• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So much so I'm still surprised he's technically a clone. I hope he comes back he's my favorite of the trio.
It's cause people don't understand that a Moveset Clone is not the same thing as a Model Swap. Ness is in the same boat, built off of Mario in the same way. Wolf just shares more moves, but not the playstyle. Jigglypuff is a good example of actually sharing the playstyle to a pretty big degree and far more fits the Moveset Clone moniker.

Cloud shares just about as much with Ike as Wolf does with Fox. Maybe slightly less. Cloud's basically born in a similar way that Ness was, heh. Wolf feels kind of similar enough that I can get why people think it counts.

Bayonetta is even more separated from her base(ZSS) than freaking Ness is(who has the same clear model alone) from Mario(at least in 64. Ness I don't think borrows from Mario in later games?).

Sakurai doesn't really use Clone either, only specifying if characters traditionally use the same Moveset. He otherwise uses Model Swap in a different context, not using it to refer to "sharing the same moveset" at all.

That said, it's best to think of some characters as not really clones, but just "we needed a base". Ness(Mario), Cloud(Ike), Corrin(Ike), Bayonetta(Zero Suit Samus). There's probably more, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Page 777, the lucky and guidance number.

This new Donkey Kong game is sick, same as the revival of the series.

Whoa Dixie, Impa AND Funky as newcomers next Smash? And they're more unique as expected?

A new Golden Sun even!? What? Isaac in Smash too!! With Felix as Echo Fighter!!!

Well damn that's good news

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Are we still taking the angle that having had non-playable representation in the past is a negative for their future chances?
Being an AT, boss, etc. is, in the first place, a great honor and an indication that Nintendo and/or Sakurai value that character in some capacity. It's not meant as a steadfast declaration that they will never be made playable.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Are we still taking the angle that having had non-playable representation in the past is a negative for their future chances?
Being an AT, boss, etc. is, in the first place, a great honor and an indication that Nintendo and/or Sakurai value that character in some capacity. It's not meant as a steadfast declaration that they will never be made playable.
I wouldn’t think that would negatively impact a character’s chances. All it really shows is that the character was a popular request at the time in most cases and just missed the cut for a playable character or couldn’t be feasibly implemented as a playable character (like Rathalos). Little Mac was an assist in Brawl and made it in as a playable character in Smash 4 so it definitely doesn’t disqualify them. I think the biggest factor is whether that character’s fan support remains strong in later games.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'd say it depends on the developer. But in general no, being an AT is not automatic grounds for never being playable bc Little Mac.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Completely random, but does anybody have any thoughts on this?

I know this is skewed priorities to ask but I feel this is also the only appropriate place to ask:
Do you think these emails leaking are going to endanger the chances of Microsoft characters appearing in future Smash installments?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know this is skewed priorities to ask but I feel this is also the only appropriate place to ask:
Do you think these emails leaking are going to endanger the chances of Microsoft characters appearing in future Smash installments?
why would it?

Ivander

Smash Legend
I doubt it'll do anything against characters' chances. Especially when this really isn't anything compared to Activision Blizzard or Konami's treatment to Kojima and some of it's other workers earlier. If it does anything, it'll probably just make companies and whatnot look more carefully at Microsoft regarding buyouts and acquisitions.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
No - it's an embarrassing look for MS, but the cooperation is still mutually beneficial, and I don't think Nintendo is going to let pettiness outweigh that. Maybe in the Yamauchi days of Nintendo changing the locks on Square, not now.

Something like that wouldn't come at the behest of the Smash team anyway, it would be some company mandate that they couldn't work with MS. Forget a few Smash characters, between Minecraft and CoD (even with MS's legal obligation), Nintendo isn't going to want to strain that relationship.

And really, Microsoft's Switch support only leads to further success for Nintendo, which in turn only pushes this defeated, hardware-abandoning Nintendo that Spencer has envisioned that much further away.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ive been playing Ghost trick recently.

If Phoenix ever joins smash i hope they do what they did in MVC3 and have one of his alt skins be based on this game.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I've never played any of the Custom Robo series games, but from what I understand from what I've read about it, it's almost similar to Medabots, ie the winner gets the opponent Robo's parts, like in Medabots they take from defeated opponent Medabots parts. If they are going to put a character from the Custom Robo series as a newcomer in future Super Smash Bros. games, they should bring Ray who debuted in the first game of the series and is the first Robo of the Ray series. Medabots mean I'd like Metabee, let alone Rokusho also as newcomers in future Super Smash Bros. games.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ive been playing Ghost trick recently.

If Phoenix ever joins smash i hope they do what they did in MVC3 and have one of his alt skins be based on this game.
I love Ghost Trick, but...Phoenix and Sissel's movesets don't really have anything in common.

Unless you just mean an alt where Phoenix wears Sissel's colors.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I've never played any of the Custom Robo series games, but from what I understand from what I've read about it, it's almost similar to Medabots, ie the winner gets the opponent Robo's parts, like in Medabots they take from defeated opponent Medabots parts. If they are going to put a character from the Custom Robo series as a newcomer in future Super Smash Bros. games, they should bring Ray who debuted in the first game of the series and is the first Robo of the Ray series. Medabots mean I'd like Metabee, let alone Rokusho also as newcomers in future Super Smash Bros. games.
It's not actually. Only in Custom Robo Battle Revolution, aka the Gamecube one, had a system where you got a Robo piece from defeating a foe or proceeding the story and even then, it wasn't always a piece the opponent had. In the other Custom Robo games, you bought the Robos/Parts from stores while others were unlocked for you, most notably the Illigal parts where you had to defeat a character using them to get them since you obviously couldn't buy them.

Also, the fights/mechanics are also different. The Robos are much much smaller than people, almost all of them the size of an action figure. And they are the equivalent of a Mini-Mecha where the owners "dive" into the Robots and pilots them/wears them like a robot suit. And while there are often safety measures, it is very possible for the hosts to get injured or even killed by a damage overload while piloting the Robo. Basically, the only similarity between Custom Robo and Medabots is that the robots are the main focus, but mechanically they are very different. The Promotional Animation can give some of the details better.

And yeah, Ray would be the de-facto choice for Custom Robo. The only question would be if they base the alternate costumes off of the other Ray models, which for some they could, some others probably not. Ray Sky/AIRS from the GBA Custom Robo(and Arena) notably have different body structures from the other Rays and Ray 01 from the Gamecube game is filled to the brim with alot of additional details compared to the other Rays.
I can see it now: Custom Robo........99!
Stick everyone in a little arena and watch the carnage
It's really hard to picture when simply 4 players in a Holosseam practically make it full. Like for a Custom Robo 99 to work, you would really need a gigantic Arena that probably wouldn't be so different from a Map in a Top-Down Battle Royale like Battle Crush or another game like it.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Wish alt. color palettes in Smash had references to other franchises unrelated to their characters (Similar to BlazBlue or Under Night)

SPEN18

Smash Champion
It's really hard to picture when simply 4 players in a Holosseam practically make it full. Like for a Custom Robo 99 to work, you would really need a gigantic Arena that probably wouldn't be so different from a Map in a Top-Down Battle Royale like Battle Crush or another game like it.
"Hard to picture" is what I said about F-Zero 99 before seeing it in action. Though with CR99 you wouldn't have everyone funneled along a set path like in a racing game.
But I think the challenge of this hypothetical concept, yeah, would be finding the right balance of player count vs. arena size. I mean you want chaos but not to the point of not being able to see what you're doing.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Ah, i thought purple and brown was Sherlock Holmes lol
It's well known that Sherlock Holmes's outfit is brown, but I don't think Sherlock Holmes had a purple outfit. However, I had thought of Phoenix Wright in a white, black and grey outfit as well.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Completely random, but does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Impractical for numerous reasons.

-Nintendo a very old, established company that has no interest in being bought by anyone, especially given their strong hardware sales numbers.
-The company is a crown jewel for Japan and nation's government would balk at the very suggestion of it being bought by a US company.
-Even if the above two elements weren't a factor, regulatory bodies all over the world would hit Microsoft hard for attempting such a monopoly.

Phil Spencer and hardcore console fans are the only ones that would want this; numerous other major significant bodies in gaming would fight it hard.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
There was also his DLC costume in UMvC3. but...
View attachment 377943
Now obviously, this was a thing long before COVID happened, but I can still imagine there would be mixed feelings on this being a costume nowadays.
Make it a costume similar to how Street Fighter 5 handled some costumes. Basically, have Phoenix with this outfit but without the mask normally, then have a secret option where you hold down a button and when you start, he'll have the mask on.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
View attachment 377943
Now obviously, this was a thing long before COVID happened, but I can still imagine there would be mixed feelings on this being a costume nowadays.
It's really not a concern to anyone that isn't a complete idiot.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 377943
Japan and tons of different countries in Asia in general don't have the warped aversion to face masks that a lot of the dumber anti-vax folks in the west do. It's treated completely normally there, as it should be to anyone who isn't a complete buffoon.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Impractical for numerous reasons.

-Nintendo a very old, established company that has no interest in being bought by anyone, especially given their strong hardware sales numbers.
-The company is a crown jewel for Japan and nation's government would balk at the very suggestion of it being bought by a US company.
-Even if the above two elements weren't a factor, regulatory bodies all over the world would hit Microsoft hard for attempting such a monopoly.

Phil Spencer and hardcore console fans are the only ones that would want this; numerous other major significant bodies in gaming would fight it hard.
Nintendo should not be bought by anyone, it has proven over the years that even in the most difficult situations it can cope, it never gives up and until today it has achieved everything. I don't know about others, but for me neither the Playstation series nor the Xbox series are more famous than the consoles and games that Nintendo makes, in other words there is nothing that I consider more famous than Nintendo.

Top Bottom