• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, I just had this thought, and a question:

What would you all think would be some weird/the weirdest choices for characters in the next Smash Bros. game?
well I certainly love weird characters. like I would say a character who can fight with say a toothbrush, a spoon, a vacuum, a flower picker, maybe a boombox and a tricycle

GolisoPower

Smash Master

What would you all think would be some weird/the weirdest choices for characters in the next Smash Bros. game?
A Hanafuda character. Hanafuda cards were what got Nintendo started in the first place, WAAAAAAAAY long before video games were even invented. We could stick with the Tengu if using Napoleon's likeness is too much for this game.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Sorry it took so long to respond: I was at work and thought it'd be better to wait until I was at my laptop for this. Anyway, like I said, if you know anything about Dragon Ball Heroes you MIGHT have a rough idea for what I'm going for with this story:

• The game would feature a mixture of original characters and characters from preestablished Nintendo IPs.
  • You'd have a custom character who serves as a member of some sort of "interdimensional protection group" thing (if you DON'T know about DBH, think the TVA from Loki).
  • At the start of the game, your main base of operations is attacked by the main villain force, an original character that has recruited various Nintendo villains like Bowser and Ganondorf with the goal of destroying all the various timelines in favor of creating a singular timeline where they essentially rule as its gods.
  • While only SOME of the Nintendo villains are outright loyal to the OG villain, they all fear them due to just how powerful they truly are (for context, this includes characters like the Xenoblade villains).
  • In response to the attack, the main group decides to go to the worlds of various Nintendo IPs in order to recruit the various Nintendo HEROES in order to stop the villains.
  • While the gameplay itself would still be the Smash we all know and love, it would have a bit more RPG elements, such as leveling up and bringing back the Custom Moves in the form of moves you can switch out as you level up.

I'll admit, this isn't FULLY fleshed out, and some parts are a bit fanfic-y (i.e. I had an idea where Bowser and Ganon have a sort of "good cop bad cop" dynamic), but it's a rough start. Though FWIW, the comments I got DID give me an idea for a potential subplot where Goku from Yuyuki tricks the villains into letting him join them where he can leak their info to the heroes, as a reference to Sun Wukong being a bit of a trickster in the original Journey to the West story...
jist imagine all the pandering, like somethig of the same level of Vegerott SS4 or a SS3 Nappa

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion

Anyone from the Hyperdimension Neptunia franchise.

And i say ANYONE.

Oh, and also i unironically want non video game characters.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I would actually like a Super Scope character. Mike Anderson from Battle Clash could work.

And I always wondered how a Tetris Block would work in Smash, honestly.
Another one I just thought of is a SIMS character... I can't imagine their moveset being normal lol

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Don't kill me please, but my personal all-time non-video game Most Wanted is no othen then The Penguins of Madagascar (not joking), they are on my top 3 with SpongeBob SquarePants and the snail from the Kirby anime (forgot it's name).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This reminded me that Cat Mario was used as the example back when the Smash Ballot was announced. Don't know why...

(Also, first look at Seth Rogan as DK).
Ah, that was funny. I can't wait to see it later on. And yeah, Cat Mario's gag worked perfectly. It's so stupid in and out-of-universe for a battle(despite cats being quite strong on its own), but that sold it even better for me with just that voice. It's too silly or serious with other voices, but this one actually works juuuuuust right for the situation.

I can show you the moveset if you like. It basically involves using the Jet Ski, but the character is not always on it.
I'd love to see it~

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'd love to see it~
Here we go then.

Ryota Hayami

Coming from the Wave Race series, Ryota joins the battle in Smash Bros. As a fighter, his normal attacks are non projectile and mainly melee attacks, though some of his attacks use water that can push away foes. His special moves are...

B: Jet Ski Spin. Ryota spins on his jet ski, causing water coming from, somewhere, that can push enemies away.

B Side: Jet Ski Dash: Ryota uses his jet ski to dash at opponents, leaving a short trail of water on the ground, unless he does this on above platforms, which does not create water. The water acts like water from other stages, and characters can go in it. But after a short time, it disappears, and if the characters are in it by that time, they are ejected out of the water, so no one gets KOed from the water turning back into ground. But they might get KOed as they can get launched off stage, depending on the damage the opponent has taken.

B Up: Wave Rush: Ryoto uses his jet ski to ride a wave that goes upward, similar to Squirtle's Up B. It can cause damage.

B Down: Wave Charge: Ryoto does a pose that, over time, can increase the number on his on screen bottom icon. The charge can charge up to three times, and when using a special move after charging, Ryoto's other special moves become more powerful, which in turns decreases the number of charges by one.

Final Smash: Jet Ski Barrage: Ryoto charges at his enemies. If no one is hit, nothing happens, and if any are hit, a cutscene happens where the characters are in water, and Ryoto rides on his jet ski and hits his foes, sending them into the water and then sending them flying, possibly off screen. This is similar to Captain Falcon's Final Smash.

What do you think?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
The Wario Apparition but Nintendo proceeds to act like it was always canon and refuses to explain anything.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

David Junior, from the Legend of Zelda.

Not as a skin for Tingle; Tingle wouldn't even be playable.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I don’t know if weird is the right word but there’s definitely a bunch of characters I’d love to see in Smash that would confuse a ton of people if they made it in. Some of my most wanted characters are minor enemies like Bugzzy from Kirby and Pharaoh Man from Mega Man. There’s also Zegram from Rogue Galaxy. None of them would have particularly unusual movesets so maybe weird isn’t the right word.

A much more popular character I’d love to see who would have a very unusual moveset (potentially) is Sarah Kerrigan from StarCraft. I’d love her moveset to be based on RTS mechanics based on using resources to summon Zerg units with various functions. Some wander and attack like Dedede’s old Waddle Dee moves while others burrow underground and act as traps when opponents get close. I even made a complete moveset for her that I’ve shared here a few times.

Another (potentially unbalanced) idea I had was for Raziel from Soul Reaver. Raziel is a vampiric wraith so in that game, he constantly loses health but can drain life for defeating enemies. I thought this could be an interesting gimmick in Smash, although maybe just drain on dealing damage rather than having to KO them. The only issue is this might encourage keep away strategies for his opponents.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Dear God... This might as well be nearly EVERY character I've ever wanted for Smash. I'll admit, a good deal of these aren't exactly WEIRD for Smash, but I'm certainly not holding my breath on seeing them be playable anytime soon.

Lark (or any Pilotwings character for that matter)
A Wave Race character (preferably Ryota Hayami)
A 1080° character (preferably Akari Hayami, Kensuke Kimachi, or Ricky Winterborn)
A Nintendo LABO character
Sakura Samurai
Trax
Monita
A Rhythm Heaven character (preferably Yuka)
Dr. Lobe
Dr. Kawashima
Dr. Wright
Vince
Harry (Teleroboxer)
Icarus (Glory of Heracles)
Frey and Freya
Kyle Hyde
Ashley Mizuki Robbins
Raymond Bryce
A Nintendo Wars character (preferably Andy)
Qbby
Eddy (Fluidity)
Sukapon
Nikki (I guess she's technically in via Miis, but still)
Wonder-Red
A Magical Vacation/Starsign character
Zael
Aeron
Tamagon
Barbara the Bat
Mallo
Prince Sable
A Baiten Kaitos character
An Odama character
A Fossil Fighters character
A Kurikin character
Dillon
Mach Rider
F-Type
Kageshina Kurabe
Excitebiker
Balloon Fighter
Alice
Bubbles
Ayumi Tachibana
DeMille
Kururin
Chibi-Robo
Hakkun
The Marvelous trio (Dion, Max, and Jack)
Sheriff
Starfy
Muddy Mole
Mike Jones
Michael Anderson
Fighter Hayabusa
A sports character (the Volleyball Girl, the Ice Hockey team, etc.)
Ouendan and/or Elite Beat Agents (w/ their female counterparts)
Mr. Stevenson
Takamaru
Isaac
Ray (Custom Robo)
Alexandra Roivas
Jonathan Raimi
Jasmine Callsign (from Jet Impulse)
Hiro and/or Satoru (from Card Hero)
Sato Amatsubo (from Project H.A.C.K.E.R.)
Captain Rainbow
Goku and Chao
Donbe and Hikari
Lip
Saki Amamiya
A Style Savvy character
A Hanafuda character
Mini-Kangaroo (w/ various Nintendo toys from back in the day)
Ando Kensaku
Arcade Bunny
Grace and Savannah (from Tokyo Crash Mobs)
A Pop-Up Pursuit character
Orville (Takt of Magic)
A Cubivore character
Doshin/Jashin
Cupid
Aisya
Diskun
Jill
Tempo
Welt
Warrior Mech Gauss

and MANY more...

Odd. I actually made a moveset for one of the characters from Wave Race once. Just saying.
Here we go then.

Ryota Hayami

Coming from the Wave Race series, Ryota joins the battle in Smash Bros. As a fighter, his normal attacks are non projectile and mainly melee attacks, though some of his attacks use water that can push away foes. His special moves are...

B: Jet Ski Spin. Ryota spins on his jet ski, causing water coming from, somewhere, that can push enemies away.

B Side: Jet Ski Dash: Ryota uses his jet ski to dash at opponents, leaving a short trail of water on the ground, unless he does this on above platforms, which does not create water. The water acts like water from other stages, and characters can go in it. But after a short time, it disappears, and if the characters are in it by that time, they are ejected out of the water, so no one gets KOed from the water turning back into ground. But they might get KOed as they can get launched off stage, depending on the damage the opponent has taken.

B Up: Wave Rush: Ryoto uses his jet ski to ride a wave that goes upward, similar to Squirtle's Up B. It can cause damage.

B Down: Wave Charge: Ryoto does a pose that, over time, can increase the number on his on screen bottom icon. The charge can charge up to three times, and when using a special move after charging, Ryoto's other special moves become more powerful, which in turns decreases the number of charges by one.

Final Smash: Jet Ski Barrage: Ryoto charges at his enemies. If no one is hit, nothing happens, and if any are hit, a cutscene happens where the characters are in water, and Ryoto rides on his jet ski and hits his foes, sending them into the water and then sending them flying, possibly off screen. This is similar to Captain Falcon's Final Smash.

What do you think?
You know, I actually made a Wave Race for Smash support thread (it was bundled with 1080°, given the two series share a universe).

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Dear God... This might as well be nearly EVERY character I've ever wanted for Smash. I'll admit, a good deal of these aren't exactly WEIRD for Smash, but I'm certainly not holding my breath on seeing them be playable anytime soon.

A 1080° character (preferably Akari Hayami or Ricky Winterborn)
Sakura Samurai
Trax
Monita
Dr. Lobe
Dr. Kawashima
Dr. Wright
Vince
Harry (Teleroboxer)
Frey and Freya
Kyle Hyde
Ashley Mizuki Robbins
Raymond Bryce
Qbby
Eddy (Fluidity)
Sukapon
Wonder-Red
Zael
Aeron
Tamagon
Barbara the Bat
Mallo
Prince Sable
An Odama character
A Kurikin character
Dillon
Mach Rider
F-Type
Kageshina Kurabe
Excitebiker
Balloon Fighter
Alice
Bubbles
Ayumi Tachibana
DeMille
Kururin
Chibi-Robo
Hakkun
Sheriff
Starfy
Muddy Mole
Mike Jones
Michael Anderson
Fighter Hayabusa
Mr. Stevenson
Takamaru
Isaac
Ray (Custom Robo)
Alexandra Roivas
Jonathan Raimi
Captain Rainbow
Goku and Chao
Donbe and Hikari
Lip
Saki Amamiya
A Style Savvy character
A Hanafuda character
Ando Kensaku
Arcade Bunny
Orville (Takt of Magic)
A Cubivore character
Doshin/Jashin
Cupid
Aisya
Diskun
Jill
Tempo
Welt
Warrior Mech Gauss

and MANY more...

You know, I actually made a Wave Race for Smash support thread (it was bundled with 1080°, given the two series share a universe).
Man, that is a lot of characters! I do want Johnathan Raimi and Mach Rider.

If I had to answer my own question though, I guess I would go with Wart from Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario USA and Captain Syrup from Wario Land.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Man, that is a lot of characters! I do want Johnathan Raimi and Mach Rider.

If I had to answer my own question though, I guess I would go with Wart from Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario USA and Captain Syrup from Wario Land.
I’ve always thought Wart would make a fun addition to Smash. At the very least, I’d like to see him used more in the Mario universe in games like Mario Kart.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I’ve always thought Wart would make a fun addition to Smash. At the very least, I’d like to see him used more in the Mario universe in games like Mario Kart.
I have to agree. Wart is quite the underused character. Even Birdo is used much more than he is. Seeing him in a Smash game or a in-Mario universe game would be fun!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
same

unless those variants are toad
I think keeping both Toad and Toadette is totally fine in my opinion. Having both Toad and Captain Toad might be a bit much for me unless we had a huge roster. Captain Toad is still way better than baby versions of every character or Pink Gold Peach.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just thought of another question: What characters do you guys think could not make it in due to having a large size or not the right shape, like how Ridley was once considered before Ultimate? I would go with Kraid from Metroid, due to his, well, largeness.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion

A 1080° character (preferably Akari Hayami or Ricky Winterborn)
Sakura Samurai
Trax
Monita
Dr. Lobe
Dr. Kawashima
Dr. Wright
Vince
Harry (Teleroboxer)
Frey and Freya
Kyle Hyde
Ashley Mizuki Robbins
Raymond Bryce
Qbby
Eddy (Fluidity)
Sukapon
Wonder-Red
Zael
Aeron
Tamagon
Barbara the Bat
Mallo
Prince Sable
An Odama character
A Kurikin character
Dillon
Mach Rider
F-Type
Kageshina Kurabe
Excitebiker
Balloon Fighter
Alice
Bubbles
Ayumi Tachibana
DeMille
Kururin
Chibi-Robo
Hakkun
Sheriff
Starfy
Muddy Mole
Mike Jones
Michael Anderson
Fighter Hayabusa
Mr. Stevenson
Takamaru
Isaac
Ray (Custom Robo)
Alexandra Roivas
Jonathan Raimi
Captain Rainbow
Goku and Chao
Donbe and Hikari
Lip
Saki Amamiya
A Style Savvy character
A Hanafuda character
Ando Kensaku
Arcade Bunny
Orville (Takt of Magic)
A Cubivore character
Doshin/Jashin
Cupid
Aisya
Diskun
Jill
Tempo
Welt
Warrior Mech Gauss

and MANY more...

Who are your Third-Party picks

I just thought of another question: What characters do you guys think could not make it in due to having a large size or not the right shape, like how Ridley was once considered before Ultimate? I would go with Kraid from Metroid, due to his, well, largeness.
Doshin the Giant

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Some characters are huge but could be feasibly shrunken down to a normal size like Medusa. I’d love to see Noah and Mio’s Ouroboros fusion form as a playable character but it would have to be shrunken down to the same degree as Ridley and Bowser. Andross from StarFox might be a tricky one to shrink down.

It would probably be really unbalanced but I’d love to see a huge character in Smash similar to Sentinel in Marvel Vs Capcom. I’d at least like for the larger Smash characters we already have to be scaled up a bit. I feel many were probably shrunken a bit too much. They’d probably all need buffs since they’d be larger targets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom