• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
  • Broke: Capcom All-Stars game
  • Woke: Média-Participations vs. Capcom (with all of them: Dargaud, Dupuis, Le Lombard, ALL OF THEM)
Imagine the possibilities: Spirou, Lucky Luke, and Valerian (Assist: Thomson and Thompson) vs. Chun-Li, Mr. X, and Maximo (Assist: Nina from Breath of Fire)

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Gameplay wise yeah their just skins but i'm pretty sure lorewise they are supposed to be the characters themselves having been dumped into Fortnite's world.

There are DC and Marvel comics about their characters showing up in the Fortnite world and there was an entire storyline that involved guys like Master chief, Kratos and the street fighters showing up.

That's pretty cool.

What if Smash got stuff like that? Branching out the crossover aspect more?

It's really weird and a bit too ambitious to call Smash Bros as whole a celebration of gaming especially when it is majorly a Nintendo crossover even to this day. Celebration of Nintendo + associates makes more sense

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean, I certainly wouldn't be against a one-on-one mode alongside the tag battling.
I mean, no reason not to have that mode I guess. But it's definitely not the point of those games. That's the point of Street Fighter. The point of Capcom Vs. is to be the 3v3, insanely fast, screen filling attacks fighting game.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Everyone seems to have something against Swordfighters but i think they forget that the Sword is THE Protagnist Weapon!
I mean look at lotr the origin of modern fantasy almost all Characters there use a Sword even the mage!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Everyone seems to have something against Swordfighters but i think they forget that the Sword is THE Protagnist Weapon!
I mean look at lotr the origin of modern fantasy almost all Characters there use a Sword even the mage!
err modern fantasy means fantasy set in the contemporary time period so that’s not right

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
err modern fantasy means fantasy set in the contemporary time period so that’s not right
No, he was actually right there. Modern fantasy is typically what people call the genre when they mean fantasy stories written in modern times, typically from Tolkien's works onward.

What you're describing is closer to the subgenre of urban fantasy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, he was actually right there. Modern fantasy is typically what people call the genre when they mean fantasy stories written in modern times, typically from Tolkien's works onward.

What you're describing is closer to the subgenre of urban fantasy.
no cause I checked and it said urban fantasy was the the sub genre of modern fantasy which was another name for contemporary fantasy. Even then LOTR is what you would call high fantasy. Besides most fantasies written in modern times are ripping off Harry Potter and twilight

or in my case everything

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
no cause I checked and it said urban fantasy was the the sub genre of modern fantasy which was another name for contemporary fantasy. Even then LOTR is what you would call high fantasy. Besides most fantasies written in modern times are ripping off Harry Potter and twilight

or in my case everything
Really?
1673721248961.png

I'm from Pennsylvania, and I've never heard anyone use the phrase "modern fantasy"

Ivander

Smash Legend
I've never seen the term modern fantasy used and if I had to guess what it was from the first hearing, I would've assumed a fantasy with a modern times setting, something like Harry Potter or Final Fantasy VII/VIII. If I heard something like modern fantasy story or classic fantasy story, I would've assumed it's a fantasy story made in the modern times or classic/old times, where Lord of the Rings would fit the former while something like Le Morte d'Arthur would be in the latter.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Terry Brooks' and his Shannara series is a great example of genre blending fiction writing because it is Fantasy (epic), inspired by LotR (high fantasy), takes place in ancient times and future times (science fiction), and takes place on Earth (low fantasy).

Truly a great series.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
If Kunio and Riki become playable characters, whenever they get KO'd, they should literally say "BARF". :laugh:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Terry Brooks' and his Shannara series is a great example of genre blending fiction writing because it is Fantasy (epic), inspired by LotR (high fantasy), takes place in ancient times and future times (science fiction), and takes place on Earth (low fantasy).

Truly a great series.
is he as good as sir terry?

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
''Well Sakurai, we made it. Despite Nintendo's lack of directs.''

''Ah, Smashboards, welcome! I hope you're prepared for an unforgettable reveal!''

'Yeah...''

Sakurai opens door, sees development on fire.

''Oh egads! The reveal is ruined! But what if....I were to make a mii costume and disguise it as a new character? D'ohohoho, delightfully devilish, Sakurai!

(i'm not finishing this)

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
''Well Sakurai, we made it. Despite Nintendo's lack of directs.''

''Ah, Smashboards, welcome! I hope you're prepared for an unforgettable reveal!''

'Yeah...''

Sakurai opens door, sees development on fire.

''Oh egads! The reveal is ruined! But what if....I were to make a mii costume and disguise it as a new character? D'ohohoho, delightfully devilish, Sakurai!

(i'm not finishing this)
Sakurai with his crazy disconfirmation
The Smashboards is gonna need his medication
When he hear Sakurai's lame announcement
There'll be trouble on Twitter tonight!

SAAAAAAKURAAAAI!!!!!

Top Bottom