to fund the Smash pro scene themselves while making as minor of changes to anything as possible and just embracing the competitive scene of their games much like The Pokemon Company? It would also benefit Nintendo to have people pay to come to THEIR events or to watch THEIR events? EVO is big, sure, but EVO benefitted more due to the numbers Smash brought in than Nintendo benefitted from anything from it.

People need to wrap their heads around that Smash does well enough in just the casual market and can lose out on the pro scene and be almost completely unaffected. There is already a rift between the two audience groups anyway. I just think Nintendo has decided to keep investing inward like their pattern has been for the past few years and are building their own thing now.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Just wait and watch Arkanoid be our Taito rep in the next smash game :troll:
That'd be awesome actually or at least an assist like the Pong assist but vertical. I loved that game... especially one of the Mac remakes I don't recall the name of but it had insane power ups.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Hey, I'd be down for some Arkanoid appearances in Smash. I still have the one for my SNES and I still enjoy it.
Actually the only character does seems to work for smash moveset from Arkanoid series would be Doh he was the final boss since the first game kept appearing in the series multiple times and he has a half body to work with for moveset

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Actually the only character does seems to work for smash moveset from Arkanoid series would be Doh he was the final boss since the first game kept appearing in the series multiple times and he has a half body to work with for moveset
He should be an Assist Trophy. Just for the meme that whenever he is summoned, the players will react with:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
People need to wrap their heads around that Smash does well enough in just the casual market and can lose out on the pro scene and be almost completely unaffected.
I think the number of people who believe otherwise would be entirely located within the deepest parts of that competitive scene. People know Smash doesn't need the FGC to be successful.

Laniv

Smash Champion
I decided to make a Smash roster with 122 characters (counting transformations)

View attachment 346494
There's realistically no way this could ever happen, but I thought it was fun to make anyways :pikachu:
Keeping Pokemon Trainer, adding Toad, Tom Nook, and Tails, AND adding Paula as the Ness echo (I think) as opposed to Ninten? Excellent taste.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Why are you copy and pasting? You do know there's a quote button, right?
Yes, but when someone makes a long post, and I'm only replying to one part, I cut out the parts I'm not replying to.

And then sometimes, there's stuff left over in the reply box from a previous reply, and when I do the cut, I accidentally leave the wrong quote name in.

Look. It's a good roster. But of all the choices for Zelda. Echo or not. You choose another Link.
And also seemingly chose "another FE character", despite not caring enough to actually pick a character.

I made myself early this same year, this roster based on the idea of a "Super Smash Bros. But What If It Was Only Non-Video Game Characters?".
Hmm...I was expecting this to actually be 4th party characters that were also big in video games.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
And also seemingly chose "another FE character", despite not caring enough to actually pick a character.
I don't want to speak for them, but I think it is likely a placeholder for the most recent FE protagonist at the time of the next Smash release.

Although even if I'm right about that, I personally wouldn't hold spots for characters that might not even exist yet on my fantasy roster...

Kinda funny how many people are just totally resigned to them continuing the FE and PKMN representation in the manner that they have been, even though what has happened with these franchises is perhaps the best example of why just repeatedly adding another layer of recency picks over the existing roster is unsustainable.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't want to speak for them, but I think it is likely a placeholder for the most recent FE protagonist at the time of the next Smash release.

Although even if I'm right about that, I personally wouldn't hold spots for characters that might not even exist yet on my fantasy roster...

Kinda funny how many people are just totally resigned to them continuing the FE and PKMN representation in the manner that they have been, even though what has happened with these franchises is perhaps the best example of why just repeatedly adding another layer of recency picks over the existing roster is unsustainable.
Well what are we supposed to do about it? March over to Sora LTD or Nintendo and protest?

Corrin's announcement got a fairly notable backlash back in Smash 4 and yet that didn't stop Nintendo from pushing for Byleth/FETH for Ultimate's DLC. There's really nothing we can do to prevent that fact that a new Pokemon, a new Fire Emblem and also a new wacky Sakurai surprise pick are inevitable every game, whether that be in the base game or as DLC.

Last edited:

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 346494
There's realistically no way this could ever happen, but I thought it was fun to make anyways :pikachu:
Only issues I have is another Link and Villager along with Jill being the RE rep (naturally :laugh:).

Pretty good selections overall though 👍

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Well what are we supposed to do about it? March over to Sora LTD or Nintendo and protest?

Corrin's announcement got a fairly notable backlash back in Smash 4 and yet that didn't stop Nintendo from pushing for Byleth/FETH for Ultimate's DLC. There's really nothing we can do to prevent that fact that a new Pokemon, a new Fire Emblem and also a new wacky Sakurai surprise pick are inevitable every game, whether that be in the base game or as DLC.
Well, no, it's not about getting people up in arms and causing backlash over it. You're right that backlash rarely ever amounts to any significant effect on the roster, and I've argued that myself in the past anyway.

But while newgen Mon and recent FE protagonist remain extremely likely, I still don't put them in the inevitable category. We saw them skip over PKMN this whole DLC cycle, even though it probably has more fanfare clout among casuals than several characters that they did add. It's not completely automatic.
Also, even they are probably a little conscious of roster bloat and there is a point where it bumps up against wanting to return all vets, and so they're eventually gonna have to give a little more one way or another between continuing their newcomer pattern and minimizing cut vets.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
But while newgen Mon and recent FE protagonist remain extremely likely, I still don't put them in the inevitable category. We saw them skip over PKMN this whole DLC cycle, even though it probably has more fanfare clout among casuals than several characters that they did add. It's not completely automatic.
Well, I did say that "whether that be in the base game or as DLC." We didn't get a Gen 8 Pokemon for DLC, yes, but we still had the "new Pokemon" quota filled by Incineroar in the base game. It's the opposite with FE: we didn't get one in the base game (I don't really count Chrom because he's just an echo thrown in for fanservice), but we ended up getting the quota fufilled by Byleth in FP1. Thankfully this time around, they just decided not to double down on it, like how in Smash 4, FE got Robin in the base game and also got Corrin as DLC.

At this point in time, I will be truely shocked if future Smash titles go by without any (unique) Pokemon or Fire Emblem newcomers, in the base game or DLC.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, even they are probably a little conscious of roster bloat
Eh...they still added 3 more FE reps even with Sakurai thinking 5 was probably enough.

However, I do agree that DREAM rosters shouldn't be limited by what's considered realistic/a safe bet. Hell, one of these dream rosters included Mai-if she can't have a cameo, what chance does she have of ever becoming playable?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Well, I did say that "whether that be in the base game or as DLC." We didn't get a Gen 8 Pokemon for DLC, yes, but we still had the "new Pokemon" quota filled by Incineroar in the base game. It's the opposite with FE: we didn't get one in the base game (I don't really count Chrom because he's just an echo thrown in for fanservice), but we ended up getting the quota fufilled by Byleth in FP1. Thankfully this time around, they just decided not to double down on it, like how in Smash 4, FE got Robin in the base game and also got Corrin as DLC.

At this point in time, I will be truely shocked if future Smash titles go by without any (unique) Pokemon or Fire Emblem newcomers, in the base game or DLC.
Fair point, although they did skip a PKMN in two straight passes which is still quite a while to go without one. Incineroar itself was also revealed at the very end of the base game cycle and based on patterns of reveal order that means he was likely not the top priority of the newcomers that got in; in a future sequel with even more potential vets to consider bringing back, such a character could easily get squeezed out. And things unfinished for base are not always just pushed to DLC. We don't even know if we'll get as much DLC in the future as we did this time, so just saying it is guaranteed for DLC if it doesn't happen in base is also a bit premature.

Don't get me wrong; I still expect reps from both franchises in the future but I can see some reasonable scenarios in which one or both might not happen.

.they still added 3 more FE reps even with Sakurai thinking 5 was probably enough.
Well, yeah, not nearly as conscious of bloat as they probably should be.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

View attachment 346494
For the most part, this is a solid roster. Just gonna leave a few constructive criticisms with it.
  • I'd honestly go with Iori or Kyo over Mai. You can rep KOF while also avoiding the... issues that Mai has with her design. IIRC Sakurai did say that he was a fan of Iori at some point.
  • I'm personally a little confused at the choice for a second villager. Especially when you have Tom Nook as an echo for them. I would just cut out the middleman and have Tom Nook just be the character at that point.
  • While I am happy with another LoZ character, having it be a fourth Link honestly feels kind of off to me. I am guessing he is an echo of Young Link due to the green background but I would honestly lean towards just doing something else instead of a fourth Link. Impa or ALttP Ganon would be my choices for a Zelda newcomer if you have to go with a recurring character.
  • Kind of surprised you went with a generic Toad instead of Captain Toad. I would lean the latter just because I think the design would be more distinct but both are fine. Personally, I am looking at Pauline potentially being the next Mario rep in theory but who knows if she will be as recurring in the spinoffs as Rosa has.
I don't want to criticize too much because I can tell at least a few of these picks are personal picks. I know in the past you talked for instance that Zero was a pick you really wanted. I just wanted to focus on a few picks that I thought were a bit weird or whatever. Awesome roster though. If I did not have to run Java I would totally make my own as well.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
So new mainline Pokemon, Xenoblade 3, a new (Musou spin-off of) Fire Emblem, 3D Kirby, Advance Wars remake, Mario Strikers returning, and (I assume?) BotW 2 all this year. With all that, the one thing that would genuinely complete things for me would be the announcement of a new DK game at E3.

I've accepted the long hibernation of Star Fox, F-Zero, & Pikmin, but another Donkey Kong Country to fill out the platformer quotient in the second half of 2022 really would cement this as possibly the best year of the Switch for me.
I feel like we won't get a new DK game until after Retro Studios has finished development on MP4.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I feel like we won't get a new DK game until after Retro Studios has finished development on MP4.
The big speculation is that Nintendo EPD is developing the next game, which honestly as much as I love Retro's games, I think I might prefer. DKC specifically has suffered from not really having a home in terms of developers and given that Retro has been busy with both Metroid and other projects (including supposedly a title they were working on post Tropical Freeze that was canceled), a core Nintendo team might finally be the thing to give both a stronger company investment and more consistent releases from the series.

As someone who really isn't an FE fan, I feel the same way about their inclusion as I do the release of Assassin's Creed games; they're inevitable, and I'm not really asking for more, but I can still find something fun in them more often than not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom