• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member

I hate Snake, he is just un-fun to play as.

Mii Gunner , getting Snake's , Nikita , as a neutral;special would be soo much fun.
I can't say that I agree, I'm afraid. I'm already sick of Mii Gunner mains sitting in centre stage and spamming Grenade Launcher at the ledge every time they launch me far enough away. If the character is going to be given a new tool, I'd much rather it not be yet another non-interactive move that will encourage mindless online matches. I'd prefer instead for Mii Gunner to be given a mix-up option that fleshes the character out into something beyond discount Samus.

At least Snake can use his explosives for some impressive set ups, even if the typical player does immediately resort to Nikita the moment their opponent if off stage.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
interesting thoughts on Directs for this year,

Adding Nintendo Switch means something

I can't say I agree, I'm afraid. I'm already sick of Mii Gunner mains sitting in centre stage and spamming Grenade Launcher at the ledge every time they launch me far enough away. If the character is going to be given a new tool, I'd much rather it not be yet another non-interactive move encouraging mindless online matches. I'd prefer instead for Mii Gunner to be given a mix-up option , fleshing them out into something beyond discount Samus.
You prove my point , No more grenade launch from , Mii Gunner,
rather Nikita , rebranded as , Miikita

Side Special , would be, Bomb Drop , rebranded as , Bomb Toss

down special would be , absorption , though i would have it operate the same as , Lucas

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Richter I'm pretty sure will remain separated from Simon aside from extenuating circumstances. Part of the reason Sakurai didn't turn Dr. Mario into a costume was because he felt his fans would prefer him to remain his own character, Richter is in the same position, he's a pretty liked Belmont in his series that will now have Smash presence to add to it, and that popularity may even increase even more depending on how well the new Castlevania series will go. As a character he's now defined on his own and it's definitely to the point that I'd feel they would avoid folding him into Simon.

On that note, I'm curious to see what will happen with the Echoes next game. Their ease of creation means they can easily be added back into the game as long as time allows for it to happen, but that ease of creation means they're generally going to be low priority against the rest of the cast. So, someone like Daisy could remain over Bowser Jr. if the latter couldn't be developed in time while the former could, but vice versa could easily happen because the latter is more likely to be prioritized and potentially get the time and resources he does need to be completed first. So I'm curious to see, outside of the third party ones (Ken and Richter they'd have to license to make them in the first place so they'd probably be prioritized as a result), how they'll handle the situation.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I hate Snake, he is just un-fun to play as.

Mii Gunner , getting Snake's , Nikita , as a neutral;special would be soo much fun.
The Miis already use moves similar to existing ones, there's no need for a character to be cut for something like that to happen.

I know your reason is playstyle (we all have a character we don't find fun to play, btw), but these kinda takes take me back to the days Snake used to be quite divisive as a character, which is never really touched upon anymore. Back when the other third-parties were all very Nintendo-y, and he was not. Though that stopped around Cloud.

I always liked getting "mature" characters in Smash, because it helped highlight the scope of the crossover and the novelty of seeing... like... this...

And hopefully someday, an actual version of this

But now it feels like Snake/MGS sticks out so little, he's ended up one of the least talked about third-parties. Can't remember the last time a discussion was had about the series in Smash. Probably doesn't help what Konami's done to it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Miis already use moves similar to existing ones, there's no need for a character to be cut for something like that to happen.

I know your reason is playstyle (we all have a character we don't find fun to play, btw), but these kinda takes take me back to the days Snake used to be quite divisive as a character, which is never really touched upon anymore. Back when the other third-parties were all very Nintendo-y, and he was not. Though that stopped around Cloud.

I always liked getting "mature" characters in Smash, because it helped highlight the scope of the crossover and the novelty of seeing... like... this...

And hopefully someday, an actual version of this

But now it feels like Snake/MGS sticks out so little, he's ended up one of the least talked about third-parties. Can't remember the last time a discussion was had about the series in Smash. Probably doesn't help what Konami's done to it.
Snake Kirby is one of my favourite Kirby hats for the beard alone. It looks so hilarious on Kirby.

(also, I'd love to see Doomguy in Smash, especially if it brings back the Doomguy and Isabelle friendship memes)

I like it that Smash covers a wide variety of tones and genres rather than limiting itself to one when it comes to guest characters (and other content, like Mii costumes). It might have caused some issues with the ESRB, leading to things like...

...since they seemingly can't advertise M-rated series by name in Smash presentations any more, but I got into games like Persona and Metal Gear as a result of their inclusion in Smash, and I love that they opened up these doors rather than playing it safe when it comes to guest characters. (I was already a Bayonetta fan by the time she was added to Smash 4; I bought a Wii U in part for Bayonetta 2)

Here's hoping that they expand on the guest characters from M-rated games in future instalments. There are plenty that I'd like to see - 2B from Nier Automata, Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden (though I suppose they could draw from the NES-era ones; I just figure that using the 3D games and Dead Or Alive would boost his moveset potential, and he NEEDS an Izuna Drop), Dante from the Devil May Cry series... (also, for first party franchises, I'd love to see any significant Eternal Darkness content even if it's just a stage)

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
If they ever cast John Raimi from Geist which is an M-rated first party game as newcomer, will they cast him in future Super Smash Bros. game as alive or as a ghost? Although in the last stage, there he can come out of his own body whenever he wants. So the question is, how would this mode work in a Super Smash Bros. game?

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
If they ever cast John Raimi from Geist which is an M-rated first party game as newcomer, will they cast him in future Super Smash Bros. game as alive or as a ghost? Although in the last stage, there he can come out of his own body whenever he wants.
Most likely his ghost form.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Most likely his ghost form.
I just remembered that when John Raimi as a ghost is out of a body he can't survive long unless they change that to a Super Smash Bros. game, but as I wrote, in the final stage he has his own body back but he can get out of there for a while whenever he wants. So based on the latter, one wonders how this mode would work in a Super Smash Bros. game.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
After playing Dragon Quest Monsters 3: The Dark Prince demo i would like to see Psaro as the 2nd DQ rep, he is cool.
Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince is coming to Switch in December —  Maxi-Geek

Also, today is my 1st month anniversary in SmashBoards! I can't believe it's been a month already since i joined, time flies!

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think Agent 8 being the protagonist of the Side Order DLC further increases the likelihood of Octoling being a unique newcomer in the next Smash Bros. Splatoon continues to ride high, Splatoon 2 and 3 brought a ton of new gameplay options that are currently unrepresented in Inkling's moveset, and Octolings continue to be a key element of Splatoon's iconography.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Since Agent 8’s initial weapon at the start of side Order seems to be Dualies I think their default weapon in Smash, the B move would be Dualies. Hold it down to continuously fire like Inkling’s B, but tilting left or right while holding down B can make them dodge roll just like Dualies in Splatoon

other weapons could include Chargers, Brellas, Splatlings, Splatanas, Stringers etc. maybe a Booyah Bomb final smash?

Laniv

Smash Champion
Since Agent 8’s initial weapon at the start of side Order seems to be Dualies I think their default weapon in Smash, the B move would be Dualies. Hold it down to continuously fire like Inkling’s B, but tilting left or right while holding down B can make them dodge roll just like Dualies in Splatoon

other weapons could include Chargers, Brellas, Splatlings, Splatanas, Stringers etc. maybe a Booyah Bomb final smash?
Ideal (unique character): Dualies standard B, Brellas side B, super jump up B, and ink mine down B

Less than ideal (echo): Octo Shot, Carbon Roller (or Dynamo Roller?), super jump and suction bomb

D

Deleted member

I think Agent 8 being the protagonist of the Side Order DLC further increases the likelihood of Octoling being a unique newcomer in the next Smash Bros. Splatoon continues to ride high, Splatoon 2 and 3 brought a ton of new gameplay options that are currently unrepresented in Inkling's moveset, and Octolings continue to be a key element of Splatoon's iconography.
Agreed. I expect an Assist Trophy at the very least. However, I don’t think they’ll ever replace Inkling with an Octoling entirely as being the original grants you immense staying power. That’s why Marth is going to keep sticking around despite not appearing as the main protagonist of a Fire Emblem game for nearly fifteen years.

If you want a more niche example, were the next Smash game to have Xenoblade representation, I’d be very surprised if they included Noah by himself rather than Noah and Shulk.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Say, I want to bring up something in regards to the Switch 2; which is kinda different from what this topic is supposed to be about, except the next Smash is sure to be on the next console. With that said...

At least one person I have seen believes the next Smash might be revealed at the Tokyo Game Show, or so it seems. What are the odds of that happening? Also, with Nintendo being open for just business as it was said in a link in another post here, if they were to announce the Switch 2 or whatever it is going to be called, would any possible announcement for the next Nintendo console be public since they are doing just business?

Just wanted to make sure, here.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Say, I want to bring up something in regards to the Switch 2; which is kinda different from what this topic is supposed to be about, except the next Smash is sure to be on the next console. With that said...

At least one person I have seen believes the next Smash might be revealed at the Tokyo Game Show, or so it seems. What are the odds of that happening? Also, with Nintendo being open for just business as it was said in a link in another post here, if they were to announce the Switch 2 or whatever it is going to be called, would any possible announcement for the next Nintendo console be public since they are doing just business?

Just wanted to make sure, here.
I don’t think Smash would be revealed at a region exclusive event like TGS or Gamescom, that kinda thing is a worldwide event

although technically Shulk was revealed for Smash 4 in a Japan only 3DS direct and shadow dropped for the rest of the world; and also, at TGS 2015, Chrom, Lucina and Mecha-Fiora were revealed for Project X Zone 2 but that game has a stronger Japan appeal anyway

but yeah. Smash wouldn’t be revealed or have a reveal at Gamescom either I’d reckon. MAYBE The Game Awards but that’s a stretch for a whole ass game. Character reveals are fine tho

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Even if we're assuming that a new Smash would be coming out in the first year of a Switch 2, Nintendo would neither:

A: Announce a sequel to one of their best selling franchises at a Tokyo Game Show and not an internationally seen Direct.
B: Announce a game for a system when they're likely hoping for big sales from the current console at Christmas.

There is no reason to reveal a Smash right now when Nintendo wants John Q. Public to be reminded of the titles coming out before Christmas and/or in the spring. The only venue I could see Nintendo showing off a new Smash in 2023 would be at the game awards, and even then it makes more sense to announce the next console first and then show off the games for it.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don’t think Smash would be revealed at a region exclusive event like TGS or Gamescom, that kinda thing is a worldwide event

although technically Shulk was revealed for Smash 4 in a Japan only 3DS direct and shadow dropped for the rest of the world; and also, at TGS 2015, Chrom, Lucina and Mecha-Fiora were revealed for Project X Zone 2 but that game has a stronger Japan appeal anyway

but yeah. Smash wouldn’t be revealed or have a reveal at Gamescom either I’d reckon. MAYBE The Game Awards but that’s a stretch for a whole ass game. Character reveals are fine tho
I was thinking along those lines. Just wanted to be sure.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
People focusing on Nintendo not announcing things at TGS anymore, which is true, but no one talking about Nintendo showing a game exclusive to the next system before the next system is even announced...

That doesn't make any sense at all...
What do you mean? They already showed off Metroid prime 4.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Quoting another roster of mine from another thread:
Source Gaming did their own PxZ3 roster:
Going off this, here’s my updated roster (red italics bold denotes a character who starts out as a Rival Unit)
New protags
(Brother and sister related to a former agent of Ouma Europe)​
Reiji & Xiaomu
(Namco x Capcom)​
Cassandra Alexandra & Yoshimitsu
(Soul Calibur 2 / Tekken 8)​
Haken Browning & Aschen Brodel
(Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier)​
Velvet Crowe & Laphicet
(Tales of Berseria)​
Louis Amamiya & Mia Karnstein
(Code Vein)​
Ryu & Ken
(Street Fight VI)​
Dante & Nero
(Devil May Cry V)​
Akira Kazama & Sakura Kasugano
(Rival Schools / Street Fighter V)​
Mega Man X & Mega Man Zero
(Mega Man X5 / Mega Man Zero)​
Leon S. Kennedy & Claire Redfield
(Resident Evil 4 / Resident Evil Degeneration)​
Frank West & Chuck Greene
(Dead Rising 2: Case West)​
Morrigan & Lilith
(Darkstalkers)​
Guy & Cody
(Final Fight)​
Sakura Shinguji & Sakura Amamiya
(Sakura Wars)​
Kazuma Kiryu & Ichiban Kasuga
(Yakuza: Like a Dragon)​
Akira Yuji & Aoi Umenokoji
(Virtua Fighter)​
Jacky Bryant & Sarah Bryant
(Virtua Fighter)​
Mr. Y & Ms. Y
(Streets of Rage 4)​
Vyse & Aika
(Skies of Arcadia)​
Joker & Akechi
(Persona 5)​
Arle & Schezo
(Puyo Puyo / Madou Monogatari)​
Edelgard & Dimitri
(Fire Emblem: Three Houses (post-timeskip))​
Noah & Mio
(Xenoblade Chronicles 3)​
Samus & Captain Falcon
(Metroid Dread / F-ZERO: GP Legend)​
Zelda & Impa
(The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom / The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)​
Kite & MegaMan.EXE
(.hack / Mega Man: Battle Network)​
Chun-Li & Aigis
(Street Fighter VI / Persona 3)​
Pit & Bayonetta
(Kid Icarus: Uprising / Bayonetta 2)​
KOS-MOS & Malos
(Xenosaga Ep. III / Xenoblade Chronicles 2)​
Sänger Zonvolt
(Super Robot Wars: Alpha Gaiden)​
Jin Kazama
(Tekken 8)​
Haruka Amami
(The iDOLM@STER)​
Solaire of Astora
(Dark Souls)​
Tarosuke
(Yokai Dochuki)​
Magilou
(Tales of Berseria)​
Hugo Pennywort
(God Eater 3)​
Valkyrie
(The Legend of Valkyrie)​
Kimberly
(Street Fighter VI)​
Demitri
(Darkstalkers)​
Strider Hiryu
(Strider)​
Rolento
(Final Fight)​
Edward Falcon
(Power Stone)​
Tessa
(Red Earth)​
Herlock Sholmes
(The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles)​
Ulala
(Space Channel 5: Part 3)​
Alis Landale
(Phantasy Star)​
Selvaria Bles
(Valkyria Chronicles)​
Sketch Turner
(Comix Zone)​
Raidou
(Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner)​
Floyd Iraia
(Streets of Rage 4)​
Gilius Thunderhead
(Golden Axe)​
Rodin
(Bayonetta 2)​
Claude von Riegan
(Fire Emblem: Three Houses (post-timeskip))​
Azura
(Fire Emblem Fates)​
Idea
(Soma Bringer)​
Palutena
(Kid Icarus: Uprising)​
Ghondor
(Xenoblade Chronicles 3)​
Takamaru
(The Mysterious Murasame Castle)​
Ayumi Tachibana
(Famicom Detective Club)​
Isaac
(Golden Sun: Dark Dawn)​
(* denotes those who join you later)
NamcoCapcomSEGANintendo
  • New villains
  • Saya
  • Sheath
  • Kazuya Mishima
  • Devil Jin*
  • Bryan Fury
  • Nightmare
  • DyGenGuar
  • Artorius
  • Queen's Knight
  • Tri-Edge
  • Vajra
  • JP
  • F.A.N.G.
  • Wild Daigo
  • Sigma
  • Sage Harpuia
  • Copy X
  • Bass.EXE
  • Jack Krauser
  • Tyrone King
  • B.B. Hood
  • Rolento*
  • Grandmaster Meio
  • Strider Hien
  • Valgas
  • Hauzer
  • Alistar
  • Yaksha
  • Dural
  • Mr. Y*
  • Ms. Y*
  • Ramirez
  • Akechi*
  • Master Joker
  • Dark Prince
  • Masked Lumen
  • Coco★Tapioca
  • Other★Tapioca
  • Glitter
  • Purge
  • Dark Falz
  • Selveria Bles*
  • Prince Maximilian
  • Mortus
  • Demi-Fiend
  • Death Adder
  • Edelgard*
  • Dimitri*
  • Consul N
  • Ghondor*
  • Malos*
  • Ridley
  • Dark Samus
  • Raven Beak
  • Black Shadow
  • Deathborn
  • Ganondorf
  • Ghirahim
  • Hades
  • Palutena*
  • Saturos
  • Menardi

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, how impactful do you think F-Zero 99 is? Not just in Smash representation but to the F-Zero franchise as a whole?

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
(Long-time no seeee)

I can't help but be fascinated by the dumpster fire that Nick Brawl's community has turned into over the possibility of cuts and whether Nintendo's observant enough to take any lessons from it.

They're likely not going to be in a situation as extreme as that (leaks suggest that almost half of the first game's roster is cut and the newcomers might not exceed the original roster size). It's completely overshadowed what should have been the hype cycle for genuine gameplay improvements.

But I think it underlines two things:
  1. Cuts are much harder in practice than they are on paper. If Nick started with the second roster it would be seen as a little weird, but fans would just be asking for the exclusions instead of upset by them. That in turn makes every WTF character even harder to justify.
  2. Setting expectations are everything in promotion. Smash could theoretically get away with replacing every post-Brawl newcomer, but not if they tried to do a traditional drip-feed reveal cycle. The denial and copium would be remembered more than "Waluigi is in" and reach even casuals.
Most people are aware that cuts are likely and are even bracing for large scale ones. If that's the case, Sakurai needs to rip the bandaid off and not be coy about it. To a large extent, the excitement of "EVERYONE IS hERE" was from the lack of potential cuts rather than the actual returning characters, since we've been lucky to have so few.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, how impactful do you think F-Zero 99 is? Not just in Smash representation but to the F-Zero franchise as a whole?
I think it was the best decision they could have made to get F-Zero into the hands of newcomers to the franchise. Something free with a service is going to have plenty of people try it out just because, even if they didn't have much interest in F-Zero beforehand. Sure, F-Zero GX would have been cool, but F-Zero 99 is better for the long term because now if they announce a new game or a remake, people who have only experienced F-Zero 99 might be more keen to get it.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Well I was having a blast playing it today. So far at least no trouble finding 99 racers on a dime, but of course it is still early.

Probably the best-case scenario is that this is some sort of test-drive for a potential new game, whether that be testing out the new developer, the online features, the remaining nostalgia for the brand, or a combination thereof.

Kind of hard to tell if that is the case, though. Still, F-Zero was a really interesting choice for a 99 game on the heels of much more widely known brands like Pac-Man.

So let's enjoy this game for as long as it's here and hope for the best.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think it was the best decision they could have made to get F-Zero into the hands of newcomers to the franchise. Something free with a service is going to have plenty of people try it out just because, even if they didn't have much interest in F-Zero beforehand. Sure, F-Zero GX would have been cool, but F-Zero 99 is better for the long term because now if they announce a new game or a remake, people who have only experienced F-Zero 99 might be more keen to get it.
Besides that, GX's campaign gets rough almost immediately, so this one is easier for players to get into. It's still tough, but not as ridiculous. That should easily help get more players.

GX is popular, but it wasn't for the overly tough campaign, just the other stuff to a bigger degree.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well, I'm enjoying it alot and assuming there's no COMs/Bots among the people I'm playing with, it feels quite packed. I've also been seeing quite a lot of praise from some of the notable reviewers and some more casual players playing the game. It also has the chance to get more popular if some of the big Youtubers do give it coverage and potentially like it, like Asmongold who's apparently a big fan of F-Zero and showed interest in F-Zero 99.
If a good amount of people are still playing it long after it's release, it could make Nintendo consider doing a new game or a remake of X or GX. I say one of the two because if people are enjoying the Battle Royale aspect it might be in Nintendo's best interest to add a Battle Royale mode or 99 player mode to a main F-Zero game.

As for Smash Bros. representation, I don't think F-Zero 99 will have any impact on Smash representation, especially when the characters themselves are hardly mentioned in 99. Casuals with general knowledge of Nintendo and/or Smash Bros. can easily connect Captain Falcon to the Blue Falcon and a few others could possibly connect Samurai Goroh to the Fire Stingray, but I doubt any newcomer or casual actually knows about Dr. Stewart piloting the Golden Fox or Pico piloting the Wild Goose.
I honestly don't think an F-Zero character will be considered until we get a new game or remake that gives an actual focus on the Pilots, like GX with it's Story mode and GP endings/character cinematics.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
whether Nintendo's observant enough to take any lessons from it.
I really doubt Nintendo gives a **** about any of their Smash "competitors". They seem to take lessons from other companies fairly rarely even when the other company is doing it better than they are, let alone when they stand basically unchallenged in the niche.

Well all things considered it is a pretty minor game. The significance arises primarily from it just bringing back a series many people wanted to return for so long, rather than it having some impact on Smash or something, which it likely won't in any notable terms.

But it was a very smart way to bring back an IP that Nintendo doesn't seem all that confident on. A low budget, free (sort of) game that harkens to a previous popular title, has a fairly low barrier for entry, and can be consumed quickly. I think its biggest impact will come from providing something Nintendo may very well be using to see if there's a future to go bigger with the series.

That and also its impact as the first original game NST has done in a very long time, and its success could also help launch them to bigger things as well.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Very interesting. What do you guys think of this revival?
Hey, if it means we've got another avenue for Nintendo to bring back more of their retro/obscure/niche IPs, I'm all for it! Especially in regards to stuff like Wave Race, 1080, and Panel de Pon/Puzzle League.

Honestly, I LOVE this roster! Personally, I'd go a bit more crazy with the Nintendo characters and add folks like Kyle Hyde, Ashley Mizuki Robbins, Sato Amatsubo, Jonathan Raimi, Naomi Moriha, and the like, but that's just me.

Pacack Pacack Please forgive me for the sudden tag, but did you ever post your roster analysis? I've been REALLY busy, so I haven't looked into S.B. for a couple of days now.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
To me what it signals is essentially that there is still interest in F-Zero at Nintendo, but there's still not much of an idea on what to do with the series and these smaller-scale projects are the way to go for now. So not much really
The thing about strikes me about the Source Gaming rosters, at least when it comes to SEGA (my area of expertise lol) is they all seem to, like, almost get it but not quite. Creaks' roster is a good example of this, he states in the vid that he's aware of the kind of stuff PxZ usually focuses on and the more Japanese lean it has, then he suddenly out of nowhere throws in pretty much the ultimate western-centric pick in the form of Eternal goddamn Champions??? And proceeds to not explain that at all? And that's not to mention the other rosters, which also fall in that camp of, like.....not being the worst rosters ever but just feeling off. Stuff like pairing two totally unrelated Phantasy Star characters, or throwing in characters like Centurion or Zobio and Zobiko who IMO just don't really feel right? The vibe I get is that at least a couple of these have more or less the right idea but aren't quite there yet

osby

Smash Obsessed
To me what it signals is essentially that there is still interest in F-Zero at Nintendo, but there's still not much of an idea on what to do with the series and these smaller-scale projects are the way to go for now. So not much really
F-Zero 99 feels less like they are not sure about which direction to take (though that also probably had a role) and more like they wanted to gauge how interested people are in the series + promote it to a wider/younger audience.

Like, all the memes about Captain Falcon being more recognized for Smash are not actually incorrect. Most people know F-Zero as the "that dead Nintendo franchise". This new game really made people talking about the series again and I think Nintendo would be a lot more comfortable allowing for a bigger budget game after this reception.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Personally I think it'll be a semi clone situation, moreso like Ness and Lucas in them being similar in body structures, weight, size and speed, but maybe as unique as Wolf is compared to Fox. I wish the exact same situation for both Dixie and Impa compared to Diddy and Sheik. However, in their cases I'd compare them more to Young Link and Toon Link, Diddy and Sheik being the faster, more agile and fast falling compared to the safer, slightly slower and more floaty Dixie and Impa.

F Zero 99 is definitely them testing the waters. I do think Mario Kart 8 helped a lot too with the courses of Mute City and Big Blue.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
F-Zero 99 feels less like they are not sure about which direction to take (though that also probably had a role) and more like they wanted to gauge how interested people are in the series + promote it to a wider/younger audience.

Like, all the memes about Captain Falcon being more recognized for Smash are not actually incorrect. Most people know F-Zero as the "that dead Nintendo franchise". This new game really made people talking about the series again and I think Nintendo would be a lot more comfortable allowing for a bigger budget game after this reception.
That's definitely a part of it too

Top Bottom