• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Unlike the other two, Rauru can bring in the main mechanics from the game he's in
I feel like Midna could too to some extent, since Hyrule Warriors has her summon these shadow wolves to kind of replicate how Wolf Link operated. "Main mechanic" may be pushing it a bit but the big eye-catching gimmick of that game is reflected here at least.

1704994491204.png

Midna and Skull Kid are definitely in a somewhat odd position, but I think the circumstances of Zelda's current representation could lend itself better to digging back into its catalogue to pull out the characters we missed. These two have persisted pretty well as marketable and popular characters in their own right, with Majora's Mask in particular being one of the most iconic pieces of iconography in the series. Certainly wouldn't be that out of place to introduce one of them now equivalent to someone like K. Rool - albeit less insular Smash demand, but wider popularity in the general Nintendo sphere.

Maybe something from BOTW / TOTK would take precedent right now with how relevant and monumental those games are, but as we addressed few of those characters are quite as dynamic in a way that constitutes a Smash fighter. I really do think it's time to expand on Zelda but I suppose the actual means of doing so remains blurry. I'm convinced Rauru would be a swell pick but I'm not convinced he's THE pick yet.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
So what about Dixie Kong? She got in a Lego set, she cameo'd in the Mario movie, she's going to be in theme park, she's easy to make a moveset for and she's a pretty storied and popular character on top of that.
The problem Is still the same the DK franchise has as a whole. It just... doesn't get games.

Tropical Freeze is relevant to the Switch and has basically no content in Ultimate, adding Dixie and something from that game doesn't seem too farfetched, but it would still feel more like a "retro" addition rather than a current one? I mean DK is still relevant, the thing is that it just... doesn't get games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Who would you all pick for the next Pokemon rep, whether you think it’s the most likely or just one you want to see the most?

For me, I think the most likely is probably Zoroark and it’s Hisuian form as an alt. Hisuian Zoroark just got a series of animated shorts. It was the Pokemon chosen as a bonus for buying S/V DLC and came with the move Happy Hour which incentivized you to use it all the time as the best way to earn money in the game. The next logical remakes are Gen 5, which will probably make Zoroark even more relevant around that time. Hisuian Zoroark is also probably in my personal top 5 favorite Pokemon so it would be awesome to see. Meowscarada and a Gen 10 rep also seem like fairly safe choices. We did just get a Dark type bipedal cat starter in Ultimate so that might be a reason not to default to Meowscarada.

For my personal most wanted, my top 3 favorite Pokemon are Gengar, Cofagrigus, and Golisopod. Out of those, Gengar is the only one I feel has an actual chance. It’s constantly among the most popular Pokemon and hasn’t missed a game yet likely for that reason. The problem is that we already have a lot of Gen 1 reps so they might want to go with something else.
pokemon is always a hard one for me, probably cause i'm used to the idea that it wont be the ones i like most. in terms of sheer bias it would be my favourites Typhlosion, Samurott and Xatu. and their respective unevolved forms. and it is very hard to pick a most likely as last couple times it seems to have come down to whoever sak thought was cool. there's 1015 pokemon who haven't been playable in smash and they all have their own potential. I'd like to give a shout out to Mimikyu. instant popularity that has maintained since then. it feels like a no brainer of an inclusion and his unique bodyshape would give him a very different moveset.

on the subject of the new spirits as new fighters, well: Raru - i'd welcome nearly any zelda character. plus he'd have a cool moveset. Otachi - I'd take him. i would like another pikmin character and he would certainly be neat choice. Noah and Mio - as much as i like them, i dunno. i think anyway you do it, it will look weird. on the one hand with Shulk and Noah it will look odd with Pythra in the middle. on the other, with Pythra and Mio it will look odd with Shulk in the middle. and if you have both of them it will look weird if shulk's the only one not a duo. though i imagine i'd be the only one bother by it. Deep Cut - no thanks. honestly i find these three so boring. they felt like a rehash of what we had before with the squid sisters and off the hook but their banter with each other just isn't as fun.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Because the Kirby franchise’s gone long enough without any new characters, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want to have two Kirby newcomers
So what about Dixie Kong?
I've got a weird hangup about these two (Kirby and DK), depending on how much the roster is condensed I don't have that much pressing need for either of their character lineups to be expanded on. I think each of them have a really tight, cozy roster of the three most important / dynamic characters in the series and three characters feels like kind of a nice sweet spot for a series that isn't Mario, Zelda or Pokemon.

This isn't me really saying like this or that deserving, blah blah blah reps or anything so much as I'm just really happy with where Kirby and DK are at. So long as the three characters they current have are here for the long haul, and get more sufficient supplementary content. We all know Kirby could use some more modern stuff via stages, music and AT, DK needs some more stage variety. But character wise, I think I'm content with priorities being placed elsewhere when there are other series who could use a bit more love and then OTHER series that don't have any love at all. Plus series that are relatively fresh faces to Smash, like Animal Crossing and Splatoon, that I think should get the opportunity to catch up.

As a disclaimer, Kirby is my favorite video game series. I would be over the moon to get more, but I don't think we need it. Bandana Dee definitely has enough presence to warrant it by now but the pessimist in me also tells me he's gone the way of Toad and is neglected due to the team's own stigma of just not finding him captivating enough on his own. Maybe the fan demand and his further amplified presence would force them to reconsider that.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong is among my most wanted first party characters for Smash (at least out of those with a realistic chance). My ideal moveset for her would be to utilize various animal buddies for her specials but I’ll also take a tag team with Kiddy and we can get the animal buddies as assist trophies or something similar. I feel like our current DK characters don’t really represent the mechanics of the original DKC games very well. Donkey Kong took several games to get his roll dash attack and Diddy pulls a lot more from 64 as well as moves made up for Smash. To me, the animal buddies and tag mechanics were a big part of what made the DKC games so cool. I also really liked Dixie as a character and her hair mechanics.

As for Kirby, my most wanted will always be Bugzzy but I wouldn’t say the chances are too great for that. We did get Piranha Plant in Ultimate though so I suppose it’s not impossible.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
And while I can't say I'd be all that surprised if it got in, I think some people are overestimating XBC3's chances of a rep, even some to the point of taking it as a foregone conclusion, which I don’t think is the case. Simply because a LOT of existing series are on the docket for new reps which I could easily see as higher priorities than the growing but still more niche XBC: Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, and Pikmin at the least, and some of those could even get two new reps in various situations. While having Aegis certainly doesn't preclude another Switch-era Xenoblade rep, the fact that we already have a pretty recent addition from the series, and from a game that performed better than XBC3 did, may further push XBC3 down the pipeline.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'll say again that I'm dreading the idea of Xenoblade becoming yet another "rotating cast" franchise that always gets a rep every game.

It's just going to rapidly descend into flavor of the month picks like Fire Emblem and Pokemon.
In general we need a renaissance of secondary characters on the roster. For Xenoblade’s case, add a Nopon or something. Sorely lacking in the little guy spectrum

Gengar84

Smash Hero
And while I can't say I'd be all that surprised if it got in, I think some people are overestimating XBC3's chances of a rep, even some to the point of taking it as a foregone conclusion, which I don’t think is the case. Simply because a LOT of existing series are on the docket for new reps which I could easily see as higher priorities than the growing but still more niche XBC: Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, and Pikmin at the least, and some of those could even get two new reps in various situations. While having Aegis certainly doesn't preclude another Switch-era Xenoblade rep, the fact that we already have a pretty recent addition from the series, and from a game that performed better than XBC3 did, may further push XBC3 down the pipeline.
I’d say a XBC3 character is one of the more likely choices but it definitely isn’t a sure thing. Like you said, there are a ton of other great games to pull from as well. If we just got Noah as a standalone, I feel he’s a bit too similar to Shulk in terms of gameplay. Bringing in both he and Mio would work but we just did that with Pyra and Mythra. Mio is a cool character and my choice if we got a standalone but might feel weird without Noah.

My preferred option for an XB3 rep is getting both but in a different way from Pyra/Mythra. Their stage intro would feature both separately and immediately fuse into their Ouroboros form once the battle begins. The fusion form itself would be the playable character, which has its own options for final smash attacks. This would definitely be a unique way to represent the game without redoing the previous gimmick. Alternatively, I’d be happy with Nia as a character since she was by far my favorite character from Xenoblade 2 and played a prominent role in 3.

As much as I love the Xenoblade games, I don’t feel like another character is absolutely necessary so none of them quite make my top 10 most wanted list. It’s probably a different story if you limit that to first party and add the stipulation of one rep per series (otherwise it would probably be all Pokemon lol).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ll always support secondary characters and villains for Smash. The main protagonist of a game is almost never my favorite character and going with nothing but them and silent avatar characters can make the roster a bit boring in my opinion.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I still wish we got Edelgard, Dmitri, or Claude over Byleth.
Same here. I’m not big on silent avatar characters in general and I really liked the house leaders. That’s one reason I support Magus over Crono. The other is that Magus is one of my favorite video game characters ever.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’ll always support secondary characters and villains for Smash. The main protagonist of a game is almost never my favorite character and going with nothing but them and silent avatar characters can make the roster a bit boring in my opinion.
there is definitely a trend of protagonists in video games where the protagonist is either, kinda blank (shulk, Noah) a happy idiot (Sora, Rex) or a brooder (cloud, squall). Mind you the side characters and villains have their own trends

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I’d say a XBC3 character is one of the more likely choices but it definitely isn’t a sure thing. Like you said, there are a ton of other great games to pull from as well. If we just got Noah as a standalone, I feel he’s a bit too similar to Shulk in terms of gameplay. Bringing in both he and Mio would work but we just did that with Pyra and Mythra. Mio is a cool character and my choice if we got a standalone but might feel weird without Noah.

My preferred option for an XB3 rep is getting both but in a different way from Pyra/Mythra. Their stage intro would feature both separately and immediately fuse into their Ouroboros form once the battle begins. The fusion form itself would be the playable character, which has its own options for final smash attacks. This would definitely be a unique way to represent the game without redoing the previous gimmick. Alternatively, I’d be happy with Nia as a character since she was by far my favorite character from Xenoblade 2 and played a prominent role in 3.

As much as I love the Xenoblade games, I don’t feel like another character is absolutely necessary so none of them quite make my top 10 most wanted list. It’s probably a different story if you limit that to first party and add the stipulation of one rep per series (otherwise it would probably be all Pokemon lol).
If we did get an XBC3 rep, my personal preference is solo Noah. I think he could be made unique enough even with just a sword-based moveset, but I can also see the devs not liking that route. I agree solo Mio is awkward without Noah, and that idk if they'd do another Xenoblade duo character right on the heels of P/M. Your idea is creative and interesting, though honestly I don't think that's what they'd go with either.

Anyway I also really enjoy the Xenoblade games, but I don't really want another rep for them right now. I'd rather focus on other series with IMO more pressing need for expansion, and don't think we need to start the trend of giving a rep for every single mainline entry. I mean skipping some games pretty much has to happen at some point for every series. In this case I prefer representing XBC1 and 2 over 3 anyway.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Dixie Kong is among my most wanted first party characters for Smash (at least out of those with a realistic chance). My ideal moveset for her would be to utilize various animal buddies for her specials but I’ll also take a tag team with Kiddy and we can get the animal buddies as assist trophies or something similar. I feel like our current DK characters don’t really represent the mechanics of the original DKC games very well. Donkey Kong took several games to get his roll dash attack and Diddy pulls a lot more from 64 as well as moves made up for Smash. To me, the animal buddies and tag mechanics were a big part of what made the DKC games so cool. I also really liked Dixie as a character and her hair mechanics.

As for Kirby, my most wanted will always be Bugzzy but I wouldn’t say the chances are too great for that. We did get Piranha Plant in Ultimate though so I suppose it’s not impossible.
I'd rather go with your second option, with Dixie and Kiddy being a tag team and the animal buddies being assist trophies (surprised Rambi isn't already). For one, I'm not fond of "summon a character out of thin air for a reference" movesets, but I also think the tag team style is ripe with potential and you could expand upon it for a platform fighter (see how Angry Beavers did it). I like the animal bbuddies, but if anything I'd prefer them as assist trophies and/or playable characters (Rambi as the main fighter with Squawks riding on him to provide minor assistance + a recovery).

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly this might sounds weird, but the main reason why I want a Xenoblade 3 character is because I want a Xenoblade 3 stages with lots of music. I feared that if they don't go all in with a character, they will just forget about it and not give it a stage similar to what happened to Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 in base game Ult. who only had 3 music. Pokémon is a similar situation where generation that got no playable characters like Gen 3 got barely anything (no stages despite Hoenn being an amazing region and only 2 music before Ultimate finally added Steven theme and Zinnia theme from the remake so it's now 4 music if you count that).

After having played Return to Dream Land Deluxe, I think both Bandana Waddle Dee and Magolor deserve to be playable characters. Because the Kirby franchise’s gone long enough without any new characters, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want to have two Kirby newcomers…which also just so happens to be the same number Brawl introduced via Meta Knight and King Dedede.
I'd love Kirby to have 2 newcomers, but realistically I really don't see it happening. Sure it did happen in Brawl, but at the time there was way less franchises to represent (Xenoblade and Splatoon didn't existed, Animal crossing wasn't as huge, there's way more potential third party stuff, and a few new Ip like Ring fit). The only franchise that I could see having potentially 2 newcomers not including DLC would be Mario with characters like Waluigi, Paper Mario, King Boo, Pauline, Toad being possibilities.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Those are all great ideas. I’ve brought up the idea of playable trainers a few times here and think it could be a really interesting and unique way to represent Pokemon that hasn’t been done before. My thoughts are that they could play similarly to Yuna from Dissidia but use Pokemon instead of Aeons so they take a more active role in the battle compared to Red/Pokemon Trainer. I love the whole Gengar line so I’ll gladly take Hex Maniac. Great Tusk is my favorite Paradox Pokemon and in my top three for the Gen overall along with Ceruledge and Lokix so that would be awesome too. It would also be a very unique build for Smash where it’s closest comparison is Ivysaur.
Honestly, I don't think Sakurai or Game Freak/Pokémon Company would ever greenlight a Trainer being directly on the battlefield but I also don't think the :ultpokemontrainer: gimmick would be repeated due to the labor of making different playable fighters, which is where I came with the idea of the Marvel vs. Capcom assist where the Trainer (in this case Hex Maniac) would be in the background and can summon among other Pokémon in her lineup to do different things such as Litwick using Will-o-Wisp to burn a nearby target or Kadabra using Light Screen to shield Haunter.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Midna could too to some extent, since Hyrule Warriors has her summon these shadow wolves to kind of replicate how Wolf Link operated. "Main mechanic" may be pushing it a bit but the big eye-catching gimmick of that game is reflected here at least.

View attachment 382835
Midna and Skull Kid are definitely in a somewhat odd position, but I think the circumstances of Zelda's current representation could lend itself better to digging back into its catalogue to pull out the characters we missed. These two have persisted pretty well as marketable and popular characters in their own right, with Majora's Mask in particular being one of the most iconic pieces of iconography in the series. Certainly wouldn't be that out of place to introduce one of them now equivalent to someone like K. Rool - albeit less insular Smash demand, but wider popularity in the general Nintendo sphere.

Maybe something from BOTW / TOTK would take precedent right now with how relevant and monumental those games are, but as we addressed few of those characters are quite as dynamic in a way that constitutes a Smash fighter. I really do think it's time to expand on Zelda but I suppose the actual means of doing so remains blurry. I'm convinced Rauru would be a swell pick but I'm not convinced he's THE pick yet.
I agree wholeheartedly, I feel like Skull Kid and Majora's Mask (as in, the game) in particular are still not only well-known, but also very much beloved in the Nintendo sphere and there wouldn't be anything weird with him joining the roster. Same with Midna, though to a slightly lesser extent imo.
The problem is, they've been skipped over multiple times already. I really don't see whoever decides the roster for Smash going back to them, not when TotK was so overwhemingly successful, is fresh on people's minds and offers a character that could translate into Smash the mechanics that lots and lots of people have had fun playing with in 2023 (and do so better than Link himself, who's just not going to get reworked to such an extent).

To be honest, Zelda getting two characters -a new one and an older, traditionally requested one- wouldn't really be that weird either. Zelda games are evergreens and the last fully original newcomer the series got was in Melee.
But actually, Zelda getting a newcomer wouldn't have been weird in previous games either, and it just hasn't happened :( Which brings me back to Skull Kid and Midna having been skipped over three times: Brawl, Smash 4 and Ultimate. At this point I think they just aren't interested in turning them into fighters.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The only franchise that I could see having potentially 2 newcomers not including DLC would be Mario
My potentially spicy take is that I think Splatoon could get two characters, somewhat reliant on which direction they take for the inevitable Octoling though. Seems pretty easy to imagine them adding Octoling as an echo fighter (or a semiclone if we're feeling cheeky) with a full blown newcomer in DJ Octavio, something like that. But as far as series that have really skyrocketed and feel behind on representation relative to their presence with Nintendo as a whole... Splatoon feels like they need something equivalent to that jump Zelda and Kirby got in Melee and Brawl respectively.

Could also see it happening with Zelda like I alluded to before, if they want to add one fresh new face and another fan favorite from a bygone era. There are enough good choices and Zelda just had the biggest popularity boom its gotten in like two decades.

Master Kohga
Never heard this suggested before and I'm into it. Not sure if they'd go for it but this kinda shot up to being my preferred BOTW-era pick lol.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
My potentially spicy take is that I think Splatoon could get two characters, somewhat reliant on which direction they take for the inevitable Octoling though. Seems pretty easy to imagine them adding Octoling as an echo fighter (or a semiclone if we're feeling cheeky) with a full blown newcomer in DJ Octavio, something like that. But as far as series that have really skyrocketed and feel behind on representation relative to their presence with Nintendo as a whole... Splatoon feels like they need something equivalent to that jump Zelda and Kirby got in Melee and Brawl respectively.

Could also see it happening with Zelda like I alluded to before, if they want to add one fresh new face and another fan favorite from a bygone era. There are enough good choices and Zelda just had the biggest popularity boom its gotten in like two decades.
Yeah I forgot about Splatoon and I think it's very fair that it could get 2 newcomers. Zelda I'm really not that sure tho, they already seems to be hesitant enough to add 1 I'm not sure if they would really add 2 side characters, unless they do like a Totk rep + Impa as a echo.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't think Sakurai or Game Freak/Pokémon Company would ever greenlight a Trainer being directly on the battlefield but I also don't think the :ultpokemontrainer: gimmick would be repeated due to the labor of making different playable fighters, which is where I came with the idea of the Marvel vs. Capcom assist where the Trainer (in this case Hex Maniac) would be in the background and can summon among other Pokémon in her lineup to do different things such as Litwick using Will-o-Wisp to burn a nearby target or Kadabra using Light Screen to shield Haunter.
Yeah, you’re probably right about that but I still think it could be a fun and unique way to represent the series. I like your idea for Hex Maniac as well. As for direct fighting, it would only really make sense for specific trainers anyways. Any fighting type gym leader, like Bea, could work well as they are often seen physically training alongside their Pokemon. I also think it could work well for certain villains like Lusamine, Lysander with his Dr. Octopus arms, or Sada/Turo. Jessie and James could also work as each of them have had physical contact with Pokémon before with James kicking the Magikarp and Jessie going after her Seviper. They also use tons of gadgets rather than strictly relying on their Pokemon alone. Probably never going to happen but I think you could make it work.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Genesect is another great Gen 5 rep so I could see it gaining some relevance with a possible remake or Legends Arceus style game. I’m kind of surprised it wasn’t brought back with the Scarlet/Violet DLC with the focus on Gen 5.
did any mythicals come back?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
did any mythicals come back?
Yeah, potential spoilers for anyone who considers the Pokédex as spoilers:

Meloetta, Hoopa, Mew, Deoxys, Diancie, Zarude, Volcanion and Magearna off the top of my head.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
While Kogha could be cool personality- and gameplay-wise, my issue there is that it's far too easy to dump like 100 hours into either TotK or BotW and just like...never encounter him. Or maybe just once as a minor boss. Don't feel like he's the character Nintendo would push.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Zelda may be in a bit of a unique situation where they add a character less because there's some glaring obvious choice and more for the sake of simply adding a character just because it's been so long, and so much has happened in such a big series since the last addition.

But because Smash tends to not look backward unless prompted by demand, which none of the more popular but less current Zelda characters really have to a sufficient extent, it may be a case of getting unexpected and unorthodox with whoever could feasibly work from TotK. Or they overhaul Ganondorf. But I think the actual new character is overdue.

There are shades of a ZSS parallel, where she was added specifically because Sakurai wanted to add another Metroid character, and she both wasn't expected, lacked a huge in-series presence at that point, but was recent and came with a moveset that took liberties with what she'd actually done in-game.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm not going to make anything out of this, but can anyone who reads this check their eshop to see if the Tails and Knuckles Mii Costumes are still available? Saw someone on Reddit claim he couldn't find them and had to use a VPN for an Australian server to purchase them.
I think it might be a eshop bug as when I search the Nintendo dot com eshop I only see the Namco Miis

dream1ng

Smash Lord
While Kogha could be cool personality- and gameplay-wise, my issue there is that it's far too easy to dump like 100 hours into either TotK or BotW and just like...never encounter him. Or maybe just once as a minor boss. Don't feel like he's the character Nintendo would push.
I don't think we'll get Kogha, but I also feel like Zelda is a series they seem to let Sakurai make the calls on. So who they'd push may not be as big a factor.

I'll say again that I'm dreading the idea of Xenoblade becoming yet another "rotating cast" franchise that always gets a rep every game.

It's just going to rapidly descend into flavor of the month picks like Fire Emblem and Pokemon.

Top Bottom