• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I mean, that's a no-brainer. We don't need a 3rd ****ing shoto from SF.
I want Kirby with a red topknot, crazy eyebrows, and glowing eyes. I would rather sacrifice an unique character so I can get my Akuma-Kirby.

My roster preferences are sometimes almost always affected by Kirby versions.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Idk. Tifa is one of favorite party members but as a rep ehhh. I've have to go with Gengar and say Vincent would be a better rep. His design and moves do it for me

See this is things get complicated, FF7 is the Final Fantasy i've played and interests me the most compared to other except 13 and probably 9. That, Smash 4 and Kingdom Hearts, i have more connection with FF7 crew than any other in the series but i feel other fans in the series somewhat that just focusing with 7 is bit limiting and fair as whole. Especially when 7 is one that gets most spotlight compared to rest.

Sephiroth was a great addition and more villains, the merrier but idk. I have played SSF2 and their addition of Black Mage had got me interest in seeing him as a rep. Especially as rep originates from the Final Fantasies that come from Nintendo consoles result Nintendo ties already.
We dont really need more FF7 content tbh.

We have 2 characters and technically 3 stages for Cloud we dont need more.

(Hollow bastion is a city in the Kingdom hearts version of FF7's world, so it has more of a connection to the FF7 party than it does to Sora)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We dont really need more FF7 content tbh.

We have 2 characters and technically 3 stages for Cloud we dont need more.

(Hollow bastion is a city in the Kingdom hearts version of FF7's world, so it has more of a connection to the FF7 party than it does to Sora)
that’s a rather warped view, there’s far more original characters from that world than FF7 characters

Gengar84

Smash Hero
that’s a rather warped view, there’s far more original characters from that world than FF7 characters
I thought Holow Bastion was all FFVII characters in the first game. Tidus and Wakka were Destiny Islands and Squall (Leon) was Traverse Town. I might be forgetting someone from HB though.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I thought Holow Bastion was all FFVII characters in the first game. Tidus and Wakka were Destiny Islands and Squall (Leon) was Traverse Town. I might be forgetting someone from HB though.
Squall was also from Hollow Bastion, i think he's the only one who wasnt from 7?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Squall was also from Hollow Bastion, i think he's the only one who wasnt from 7?
Hmmm weird that I only really remember his scenes from Traverse Town. It’s been a long time since I played KH1 so my memory is admittedly fuzzy (I think I got too close to Sin).

Or Kirby gaining a yellow mask and black hood and throwing a spear from his hand and saying “GET OVER HERE!”
That’s the one area I’m willing to concede that I’d prefer Scorpion to Sub-Zero.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmmm weird that I only really remember his scenes from Traverse Town. It’s been a long time since I played KH1 so my memory is admittedly fuzzy (I think I got too close to Sin).
and then in subsequent games more and more were revealed to be from there. I mean if you’re going solely by 1 then it feels daft to include cloud cause he’s only shown there during the credits. for most of the game it’s the base of maleficent and co

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The Wii was 15 in 2021, the console is now 17 years old, so it counts
Sorry for repeating this, by the time Smash 6 is released, the 3DS will be Retro.
3DS will be retro? Then… the Wandering Heroes from StreetPass Mii Plaza: Find Mii I & II could be retro! :awesome:

People have always wanted a magic based Mii Fighter. Well, the Wandering Heroes are capable of magic.

Wandering Heroes would be a fourth customizable fighter like the Mii Fighters.

You customize the head (cat, dog, bunny, or human) and you select the shirt color (red, orange, yellow, light green, green, light blue, blue, purple, pink, brown, white, and black).

Wandering Heroes have the same normal moves (sword and shield) but they have 12 sets of special moves (magic).

The type of magic is determined by the color of your Wandering Hero’s shirt. The special moves are based on StreetPass Mii Plaza games like Find Mii, Puzzle Swap, Mii Force, and more.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Urban Champion, Balloon Fight, Excitebike, Clu Clu Land, Mach Rider, Pinball, Pro Wrestling, Kung Fu, and more if I can think of something.

View attachment 376689
Just a small nitpick but Kung Fu, even though the NES conversion was made by Nintendo, is technically a third-party game so I'm not sure it'd fly in this hypothetical concept

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Just a small nitpick but Kung Fu, even though the NES conversion was made by Nintendo, is technically a third-party game so I'm not sure it'd fly in this hypothetical concept
For matters worse, it is based on the Japanese dub of a Jackie Chan film.
At least people need to be more creative, like asking for Jackie Chan from Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu for the Nintendo Entertainment System and NEC TurboGrafx-16 lol. :4pacman:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I want Kirby with a red topknot, crazy eyebrows, and glowing eyes. I would rather sacrifice an unique character so I can get my Akuma-Kirby.

My roster preferences are sometimes almost always affected by Kirby versions.
Okay, like, imagine Kirby absorbing Agumon and then yelling out "Pepper bweath!" afterwards.
Or Kirby gaining a yellow mask and black hood and throwing a spear from his hand and saying “GET OVER HERE!”
New criteria for Smash picks: will they make Kirby cute?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Do we think the Miis will be discontinued next gen, and if so, will they be replaced with a new customizable avatar system that still works well with Smash? Or, even if the potential Mii successors would work in Smash, would the new designs likely necessitate some tweaks to the existing Mii movesets?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here's a character that I think is pretty slept on (at least for a DLC pick):

Seriously, her moveset is basically tailored perfectly for Smash.
I’m going to quote what I said earlier:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a rumor that Terry would come with two other SNK characters as something of a team? If that was the case and an SNK Challenger Pack came with three fighters, which three characters would you pick? You could pick team strictly from King of Fighters, or pick any three characters from across SNK.

My picks would be Terry, Iori and Nakoruru purely for their popularity as well as being part of SNK's three most well-known fighting games (Fatal Fury, the one that started it all for SNK's pixelated pugilism; King of Fighters, the culmination of the groundwork laid by Fatal Fury, as well as a celebration of SNK in general; and Samurai Shodown, the weapon-based fighting game that preceded even Soul Edge).

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Here's a character that I think is pretty slept on (at least for a DLC pick):

Seriously, her moveset is basically tailored perfectly for Smash.
How would they handle her music list?

Since Samurai showdown is listed under Fatal fury in smash.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
How would they handle her music list?

Since Samurai showdown is listed under Fatal fury in smash.
Presumably, they would either split Samurai Showdown from Fatal Fury/King of Fighters (and presumably Metal Slug) or they'd just allow you to play any SNK song on both of the SNK stages.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I saw talk of ArcSys earlier and I think Sol and Ragna would be awesome in Smash Bros. Mainly due to their Music sure, but still both Series are peak and Sol is easily my Most Wanted Third Party.
I want an instrumental of Smell of the game.
Because the vocal version would easily raise the age rating quiet a bit.

I have never played Guilty gear i just like the music.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think people would accept just about anyone and it'll work. Street fighters cast just has so many memorable characters to work with.

You got Chun Li, the first lady of the fighting game genre.
Akuma, the legendary final boss.
Sakura the most popular street fighter (according to popularity polls circa street fighter 5)

Im sure people would be fine with any of them, albeit the latter two would be semi clones of Ryu/Ken.
Honestly, I'm STILL a little bit thrown off by Chun-Li not making it into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, honestly. I get that they were working with limited resources, and I guess I should be glad she wasn't relegated to an AT character, but still...

All that said, I'd be more than fine with either her or Sakura joining Smash. Say what you will about Sakura, but I feel like Smash Bros. is right up her alley.

Since a lot of you guys want playable FF characters that aren't from FF7, would you guys be upset if Tifa got in? I know Terra, Cecil or Zidane would be cool, but i think Tifa would make sense as a playable character, she's probably one (if not the most) iconic female JRPG characters, plus she's badass.
Personally, I'd LOVE to have Tifa in Smash. In fact, I'd be really weirded out if any other FF7 character got into Smash before her, if I'm being honest.

Urban Champion, Balloon Fight, Excitebike, Clu Clu Land, Mach Rider, Pinball, Pro Wrestling, Kung Fu, and more if I can think of something.

View attachment 376689
Okay, I think I'm even MORE in love with this concept than I was before! I have to admit, it WOULD be interesting to have NES Remix 'switch out' in a way where Urban Champ, Excitebiker, Bubbles, Foreman Spike, a Wild Gunman, DK Jr., Mr. Stevenson, Professor Hector, Professor Vector, Thomas, Mach Rider, Fighter Hayabusa, Balloon Fighter, Volleyball Girl, the Baseball players, the Soccer players, the Ice Hockey trio, etc. could all 'take turns' being the "main character" of NES Remix.

Do we think the Miis will be discontinued next gen, and if so, will they be replaced with a new customizable avatar system that still works well with Smash? Or, even if the potential Mii successors would work in Smash, would the new designs likely necessitate some tweaks to the existing Mii movesets?
Not going to lie, I've legit been of the belief that if/when Miis are cut from Smash, it'll be SPECIFICALLY the Miis themselves that get removed from Smash, resulting in the Nintendo Switch Sports avatars taking their place going forward.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Not going to lie, I've legit been of the belief that if/when Miis are cut from Smash, it'll be SPECIFICALLY the Miis themselves that get removed from Smash, resulting in the Nintendo Switch Sports avatars taking their place going forward.
It is possible that the Switch Sports avatars would be continued as the nextgen Miis. Or they could end up as one-offs if Nintendo decides to do something completely new. After all, it would be kind of awkward (though still possible) to debut your avatars for the next system within a game for the old system, and before the new system is revealed.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It is possible that the Switch Sports avatars would be continued as the nextgen Miis. Or they could end up as one-offs if Nintendo decides to do something completely new. After all, it would be kind of awkward (though still possible) to debut your avatars for the next system within a game for the old system, and before the new system is revealed.
I certainly wouldn't be all too surprised if that just happens to be the case going forward.

All of that being said, maybe Nintendo Switch Sports is meant to be a sort of 'sneak preview'/"test run" to see how that game's avatars test with audiences?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One thing to note is the Mii Fighters are treated as as actual Smash OC's more or less, so replacing them really don't work that well. They serve a unique purpose that only works because the costumes are created with their bodyshapes in mind.

It'd require a huge amount of work to revamp all the costumes to maintain the same idea. It's just easier to bring them back at this point. Whoever the new avatars are, they could still have their own unique thing, like actually being used based upon the games they're in, instead of being like how Miis are adapted to the actual games in comparison. It's really the core reason they're a Smash OC specifically, since they're adapted to a Smash Original moveset. Obviously they could've just as easily made a regular Mii(who show up as NPC's in the Find Mii stage) focused on the Wii Sports series too. Though the new avatar could do something similar(as well as still be uploadable to match your avatar character like Smash 4 and Ultimate does). Just not with the unique costume or custom move mechanic, making it stand out quite a bit. Or even have its own completely different set of costumes if they wanted.

But yeah, overall, unless they entirely want to get rid of the custom character mechanic, there's no real reason to cut them. Not every costume might come back if licensing doesn't work out, though.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
One thing to note is the Mii Fighters are treated as as actual Smash OC's more or less, so replacing them really don't work that well. They serve a unique purpose that only works because the costumes are created with their bodyshapes in mind.

It'd require a huge amount of work to revamp all the costumes to maintain the same idea. It's just easier to bring them back at this point. Whoever the new avatars are, they could still have their own unique thing, like actually being used based upon the games they're in, instead of being like how Miis are adapted to the actual games in comparison. It's really the core reason they're a Smash OC specifically, since they're adapted to a Smash Original moveset. Obviously they could've just as easily made a regular Mii(who show up as NPC's in the Find Mii stage) focused on the Wii Sports series too. Though the new avatar could do something similar(as well as still be uploadable to match your avatar character like Smash 4 and Ultimate does). Just not with the unique costume or custom move mechanic, making it stand out quite a bit. Or even have its own completely different set of costumes if they wanted.

But yeah, overall, unless they entirely want to get rid of the custom character mechanic, there's no real reason to cut them. Not every costume might come back if licensing doesn't work out, though.
In the hypothetical situation where the Sportsmates completely replace Miis as the next console’s built-in avatars, they could probably just completely take over the Smash OC roles of Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner with minimal modification, since the only inherent difference between them and Miis is the way their heads are designed. They’d have to adjust the hats to fit their heads, and they’d have to change the way skin coloration works if the console fully supports the non-human player models (squirrel, robot, ect.) but that’s about it.

However, if they really want to keep Miis (especially if the next console has no avatars whatsoever,) they could design a custom Mii Maker just for Smash. Nintendo has occasionally made custom Mii Makers for games in the past, such as Tomodachi Collection (since the DS doesn’t have its own Mii Maker,) and Tomodachi Life and Miitopia 3DS (since the 3DS doesn’t otherwise support making Miis while a game is running, unlike the Switch.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In the hypothetical situation where the Sportsmates completely replace Miis as the next console’s built-in avatars, they could probably just completely take over the Smash OC roles of Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner with minimal modification, since the only inherent difference between them and Miis is the way their heads are designed. They’d have to adjust the hats to fit their heads, and they’d have to change the way skin coloration works if the console fully supports the non-human player models (squirrel, robot, ect.) but that’s about it.

However, if they really want to keep Miis (especially if the next console has no avatars whatsoever,) they could design a custom Mii Maker just for Smash. Nintendo has occasionally made custom Mii Makers for games in the past, such as Tomodachi Collection (since the DS doesn’t have its own Mii Maker,) and Tomodachi Life and Miitopia 3DS (since the 3DS doesn’t otherwise support making Miis while a game is running, unlike the Switch.)
It'd require a lot of work to do just what you said, mind you. That's not an easy adjustment at all. Model changing requires a lot of work, and that's for over 20 different models. So it's a lot of work for barely any payoff as the Sportsmates don't have a lot to their name. This isn't like changing Link to his latest design. They're completely different characters only sharing a minorly similar concept. They also aren't even used much nor have much legacy to justify them replacing a unique character. They still have potential for a unique character(and they actually are about Sports, but that also means they're a completely different niche from the MIis, who could do anything). Though I honestly don't remember the Sportsmates appearing much even then, or being the actual Switch normal avatars? Being I've barely touched my Switch recently, I legitimately don't know.

That said, that's a pretty good idea to help them be more fun to use in Smash. Just let you adjust it in-game instead of having to go entirely out of the game to do so. That was honestly a huge pain in Smash 4.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think we'll see Sportmates replace Miis until they appear in literally anything but a sports game.

Miis fit into the role of Smash-original fighters because they starred and appeared in a variety of genres, and are meant to be the players' avatars regardless of the genre. Sportmates are just avatars in a sports game - I think it'd be weird if they suddenly started using swords and beam guns for no reason.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I don’t see Miis being cut because Mii costumes do print a lot of money
But if Miis get cut I think at least Mii fighter should be represented by Matt he is a recognizable Mii character

I mean, that's a no-brainer. We don't need a 3rd ****ing shoto from SF.
That’s why I do prefer Darkstalkers rep if there is another street fighter rep in smash I would prefer Gill he is very unique and use both fire and ice in his moveset

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I hope not. Mii are those few aspects that make Nintendo unique and are heck of a lot more interesting than Sportsmates. Ik Nintendo is going through changes but they don't have discared everything good.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
While I don’t personally care for them, I don’t think Miis are going anywhere, nor should they. The Mii costume DLC is too popular and gives a lot of characters some type of representation in Smash that they otherwise wouldn’t get. I think I’d be happier if we got something closer to the deluxe Miis like Vault Boy where they replace the whole head rather than just give us a wig or hat and the character looks like a Mii in cosplay. Basically, I really like the idea of a create a character and representing as many franchises and characters as possible but I just don’t really care for what the Miis look like visually.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While I don’t personally care for them, I don’t think Miis are going anywhere, nor should they. The Mii costume DLC is too popular and gives a lot of characters some type of representation in Smash that they otherwise wouldn’t get. I think I’d be happier if we got something closer to the deluxe Miis like Vault Boy where they replace the whole head rather than just give us a wig or hat and the character looks like a Mii in cosplay. Basically, I really like the idea of a create a character and representing as many franchises and characters as possible but I just don’t really care for what the Miis look like visually.
personally I prefer it when it looks like the miis are cosplaying. though I’m still feel slightly surprised about vault boy being a costume

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Don't get me wrong, I love Miis. But their designs are admittedly showing some age. Again, don't get me wrong, I still like their designs myself but I could easily see some folks in the marketing department recommending a replacement on the next system.

I'm not saying it's likely, but what I think would be a good outcome is a scenario where the new avatars take over the "customizable Smash-specific moveset" role and the Miis get made into a separate 1-character moveset that actually represents their game appearances like potentially Wii Sports, Pilotwings Resort, Tomodachi Life, Find Mii, etc. etc.
Not saying it would be easy to do, but (1) I've been longing for a legit Mii moveset like this, and (2) a new spin on the custom movesets could be one way to differentiate the next Smash from Ultimate, even if it means losing the old Mii movesets.

In addition to the above, I've long wondered if there would be a satisfactory way to streamline the custom movesets so that it's not 3 separate fighters but rather 1 single fighter. Each move could still have variants that could make use of melee/projectile weapons. The idea is that you'd lose a little bit in terms of breadth of options in exchange for a lot less dev time (at least in theory; I could see this being very tricky to balance, for example).

Last edited:
Top Bottom