• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
my take on 3rd party chances for Smash 6 below:
:ultsonic:: I don't see getting cut going forward
:ultsnake:: Could happen again due to relationship between Kojima and Konami if so then I think Bomberman would be next in line
:ultmegaman:: don't see getting cut; possible swap with another Rockman (X, EXE, Volnutt, or Starforce) but not likely
:ultpacman:: don't see getting cut as long as Namco's Smash developer; even if Smash was developed by another studio Pac-Man should be safe
:ultryu:: don't see getting cut going forward. in fact I think he's as safe as Mega Man. He is the posterboy for the genre Smash spun off from.
No Ryu/SF = no KOF = no Smash

:ultken:: could see him not making it back if so does his "spot" go to another Capcom rep, SF rep, echo, etc.?
:ultcloud:: I think he's the likeliest of the 3 SE reps so far to return.
:ultbayonetta:: she seems to be safe unless internally she's in direct competition with Astral Chain due to them both being Platinum Games/Nintendo.
:ultsimon: : could see him returning. I think all current 3rd parties will have at least one rep going forward unless a professional breakdown happens with Nintendo. Also doesn't seem to have the ownership issues Snake has.
:ultrichter:: 50/50 depends on if Sakurai wants to continue branding Echo fighters.
:ultjoker:: don't know i'm leaning on him returning.
:ulthero:: i feel not all three SE reps will return and yet despite DQ's popularity in Japan I feel he's the 2nd most likely to return.
:ultbanjokazooie:: interestingly enough i have a feeling they won't make it back.
:ult_terry:: theoretically should be safe unless they want to rotate the SNK rep (if there's only one) to Marco or Nakoruru. If SNK gains more than 1 rep he's safe.
:ultsteve:: I think he's more likely to return than Banjo
:ultsephiroth:: I don't think he'll return.
:ultkazuya:: I think he'll make it back alongside Pac-Man. Then again Jin might have an outside shot of replacing him. Ever since Sakurai mentioned why Heihachi didn't make it in I wonder if Jin was considered for Ultimate since he inherited the Devil Gene.
:ultsora:: I could be wrong but I don't think he'll return.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
my take on 3rd party chances for Smash 6 below:
:ultsnake:: Could happen again due to relationship between Kojima and Konami if so then I think Bomberman would be next in line
I think Bomberman is next in line too, but Kojima isn't involved with Smash or Metal Gear anymore, it's not like we're gonna get Death Stranding content.

:ultbayonetta:: she seems to be safe unless internally she's in direct competition with Astral Chain due to them both being Platinum Games/Nintendo.
That's not really how it works; Astral Chain is first-party, Bayo is third. Platinum created both, but doesn't own either.

Not in competition any more than K. Rool and Banjo were.

:ult_terry:: theoretically should be safe unless they want to rotate the SNK rep (if there's only one) to Marco or Nakoruru.
I guess this is true but cutting the character to replace him with a less prolific one would be rather strange.

:ultsora:: I could be wrong but I don't think he'll return.
You didn't list reasoning, but one I hear frequently is because of how difficult he was to obtain. If that's it, it seems to be overlooked that the hardest part of acquiring him is done. There's already a version of the character in Smash approved by all involved parties.

With another in the works.

Which is probably a good excuse to make Erdrick the main Hero alt next time.
Better hope DQ12 isn't ready by the next Smash.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Very interesting. What do you guys think of this revival?

Stratos

Smash Lord
Nah I expect Star Wars would be next to crossover with kingdom hearts there is still a lot of Disney franchise left kingdom hearts could crossover with
The truth is, I'm waiting for Star Wars and Marvel characters as well as for Disney to rethink and add Oswald the Lucky Rabbit to the Kingdom Hearts series.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Oh, so Akira/Arika/whoever did Tetris 99, Pac-Man 99 and Super Mario Bros. 35, isn't doing F-Zero 99? I mean, after not seeing them for a long time, it's cool to see them making games again and the MvDK remake looks promising.
Here's hoping they do good. I'm all for the possibility of either a new 1080 or even a remake of 1080 Snowboarding or Avalanche. Or a remake of Wave Race Blue Storm.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

If it means more old franchises coming back, that sounds pretty good to me.

dream1ng

Smash Champion

I'm happy for them, Project HAMMER really seemed to obliterate them for a while. I am also just so thrilled to have another studio we can add to the "maybe they're making F-Zero/Star Fox/[specific IP you want]" rotation. F-Zero especially, probably.

This is also probably a microcosm of Nintendo spending the success of this gen on expanding themselves internally to be able to up their output, and it'll be exciting to see how that transpires in other studios as well, though the effects may not be as profound as basically reviving a studio.

For instance, it will also be interesting to see the effects of iQue's (Nintendo's Chinese subsidiary) incipient foray into game development. Though that may just be EPD/misc support for a while, like NST.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

sounds like good news for snowboarding fans

Stratos

Smash Lord

To tell the truth, I had forgotten about the Project H.A.M.M.E.R. you mentioned, earlier there was also Star Fox 2 which was canceled for SNES in August 1995, but they brought it through Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (in Japan known as Super Nintendo Entertainment System Classic Edition) after 22 years. I'm wondering if other canceled Nintendo games like Project H.A.M.M.E.R. or even earlier games, is there a chance they will be released in the future even through Nintendo Online on some future Nintendo console? As for Star Fox 2, it's out on Nintendo Switch Online now.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

For context, Project H.A.M.M.E.R. was a HUGE mess, one of the biggest in Nintendo's history maybe. The fact that they're essentially being revived after what went down says quite a lot about how things have changed since then.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
F Zero 99 is probably the most fun ive ever had with this IP.

I guess it just hits different when all the racers in a race are human players.

Stratos

Smash Lord
I have never played any F-Zero games, but the last two games that were released F-Zero: GP Legend (video game version) and F-Zero Climax were based on the F-Zero anime series, in other words two alternate universes, the prototype and the one based on the F-Zero anime series. With F-Zero 99, the remake of the first F-Zero game, is there a chance that the F-Zero series will be revived?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For context, Project H.A.M.M.E.R. was a HUGE mess, one of the biggest in Nintendo's history maybe. The fact that they're essentially being revived after what went down says quite a lot about how things have changed since then.
part of that mess being they shifted the games tone before shut down

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I was inspired by Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei 's rating list for how safe he perceived each vet to be, so I decided to do one of my own:
(The board is not being friendly with images right now, so I'll just type my list instead)
S+ (100%): :ultmario: :ultdk: :ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultinkling:
S (95%-99%): :ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultpit::ultwario::ultdiddy:
S- (90%-94%): :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultbayonetta:

A+ (85%-89%)::ultganondorf::ultgnw::ultike::ultcharizard::ultkingdedede:
A (80%-84%): :ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultmetaknight::ultlucario::ultrob::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultjoker::ult_terry::ultkazuya:
A- (75%-79%): :ultmewtwo::ultsnake::ultpokemontrainer::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultridley::ultsimon::ultbanjokazooie::ultbyleth::ultsteve:

B+ (70%-74%): :ultjigglypuff::ultfalco::ulttoonlink::ultrosalina::ultgreninja::ultrobin::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultpyra:
B (65%-69%): :ultzss::ultpalutena::ultcloud::ultrichter::ultken:
B- (60%-64%): :ultwiifittrainer::ultminmin

C+ (51%-59%): :ultdoc::ultyounglink::ultroy::ultlucas::ultwolf::ultchrom:
C (50%): :ulthero::ultsora:
C- (<50%): :ultpichu::ultcorrin::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultsephiroth:

The placement of a lot of these characters is definitely subject to change when we start getting some concrete details about what the next Smash's roster is going to look like. For example, if Toon Link is confirmed, then Young Link drops to a C- and vice versa. Charizard's placement also factors in the inclusion of either Solozard or Pokemon Trainer. I didn't do this for Squirtle or Ivysaur because I highly doubt that Solotle or Solosaur will happen.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I was inspired by Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei 's rating list for how safe he perceived each vet to be, so I decided to do one of my own:
(The board is not being friendly with images right now, so I'll just type my list instead)
S+ (100%): :ultmario: :ultdk: :ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultinkling:
S (95%-99%): :ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultpit::ultwario::ultdiddy:
S- (90%-94%): :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultbayonetta:

A+ (85%-89%)::ultganondorf::ultgnw::ultike::ultcharizard::ultkingdedede:
A (80%-84%): :ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultmetaknight::ultlucario::ultrob::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultjoker::ult_terry::ultkazuya:
A- (75%-79%): :ultmewtwo::ultsnake::ultpokemontrainer::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultridley::ultsimon::ultbanjokazooie::ultbyleth::ultsteve:

B+ (70%-74%): :ultjigglypuff::ultfalco::ulttoonlink::ultrosalina::ultgreninja::ultrobin::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultpyra:
B (65%-69%): :ultzss::ultpalutena::ultcloud::ultrichter::ultken:
B- (60%-64%): :ultwiifittrainer::ultminmin

C+ (51%-59%): :ultdoc::ultyounglink::ultroy::ultlucas::ultwolf::ultchrom:
C (50%): :ulthero::ultsora:
C- (<50%): :ultpichu::ultcorrin::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultsephiroth:

The placement of a lot of these characters is definitely subject to change when we start getting some concrete details about what the next Smash's roster is going to look like. For example, if Toon Link is confirmed, then Young Link drops to a C- and vice versa. Charizard's placement also factors in the inclusion of either Solozard or Pokemon Trainer. I didn't do this for Squirtle or Ivysaur because I highly doubt that Solotle or Solosaur will happen.
idk, i think Ritchter is as likely to come back as Simon, they did say that the two of them wer made together and built off each other, so i think it would be kinda redundant to cut one but not the other.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
idk, i think Ritchter is as likely to come back as Simon, they did say that the two of them wer made together and built off each other, so i think it would be kinda redundant to cut one but not the other.
Richter's placement below Simon is really just in case they do something weird like say "**** it, echoes aren't worth the hassle" and just cut all them, which probably won't happen. Still, I wanted to account for that chance.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
They could merge them and add more Belmonts. Other than that I don’t see Richter getting cut.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Richter probably isn’t getting cut he literally is getting his own anime soon but if anything he could receive some new moves based on how will he fight in the anime
I also imagine they'd record new voice lines with his netflix actor.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
To tell the truth, I had forgotten about the Project H.A.M.M.E.R. you mentioned, earlier there was also Star Fox 2 which was canceled for SNES in August 1995, but they brought it through Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (in Japan known as Super Nintendo Entertainment System Classic Edition) after 22 years. I'm wondering if other canceled Nintendo games like Project H.A.M.M.E.R. or even earlier games, is there a chance they will be released in the future even through Nintendo Online on some future Nintendo console? As for Star Fox 2, it's out on Nintendo Switch Online now.
Well Star Fox 2 was basically finished, and was more or less just sat on indefinitely. I'd love to see what Project HAMMER looked like at other various stages of development, but I don't think it got close to a state ready for release.

I think they were closer with Retro's cancelled game. That I'd love to know more about. And I suspect we will, one day.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well Star Fox 2 was basically finished, and was more or less just sat on indefinitely. I'd love to see what Project HAMMER looked like at other various stages of development, but I don't think it got close to a state ready for release.

I think they were closer with Retro's cancelled game. That I'd love to know more about. And I suspect we will, one day.
well I heard they cutesyfied it

Stratos

Smash Lord
If Project H.A.M.M.E.R. had not been cancelled, we might have seen the protagonist as a newcomer in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U or in some other future game in the series. I would also like to see what name they would give him, although according to sources from the 2020 or 2021 Nintendo Gigaleak it was also revealed as "Hammer Man" as a title internally as I read on Wikipedia at the end of Project H.A.M.M.E.R.'s "History", so it would perhaps be that name of the protagonist, or he might have (which is certain) his real name.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
well I heard they cutesyfied it
Yes and although I guess something is better than nothing, I think I would've been disappointed by when they had to make that stylistic change, given Nintendo has almost no series that take the aesthetic the game was originally going for, so it would've contributed some variety.

If Project H.A.M.M.E.R. had not been cancelled, we might have seen the protagonist as a newcomer in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U or in some other future game in the series. I would also like to see what name they would give him, although according to sources from the 2020 or 2021 Nintendo Gigaleak it was also revealed as "Hammer Man" as a title internally as I read on Wikipedia at the end of Project H.A.M.M.E.R.'s "History", so it would perhaps be that name of the protagonist, or he might have (which is certain) his real name.
Well he was the Main Character of Project HAMMER. So...

Probably MC Hammer.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes and although I guess something is better than nothing, I think I would've been disappointed by when they had to make that stylistic change, given Nintendo has almost no series that take the aesthetic the game was originally going for, so it would've contributed some variety.
personally I’d have found it funny

Top Bottom