• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
You think this is the entry we see FNAF content get in? (not even a fan of the series, but it's too big of a gaming juggernaut at this point to ignore. It's even been around for almost a decade)

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
You think this is the entry we see FNAF content get in? (not even a fan of the series, but it's too big of a gaming juggernaut at this point to ignore. It's even been around for almost a decade)
As much as I think it'd be neat, from what I understand only Security Breach (not Ruin yet) and a dub of the movie reached Japanese shores.
I'm thinking that could potentially present a problem since Smash tends to ignore games that are not released in Japan.

Unless y'all are ok with Glamrock Freddy :p

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Zelda may be in a bit of a unique situation where they add a character less because there's some glaring obvious choice and more for the sake of simply adding a character just because it's been so long, and so much has happened in such a big series since the last addition.

But because Smash tends to not look backward unless prompted by demand, which none of the more popular but less current Zelda characters really have to a sufficient extent, it may be a case of getting unexpected and unorthodox with whoever could feasibly work from TotK. Or they overhaul Ganondorf. But I think the actual new character is overdue.

There are shades of a ZSS parallel, where she was added specifically because Sakurai wanted to add another Metroid character, and she both wasn't expected, lacked a huge in-series presence at that point, but was recent and came with a moveset that took liberties with what she'd actually done in-game.
TBH that's always been my hang up with the prospects of adding a Zelda newcomer, I've just never really been a fan of the idea of adding a character for the sake of fulfilling a quota. To me, the appeal of getting Ridley and K. Rool in Smash wasn't just for the sake of more Metroid and DK series reps, but, well, getting Ridley and K. Rool in, as they were both gaping holes in their respective lineups. I just don't feel that way with Zelda, and tbh it's also why I've never been super excited with the prospects of adding more FE or Pokemon reps, inevitable as they are.

(and yeah that's why I'm not a big fan of ZSS either, she really was just thrown in because Sakurai wanted to add what could technically be considered a new Metroid rep but didn't have the balls to put in Ridley at the time, so "Samus in her underwear" was the best he could come up with, and yeah I think that's kinda lame)

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, reading about how Smash Bros. seems to tend to ignore western gaming properties, I was wondering: Does Sakurai know what he is doing? I mean, he intends Smash Bros. to be a celebration of gaming itself. Would it be a celebration of gaming overall if it were just Japanese and maybe Eastern games overall Sakurai just focused on for Smash and not any Western games? Adding characters from Western games into Smash as spirits, Mii costumes and trophies (as how Rayman was in Smash 4 with the trophy thing) is not going to be enough.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as Kirby and DK, both franchises could use some more varied and interesting stages/songs and the likes of BWD and Dixie would be worth adding just for that. That both of the that have great potential for movesets and could add something generally novel to Smash (spear oriented offense by the former, Animal Buddies by the latter) is just all the more reason for them to be included.

Also this has basically no real implication for Smash, but it does make me stupidly happy to see old platformer mascots (in this case an actually great one) get highlighted on modern day systems:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
don't think we'll get Kogha, but I also feel like Zelda is a series they seem to let Sakurai make the calls on. So who they'd push may not be as big a factor.
Perhaps, but I don't think Kogha would be who Sakurai would pick either for basically the same reasons.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, reading about how Smash Bros. seems to tend to ignore western gaming properties, I was wondering: Does Sakurai know what he is doing? I mean, he intends Smash Bros. to be a celebration of gaming itself. Would it be a celebration of gaming overall if it were just Japanese and maybe Eastern games overall Sakurai just focused on for Smash and not any Western games? Adding characters from Western games into Smash as spirits, Mii costumes and trophies (as how Rayman was in Smash 4 with the trophy thing) is not going to be enough.
ah but he never said a celebration of all of gaming

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
As far as Kirby and DK, both franchises could use some more varied and interesting stages/songs and the likes of BWD and Dixie would be worth adding just for that. That both of the that have great potential for movesets and could add something generally novel to Smash (spear oriented offense by the former, Animal Buddies by the latter) is just all the more reason for them to be included.

Also this has basically no real implication for Smash, but it does make me stupidly happy to see old platformer mascots (in this case an actually great one) get highlighted on modern day systems:

Finally, the Mascot Swordie.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
He knows what he's doing. There's just a language barrier (though that's somewhat less of an issue now) and the fact that a game made by a Japanese dev will have an inherent bias towards the industry in Japan where western games have a tougher time breaking through, let alone getting big there.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Do you think Smash being co-developed by a Western team would make it easier to represent Western franchises, even if they still had to stick to Sakurai’s “video games only” rule?
Fortnite and Dead by Daylight have non-gaming content, but they still have video game franchises.
Maybe just Mii Costumes + Music and that's it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
He knows what he's doing. There's just a language barrier (though that's somewhat less of an issue now) and the fact that a game made by a Japanese dev will have an inherent bias towards the industry in Japan where western games have a tougher time breaking through, let alone getting big there.
Makes sense. I don't think the bias is something good for that celebration he claims Smash to be, but there is a language barrier, of course. I do believe that can be overcome.

Still...the West and the East are different, and based on what you said, it would be difficult to include characters from games from the West into Smash as playable and have them appeal to the East and Japan at the same time.

Finally, the Mascot Swordie.
We really could use Sparkster in Smash.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Maybe as an Assist Trophy or a Mii Swordfighter. I don't see him as a fighter.
I kinda do.

That said, me seeing him as a fighter is not full in capacity. If I recall correctly, he does not have too much for a moveset potential, does he? Plus, if that is not enough, is there any other reason he can't work as a fighter?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
True, but without saying anything about what kind of celebration of gaming Smash is, being vague would not help that at all now, would it?
Not really, but there's no obligation for Smash Bros to be anything other than Smash Bros. It is celebrating gaming, as in there are a lot of characters from video games in it. There's no insincerity there. No need to be facetious about this, you can just say which western characters you would like to see.

I think those critical of Smash's representation of western games need to put things in perspective. Ultimate was the first time we fully delved into this, an undertaking which involves a language barrier, that much more communication and travel, that much more time and money sunk into the investment. It seems as if Microsoft was pretty easy and cooperative to work with, a relationship which I'm certain will persist and set a good precedent moving forward. It makes sense for these characters to be DLC as well, given these extra factors. I imagine western characters were part of the previously "not feasible" part of the high ranking Smash ballot choices, particularly Banjo & Kazooie and maybe Rayman. Smash 4 DLC outside of Cloud was otherwise fairly insular.

So in my mind, Ultimate DLC was the first time western characters were even a practical option at all. And we got two of them, which isn't half bad! I think cross appeal is definitely something to keep in mind, something that has just as well snubbed out Japanese characters who are important but not popular or recognizable in the west. Even still, characters like Little Mac, Duck Hunt, Simon, Ridley and K. Rool happen to be more popular over here, so they are catering to the western demographic by giving us characters true to our own Nintendo experience. We are eating well, within the general scope of things.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I kinda do.

That said, me seeing him as a fighter is not full in capacity. If I recall correctly, he does not have too much for a moveset potential, does he? Plus, if that is not enough, is there any other reason he can't work as a fighter?
He has a sword that can send out projectiles, uses a rocket jetpack for burst speed and charging, but doesn't have full control over compared to his former fellow knights and he has piloted a whole bunch of giant mechas as well. He's got enough potential to work as a fighter.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Um, may I ask why, if you care to explain?
It's basically a lighthearted reference to the infamous online fights between Smash fans that often want/wanted platformer mascots (that tend to look fairly cartoonish) and those that often want/wanted JRPG protagonists (which often tend to be sword users closer to anime in design).

It's amusing to imagine that Sparkster as a Smash character's status as a cartoony mascot character who's also wielding a sword would basically either please both parties or exaggeratedly confound both.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not really, but there's no obligation for Smash Bros to be anything other than Smash Bros. It is celebrating gaming, as in there are a lot of characters from video games in it. There's no insincerity there. No need to be facetious about this, you can just say which western characters you would like to see.

I think those critical of Smash's representation of western games need to put things in perspective. Ultimate was the first time we fully delved into this, an undertaking which involves a language barrier, that much more communication and travel, that much more time and money sunk into the investment. It seems as if Microsoft was pretty easy and cooperative to work with, a relationship which I'm certain will persist and set a good precedent moving forward. It makes sense for these characters to be DLC as well, given these extra factors. I imagine western characters were part of the previously "not feasible" part of the high ranking Smash ballot choices, particularly Banjo & Kazooie and maybe Rayman.

So in my mind, Ultimate DLC was the first time western characters were even a practical option at all. And we got two of them, which isn't half bad! I think cross appeal is definitely something to keep in mind, something that has just as well snubbed out Japanese characters who are important but not popular or recognizable in the west. Characters like Little Mac, Duck Hunt, Simon, Ridley and K. Rool happen to be more popular over here as well, so they are catering to the western demographic by giving us characters true to our own Nintendo experience. We are eating well, within the general scope of things.
Well, I never said it had to be anything else, did i not? It is a celebration of gaming, and I am not so bothered by the lack of Western games, actually. (Though Rayman, Crash and Spyro would be cool) I think I understand why, but you did not think I was so facetious when I was not, did you?

That said, I am not being critical of anything. I just wanted to make an observation.

But I do agree, getting any character for Smash Bros. from the West is not going to be that easy.

It's basically a lighthearted reference to the infamous online fights between Smash fans that often want/wanted platformer mascots (that tend to look fairly cartoonish) and those that often want/wanted JRPG protagonists (which often tend to be sword users closer to anime in design).

It's amusing to imagine that Sparker as a Smash character would cartoony mascot character who's also wielding a sword would basically either please both parties or exagerattedly confound both.
He has a sword that can send out projectiles, uses a rocket jetpack for burst speed and charging, but doesn't have full control over compared to his former fellow knights and he has piloted a whole bunch of giant mechas as well. He's got enough potential to work as a fighter.
I see.

Then again, he is not my most wanted, and there are characters from Konami who could make it in before him. Long before him, in fact.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think I understand why, but you did not think I was so facetious when I was not, did you?
It sounded like you were pulling the "it can't be a true celebration without [insert character]" routine that I've seen quite a few times. Apologies if I interpreted that the wrong way, a lot of people throw that around in bad faith to criticize the understandable lack of western characters thus far.

I think there are other things we need to talk about if we wanna discuss how efficient Smash is at celebrating gaming as a whole, though. Not just east vs west variety, but the lack of notable and foundational genres on the roster as well. I wish more people would go to bat for puzzle games, horror games, VNs but you don't see that nearly as often so it's hard for me to take the conversation seriously. Most people just want Crash Bandicoot or something.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
In general we need a renaissance of secondary characters on the roster. For Xenoblade’s case, add a Nopon or something. Sorely lacking in the little guy spectrum
Riki is already an AT, and I think that’s fine. Tora, and Riku and Manana would probably just get spirits.

I'll say again that I'm dreading the idea of Xenoblade becoming yet another "rotating cast" franchise that always gets a rep every game.

It's just going to rapidly descend into flavor of the month picks like Fire Emblem and Pokemon.
I do think that Xenoblade will get at least one new fighter next game. From here on out, it’s not weird to expect Shulk and Pyra/Mythra to be the ones consistently returning each game, with other faces coming and going.

And while I can't say I'd be all that surprised if it got in, I think some people are overestimating XBC3's chances of a rep, even some to the point of taking it as a foregone conclusion, which I don’t think is the case. Simply because a LOT of existing series are on the docket for new reps which I could easily see as higher priorities than the growing but still more niche XBC: Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, and Pikmin at the least, and some of those could even get two new reps in various situations. While having Aegis certainly doesn't preclude another Switch-era Xenoblade rep, the fact that we already have a pretty recent addition from the series, and from a game that performed better than XBC3 did, may further push XBC3 down the pipeline.
Xenoblade as a series is in a similar position to franchises such as Pokémon, Fire Emblem, and even Mother. New characters every game, with new abilities and designs. Rotating casts do have to be treated differently than recurring casts when creating a character roster.

I think people also assume the roster has already been decided at the current time of creating a mock roster. It may already have, or we may be a year or two away from the next game’s roster being determined.

I’d say a XBC3 character is one of the more likely choices but it definitely isn’t a sure thing. Like you said, there are a ton of other great games to pull from as well. If we just got Noah as a standalone, I feel he’s a bit too similar to Shulk in terms of gameplay. Bringing in both he and Mio would work but we just did that with Pyra and Mythra. Mio is a cool character and my choice if we got a standalone but might feel weird without Noah.

My preferred option for an XB3 rep is getting both but in a different way from Pyra/Mythra. Their stage intro would feature both separately and immediately fuse into their Ouroboros form once the battle begins. The fusion form itself would be the playable character, which has its own options for final smash attacks. This would definitely be a unique way to represent the game without redoing the previous gimmick. Alternatively, I’d be happy with Nia as a character since she was by far my favorite character from Xenoblade 2 and played a prominent role in 3.

As much as I love the Xenoblade games, I don’t feel like another character is absolutely necessary so none of them quite make my top 10 most wanted list. It’s probably a different story if you limit that to first party and add the stipulation of one rep per series (otherwise it would probably be all Pokemon lol).
I do think Noah can be unique from Shulk, due to being able to unsheath his Blade. It would make for a neat, but simple gimmick. Mio would be neat, but I think XC2’s Nia being an assist trophy would be a neat compromise (if Spirits return).

In terms of other possibilities, if Noah gets in solo, I would not rule out N getting in as an echo. It would be a villain, so that’s neat.

Or perhaps they revive Rex as an idea based on his XC3 design. He has enough differences from Pyra/Mythra to justify his own character (and dual wielding is cool).

Or perhaps, Sakurai relaxes on spoilers and just gives us Pneuma. Who knows.

And I’m going to call it now… a Noah and Mio Ouroboros tag team isn’t going to work on a technical level. We have seen Rex be cut in Ultimate due to this, and I wouldn’t rule it out happening again. It’s likely one or the other, but not both.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It sounded like you were pulling the "it can't be a true celebration without [insert character]" routine that I've seen quite a few times. Apologies if I interpreted that the wrong way, a lot of people throw that around in bad faith to criticize the understandable lack of western characters thus far.
Oh don't worry. I mean, I could have clarified it more, myself, but since this forum uses text, it is probably hard to read with just text anyway. Then again, like I said, I could have worded it better.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Then again, he is not my most wanted, and there are characters from Konami who could make it in before him. Long before him, in fact.
I'm pretty sure they would put in 5 Metal Gear characters, 6 Castlevania characters and bring in Bomberman, Gradius, Silent Hill, Contra, Frogger, Goemon and maybe Bloody Roar and Parodius before Sparkster gets in. And even then, some of those won't be in for a long time either....😔

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm pretty sure they would put in 5 Metal Gear characters, 6 Castlevania characters and bring in Bomberman, Gradius, Silent Hill, Contra, Frogger, Goemon and maybe Bloody Roar and Parodius before Sparkster gets in. And even then, some of those won't be in for a long time either....😔
Well, Goemon would still make up for it to me, at least. Bomberman too.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
TBH that's always been my hang up with the prospects of adding a Zelda newcomer, I've just never really been a fan of the idea of adding a character for the sake of fulfilling a quota. To me, the appeal of getting Ridley and K. Rool in Smash wasn't just for the sake of more Metroid and DK series reps, but, well, getting Ridley and K. Rool in, as they were both gaping holes in their respective lineups. I just don't feel that way with Zelda, and tbh it's also why I've never been super excited with the prospects of adding more FE or Pokemon reps.

(and yeah that's why I'm not a big fan of ZSS either, she really was just thrown in because Sakurai wanted to add what could technically be considered a new Metroid rep but didn't have the balls to put in Ridley at the time, so "Samus in her underwear" was the best he could come up with, and yeah I think that's kinda lame)
That's fair, I get that. And in situations like FE and Pokemon, potentially Xenoblade, I don't like it either. It's not that those series lack options, it's that we always have to go with one who runs a high chance of being less preferable to other options (from the fan perspective), because they're the recent one.

Like, we're probably resigned to getting a Gen 9 or 10 Pokemon, and yet there are options like Gengar, Gardevoir, Scizor, Blaziken, Garchomp, etc. who have proven to be enduring favorites. On the basis of 3H's success it's not like Byleth was an inferior FE choice (though I concur with having preferred a house leader - any of them), but it also presents outcomes where we'd get Corrin over Lyn. You know how hard it is to be a FE character the Smash fanbase still actually wants to see get in? Give her an award, lol.

Where I'll differ from you is if there's a really noteworthy series that is starting to feel chronically underrepresented or overlooked - like Zelda not having received an original newcomer since Melee - at that point, even if we can't get a well-liked option like Skull Kid or AoC Impa - I just want a Zelda character. It'd be one thing if I didn't think the series offered any interesting options, even if they're not """deserving""".

The tricky thing about Zelda is it's sort of a mix of a static cast and a rotating cast. The static cast part is just quite small and got in a while ago, but it never then switched up to a rotating cast kind of series. I think that could've been interesting: Midna in Brawl, Ghirahim or Impa in 4, a champion in Ultimate. I guess it would be filling a quota... but those characters seem to have their popularity endure a bit more reliably than a crapshoot on a promo Pokemon/FE protag.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Quotas are very rare too. We did get Zero Suit Samus added in as a Metroid and Female representative.

Also, we do have the "we set aside a slot for a Pokemon" for two instances. So while they happen, they're pretty specific situations. And it's only the Pokemon one that repeated. Thus, we're unlikely to get another kind anyway. It is possible Fire Emblem could be similar to Pokemon, but the situation is still quite different(especially when there's no hints they're in the same position for a quota choice).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
At this point I think the only way we'll get a Zelda character is if we have a fan demand campaign. Sakurai seems resistant to adding new Zelda characters for whatever reason and fan demand may give him the kick he needs to realize the underlying desire.

The issue is, support is splintered. We need a major rallying under one or two banners. Skull Kid, Midna and Impa are the ones with the most promise I feel. We need to rally and make our voice known soon. After the game's announcement is too late.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Smash expands gradually. The first third-party was revealed in 2006, and it took until 2015 before they were at all somewhat frequent. We got two western third-parties on the roster this time. Next time there will probably be more.

Smash is a celebration of gaming because of how many aspects and worlds it reflects, not because it shines equally on all of them. That has clearly never been its intention. It's a Nintendo crossover with other parts of gaming too, in a smaller quantity. If you take Sakurai's statement to mean parity, you've misinterpreted him. Even with more western characters, the genres, era of origin, companies, etc. would still not be perfectly balanced.

True, but without saying anything about what kind of celebration of gaming Smash is, being vague would not help that at all now, would it?
But if it's vague and you're finding your interpretation doesn't match up with the reality of the roster/game, but there is a different interpretation that does, clearly yours is not the correct inference of his words.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Smash expands gradually. The first third-party was revealed in 2006, and it took until 2015 before they were at all somewhat frequent. We got two western third-parties on the roster this time. Next time there will probably be more.

Smash is a celebration of gaming because of how many aspects and worlds it reflects, not because it shines equally on all of them. That has clearly never been its intention. It's a Nintendo crossover with other parts of gaming too, in a smaller quantity. If you take Sakurai's statement to mean parity, you've misinterpreted him. Even with more western characters, the genres, era of origin, companies, etc. would still not be perfectly balanced.

But if it's vague and you're finding your interpretation doesn't match up with the reality of the roster/game, but there is a different interpretation that does, clearly yours is not the correct inference of his words.
When did I ever say my interpretation of the whole thing was correct? You're late, dream1ng! You probably should have looked at the posts between myself and Louie G. above.

For the record, I never said anything I said about this was correct. I did not even have a problem with this in the first place. I was just making an observation. Nothing more. I was not bothered by the lack of Western properties in Smash in any way, shape or form whatsoever.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Of the spirits, the only one I could see being a new character is Noah and Mio. (And maybe Oatchi)

Rauru.... I dunno. Just doesn't feel like a Smash Bros Fighter. It feels like you'd be adding him for the abilities he gives Link rather than the character himself. If you were forced to add a Totk rep, he'd be the guy. But that to me would be like adding Prince Florian because you were forced to add a Mario Wonder character. There are just better choices for Zelda as a whole imo (though I'm probably bias)

Deep cut are just too far down the pecking order, they'd have to contend with the Squid Sisters, DJ Octavio, Octolings and Off The Hook.

Oatchi is a maybe. I haven't played Pikmin 4 but I could see them as a potential Piranha Plant esque pick to a certain extent (except making a bit more sense). He's more distinct to the captain's which is a plus. I think I need to play Pikmin 4 before forming a solid opinion. Better than a bulborb.

Noah and Mio are definitely fighter material, only question is implementation and if we care about more Xenoblade reps (I don't). Implementing them properly may be difficult between Ouroburos, Lucky 7 and the general fact there's two of them. But singling them out would feel odd as well (though they got away with it in Pyra without Rex)
I will say on the topic of Deep Cut that they’re also the only Idols in Splatoon we’ve actually seen the true abilities of iirc, so you could probably make a more compelling moveset for them than you could the Squid Sisters or Off the Hook.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
My potentially spicy take is that I think Splatoon could get two characters, somewhat reliant on which direction they take for the inevitable Octoling though. Seems pretty easy to imagine them adding Octoling as an echo fighter (or a semiclone if we're feeling cheeky) with a full blown newcomer in DJ Octavio, something like that. But as far as series that have really skyrocketed and feel behind on representation relative to their presence with Nintendo as a whole... Splatoon feels like they need something equivalent to that jump Zelda and Kirby got in Melee and Brawl respectively.

Could also see it happening with Zelda like I alluded to before, if they want to add one fresh new face and another fan favorite from a bygone era. There are enough good choices and Zelda just had the biggest popularity boom its gotten in like two decades.

Never heard this suggested before and I'm into it. Not sure if they'd go for it but this kinda shot up to being my preferred BOTW-era pick lol.
Splatoon has the success to merit two newcomers, but I’m not sure if there really is a combination of characters that are best represented as fighters (outside of cloned Octoling + full-fledged newcomer). There are a lot of fun choices to be had though, between Squid Sisters, Off the Hook, DJ Octavio, Deep Cut and Cap’n Cuttlefish, but I don’t think they’ll go for the idol characters as playable.

While Kogha could be cool personality- and gameplay-wise, my issue there is that it's far too easy to dump like 100 hours into either TotK or BotW and just like...never encounter him. Or maybe just once as a minor boss. Don't feel like he's the character Nintendo would push.
To be fair, Kohga is one of my more likely wants from the BotW/TotK, my real hot takes are Kilton, Beedle, Impa, a Lynel or a Guardian. All of which play either an even smaller role in the games, are only known for one of the two games or in the case of Impa, who at least is decently adjacent to important side-quests in both games, just doesn’t do a whole lot that points towards a moveset. Kohga is at least a choice that is decently encounterable in both games and has the abilities to make an impact.

Top Bottom