• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SPEN18

Smash Champion
MLB The Show looks pretty good though admittedly better on the Xbox.
Ah, I remember that getting shown in a Direct, and watching people's underwhelmed reactions to it. Like, I think people underestimated how big of an announcement that was, with how big baseball is in JP and especially with Ohtani being the cover athlete. Not saying it was this massive deal, but a bit bigger than people gave it credit for at the time as far as 3P reveals in Directs go.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just thought of another question: What characters do you guys think could not make it in due to having a large size or not the right shape, like how Ridley was once considered before Ultimate? I would go with Kraid from Metroid, due to his, well, largeness.
I think any character could feasibly be put in Smash regardless of size as long as they have the right proportions that wouldn't look weird if shrunk down.

Rathalos for example is one that comes to mind as one that would look weird if Shrunk down.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think any character could feasibly be put in Smash regardless of size as long as they have the right proportions that wouldn't look weird if shrunk down.

Rathalos for example is one that comes to mind as one that would look weird if Shrunk down.
Yeah, the not looking weird part is what I meant to say.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

There was a baby Rathalos called that the player character rode in Monster Hunter Stories. I think that might work as a rider character better than a standard adult Rathalos. That’s my preferred choice for a Monster Hunter rep since I think it’s the best of both worlds to get both a hunter and a monster. We also don’t really have an animal rider in Smash yet so that would really help them stand out. Finally, the Sories games have the cartoony aesthetic that fits well with Smash.

1675222162881.jpeg

I think the default player character design in the second game is pretty cool looking.

1675222732071.jpeg

Monster Hunter Stories 2 is the only Monster Hunter game I’ve really played but I thought it was a lot of fun and managed to play all the way through (which is rare for me these days in a game). Because it’s my only experience with the franchise, I might be a bit biased, admittedly.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
There was a baby Rathalos called that the player character rode in Monster Hunter Stories. I think that might work as a rider character better than a standard adult Rathalos. That’s my preferred choice for a Monster Hunter rep since I think it’s the best of both worlds to get both a hunter and a monster. We also don’t really have an animal rider in Smash yet so that would really help them stand out. Finally, the Sories games have the cartoony aesthetic that fits well with Smash.

View attachment 367446

I think the default player character design in the second game is pretty cool looking.

View attachment 367450

Monster Hunter Stories 2 is the only Monster Hunter game I’ve really played but I thought it was a lot of fun and managed to play all the way through (which is rare for me these days in a game). Because it’s my only experience with the franchise, I might be a bit biased, admittedly.
Why does the cat look like a walmart brand Jybanyan lol

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So to take a little break from wishlists
238B2C5F-24FB-40DB-9755-941F2AB109A3.jpeg

here are six characters I expect to see in the next Smash (You can swap Noah with Mio and Yuri with Lloyd for this but I am expecting the former ones)

toonito

Smash Ace

View attachment 367446

View attachment 367450

Monster Hunter Stories 2 is the only Monster Hunter game I’ve really played but I thought it was a lot of fun and managed to play all the way through
(which is rare for me these days in a game). Because it’s my only experience with the franchise, I might be a bit biased, admittedly.
i agree

the Monster Hunter Stories 1 player character is my most wanted Monster Hunter playable character. I feel his potential archetype and design for Smash could be interesting.
View attachment 367452
here are six characters I expect to see in the next Smash (You can swap Noah with Mio and Yuri with Lloyd for this but I am expecting the former ones)
Chun-Li is my 2nd most wanted character but I feel that if Nintendo wants new franchises from Capcom she may get the short end of the stick. However if Nintendo wants Capcom's biggest characters in Smash regardless of franchise then she'll probably get in Smash 6 as she's arguably become Capcom's mascot alongside Ryu.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
View attachment 367452
Crono strikes me as a character we won't get unless he gets in via demand, which he currently lacks. His game is hugely highly regarded, but his series is also old, small, and basically dead.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
100 days until tears of the kingdom

those of you who think I only ever say negative things are in for a shock

Stratos

Smash Ace
Somewhere just now I unfortunately read that neither Nintendo nor PlayStation nor Xbox will participate in E3 2023. If this is true then what can we expect from E3 2023? I want at least something new to be mentioned in Nintendo Direct.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Somewhere just now I unfortunately read that neither Nintendo nor PlayStation nor Xbox will participate in E3 2023. If this is true then what can we expect from E3 2023? I want at least something new to be mentioned in Nintendo Direct.
I’ve read the same and there are a few YouTube videos talking about it so I assume it’s probably true. I think they are just rumors right now and I’m not sure what has been confirmed.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Crono strikes me as a character we won't get unless he gets in via demand, which he currently lacks. His game is hugely highly regarded, but his series is also old, small, and basically dead.
Yeah, it'll probably take a CT remake to get him into Smash as a Fighter.

Spirits or Miis might still be on the table for him though.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

It's thd first day of February, so I guess now's a good time for Direct predictions. Anybody got any good ones?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

It's thd first day of February, so I guess now's a good time for Direct predictions. Anybody got any good ones?
Personally, I’m hoping for the seventh based on rumors.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Still hoping for Gordon Freeman to show up for the next Smash Bros Game as a Third Party.
I think Chell could be a lot of fun in Smash with her portal gun. I haven’t really played any Valve games myself but I watched my brother play Half Life and Portal years ago. Just imagining the possibilities that the portal gun offers is fun. Gordon Freeman has some fun mechanics himself. I can’t say either are at the top of my list of favorite game characters but they’d both be fun additions with exciting gameplay.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
There are lots of great characters here I'd love to see: Kyle Hyde, Starfy, Takamaru, Muddy Mole, Mach Rider, Arcade Bunny, Hakkun, Eddy, Dillon...

But one in particular that stood out was the Marvelous trio, Jack, Max, and Dion. They were always interesting to me because I definitely think that if it weren't for their complete lack of western presence, they'd be among the more requested retro characters for Smash for their legacy alone.

For those who don't know, Marvelous was actually the directorial debut of Eiji Aonuma. He wanted more than anything to work on Zelda titles, so he made Marvelous a very similar game to Zelda, particularly A Link to the Past, both as a love letter as well as a way to prove he could handle this style of game. His work on Marvelous is what then got him onto the Zelda team, and the rest is history.

So this rather obscure (in the west) title is rather instrumental in the history of one of Nintendo's flagship franchises.
You know, I don't think I ever mentioned this, but I actually did make a Marvelous trio for Smash 4 thread! I wanted to make one for Smash Ultimate, but by the time I was going to, the trio was already confirmed to appear as a 3-in-1 Spirit, and I think it deflated my enthusiasm to do so.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I hope for the seventh of this month as well, but what rumors do you mean?
there’s a lot of speculation on us getting a direct soon based on some stores listing ratings for advance wars and the fact that we’re 100 days from tears of the kingdom. plus as was said further up we’ve had some around this time last few years

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
there’s a lot of speculation on us getting a direct soon based on some stores listing ratings for advance wars and the fact that we’re 100 days from tears of the kingdom. plus as was said further up we’ve had some around this time last few years
I know the last thing that we have had Directs around this time in more recent years, but I failed to catch everything else before. Man, I am uninformed for no good reason.

Thanks though!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I can totally see him getting a Mii swordfighter outfit though.

100 days until tears of the kingdom

those of you who think I only ever say negative things are in for a shock
I hhave a hard time processing that.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
What does the nintendo vouchers do? First time hearing about it.
It’s a deal on the eShop where you can pay $100 USD to get two games of your choice from a list (which includes most of Nintendo’s notable first party games plus some others.) If you pick two $60 games, you ultimately save $20 over buying them the normal way.

This deal hasn’t been available on the NA eShop for quite a while, but it’s rumored that it is returning.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I was having a hard time thinking about what would be a good way to reveal Kunio and Riki in their reveal trailer but then I saw the opening of Nekketsu Fighting Legend and I was like "Perfect!".

You just never know with this series. It's just that huge.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I've always gotten a kick out of Smash Remix.

But them now creating a great looking moveset for Marina Litetyears is just icing on the cake.
Marina looks like she’d be a cool addition, and I was also happy to see Dedede join, so all the scrapped fighters are now in 64.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Whenever they add the OG Smash to N64 Online, it's gonna give me SERIOUS whiplash not seeing all the Remix stuff, I swear...
Good thought, chocolate! I can imagine fans saying "I payed for the expansion for this? Where are the rest of the characters?!"

Top Bottom