• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Stratos

Smash Ace
Dig Dug (Taizo Hori), the protagonist of the game of the same name, as we all saw changed his appearance in Namco × Capcom and seemed to be from a slightly more mature game. Maybe if they finally decide to make a Project X Zone 3 they put cartoony looking video game characters and change their appearance? That is, to make them appear there for a more mature audience?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Something brought up last page; a Mii Staff Fighter(which partially is about magic) does actually sound outright unique as a design. Albeit, we have no straight-out staff fighters, and barely some wand users, but you can definitely make something work from that perspective. ...Mii Ninja however is a much bigger stretch as it's not a very different weapon in practice and is putting way too much work. It's still a Swordfighter in reality. It just has some different animations. Also, keep in mind we don't exactly have a Ninja Swordcharacter at all either, so it's much harder to even use said weapon. Being more based upon Sheik/Greninja does make sense, though it would be a clear offshoot of Brawler in that case. And yeah, the lack of Ninja Hoods is bleh. Though we kind of have something with the Yiga Clan costume, who are ninjas.

And no, Sakurai does not do constant aesthetic things for the sake of it. It wouldn't actually be a benefit at all to make weird secondary costumes for Mii Gunner when it requires a massive amount of extra work(as you need to completely change up a costume first. This isn't like adding a quick alt like Meta Ridley to Ridley. That actually has benefit as it's, while still hard, an actual iconic form. Doing weird costume changes is a waste of time when they function perfectly fine). It makes more sense at that point to just do a completely different playstyle(the Staff Fighter) instead. Reworking any costume entirely isn't just an aesthetic change, it's a huge amount of work for little benefit. That, and regular Magic Users are Gunners oftentimes in practice, being about Zoning. Staff Users barely exist(the closest is Palutena, and only for a few moves).

Just a small nitpick but Kung Fu, even though the NES conversion was made by Nintendo, is technically a third-party game so I'm not sure it'd fly in this hypothetical concept
If it's based upon licensed characters completely, it's 3rd party. If it's a loose adaption, it may be 1st party if Nintendo actually owns the new characters. There's no technicalities to really go at it. Nintendo owns the IP or not.

Crossovers do have technicalities but trying to call it a 1st party or 3rd party game is illogical context-wise. They are either a 1st party game with 3rd party content or just a 3rd party game, basically. (But that's cause 2nd party isn't a real thing anyway).

The context for the person making the NES thing is depends how much 3rd party is allowed, of course. In terms of Smash itself, if Nintendo doesn't own the IP, it's just a regular old 3rd party. Which of course means if they were to want to put it in, they'd just license it like any other 3rd party with no real differences. The kicker is that since it'd not be from a game, they're unlikely to do so with extremely small caveats for references(I.E. the few times non-game Disney content has had mention or references in Smash. This seems like the only cases to expect. Though to be fair, we did have Goldeneye content in 64 and Melee, bar the Japanese Melee. The Motion-Sensor Bomb is pretty much the Proximity Mine, even more accurately being the named for the Trophy in the PAL version. They did change this since Brawl, implying they don't want more than straight references usually, so I don't see non-game content appearing as likely at all).

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Small thing, but it’d be cool if certain Mii costumes (mainly ones based on specific characters probably) had custom models for the Miis’ projectiles. Like, Bomberman would change Shot Put to look like a bomb, Goemon would change Shuriken of Light to look like a coin, etc. It wouldn’t functionally alter the Miis’ movesets but it’d make them feel just that tiny bit more accurate.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Somedays I wish Zippo was a legit leaker. With how much I see them pop up, it'd at least make things interesting...

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

Somedays I wish Zippo was a legit leaker. With how much I see them pop up, it'd at least make things interesting...
The GameCube remaster in question:
51X3JW7Y0EL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

/j

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

went right with the obvious stuff

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Ah, yes, I was going to initiate discussion about a potential September Direct. But got sidetracked by other topics.

So, what are our thoughts on a September Direct? History says we should probably get something.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
September Directs are the most reliable (outside the pandemic year) so I have little doubt its coming. Guessing there might be a remaster focus: more details on Mario RPG, one of the remaining Wii U ports (Wind Waker/Twilight Princess/Xenoblade X) and an outside chance of GC re-releases. I don't think a new DK game is coming till the next system, so another Country title doesn't feel likely. I think Mario Sluggers might finally pop as its the last of the sports titles not to make a comeback on the Switch.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
People always bring this up because of an interview with the creator, but not only was he more specifically talking about more traditional fighters like Tekken (in fact I believe he said elsewhere he would like to see Kiryu in Smash), he's no longer at SEGA, so unless Sakurai went the extra mile of consulting the original creators, I don't think he'd have much of a say in the matter anymore.

Honestly it feels like we're always stuck in this cycle of "Kiryu in Smash is brought up -> person who has never played the games or read up on this stuff brings up the interview they heard about -> this is refuted by other people -> rinse and repeat". I don't want to be too harsh since you're new here and I imagine you probably didn't mean anything bad with this, but it does get a bit grating to see this constantly happen
Sorry, i just wnated to give my two cents, i wasn't aware this was a regular ocurrence.
I also wasn't aware of the guy not working at SEGA anymore and i forgot he was in PxZ2 as well, those two points make the interview irrelevant in terms of Smash for Kiryu.

And about the posible September Direct, i hope we get a new Fortune Street...we didn't get the last one that came out in 2017, the wii one was really fun.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Yet another instance of wasted potential:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel it is wasted potential... by not making an all new character to properly adopt those abilities. Link being the same weaponry character is good. It's just they kind of didn't improve him that much this way, which is more the problem. BOTW Zelda(with TOTK Zelda cues in the next game) would've been a great usage of it, or even Impa using that and her abilities from SS.

It was kind of nice that Link wasn't suddenly SS-ified. He felt right. He's still fine and all into Ultimate, but felt like they could've done better. That said, that didn't leave much when they weren't making a new character, so the current one works fine for its purpose. Sheik being clearly based upon the BOTW visuals were nice too.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Read my post on Social Thread for my wish. I don't need to explain it, too obvious for explain it.
I will keep my word and accomplish my promise.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Oh please, the last thing Smash Bros needs is another mii archetype that already requires more work than an average character, doesn't introduce a new character/series people actually enjoyed previously
Tell that to [insert every 3P franchise only represented by Miis].

We especially don't need one with even more niche application and less applicable characters to template over it.
Ah yes, the RPG wizard. Gaming only has, like, a couple hundred of those to pick from.

Then again, I do agree with preferring more new characters over expanded custom options.
Nobody actually cares about the OC aspect of Miis. They care about the franchises that get repped through them.

Mii Ninja however is a much bigger stretch as it's not a very different weapon in practice and is putting way too much work. It's still a Swordfighter in reality. It just has some different animations.
I think an important factor in making a Mii Ninja work is making it a short blade-based fighter.

Have the Swordfighter focus more on being the knight/warrior archetype, while the Ninja is more the agile thief/ninja/assassin archetype.

How much of a chance do you think Yakuza/Like a Dragon has of being included? It is a very successful Sega IP.
Probably pretty good. It's like, Sega's 2nd biggest franchise now.

I think the only thing really standing in it's way is licensing, remember a LOT of Yakuza characters are modeled after actual Japanese actors
None of the ones that really matter. Kiryu, Majima and Ichiban are all original.

The GameCube remaster in question:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel it is wasted potential... by not making an all new character to properly adopt those abilities. Link being the same weaponry character is good. It's just they kind of didn't improve him that much this way, which is more the problem. BOTW Zelda(with TOTK Zelda cues in the next game) would've been a great usage of it, or even Impa using that and her abilities from SS.

It was kind of nice that Link wasn't suddenly SS-ified. He felt right. He's still fine and all into Ultimate, but felt like they could've done better. That said, that didn't leave much when they weren't making a new character, so the current one works fine for its purpose. Sheik being clearly based upon the BOTW visuals were nice too.
Yeah Impa would be a nice character to represent the Sheikah Slate abilities with. Always said this. There's enough merrit to include the character. If only she wasn't so.. inactive in the latest big installments of Zelda, Botw and TotK. Then again there is still Age of Calamity, a great source material. But I said the same with the original Hyrule Warriors which I found the ideal base for current Zelda characters on the Smash roster as well, everyone but Link 😅 and even Link could've used some of the HW juice (read: steroids).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah Impa would be a nice character to represent the Sheikah Slate abilities with. Always said this. There's enough merrit to include the character. If only she wasn't so.. inactive in the latest big installments of Zelda, Botw and TotK. Then again there is still Age of Calamity, a great source material. But I said the same with the original Hyrule Warriors which I found the ideal base for current Zelda characters on the Smash roster as well, everyone but Link 😅 and even Link could've used some of the HW juice (read: steroids).
I would personally give Impa the design and moveset of her Hyrule Warriors appearance. Either her great sword or naginata movesets would work. The sword would give us another water elemental user, which we don’t have many of while the naginata would give us a primary polearm user, which we still don’t have beyond Byleth that uses one as one of four weapons.

As for the Sheikah Slate, minor Tears of the Kingdom spoilers:
I think either Zelda or Rauru would be the best to represent Sheikah Slate abilities. I think the way they could do this is by summoning one of the four champions for each special. Zelda would call upon the modern champions and Rauru would call the originals. Alternatively, they could just use those abilities themselves without having to summon. Of these, I think Rauru is the best option so we wouldn’t have to lose an existing moveset and would give us a completely original character.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Guys what do you think about the chances of a Tales of rep?
I personally think Lloyd would be cool (the only tales i've fully played), i've also played a bit of vesperia and berseria.
I haven't played Arise, but Alphen looks badass, so would be cool with him too.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I'm expecting a repeat of the 3DS from now on, ports and remasters from across nintendo's history to tide people over to the next console without too much effort.

I'd be surprised if we didn't get a remaster of Luigi's Mansion to go along with Dark Moon, and the Zelda games seem fairly likely obviously.

Beyond that I'm not really sure, maybe they'll release the 3D all-stars remasters as standalone games, with Galaxy 2 available as well?

I could see some third-parties doing this as well, although that might just be me hoping for an SMT IV remaster.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would've liked to see Luigi's Mansion get a new control variant for the Wii. If only cause it sounded interesting to me, a very clear ability to aim.

We've gotten some nice Switch remasters, though. I can't wait to see what's coming next(and we should find out soon~).

...Oh, yeah, Purah also would've made for a good Slate user. It's however a Sheikah Slate, so Impa was a reasonable choice(though as I noted, using SS for some abilities also would've been a good way to make her a magical ninja of sorts. HW is neat too. Though to say the least, nothing beats the Oracle version for me as the core design. Sure, her moveset would be built more around "she's done different things in different games", but she barely does much outside of HW to have a full moveset so it would've been a combination most likely anyway).

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Somewhat surprised actually that we didn't get Lloyd in Ult (although no third party character should ever be too expected given the large pool of candidates and the potential for negotiation issues), if only because there were so many DLC newcomer slots to go around and we saw other companies getting unprecedented numbers of reps. I guess they just decided to go with Tekken instead :/
Lloyd in particular has been popular among Smash/Nintendo fans for a long time while his game and its sequel were (at least for a short time) Nintendo-exclusive, so as someone who doesn't want a lot of third parties I kind of see him as one of the least-objectionable third party options.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly I'm expecting a repeat of the 3DS from now on, ports and remasters from across nintendo's history to tide people over to the next console without too much effort.

I'd be surprised if we didn't get a remaster of Luigi's Mansion to go along with Dark Moon, and the Zelda games seem fairly likely obviously.

Beyond that I'm not really sure, maybe they'll release the 3D all-stars remasters as standalone games, with Galaxy 2 available as well?

I could see some third-parties doing this as well, although that might just be me hoping for an SMT IV remaster.
Assuming the next piece of Nintendo hardware is backward compatible with the Switch, the recent focus on ports of legacy software outside of the consoles on NSO may also be in the interest of building a subscription service that can better compete with Game Pass and PlayStation Plus. I could easily see Nintendo releasing a "Nintendo Retro Collection" that gives you access to the pre-existing Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack service, HD remasters from the Gamecube, Wii, and 3DS, and possibly retro collections and rereleases from other publishers at a price point of, say, $120.00/year.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Somewhat surprised actually that we didn't get Lloyd in Ult (although no third party character should ever be too expected given the large pool of candidates and the potential for negotiation issues), if only because there were so many DLC newcomer slots to go around and we saw other companies getting unprecedented numbers of reps. I guess they just decided to go with Tekken instead :/
Lloyd in particular has been popular among Smash/Nintendo fans for a long time while his game and its sequel were (at least for a short time) Nintendo-exclusive, so as someone who doesn't really want a lot of third parties I kind of see him as one of the least-objectionable third party options.
It didn't help that Tekken was on Sakurai's radar since Smash 4, as Heihachi Mishima was planned as a DLC character but was scrapped and turned into a Mii Costume instead.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I personally think Lloyd would be cool (the only tales i've fully played), i've also played a bit of vesperia and berseria.
I haven't played Arise, but Alphen looks badass, so would be cool with him too.
I love the Tales series but I’ve never been a huge fan of Lloyd as a character. As far as main protagonists go, I’d love to see a duo character of Alphen and Shionne from Arise. Since Alphen requires Shionne to use his flame blade, the two make sense as a team and their movesets compliment each other really well. I also really like Velvet Crowe as a single character. Velvet has a really unique weapon and moveset and could be a lot of fun. Yuri Lowell is my next favorite. If he incorporated Repede into his moveset somehow, his gameplay could be really unique. There are a ton of secondary characters I’d love to see as well like Sheena, Rita, Alvin, or Zaveid but I don’t think they would make it in over one of the protagonists.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah Impa would be a nice character to represent the Sheikah Slate abilities with.
Why would you even WANT to rep Sheikah Slate abilities? 2 of them would suck as Smash abilities. And Link already uses one of the other 2.

Replace Link's FS with one where he Stasis the opponent, then spin attacks them 10 times before sending them flying off screen and you've repped every decent slate ability.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Why would you even WANT to rep Sheikah Slate abilities? 2 of them would suck as Smash abilities. And Link already uses one of the other 2.

Replace Link's FS with one where he Stasis the opponent, then spin attacks them 10 times before sending them flying off screen and you've repped every decent slate ability.
Ascension seems like it could be a really fun Smash ability based on this mod:

The Tears of the Kingdom abilities translate pretty well into Smash attacks too, though many of them are projectiles.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Because they're the backbone of a huge amount of gameplay in BOTW.

Link shouldn't have used any anyway, as he's a very weak representative of BOTW due to not being allowed to much change it up at all(as no characters is allowed to massively alter their playstyle). Completely changing him up even more would've been even worse than we already have, making him impossible for people to adjust to(and he's already difficult enough for some to adjust to. Losing the Gale Boomerang is a fairly big deal).

All should be represented as much as possible, and there's just better characters to do so. It's the actual core use of anything close to magic in a playable setting(which is why it's been suggested for Zelda before. And Impa by virtue of it being literally being part of a logical option. She's a Sheikah, after all).

We have Bombs(which aren't what Link would've used anyway, as Remote Bombs isn't a normal Bomb, but basically recreated for his new Down B only to match the Sheikah Slate), Cryonis(which can be used in a multitude of ways that isn't just a platform. Freezing characters isn't a common ability among any but one Smash fighter), Magnesis(which can be more than just a throw), Stasis(which is more useful than just a quick throw option. Stunning abilities are not actually common), and those are the most core ones. The summons it can do aren't really notable in terms of Smash, outside of a taunt. Nor is the Master Cycle. Can't do much with a Camera or Map function, though. Besides Taunts.

Coupled with various other abilities Impa or Zelda could have, and you have a much stronger use of it compared to the lackluster usage of it from Link, who isn't, again, allowed to do much with it. The throw isn't ultimately much better than losing a tether recovery(and his Final Smash is even more boring, since it's not one created more for him but a quick reskin). Besides that, you really cannot easily apply the leftover abilities to Link without overly changing his playstyle, making him a bad choice as a veteran to try and paste it onto. Those would've worked more than fine for a newcomer instead. And all of the abilities listed are actually pretty easy to transfer over in different ways, with only Cryonis requiring a tad extra work in the best way to use it. The rest? Pretty good for what their purpose is. And any leftover abilities like Map, Camera, Summoning are pretty easy taunts, so using all of its abilities(before TOTK) is very easy to transfer over without any issues. And make them work fine. They just don't work well as Link moves(with only Remote Bombs being an actual decent change that makes sense... since it's already a thing Link can do in other games, being the Oracle games and MC. And probably others I forgot, but they are immediately on the top of my mind for it).

It didn't help that Tekken was on Sakurai's radar since Smash 4, as Heihachi Mishima was planned as a DLC character but was scrapped and turned into a Mii Costume instead.
Considered. He was never planned to be in the game.

The Tears of the Kingdom abilities translate pretty well into Smash attacks too, though many of them are projectiles.
To be fair, this is referring to the BOTW stuff only, since it's referring to Smash Ultimate stuff. But yes, they should've just stuck with a few BOTW weapons instead of poorly using the Sheikah Slate and saved that for a new character in the next game, or at least use a new character who could be way more interesting with it. It's an excellent tool full of capabilities, and it doesn't need to be one move each. Using Magnesis-based metals as different moves is one of many ways to go about it~

That said, BOTW Zelda as a unique character with the Sheikah Slate and Champion Abilities does sound pretty awesome. Being that the Remote Bomb wouldn't be a Down B since that's used differently, how would you set it up?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Assuming the next piece of Nintendo hardware is backward compatible with the Switch, the recent focus on ports of legacy software outside of the consoles on NSO may also be in the interest of building a subscription service that can better compete with Game Pass and PlayStation Plus. I could easily see Nintendo releasing a "Nintendo Retro Collection" that gives you access to the pre-existing Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack service, HD remasters from the Gamecube, Wii, and 3DS, and possibly retro collections and rereleases from other publishers at a price point of, say, $120.00/year.
Unless the next gen Nintendo console has two screens like the DS/3DS, they can't really bring the DS line over to this kind of service. These games would have to be fully remade from the ground up.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Unless the next gen Nintendo console has two screens like the DS/3DS, they can't really bring the DS line over to this kind of service. These games would have to be fully remade from the ground up.
They can just display the two smaller screens on the same larger screen, like they did for Wii U virtual console. But for games with essential touch screen functionality you would need said touch screen functionality in handheld mode, and possibly those games would be only really playable in handheld mode.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ascension is a Purah Pad ability, not a Sheikah Slate ability.

Because they're the backbone of a huge amount of gameplay in BOTW.
...so? Smash and BotW are completely different types of games. BotW spatial puzzle solving abilities are useless for platform fighting.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

...so? Smash and BotW are completely different types of games. BotW spatial puzzle solving abilities are useless for platform fighting.
Yeah, you’re right. I get the two mixed up. I’ve only personally played Tears of the Kingdom and my brother played Breath of the Wild. I still call the support characters in Tears of the Kingdom champions but I think that term only referred to Urbosa, Daruk, Mipha, and Revali. I think the modern characters are referred to as sages.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ascend isn't even a Purah Pad ability. It's an ability from having Rauru's arm. 3 of the abilities(4 if counting the auto-build one) are from Rauru and 1, the rewind one, is from Zelda.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not that it really matters, as all of the abilities I mentioned are easily adaptable to Smash.

The ability to use metallic objects as floating weapons is massively easy to work with. That's the actual usage of Magnesis. Sure, summoning them out of midair almost seems odd... except that's an actual ability of the Sheikah Slate(while it's used for simply amiibo and the Master Cycle, the power to summon objects is still an official usage).

Crynosis is pretty easy to use for creating unique platforms, as well as also using them as easy weapons without issues. This can create quick frozen blocks to freeze opponents, or trip them up. It's really easy to adapt overall into a platform fighter.

Since we're talking about Link not using this, the Remote Bombs are obviously easy to work with. Statis is however actually still a massively uncommon ability. The ability to temporarily stun your opponent is barely in the game, and making that a more common move besides a single "quick stun" move is quite easy. It can be various aerials, normal attacks, which also makes it easier to combo into other moves. Besides that, it can be easily used to catch some projectiles and throw them back. Not as a reflector, but a slower move more like how long Naryu's Love takes to fully finish.

Now, the Purah Pad doesn't do as much as noted above since a lot of the abilities are from Rauru instead, however, these still make enough sense to base it around the same concept. Fusing objects together sounds really normal for something like the Sheikah Slate. Not necessarily Ascension, though, but that doesn't even have to be based upon it. You could just use the glider instead, more or less similar to the Parasol move. It's also worth noting that it functions the same, but it's mostly Rauru's Arm doing the actual ability too, but is just an evolution of the gameplay. Ultrahand that said combined with Magnesis also gives more easy ways to move objects that only one cannot, so it's not hard to even figure out some kind of move to go with it. Besides that, the Zonai devices are also easy to summon in general, allowing for some easy ways to use certain objects as weapons/attacks. You could even use Recall as an actual Reflective ability, compared to Stasis working highly differently in applications.

It's really easy to transfer these over. The only actual abilities that have no way to reasonably be used outside of taunts/references are the Camera and Map, really. Even Autobuild could be used for something, like creating a unique Final Smash of summoning one of the various large Zonai combinations for a final attack. And all of this is without relying on slapping this onto Link, as it'd easily be a good evolution of Zelda's magic focus. Albeit, a different Zelda since the one playable in Smash is too widely different. You can also use the Champion abilities in some way if you want to, depending how easy they are to fit in, though. Though thinking about it, Revali's Gale and Ascension have barely any differences, but you could still put them both together. Normally, you can't go through solid objects with any kind of Up B, but being able to go through some while using it, and then doing the glider, puts them together in a neat package. I imagine Daruk's Protection could be just a simple Shield design instead of the classic bubble shield. Since custom moves are probably not on the table, it doesn't make for a great Special Move alone. Urbosa's Fury has many potential uses, like it could be something of "powering up summoning attacks" or just a simple Aerial Attack akin to Mewtwo's Neutral Air, but having more range(since it has projectiles). Mipha's Grace is... much harder to justify since Healing moves are really difficult to balance. Though something like a temporary state where if you're already highly damaged, you can gain some health back when dealing damage.

Naturally no matter what move you find, sometimes you need to change it up a bit. All the Champion abilities, Rauru Arm stuff, Sheikah Slate, and Purah Pad stuff can find ways to be used. Even for moves that have a difficult way to be in combat can make for easy taunts or other kinds of animations. Victories, idles, and so on. Them taking out a map when idle long enough is really easy to explain. Doing some funny animations using the camera function works as a great victory. At most you just need to take some time to sit down and balance the moves(and then take into account who exactly is being used. Since in context, it's referring to non-Link characters, exactly what else do you want to use? If it's Zelda, she has other stuff from various games, but also a very spoilery Final Smash option too. If Impa, she doesn't have many abilities in the actual canon games, but you can still take minor pieces from those as references anyway. Spin-offs were always open for a good reference. What, you didn't think Peach was using a Fan, Golf Club, and Tennis Racket from a mainline game, did you? And so on). These were never truly difficult to adapt in different ways. Every character has more than just "fighting moves", as they have all kinds of stuff to do beyond that. So of course those non-combat abilities are easy to transfer over too. It's also part of why I find Impa a good option, since she doesn't actually have that many canon techniques to use anyway, so it's easy to give her this kind of moveset while still using her other SS abilities and even filling out notes from HW if needed.

Another good way to put it is that it gives the ability to have a unique moveset that does both summoning and magic, along with long-ranged attacks. Something that is rather easy to do with the Sheikah Slate/Purah Pad/Rauru's Arm/Champion Abilities combined. Or basically, an actual BOTW/TOTK inspired moveset. Not... what we got, which is almost nothing of note. Hell, the only truly unique thing we got was Remote Bombs as a proper move(not a custom). We only got one Sheikah Slate ability anyway. Not exactly saying much since as I noted before, the Remote Bombs weren't even first appearing in BOTW(as they originated much earlier on), though I did make an error in saying they also appeared in the Oracle games. My bad. It was just Minish Cap first, and then a similar ability in BOTW and TOTK respectively. The changes to Link actually gave him some buffs and nerfs. He has to fight differently in the first place, and only his Final Smash is a true buff at best(as it's a massively increased range technique). But yeah, the Sheikah Slate could've never been used and you wouldn't notice at all, since all of his new moves could've been from other games with no hassle. Which is also unfortunate, since it blatantly didn't bother to use any of its potential and gave us a mediocre Link change that sadly did not help his game.

Hell, Ganondorf got better changes in terms of overall capabilities, it just wasn't what he needed. Link actually got a massive tier drop. Ganondorf never "dropped", since he was dead last last time, but he's also a bit harder to adjust to so it's not always the old players improving him, but also new ones. Also, tons of more powerful characters(which being he can't deal with projectiles, only hurts more. Link doesn't have this excuse as they simply gave him tools that were not entirely as helpful as they should have been). But the overall point is that the BOTW change was not actually favorable overall beyond having a less bad grab and a reasonably better Final Smash(which the latter is not useful for tier lists as items are off).

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Oh there's an easy solution for that: just make a specialized controller (similar to the NSO NES/SNES/N64/Genesis ones) that's essentially the bottom half of the DS

"Here's your controller, bro"

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Will the next The Legend of Zelda games always be the same Link and the same Zelda from now on? I write this because in every game in The Legend of Zelda series, there was a different Link and a different Zelda. I'm not saying or writing that this is bad, I just think it's time to always have the same Link and the same Zelda in later games. After all, in the Metroid series, for example, it's always the same Samus, so why not both of them be the same in their own games?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Will the next The Legend of Zelda games always be the same Link and the same Zelda from now on? I write this because in every game in The Legend of Zelda series, there was a different Link and a different Zelda. I'm not saying or writing that this is bad, I just think it's time to always have the same Link and the same Zelda in later games. After all, in the Metroid series, for example, it's always the same Samus, so why not both of them be the same in their own games?
There was a plot device where each iteration of the triforce bearers were incarnations, so unless the next game is BoTW 3 or whatever, I think they'll continue to introduce new versions of them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not entirely true. There's been sequels before.

Both Zelda and Link from Zelda 1 are in Zelda II(though the first Zelda herself is just a part of the backstory, but two total exist).

Majora's Mask stars Link from Ocarina of Time.

Phantom Hourglass has both Tetra and Link from Wind Waker come back.

The Oracle games are a pair, so star the same characters(and you have two story routes based upon which game you play first, so it has a unique sequel thing).

Link's Crossbow Training is the same Link from Twilight Princess(though it's a spin-off, so eh).

Not counting BOTW/TOTK, since that's just the latest instance of it.

Top Bottom