• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
A GX remake would definitely do the series good but, dear god, would it need some easier difficulty settings.
Totally. I really like the look and feel of F-Zero but I was terrible at GX and I never got the hang of it. I wasn’t particularly great at the previous games but I at least felt like I was able to compete with the AI racers.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Do you know what the difference would be between a Super Smash Bros. game that would be a Tactical role-playing game from the Project X Zone series? The answer is that from Namco × Capcom to Project X Zone 2, the characters were neither cartoonish nor looked cartoonish, whereas in that Super Smash Bros. genre Tactical role-playing game I mentioned it would have both cartoonish looking characters and characters that don't look cartoony at all.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do you know what the difference would be between a Super Smash Bros. game that would be a Tactical role-playing game from the Project X Zone series? The answer is that from Namco × Capcom to Project X Zone 2, the characters were neither cartoonish nor looked cartoonish, whereas in that Super Smash Bros. genre Tactical role-playing game I mentioned it would have both cartoonish looking characters and characters that don't look cartoony at all.
I feel like the biggest difference would be that Nintendo characters would be the majority in this scenario.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't think relevance is the problem here. Ryza's bigger issue is having to compete with Ryu Hayabusa and Kasumi for Koei Tecmo's slots.
I’m not counting out Lu Bu or another Warriors rep either. There have been four Nintendo Warriors crossovers now and two more crossovers with third properties with playable representation in Smash. I believe every Samurai Warriors starting with 3 has appeared on Nintendo consoles as well. I think their biggest obstacle is their questionable eligibility due to their basis on historical figures.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's a thought experiment. Give every third-party franchise in Smash (with a playable character) three more playable characters. You can draw from KoF for Terry and Namco's larger arcade catalog for Pac-Man due to the fact Pac-Man and Fatal Fury's representation in Smash already draws so much from these sources.
  • :ultsnake:- Big Boss (based on his appearances in Solid 3 and Peace Walker), Raiden (based on Solid 4 and Revengence), and Revolver Ocelot (skins based on his various appearances)
  • :ultsonic: - Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow
  • :ultmegaman: - X, Zero (based on his appearance from X2 onwards), and Megaman.EXE
  • :ultpacman: - Ms. Pac Man, Valkyrie, and Dig Dug
  • :ultryu: - Chun Li, Guile, and Akuma (I know, another shoto, but he's up there with Ryu for being the crossover king)
  • :ultcloud: - Terra, Black Mage, and Tifa
  • :ultbayonetta: - Jeanne, Rodin, and Father Balder
  • :ultsimon: - Alucard, Soma Cruz, and Maria Renard (based on her appearance in Rondo for maximum meme power)
  • :ultjoker: - Yu, Makoto, and Tatsuya
  • :ulthero: - Slime, Torneko, and Jessica Albert
  • :ultbanjokazooie: - Mumbo, Gruntilda, and Klungo (for maximum meme power)
  • :ult_terry: - Kyo, Iori, and Athena
  • :ultsteve: - Zombie (with a new moveset based around enemy mods), Villager (with a moveset based around random Minecraft items), and the Dungeon Crawler
  • :ultkazuya:- Jin, Nina, and Heihachi
  • :ultsora: - Riku, Roxas, and Aqua

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here's a thought experiment. Give every third-party franchise in Smash (with a playable character) three more playable characters. You can draw from KoF for Terry and Namco's larger arcade catalog for Pac-Man due to the fact Pac-Man and Fatal Fury's representation in Smash already draws so much from these sources.
  • :ultsnake:- Big Boss (based on his appearances in Solid 3 and Peace Walker), Raiden (based on Solid 4 and Revengence), and Revolver Ocelot (skins based on his various appearances)
  • :ultmegaman: - X, Zero (based on his appearance from X2 onwards), and Megaman.EXE
  • :ultryu: - Chun Li, Guile, and Akuma (I know, another shoto, but he's up there with Ryu for being the crossover king)
  • :ultsimon: - Alucard, Soma Cruz, and Maria Renard (based on her appearance in Rondo for maximum meme power)
  • :ultsteve: - Zombie (with a new moveset based around enemy mods), Villager (with a moveset based around random Minecraft items), and the Dungeon Crawler
For only a couple of these:
  • SNK: Iori, Nakoruru and Athena
  • Kingdom Hearts: Riku, Aqua and Xehanort
  • Sonic: Eggman, Tails and Shadow

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
:ultcloud:: Squall, Cecil and Noctis
:ulthero:: Terry, Jessica and Alena
:ultjoker:: Yu, Makoto and Akechi
:ultsonic:: Shadow, Tails and Blaze
:ultsora:: Roxas, Riku and Aqua
:ultryu:: Chun-Li, Sakura and Luke
:ult_terry:: Iori, Athena and Marco
:ultmegaman:: Bass, Megaman Zero and Megaman.EXE

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm only including the ones I feel strongly about/would pick differently:
  • :ultsonic: - Tails, Knuckles, Amy
  • :ultryu: - Chun Li, Juri, Luke
  • :ultcloud: - Barret, Tidus, Y'shtola
  • :ultbayonetta: - Jeanne, Rodin, Viola
  • :ultjoker: - Yu, Aigis, Violet

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm only doing series I really know about.
:ultsonic: - Dr. Eggman, Tails and Shadow.
:ultmegaman: - Zero, Megaman.EXE, Tron Bonne.
:ultpacman: - Valkyrie, Dig Dug/Taizo Hori, Gilgamesh.
:ultryu: - Chun-Li, Akuma, Sakura.
:ultcloud: - Tifa, Black Mage, Bartz.
:ultsimon: - Alucard, Soma Cruz, Shanoa.
:ultbanjokazooie: - Mumbo, Gruntilda, Klungo(if it requires 3, cause otherwise, I think Mumbo and Gruntilda are enough.).
:ultsora: - Riku, Roxas, Aqua.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
here are my picks
:ultsnake:
Raiden, Senator Armstrong, Jetstream Sam
:ultsimon:
Dracula, Alucard, Sepia Belmont (idk if its cheating since she is from Bombergirl but whatever she got a big mf chainsaw and a whip and she is a nun)
:ultsonic:
Shadow, Dr. Eggman, Knuckles
:ultbayonetta:
Jeanne, Rodin, Father Balder
:ultjoker:
Aigis, Yu, Jack Frost (it technically counts since he is in every mainline Persona game)
:ultmegaman:
Zero, Sigma, Protoman
:ultryu:
Gill, Akuma, Chun-Li
:ultpacman:
Ms. Pac-man, Taizo Hori, Gil
:ultkazuya:
Heihachi, Jin, Alisa
:ultcloud:
Black Mage, Kefka, Exdeath
:ulthero3:
:slime:, Dragonlord, Alena
:ultbanjokazooie:
Gruntilda, Mumbo, Klungo
:ultsteve:
:ultzombie:, Piglin, Warden
:ult_terry:
Marco, Athena, Nakoruru
:ultsora:
Riku, Roxas, Xehanort

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I finally realized the Toon link alts/ Costumes similar to adult link i crammed every Smol link design into one character (Nes, La and Shadow all use a resized version of the la remake model) also the only toon link costumes i cut were the two based on nes and Alttp/ La/ oracle for obvious reasons
1695063358801.jpeg

as a cool tidbit you could get diffrent swords to customize your link that being:
Master Sword/ Hylia Shield (WW)
Heros Sword/ Shield (WW Start)
Lokomo Sword/ Old Shield (ST/ PH)
Kokiri Sword/ Deku Shield (OOT)
Fighters Sword/ Hylia Shield (LA)

FazDude

Smash Master
Only doing franchises I know a lot about (or at least enough to have a solid idea on how everyone would play).
  • Sonic, Dr. Eggman, Tails, & Knuckles
  • Mega Man, Proto Man, Zero, and and... any robot master honestly
  • Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, the Ghost Gang, and Taizo Hori
  • Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, and M. Bison
  • Cloud, Sephiroth, Viva, and Kefka
  • Simon, Richter, Dracula, and Alucard
  • Banjo, Grunty, Mumbo, and Klungo
  • Steve, Creeper, Enderman, and Piglin

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Another thing about F-Zero 99 is how surprisingly well some of the classic mechanics translated IMO. For one, I was always a bit concerned that the possibility of crashing out or ranking out completely would be a big turn-off to many casual or younger fans (for example, people whose only experience with racing games is Mario Kart). But presenting itself as a "battle royale" type of game, F-Zero 99 seems to have largely subverted that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I’m not counting out Lu Bu or another Warriors rep either. There have been four Nintendo Warriors crossovers now and two more crossovers with third properties with playable representation in Smash. I believe every Samurai Warriors starting with 3 has appeared on Nintendo consoles as well. I think their biggest obstacle is their questionable eligibility due to their basis on historical figures.
Problem solved: choose Impa from Age of Calamity instead.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Shower thought: remember the Kunio-kun spirit in Ultimate which was content from ArcSys without a playable character at the time?

what if that is the first step in negotiating and potentially securing an ArcSys character for the next Smash?
I don't think any third-party IP currently in Smash in a non-playable role would've turned down the offer of playability, other than possibly the Monster Hunter team. If Nintendo had wanted Kunio on the roster, I don't think ASW would've met them with skepticism and the compromise of using some pngs as a trial run.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I like how were talking about the Hyrule warriors games and not the Fire emblem Warriors games.
Three Hopes was well liked and it's original characters and even character designs have gotten into Fire Emblem Heroes. Heck, their OCs even got Seasonals in FEH.
The first one was divisive mainly because of the prioritising of some games rather than all games, which would've opened it's own can of worms.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I like how were talking about the Hyrule warriors games and not the Fire emblem Warriors games.
I thought Shez was a much better protagonist than Byleth. I’ve never really cared much for the self insert avatars like Byleth and really liked Shez’s personality.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Honestly if Smash Bros can include a version of Real Actual Living Guy Dr. Kawashima as an assist, I don't see why very fictionalized versions of historical figures who are already essentially treated as "characters" by a lot of East Asian media should be off the table

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
no
especially when Ryu hayabusa is her biggest competitor
but i can see her as 2nd rep to tecmo especially when atelier producer have her smash support with a big yes
Why would Nintendo pick , Hayabusa , over , Ryza ?

Ryza , has much more recency relevancy than , Hayabusa

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Three hopes was fun but the story kinda bugged me
The story is so weird, it introduces and follows up on a number of great elements, but a fair few of them go nowhere. TWSITD are still underdeveloped despite Arval's existence, the Church and Rhea in particular barely exists which hurts Claude's motivation in GW, Almyra still feels wasted as it only gets two chapters and it still manages to lack focus, Shez's backstory is barely touched on which is a shame as Shez is a fun avatar character, and let's not get into the endings (especially AG). It's like it learned some needed lessons from Three Houses, but then proceeded to skip the rest of the classes and phone in the rest of the course, so it ends up being a mixed bag.

On the flipside though, it's gameplay's really solid and is a great step up from FEW overall.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why would Nintendo pick , Hayabusa , over , Ryza ?

Ryza , has much more recency relevancy than , Hayabusa
Because recency isn't everything when picking Smash characters.

Remember, Mega Man got picked before Ryu when Ryu had a much healthier franchise.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace

Remember, Mega Man got picked before Ryu when Ryu had a much healthier franchise.
LOL , not an answer. , What value does Hayabusa bring which is better than Ryza's ?

Random thought: If custom moves returned in Ultimate, I wouldn't even bother trying to balance them, especially considering the workload just to bring them back at all. In which case, I'd gladly emphasize that they're not to be used competitively.
i believe you meant SSB-6

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

It gets even worse when you realize the only active product for MegaMan was a Sonic Comic crossover. Not even a game(or a Pachinko Game, which is something).

But yeah, there's factors beyond relevance(even if it's a more minor front. Like Banjo & Kazooie being used actively for Rare Replay, which isn't really so much relevant as "a product in use, and thus, it's pretty easy to see why a company would be a fan of essentially advertising it"). Honestly, people put a bit too much into that factor, when while it happens, it often is for a new franchise or a rotating cast at best. And not even all new franchises. Just sometimes.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
LOL , not an answer. , What value does Hayabusa bring which is better than Ryza's ?
I gave you a suitable answer. You just decided to change the question.

Ninja Gaiden and Atelier are both valuable series. Ninja Gaiden just has more history and more presence in non Ninja Gaiden games (one quick example would be Hayabusa"s frequent appearances in Dead or Alive). Many see Hayabusa as an honorary mascot of sorts. That's why he's requested for Smash more.

Neither is really better than the other. They both have their unique advantages and disadvantages. They'd both bring popular unique series and would be unique characters. I personally don't see Atlier as too likely as it doesn't have much as Smash popularity (requests) as Ninja Gaiden or Dynasty Warriors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom