• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Honestly, if we're talking about Cranky Kong, I'd prefer him to be an Assist Trophy in order to fill the hole Mr. Resetti left back in Brawl. I can understand why Resetti was removed, considering not too many AC players liked him and his role got depreciated as game saving technology advanced, so I think Cranky Kong could easily take the "Guy ranting while his text obstructs the screen" role, considering how his fourth-wall breaking quips are his most iconic trait.

...on that note, I might consider making a list of characters that I think are likely to show up as Assists or costumes in the next game.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I’m saw talk about FE reps and whether or not there’s too many, so here’s my 2 cents:

The FE lineup from Smash 4’s base roster (but with Byleth in Lucina’s place and Lucy as an Alph/Koopaling skin for Marth) was and still is imho the best way to represent the franchise in Smash. Marth, Ike and Robin all represent 3 very notable games in the franchise and have unique playstyles from each other (light swordfighter, heavy swordfighter, and mage swordfighter). If those 3 (and Lucina as a skin) were the only FE reps on Ult’s base roster, then Byleth would’ve been a welcome addition, being a flavor of the month DLC character with a unique moveset as well.

In the case of Roy, he was perfectly fine as a Smash 4 DLC character, being a highly requested returning veteran just like Mewtwo. However, at his core, he’s still a Marth clone, but basically Luigified by the changes made to Marth in Brawl, and was the original flavor of the month character who only was put in originally to promote the latest FE game.

Lucina was fine, but alongside Dark Pit and Dr. Mario, they honestly could’ve been alternate skins for the base characters, just like Alph.

Corrin, despite the unique moveset, was another flavor of the month character, with their game not even released in the West by that time, and was received even more negatively by fans after Smash 4 because of Fates being poorly rated, so their exclusion wouldn’t be a big deal for most.

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
So as the person who's been constantly shilling SEGA stuff in these threads for a while now, I feel like I should give some feedback on the SEGA side here
  • I think Sonic could probably do with just three reps in a roster side this small
  • Similarly, I don't think Persona needs the second rep in a roster of this size - having one for Persona and one for other Megaten stuff is enough. SEGA rosters always have this ATLUS bias and I don't get it. And I'm not a fan of the picks either - Jack Frost feels like a really bland basic choice (i like him tho, he's a funny hee ho boy) and Yukari is just plain weird
  • Also in the same vein, I think having two Bayo reps and Jack Cayman is really overdoing it. Having just Bayo is enough. SEGA rosters are also often biased towards Platinum and I don't get that either. Why are SEGA rosters so afraid of in-house SEGA stuff
  • Sakura Wars getting two reps is actually pretty cool, but having Amamiya over the OG Sakura is weird
  • Lotta important series missing. No Phantasy Star? No Valkyria Chronicles? No House of the Dead? No Streets of Rage? No Puyo or Yakuza?I'd say Shining too but I can forgive you for that one cause it can be pretty hard to decide on a rep. I will say though, I'm glad Ryo is here! He may seem like an obvious pick but I've seen a lot of rosters lately that don't include him for some reason and I don't get why, Shenmue is like super important
  • Also, a Resonance of Fate rep? I like that! Zephyr's not who I'd pick, but you know what? I dig it. I respect that pull
  • Now for the elephant in the room: Pulseman is an extremely weird choice. I don't get it. I don't get it at all. If it's because of Pokemon characters being in the roster, then that's actually a pretty cool way to take advantage of the crossover potential. But otherwise, that's a weird pick. First things first, I'm not sure SEGA even own him. But even if they did, that's still such a random choice. And, like, I like Pulseman! I think he's cool! But he's also extremely, and I mean extremely, far down the totem pole of SEGA IP, and again, that's if SEGA even own him at all. I like deep cuts (hell, I literally just now praised the addition of Zephyr), but if you wanted a deep cut, I could name plenty of potential deep cut picks who, IMO, would make more sense than Pulseman. Obscure characters are cool but this one feels like a bit much, especially considering the amount of notable series that are omitted here
I know I sound harsh here, but I'm not trying to **** on your roster - I genuinely love analyzing other people's SEGA rosters, I think it's a really fun way of discussing SEGA and their status in the gaming world. Cause there are a lot - and I mean a lot - of wrongful perceptions of SEGA floating around, and they often bleed into these rosters. I have a lot of issues with this roster, I think it feels a bit too safe and it falls into a lot of the same pitfalls I always see (omitting important IP, weird bias towards Atlus and Platinum, including random unimportant characters over the aforementioned important IP), but I also think it's a roster that seems like it had passion put into it and, with a little more research and a little nudge in the right direction, could turn into something special. This has potential, I just think you should do more research
Seconding a lot of what Speed Weed said. Lots of out there choices on both sides. For example, if they did have 3 pokemon, I would be shocked if Vespiquen was one of the two. Pikachu and Mewtwo, sure that makes sense. Vespiquen tho feels super out there and tbh I think you can sub it with plenty of other popular pokemon like Lucario, Greninja, Mimikyu, or what have you. FE also is weird going with Ike and Celica. I do appreciate some of your more out there choices and call backs, but at points I feel the roster feels just too weird. I know you were actively trying to make the smash side not smash centric, but in a crossover like this I feel that is kind of a fool's errand. Representing Star Fox without Fox or repping Fire Emblem without Marth, an Awakening pick, or Byelth feels like you are biting your nose to spite your face.
Totally understand and agree with your opinions, this was more of a proof-of-concept on what I envision a Nintendo vs. SEGA crossover roster would be. I just wanna note a few things:
  • Most of this roster is more for a story-based plot I've made for the Fantendo Wiki, which is serving as a sequel to a Project X Zone fighting game, so most characters I try to choose are for that story plot. I have a few ideas and characters that are set to appear in that, so that's why you might see characters like Blaze the Cat; or they're based on rivalries like Pikachu and Pulseman.
  • Speaking of Pulseman, I thought it would be easier for them to get Pulseman bc their game was published by SEGA and developed by Game Freak; guess who makes Pokemon?
  • As for the absence of franchises, this was made with ConnorRentz's Roster Builder resources, and it barely had any SEGA characters (notable exclusions were characters for Yakuza, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage, etc.), so I tried to make some of my own (which was quick btw), but I didn't want to fill up too much space.
  • Yeah, i understand that you have gripes with non in-house SEGA IPs are here more, but honestly, I'd think SEGA would do that though, that's just me.
  • Speaking of the Nintendo side, I tried to be like Capcom reps in Ultimate MvC3; like they had Zero and Tron Bonne, but no Mega Man version, I tried to replicate it with Krystal, but... you know.
  • It was really hard to choose non-Smash Nintendo characters without trying to sacrifice the flagship characters. If anything, I almost switched Greninja for Vespiquen, Lyn instead of Isaac, and just have Fox alone.
  • "feels like you are biting your nose to spite your face." What does that even mean? I feel like it's insulting and it'll feel worse when I know what it is.
Don't worry, I'm currently making another roster with 50 on each side, and have 20 of them newcomers on the NIntendo side. I might fail at it again, but who knows?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
FE Discourse is so tedious. As much as I might not be excited for our next inevitable FE newcomer, I think the discourse around FE in smash has gotten even more toxic. The backlash to Byelth, a character that in execution and in timing I have had notable issues with, was honestly incredibly annoying. People have turned FE into their scapegoat of what they think the roster should have been. I think at this point it just ends up being that Byleth or Corrin are turned into arguments about how "nintendo is out of touch with my the community's interests" or "they all play the same" which is honestly a ludicrously poor take.

I have made it no secret that I am not a fan of cuts. Being 100% objective, the only FE character I think is in remote danger of being a low priority and cut ever is Corrin. Roy, Lucina, and Chrom are easy characters to make since lets be real Marth is never getting cut. Ike (alongside Roy) is one of the most popular FE characters. Robin (alongside Lucina and Chrom) is from the game that saved the franchie. Byelth, the most contentious ult newcomer arguably, is from the biggest FE game of all time. Granted, I think a large part of the smash community has this fixation on a need for cuts for some reason, acting like addition equals subtraction. People always have assumed you can just pick and choose a character out of the roster for the next game and replace it with someone else, even if that is wildly inaccurate. At the end of the day, odds are the next game, baring a total reboot which in my opinion is wildly unlikely for so many reasons, will probably have a large number of FE characters. You could spend time complaining about it and fixating on it, or just move on. I might not be happy about Byleth in execution, but you do not see me lingering on about how FE now has hit some sort of arbitrary limit of characters.

FE Discourse honestly is just exhausting to go through. Its honestly almost as bad as the people that want to nuke the roster and bring us back to an era of "nintendo all stars" that never really existed.

---------------------------------

In other news, I was having a discussion with a few friends and one of them brought up the idea of Genshin Impact in smash. At first, I was skeptical. I do not play Genshin so I thought it would be a flavor of the month thing. Then I did my research.

Genshin is big. Like, far far larger than I expected, especially in Japan which is notably not as receptive towards foreign games. Genshin is huge in China, huge in Japan, huge in the US. It also shows no signs of stopping anytime soon, so I do not think the game will be dead by the time the next smash ends up coming out. I know for so many people that Genshin in smash would make their blood boil, especially on this site, but I do think that we should at least take the idea seriously and be prepared. If the series stays as big as it is in Japan and/or grows, I think Genshin should be something that is seriously discussed for the next smash.

Totally understand and agree with your opinions, this was more of a proof-of-concept on what I envision a Nintendo vs. SEGA crossover roster would be. I just wanna note a few things:
  • Most of this roster is more for a story-based plot I've made for the Fantendo Wiki, which is serving as a sequel to a Project X Zone fighting game, so most characters I try to choose are for that story plot. I have a few ideas and characters that are set to appear in that, so that's why you might see characters like Blaze the Cat; or they're based on rivalries like Pikachu and Pulseman.
  • Speaking of Pulseman, I thought it would be easier for them to get Pulseman bc their game was published by SEGA and developed by Game Freak; guess who makes Pokemon?
  • As for the absence of franchises, this was made with ConnorRentz's Roster Builder resources, and it barely had any SEGA characters (notable exclusions were characters for Yakuza, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage, etc.), so I tried to make some of my own (which was quick btw), but I didn't want to fill up too much space.
  • Yeah, i understand that you have gripes with non in-house SEGA IPs are here more, but honestly, I'd think SEGA would do that though, that's just me.
  • Speaking of the Nintendo side, I tried to be like Capcom reps in Ultimate MvC3; like they had Zero and Tron Bonne, but no Mega Man version, I tried to replicate it with Krystal, but... you know.
  • It was really hard to choose non-Smash Nintendo characters without trying to sacrifice the flagship characters. If anything, I almost switched Greninja for Vespiquen, Lyn instead of Isaac, and just have Fox alone.
  • "feels like you are biting your nose to spite your face." What does that even mean? I feel like it's insulting and it'll feel worse when I know what it is.
Don't worry, I'm currently making another roster with 50 on each side, and have 20 of them newcomers on the NIntendo side. I might fail at it again, but who knows?
It's a figure of speech. It is that in your effort to fix something, you end up harming yourself or damaging the product to an extent. It's not an insult.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Read through some of the thread I missed just wanted to reply to specific takes without necessarily quoting them.

The Crash box moveset was hilarious. Well done. Kind of could be slime of Crash's franchise.

I love Stage Morph would be sad to see it go.

On the topic of Ganondorf I think the Project M EX REMIX Mage Ganondorf is a perfect starting point to conceptualize the character. If current Ganon even had so much as a float I'd be a lot happier. That float mechanic needs to be spread out a bit more. I think Sora deserved it too.

On the topic of Marth vs Lucina I think the whole gimmick between the two did Marth and specifically the tipper mechanic majorly dirty. I'd simply combine the two properties and call it a day as in give Lucina a tipper and buff Marth's blade to Lucina's level and there's no way anyone could convince me that'd be some major balance breaker. I think Marth's counter extends a little further and Lucina's Neutral-Special extends a little further or the other way around? That can be their small difference. Echoes do not need major gameplay differences (actually thinking having them defeats the entire purpose of the concept) otherwise you have the situation that Marth is currently in. I do not consider Ken an echo (he's a semiclone though) other than for the purpose of marketing.

Like Octoling I think Shadow would be better served as a semiclone. He gets a headstart with his identical frame to Sonic and I think even his specials could all be appropriated from other members of the cast. Up-Special could be Mewtwo's/Palutena's teleport. Side-Special can be Wario's motorcycle redesigned into Shadow's maybe combine Wario's two old custom variant properties of the attack (faster and easier to break combined with the burying mechanic of the heavier variant) to it to make it a little bit more unique. Down-Special would be Witchtime retooled into his Assist Trophy chaos crystal animation. Neutral-Special is just Sonic's Neutral-Special. I personally think these specials would all go fantastic together to make for a very enjoyable moveset and it'd all so far be repurposed work. Brawlfan1 has a video on a Shadow moveset and I'd suggest his tilts/smashes/aerials all just be pulled from there which would be his unique work. Maybe Sonic could get his Project M Forward-Air and Shadow could inherit Sonic's old one to make them a little bit more unique from each other.

I'm a former Tails supporter but I was later so convinced of Dr.Robotnik's moveset potential that I switched sides. I'd still like to see Tails but I wouldn't want him to be reuse anything of Sonic's other than spindash for his Down-Special. Knuckles is probably gonna remain an Assist-Trophy forever but I do think that's a damn shame. It'd be overkill for sure but Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow and Dr. Robotnik would be the perfect Sonic representation. It really sucks to have to choose between them. If Nintendo ever acquired SEGA that'd be one of the first upsides to it with Sonic likely getting a major expansion of roster representation in Smash.

I feel like I need to take a break from this site for a while. I enjoy speculating about my favorite characters and joining in on what other people are bringing forward but it seems like everything I’ve been saying lately has just been getting people upset. I never really wanted to do that and was just trying to share my love for certain characters but it seems like no one wants to hear it. I’ve tried very hard to clarify that what I’m saying is just my personal opinion but whenever I mention something is even possible beyond what is already being speculated, it tends to annoy people. I’m at a loss of what to do at this point. I try to contribute to other people’s conversations and characters but whenever I try to put forward something of my own, it never seems to work out. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone here as that was never my intention. Rather than getting overly frustrated trying to defend my opinions over and over, I think it’s probably for the best to just step away for a while. Thank you to everyone that’s given me feedback and talked with me. I enjoyed our conversations overall and I’ll miss a lot of users here. I’ll be back once I have some time to clear my head and reassess the kinds of things I discuss here.
Hope you come back when you're ready! I really appreciate you engaging with my discussions so I'd miss having you around here.

Like Diddy said it's just the nature of Smash speculation to clash and have different priorities for the future of the series. I sometimes feel like I don't get my point across well either though (sometimes my sentences are nonsense because I don't proofread before posting and then I have to re-edit them!) so I can understand the frustration in feeling like another poster isn't addressing the points you were trying to make. It's all pretty well moderated here though and I don't think any regulars in this thread are necessarily antagonistic. We all are just super passionate about the future of the series hence why we're here in the first place.

I personally didn't feel like I had a lot to add to the Rare character discussion. If we're up to me to pick one it'd definitely be Conker because I have a personal experience playing BFD on my Xbox. I see the value in Battletoads though (I could also see them being an Assist Trophy though) and Fulgore would be really cool as well. If the next Perfect Dark game goes well I could also see Joanna getting a major uptick in support.

FE Discourse is so tedious. As much as I might not be excited for our next inevitable FE newcomer, I think the discourse around FE in smash has gotten even more toxic. The backlash to Byelth, a character that in execution and in timing I have had notable issues with, was honestly incredibly annoying. People have turned FE into their scapegoat of what they think the roster should have been. I think at this point it just ends up being that Byleth or Corrin are turned into arguments about how "nintendo is out of touch with my the community's interests" or "they all play the same" which is honestly a ludicrously poor take.

I have made it no secret that I am not a fan of cuts. Being 100% objective, the only FE character I think is in remote danger of being a low priority and cut ever is Corrin. Roy, Lucina, and Chrom are easy characters to make since lets be real Marth is never getting cut. Ike (alongside Roy) is one of the most popular FE characters. Robin (alongside Lucina and Chrom) is from the game that saved the franchie. Byelth, the most contentious ult newcomer arguably, is from the biggest FE game of all time. Granted, I think a large part of the smash community has this fixation on a need for cuts for some reason, acting like addition equals subtraction. People always have assumed you can just pick and choose a character out of the roster for the next game and replace it with someone else, even if that is wildly inaccurate. At the end of the day, odds are the next game, baring a total reboot which in my opinion is wildly unlikely for so many reasons, will probably have a large number of FE characters. You could spend time complaining about it and fixating on it, or just move on. I might not be happy about Byleth in execution, but you do not see me lingering on about how FE now has hit some sort of arbitrary limit of characters.

FE Discourse honestly is just exhausting to go through. Its honestly almost as bad as the people that want to nuke the roster and bring us back to an era of "nintendo all stars" that never really existed.
I tend to dislike cut spec because it's a pre-established toxic premise and my absolute least favorite aspect of the Smash speculation community where a character getting cut/disconfirmed is just as joyous or major (*cough GameFAQs losers *cough) as a character getting in.

It also inevitably devolves into Smash 64 characters + easy echoes/semiclones > Melee characters not named Pichu > Brawl characters > Smash 4 characters > Ultimate characters minus Inkling > third-party platforming mascots > almost all the remaining third parties > Sora. And around and around it goes.

I mainly disliked Byleth for being a first-party character in an otherwise third-party pass. I thought Reggie's comment was indicative of what to actually expect and I personally feel like it was a dishonorable bait-and-switch on the part of Nintendo. Why pay for another (even a relatively cheaper one) third-party character when anybody that was gonna buy the pass already bought it at that point? Might as well sneak a free character into the game that simultaneously promotes one of your major releases. Funnily enough I was actually thinking about trying 3 Houses as my first Fire Emblem game but Nintendo pulling that stunt was what dissuaded me from following through with that purchase because I didn't want to contribute to them believing that was what incentivized my purchase.

I hope I'm not sounding toxic because I don't mean to. I personally think Byleth is the best representation Fire Emblem has ever gotten and is a fun enough character with an interesting moveset design (the coordination between Neutral/Forward/Up/Down attacks is a compelling design philosophy that a character like Monster Hunter could utilize with great success I think) and it's clear to me Sakurai and team did their absolute best with what they were given. I don't care about the purists grumbling about the weapons not being character specific to Byleth at all because it's overall better for Byleth the Smash fighter to utilize those tools to expand upon their moveset potential and represent their game to the fullest extent they can.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So as the person who's been constantly shilling SEGA stuff in these threads for a while now, I feel like I should give some feedback on the SEGA side here
  • I think Sonic could probably do with just three reps in a roster side this small
  • Similarly, I don't think Persona needs the second rep in a roster of this size - having one for Persona and one for other Megaten stuff is enough. SEGA rosters always have this ATLUS bias and I don't get it. And I'm not a fan of the picks either - Jack Frost feels like a really bland basic choice (i like him tho, he's a funny hee ho boy) and Yukari is just plain weird
  • Also in the same vein, I think having two Bayo reps and Jack Cayman is really overdoing it. Having just Bayo is enough. SEGA rosters are also often biased towards Platinum and I don't get that either. Why are SEGA rosters so afraid of in-house SEGA stuff
  • Sakura Wars getting two reps is actually pretty cool, but having Amamiya over the OG Sakura is weird
  • Lotta important series missing. No Phantasy Star? No Valkyria Chronicles? No House of the Dead? No Streets of Rage? No Puyo or Yakuza?I'd say Shining too but I can forgive you for that one cause it can be pretty hard to decide on a rep. I will say though, I'm glad Ryo is here! He may seem like an obvious pick but I've seen a lot of rosters lately that don't include him for some reason and I don't get why, Shenmue is like super important
  • Also, a Resonance of Fate rep? I like that! Zephyr's not who I'd pick, but you know what? I dig it. I respect that pull
  • Now for the elephant in the room: Pulseman is an extremely weird choice. I don't get it. I don't get it at all. If it's because of Pokemon characters being in the roster, then that's actually a pretty cool way to take advantage of the crossover potential. But otherwise, that's a weird pick. First things first, I'm not sure SEGA even own him. But even if they did, that's still such a random choice. And, like, I like Pulseman! I think he's cool! But he's also extremely, and I mean extremely, far down the totem pole of SEGA IP, and again, that's if SEGA even own him at all. I like deep cuts (hell, I literally just now praised the addition of Zephyr), but if you wanted a deep cut, I could name plenty of potential deep cut picks who, IMO, would make more sense than Pulseman. Obscure characters are cool but this one feels like a bit much, especially considering the amount of notable series that are omitted here
I know I sound harsh here, but I'm not trying to **** on your roster - I genuinely love analyzing other people's SEGA rosters, I think it's a really fun way of discussing SEGA and their status in the gaming world. Cause there are a lot - and I mean a lot - of wrongful perceptions of SEGA floating around, and they often bleed into these rosters. I have a lot of issues with this roster, I think it feels a bit too safe and it falls into a lot of the same pitfalls I always see (omitting important IP, weird bias towards Atlus and Platinum, including random unimportant characters over the aforementioned important IP), but I also think it's a roster that seems like it had passion put into it and, with a little more research and a little nudge in the right direction, could turn into something special. This has potential, I just think you should do more research
I think the reason that the Smash fanbase has such a skewed view of Sega is because most of us are from the United States (myself included). The reason these rosters tend to have a lot of genesis/mega drive content is because over here, that's basically what Sega was. The Master System didn't do particularly well over here, but it seems to have been very successful in Europe and South America. The Sega Saturn was shadow dropped and overpriced in the US, but it seems to have done better than the Mega Drive in Japan. The Dreamcast was the best selling non-Genesis Sega system over here, but the PS2 was absolutely dominant and Sega killed it off quick. Arcades aren't very popular in America, so that's another blow to Sega's output.

That's why Americans tend to associate Sega mostly with Sonic, the 4th generation, and the very early multiplat games (billy hatcher, jet set, and monkey ball). The Yakuza series is becoming more popular over here, so things are getting a bit better.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think the thing that benefits a second Sonic character more than Sephiroth proving that third-party franchises can get a second unique character is the success of the recent movies. Sonic is finally just as popular in Japan as he is overseas, which will really help Tails/Knuckles/Eggman compete with other retro Sega characters like Akira, Sakura, and Arle that have more of a cultural legacy in Japan.

Shadow will also get a nice boost in popularity seeing how he's basically confirmed to play some prominent role in Sonic the Hedgehog 3, although it remains to be seen if he'll be as stupid popular in Japan as he is in the West.

That being said, my most-wanted third party is easily a Mega Man X/Zero tag team ala Pokemon Trainer. However, that feels a lot less likely given that X and Zero have to compete against a Resident Evil character, the biggest Japanese franchise not in Smash, and Dante, who was insanely popular during Ultimate's DLC period.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Speed Weed Speed Weed

Seeing your comment about analysing Sega rosters and whatnot, I thought I would bring up an old roster I once did for a hypothetical Sega vs Capcom.
Sega: 15
Sonic the Hedgehog
Shadow the Hedgehog
Dr. Eggman
Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)
Pai Chan or Sarah Byrant (Virtua Fighter)
Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
Sketch Turner (Comix Zone)
NiGHTS (NiGHTS into Dreams)
Centurion (Altered Beast)
Ash Canaan (Phantasy Star Online/Online 2)
Matoi (Phantasy Star 2)
The Magician (House of the Dead)
Gunstar Red (Gunstar Heroes)
Bayonetta

Capcom: 15
Mega Man
Bass (Mega Man)
Dr. Wily
Ryu
Chun-Li
Mike Hagger (Final Fight)
Strider Hiryu
Viewtiful Joe
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Monster Hunter
Hayato Kanzaki or Dr. Bilstein (Star Gladiator)
Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Edward Falcon (Power Stone)
Dante (Devil May Cry)

For the number of characters, they are the same number as Marvel Infinite's base roster. 15 each. That aside, you should be able to see some themes with the characters chosen besides the most obvious ones.
  • Sonic and Megaman, the mascots
  • Shadow and Bass, their notable rivals. I was thinking about Roll in this spot too, with Shadow drawing the parallels toward Maria, but I chose Bass since one, the interactions between him and Shadow talking about Sonic and Megaman, two, it technically adds another villain to the roster and three, Roll had been in 3 crossover games already.
  • Dr. Eggman and Dr. Wily, their main enemies.
  • Ryu and Akira, the main characters of their game.
  • Chun-Li is obvious, but I really don't know who is the more popular one regarding Virtua Fighter, Pai or Sarah. Obviously, Pai also fills the Asian Female Fighter as Chun-Li noticed in Project X Zone 2, but Sarah with Chun-Li could be a reference to the Asian Female Fighter(Chun-Li and Pai) and the Blonde Female Fighter(Sarah and Cammy) tropes that most Fighting games back then tended to have together.
  • Axel Stone and Mike Hagger, the Beat-em-Up team and noted competitors back then. Axel with Mike can also be a reference to Cody.
  • Joe Musashi and Strider Hiryu, the ninja character from very fast-paced action platformer games. Both face against a "Master" and their Organisations, with Strider facing Grand Master Meio and Joe Musashi facing the Shadow Master in Shinobi 3.
  • Sketch Turner and Viewtiful Joe should be pretty obvious, both their games being based around comics/anime/etc and both having a "superhero" form. Viewtiful Joe could also make comments about Sketch Turner's comics.
  • NiGHTS and Morrigan are creatures revolved around dreams, with NiGHTS being a Nightmaren and Morrigan being a Succubus. Both also have a mischievous side to their personalities.
  • Amaterasu and the Centurion from Altered Beast isn't quite an obvious one, but the idea is that both are characters from the past who have been revived to fight against the evil coming upon Earth. Also, Amaterasu is a celestial deity while the Centurion is associated with the Greek gods, with Zeus reviving him.
  • Ash Canaan from Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter, the Avatar characters of their respective games, with the series Monster Hunter having been inspired by Phantasy Star Online. Monster Hunter is the only character that doesn't originate from Earth or has had any interaction to Earth in their series.
    I was also thinking about the possibility of Ash having Sue as a Costume character, although that would have possibly clashed with Ash getting both his PSO2 and PSO designs as costumes.
  • Choosing a 2nd character for Phantasy Star was pretty difficult, between Alis Landale, Matoi, and Nagisa from Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity. The story for the game itself involves Dark Falz/The Profound Darkness coming to Earth and ARKS going to Earth(like in PSO2) to stop them. Matoi herself played a role in stopping Dark Falz Apprentice when they took over a couple of Earth's inhabitants, so I thought Matoi could work with this sort of reference. While Alis and Nagisa never came to Earth in their games, I did think about their situations of that Alis could've been summoned to fight with Dark Falz again while Nagisa sort of has the same sort of idea as Matoi in that both were hosts to the Profound Darkness(or the Dark Falz of Universe in Nagisa's case). Basically, I wanted the 2nd character to be one with a notable history with Dark Falz/The Profound Darkness.
  • It was tough choosing between either Hayato or Bilstein. Hayato sort of connects with Phantasy Star Online as a Sci-fi-like series and the Avatar characters of PSO/PSO2 as he is a bounty hunter who gets missions, sort of like the Quest counters in PSO. He's also an Earth citizen, which can make for interesting interaction with the PSO2 characters, and his Plasma could be compared to Aether from PSO2's Earth.
    Bilstein would be a 2nd true villain for Capcom besides Wily, much like how Sega's side has 2 villains and besides the interactions with the PSO2 characters, he could also be the main antagonist trying to use the Final Bosses for his own ambitions. Also, his interactions with Dr. Wily, Dr. Eggman, and maybe Dr. Curien, especially in comparison to the first two as the first two are more comedic while Bilstein would be alot more radical and serious. And man, you have no idea on how shockingly fitting Sega and Capcom are together until looking at Bilstein and being reminded on how there are so many "Doctor"/Sci-fi villain characters regarding Capcom and Sega. Like if I didn't have the 2 Final Bosses already in mind, you could practically have an "Alliance of Doctors" as a main antagonistic organisation with plenty of "Doctor" characters from Sega and Capcom.
  • The Magician from House of the Dead and Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil, the two series that helped popularise zombie games with their first games. Also, Leon is in his RE4 design and whatnot. He's an Agent. And what's the occupation for the two characters that fight against the Magician? Also, the rather Old Stone Statue-like look the Magician has looks like it could fit with the Castle setting and theme from Resident Evil 4.
  • Gunstar Red from Gunstar Heroes and Edward Falcon from Power Stone. This is not going to be obvious to people who haven't played either. The Gunstars in their game were trying to prevent their evil Empire from recovering 4 powerful gems to revive the Android Golden Silver. Power Stone is about the characters searching for the Power Stones. The dots should connect quite easily after that. That said, in the ENG version of Gunstar Heroes, it was on a different planet, but in the JP story of it, it does take place on Earth.
  • Dante and Bayonetta should be pretty obvious to fans here.
  • The Final Bosses are Dark Falz, the Profound Darkness from Phantasy Star and Yami, the Emperor of Eternal Darkness from Okami, with the True Final Boss being a fusion between them. The idea for the story I had was that Dark Falz ends up noticing the presence of Yami on Earth, so it heads to Earth to try and combine with it due to both being rather "primordial" darkness. Yami is not as enthusiastic, due to Dark Falz being a more "Eldritch" or "foreign" Darkness and takes measures to prevent it, like summoning a dark army, lead by some of the Ark of Yamato monsters like Orochi, as well as Sengoku Basara Oda Nobunaga, to guard it and fight against Dark Falz. To combat against it, Dark Falz attracts the attention of many different characters from Earth, as well as the attention of space groups and solo hunters, like ARKS and Hayato. And obviously, it grabs the attention of some of the villains, including some notable Doctors, like Eggman, Wily, Bilstein, Curien, etc.
    Obviously, story shouldn't be a big detail, especially with a roster this size and maybe Dark Falz and Yami were a choice too early for the first game and maybe the focus on notable Doctor Villains would make for a decent end boss instead. I mean, Dr. Eggman, Wily, Bilstein, Curien/Goldman/The Magician and Guildenstern would be decent villains from the get-go, with the Emperor and Fortinbras as End-game bosses.
And that's mostly the roster I chose and trust me, there are others I would've put in had I had more space. Like Arthur and Gillius Thunderhead, Sakura from Sakura Wars and Jin Saotome from Cyberbots, Alex Kidd and SonSon, Nobunaga from Sengoku Basara and so many fantasy games from both sides, like Dragon's Dogma, Valkyria Chronicles, Breath of Fire, etc. As for Atlus stuff, I wanted to focus on Sega first and foremost before Atlus stuff like Persona and Megami Tensei.
If anything, trying to do this roster showed me how trying to make a roster with actual planning and intention behind character picks really exhausts your mind.
Just curious on whether or not this aged okay. Maybe it did good. Maybe it needs work. What are your thoughts?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think the reason that the Smash fanbase has such a skewed view of Sega is because most of us are from the United States (myself included). The reason these rosters tend to have a lot of genesis/mega drive content is because over here, that's basically what Sega was. The Master System didn't do particularly well over here, but it seems to have been very successful in Europe and South America. The Sega Saturn was shadow dropped and overpriced in the US, but it seems to have done better than the Mega Drive in Japan. The Dreamcast was the best selling non-Genesis Sega system over here, but the PS2 was absolutely dominant and Sega killed it off quick. Arcades aren't very popular in America, so that's another blow to Sega's output.

That's why Americans tend to associate Sega mostly with Sonic, the 4th generation, and the very early multiplat games (billy hatcher, jet set, and monkey ball). The Yakuza series is becoming more popular over here, so things are getting a bit better.
It's also worth noting that Sega itself has done a dubious job putting out legacy content for consoles besides the MegaDrive (Master System slightly excepted). We're only just now getting some Saturn ports, the arcade re-releases are very inconsistent, and even modern Dreamcast versions/compilations are hard to come by depending on the series. There's definitely a lopsided Genesis focus by many fans, but the company has hardly done itself many favors with what its chosen to highlight.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
A second Sonic newcomer would sort of be an interesting first for third parties, depending on whether they're a unique/semi-clone fighter instead of an Echo like Ken.

I think Ken alone is proof that both Nintendo and other third parties are perfectly willing to negotiate for an additional character of the same franchise in Smash. The fact that he's an Echo probably doesn't mean much in regards to that; it's likely that Sakurai and the dev team just wanted to add him because he was a very easy bonus fighter to program.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I agree Kirby is huge, but I cannot picture a reality where Kirby would be justified to have a playable character amount that Fire Emblem has. Bandana Dee is longer overdue, and you could indeed make arguments for yet another newcomer, and maybe a Echo / clone / semi clone in the form of Galactia Knight, but that's it.

I love Donkey Kong too, and it's bigger than both Kirby and Fire Emblem, but add anyone beyond Dixie, Cranky and Funky (who'd be a Echo or clone too) and it's overkill.

The only franchise I could see grow bigger in roster size than Fire Emblem is Zelda honestly.
I think Kirby Deserves 8 Chars (So does Zelda) but im only asking for Dark Matter, Magolor and BWD For now!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Donkey Kong, Zelda, and Super Mario can easily get more characters as is, as can Kirby. The whole "high number per series" really isn't a good measurement either. There's a lot of case-by-case basis to look at. How easy are they to add? How important is each character?

Zelda's like missing 3 major playable versions(regular Pig Ganon being the top one. Impa and Tingle are a bit more minor, but pretty much the biggest in the series). Super Mario is only really missing at best Waluigi, Toad ,and Captain Toad at this point. Pauline too if you don't include her in Donkey Kong. Paper Mario as well, assuming you don't put him in his own series. Donkey Kong is missing Dixie, Cranky, Funky, and as noted, Pauline can be here too. Kirby at the very least should have Bandanna Waddle Dee. You could easily add other notable ones(not necessarily Galacta Knight either. There's some pretty notable characters throughout the franchise).

And that's the main ones who have multiple obvious missing characters. Third parties are a bit different. Sonic has a lot of major characters who could work, but it has yet to get more than Assist Trophies and Trophies/Stickers/Spirits in terms of other characters shown off(well, stage cameos too). Character Songs don't really show up either, if you want to stretch it. MegaMan can go either keeping it to Classic additions, or go from the various parts of the franchise(MegaMan X, MegaMan Zero, Legends, and so on).

You could go on and on about tons of franchises who could easily have more, but those are some pretty noteworthy ones.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Nah, you’ve been cool. I think it’s mostly just recent comments that have been getting to me. I don’t want to call out any names but two people now have told me that my talking about the Battletoads was annoying and I was told the other day that my opinion regarding Conker was laughable. I don’t have any problems with people disagreeing with me as long as we can stay respectful about it. I actually like that people have their own opinions and it’s usually fun trying to express why I feel the way that I do about things. It’s just that I feel like I’ve been repeating myself over and over lately and I don’t think what I’m trying to say is getting through to anyone. That’s probably my fault for not being very good at explaining things.

I think I must not be doing enough job clarifying that what I’m saying are just my personal opinions. I also never tried to claim that the characters I talk about are the most likely choices, just that I think they are possibilities. For some reason, a lot of people tend to interpret that as me thinking that my favorites are the number one most likely option and everyone else is wrong for thinking the early they do. If I’m not allowed to talk about any of my favorite characters without annoying people on here, I’m not sure what’s really left for me to talk about.

I think another thing that’s been pretty discouraging is that almost no one else seems to share my opinions or tastes on characters. That’s actually a good thing when you step back and think about it because it would be boring if everyone felt the same way but it would be nice to at least have someone who shares my views so I don’t feel like I’m crazy.
Honestly, I was just making an observation. But yes, I did feel it was getting repetitive, Didn't particularly help that ever since the Bethesda acquisition, you just kinda switched into this mindset of making Microsoft out to be way more important to the next Smash than they're probably going to actually be, prospects I can't really say I'm invested in on a personal level. But you know, it's just my one opinion. If you wanna keep posting about it, I'm not really stopping you from doing so.

I don't blame you for wanting to take a break, though. I'd be willing to do so myself, but I really don't wanna come back and have to catch up on 10 of these ridiculously long thread pages. As I keep saying, I really wish this place had threads, as they could've kept this place from being the overly jumbled, past-paced mess that it is now.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Just because a franchise is important/big enough to get a ton of reps doesn’t mean it should. For example, Kirby is well represented with just Kirby, Dedede, MK and BWD, other characters that could potentially be added are mostly minor/one-off characters (with some exceptions like Galacta Knight as an echo). Zelda could use another character or two such as Impa, but it honestly really only needs the Triforce trio. Mario is an exception because it’s such a massive franchise with tons of side series and spin off games, some of which that have yet to be represented in a playable form in Smash (Captain Toad, Paper Mario, and Waluigi in place of Piranha Plant with moves inspired by spin-off games.)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Honestly, I was just making an observation. But yes, I did feel it was getting repetitive, Didn't particularly help that ever since the Bethesda acquisition, you just kinda switched into this mindset of making Microsoft out to be way more important to the next Smash than they're probably going to actually be, prospects I can't really say I'm invested in on a personal level. But you know, it's just my one opinion. If you wanna keep posting about it, I'm not really stopping you from doing so.

I don't blame you for wanting to take a break, though. I'd be willing to do so myself, but I really don't wanna come back and have to catch up on 10 of these ridiculously long thread pages. As I keep saying, I really wish this place had threads, as they could've kept this place from being the overly jumbled, past-paced mess that it is now.
To be honest, I don’t care at all about Microsoft as a company. I never did. The only time I ever owned an X-Box was a 360 for a short time in the beginning to play JRPGs like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Enchanted Arms, Final Fantasy XIII, and Tales of Vesperia. My 360 red ringed pretty early on and I never went back. Otherwise, I’ve been purely a Nintendo and PlayStation fan. The only reason I care about RARE is because I’m a Nintendo fan and I played all of their games on Nintendo consoles. That’s why I never really looked at them as Microsoft reps just because they are owned by them but more as part of Nintendo’s past. I don’t know why you keep bringing up Bethesda. The Battletoads have been my brother and my most wanted characters since Smash 64. They just seemed like an impossibility before Banjo and Steve made it in Smash. Now I feel like there is actually some hope so I’m talking about them more.

Anyone who has been following my posts knows that I’ve also been a huge fan of Blizzard’s properties since before Microsoft’s acquisition so I don’t view them that way either. I honestly don’t really ever view characters as company reps at all but rather as characters themselves. It does kind of confuse me how much backlash RARE characters get on a board full of Nintendo fans when Master Chief seems to get near universal support despite never appearing on a Nintendo console and having no history with the company. Crash and Doom Slayer make a lot more sense and would be great choices as well but they’ve always been multi platform and not tied to Nintendo specifically. Crash was originally used as the mascot for PlayStation.

I never even wanted to go on and on about why I felt these characters were deserving. I would have much rather been discussing fun ideas for how they could play, what their stages could be, different costumes, assist trophies, and other things. The only reason why I did was people only seemed interested in telling me that they could never happen and the only possible Microsoft characters were Master Chief, Crash, or Doom Slayer. All I ever tried to do was suggest other possibilities but people seem to get bothered by anything outside of the common speculation bubble.

Last edited:

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo vs. SEGA (Style 4).png

At last, I finished making a 100-man roster for a Nintendo vs. SEGA game. After my first one received some... feedback, I thought I'd go ahead towards making a big roster (and it's the full roster after all DLC). This took until like 9:50pm Australian time, so yeah. Few notes include:
  • The 12 Echo Fighters include: Birdo (for Yoshi), Funky Kong (for K), Celica (for Robin), Ribbon Girl (for Spring Man), Octolings (for Inklings), Captain Rainbow (for C. Falcon), MeeMee (for Aiai), Pudding (for Ulala), Reala (for NiGHTS), Ringo Ando (for Arle Nadja), Gum (for Beat), and Sarah Bryant (for Jacky Bryant)
  • Shoutouts to Captain Toad and Football Manager who were almost in the roster, but I had to cut them for an extra echo (Birdo) and Zephyr (can't remove the first odd pick!); additionally, the Xenoblade and Welkin from Valkyria can be switched out for any other franchise character.
  • From the Nintendo side, exactly 30 characters have been playable in Smash, with 20 of them being playable for the first time.
  • As I'm writing this, I remembered I forgot Astral Chain and Wonderful 101...
Time for more critiques on this NvS roster!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 350867
At last, I finished making a 100-man roster for a Nintendo vs. SEGA game. After my first one received some... feedback, I thought I'd go ahead towards making a big roster (and it's the full roster after all DLC). This took until like 9:50pm Australian time, so yeah. Few notes include:
  • The 12 Echo Fighters include: Birdo (for Yoshi), Funky Kong (for K), Celica (for Robin), Ribbon Girl (for Spring Man), Octolings (for Inklings), Captain Rainbow (for C. Falcon), MeeMee (for Aiai), Pudding (for Ulala), Reala (for NiGHTS), Ringo Ando (for Arle Nadja), Gum (for Beat), and Sarah Bryant (for Jacky Bryant)
  • Shoutouts to Captain Toad and Football Manager who were almost in the roster, but I had to cut them for an extra echo (Birdo) and Zephyr (can't remove the first odd pick!); additionally, the Xenoblade and Welkin from Valkyria can be switched out for any other franchise character.
  • From the Nintendo side, exactly 30 characters have been playable in Smash, with 20 of them being playable for the first time.
why is anges from bravely default on the roster?

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
why is anges from bravely default on the roster?
Not to mention Geno’s presence when Square still owns the rights to him. If anyone should represent a Mario rpg, I’d put someone like Fawful or a Paper Mario representative in his spot.

Vespiquen is also quite an odd choice, when more recognizable and popular Pokémon like Gardevoir, Diancie and Magearna could all also act as good rivals to Yukari.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
View attachment 350867
Honestly I feel like the Square Characters only really work if we were to ever get a Nintendo vs Square. I would advise replacing them.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
View attachment 350867
there are some weird choices but you added vectorman so all is forgiven

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
View attachment 350867
Funky Kong over Diddy AND K.Rool??? Wat?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Apparently, Scout and Soldier are going to be in the Top 3 with Heavy in the Global Smash Roster.
View attachment 350812
I would put that poll with huge grain of salt. Try to rally people from r/halo. We will have different story.
If Nintendo wants to put FPS rep that doesn't have game on their platform, they will simply choose Master Chief.
I can confidently say that there is no way any TF2 rep is happening before Chief.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I still get chills when I think about when they announced Sephiroth.
I'm still pissed it happened during Covid so we didn't get a Nintendo NYC reaction for it...

I would put that poll with huge grain of salt. Try to rally people from r/halo. We will have different story.
If Nintendo wants to put FPS rep that doesn't have game on their platform, they will simply choose Master Chief.
I can confidently say that there is no way any TF2 rep is happening before Chief.
It's pretty clear that one particular fanbase is gaming the **** out of that poll.

There's no way a TF2 character would be in the lead. Much less FIVE TF2 characters in the top 30.

But if you ignore the TF2 characters, the rest of it seems pretty believable.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Speed Weed Speed Weed

Seeing your comment about analysing Sega rosters and whatnot, I thought I would bring up an old roster I once did for a hypothetical Sega vs Capcom.
Sega: 15
Sonic the Hedgehog
Shadow the Hedgehog
Dr. Eggman
Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)
Pai Chan or Sarah Byrant (Virtua Fighter)
Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
Sketch Turner (Comix Zone)
NiGHTS (NiGHTS into Dreams)
Centurion (Altered Beast)
Ash Canaan (Phantasy Star Online/Online 2)
Matoi (Phantasy Star 2)
The Magician (House of the Dead)
Gunstar Red (Gunstar Heroes)
Bayonetta

Capcom: 15
Mega Man
Bass (Mega Man)
Dr. Wily
Ryu
Chun-Li
Mike Hagger (Final Fight)
Strider Hiryu
Viewtiful Joe
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Monster Hunter
Hayato Kanzaki or Dr. Bilstein (Star Gladiator)
Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Edward Falcon (Power Stone)
Dante (Devil May Cry)

For the number of characters, they are the same number as Marvel Infinite's base roster. 15 each. That aside, you should be able to see some themes with the characters chosen besides the most obvious ones.
  • Sonic and Megaman, the mascots
  • Shadow and Bass, their notable rivals. I was thinking about Roll in this spot too, with Shadow drawing the parallels toward Maria, but I chose Bass since one, the interactions between him and Shadow talking about Sonic and Megaman, two, it technically adds another villain to the roster and three, Roll had been in 3 crossover games already.
  • Dr. Eggman and Dr. Wily, their main enemies.
  • Ryu and Akira, the main characters of their game.
  • Chun-Li is obvious, but I really don't know who is the more popular one regarding Virtua Fighter, Pai or Sarah. Obviously, Pai also fills the Asian Female Fighter as Chun-Li noticed in Project X Zone 2, but Sarah with Chun-Li could be a reference to the Asian Female Fighter(Chun-Li and Pai) and the Blonde Female Fighter(Sarah and Cammy) tropes that most Fighting games back then tended to have together.
  • Axel Stone and Mike Hagger, the Beat-em-Up team and noted competitors back then. Axel with Mike can also be a reference to Cody.
  • Joe Musashi and Strider Hiryu, the ninja character from very fast-paced action platformer games. Both face against a "Master" and their Organisations, with Strider facing Grand Master Meio and Joe Musashi facing the Shadow Master in Shinobi 3.
  • Sketch Turner and Viewtiful Joe should be pretty obvious, both their games being based around comics/anime/etc and both having a "superhero" form. Viewtiful Joe could also make comments about Sketch Turner's comics.
  • NiGHTS and Morrigan are creatures revolved around dreams, with NiGHTS being a Nightmaren and Morrigan being a Succubus. Both also have a mischievous side to their personalities.
  • Amaterasu and the Centurion from Altered Beast isn't quite an obvious one, but the idea is that both are characters from the past who have been revived to fight against the evil coming upon Earth. Also, Amaterasu is a celestial deity while the Centurion is associated with the Greek gods, with Zeus reviving him.
  • Ash Canaan from Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter, the Avatar characters of their respective games, with the series Monster Hunter having been inspired by Phantasy Star Online. Monster Hunter is the only character that doesn't originate from Earth or has had any interaction to Earth in their series.
    I was also thinking about the possibility of Ash having Sue as a Costume character, although that would have possibly clashed with Ash getting both his PSO2 and PSO designs as costumes.
  • Choosing a 2nd character for Phantasy Star was pretty difficult, between Alis Landale, Matoi, and Nagisa from Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity. The story for the game itself involves Dark Falz/The Profound Darkness coming to Earth and ARKS going to Earth(like in PSO2) to stop them. Matoi herself played a role in stopping Dark Falz Apprentice when they took over a couple of Earth's inhabitants, so I thought Matoi could work with this sort of reference. While Alis and Nagisa never came to Earth in their games, I did think about their situations of that Alis could've been summoned to fight with Dark Falz again while Nagisa sort of has the same sort of idea as Matoi in that both were hosts to the Profound Darkness(or the Dark Falz of Universe in Nagisa's case). Basically, I wanted the 2nd character to be one with a notable history with Dark Falz/The Profound Darkness.
  • It was tough choosing between either Hayato or Bilstein. Hayato sort of connects with Phantasy Star Online as a Sci-fi-like series and the Avatar characters of PSO/PSO2 as he is a bounty hunter who gets missions, sort of like the Quest counters in PSO. He's also an Earth citizen, which can make for interesting interaction with the PSO2 characters, and his Plasma could be compared to Aether from PSO2's Earth.
    Bilstein would be a 2nd true villain for Capcom besides Wily, much like how Sega's side has 2 villains and besides the interactions with the PSO2 characters, he could also be the main antagonist trying to use the Final Bosses for his own ambitions. Also, his interactions with Dr. Wily, Dr. Eggman, and maybe Dr. Curien, especially in comparison to the first two as the first two are more comedic while Bilstein would be alot more radical and serious. And man, you have no idea on how shockingly fitting Sega and Capcom are together until looking at Bilstein and being reminded on how there are so many "Doctor"/Sci-fi villain characters regarding Capcom and Sega. Like if I didn't have the 2 Final Bosses already in mind, you could practically have an "Alliance of Doctors" as a main antagonistic organisation with plenty of "Doctor" characters from Sega and Capcom.
  • The Magician from House of the Dead and Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil, the two series that helped popularise zombie games with their first games. Also, Leon is in his RE4 design and whatnot. He's an Agent. And what's the occupation for the two characters that fight against the Magician? Also, the rather Old Stone Statue-like look the Magician has looks like it could fit with the Castle setting and theme from Resident Evil 4.
  • Gunstar Red from Gunstar Heroes and Edward Falcon from Power Stone. This is not going to be obvious to people who haven't played either. The Gunstars in their game were trying to prevent their evil Empire from recovering 4 powerful gems to revive the Android Golden Silver. Power Stone is about the characters searching for the Power Stones. The dots should connect quite easily after that. That said, in the ENG version of Gunstar Heroes, it was on a different planet, but in the JP story of it, it does take place on Earth.
  • Dante and Bayonetta should be pretty obvious to fans here.
  • The Final Bosses are Dark Falz, the Profound Darkness from Phantasy Star and Yami, the Emperor of Eternal Darkness from Okami, with the True Final Boss being a fusion between them. The idea for the story I had was that Dark Falz ends up noticing the presence of Yami on Earth, so it heads to Earth to try and combine with it due to both being rather "primordial" darkness. Yami is not as enthusiastic, due to Dark Falz being a more "Eldritch" or "foreign" Darkness and takes measures to prevent it, like summoning a dark army, lead by some of the Ark of Yamato monsters like Orochi, as well as Sengoku Basara Oda Nobunaga, to guard it and fight against Dark Falz. To combat against it, Dark Falz attracts the attention of many different characters from Earth, as well as the attention of space groups and solo hunters, like ARKS and Hayato. And obviously, it grabs the attention of some of the villains, including some notable Doctors, like Eggman, Wily, Bilstein, Curien, etc.
    Obviously, story shouldn't be a big detail, especially with a roster this size and maybe Dark Falz and Yami were a choice too early for the first game and maybe the focus on notable Doctor Villains would make for a decent end boss instead. I mean, Dr. Eggman, Wily, Bilstein, Curien/Goldman/The Magician and Guildenstern would be decent villains from the get-go, with the Emperor and Fortinbras as End-game bosses.
And that's mostly the roster I chose and trust me, there are others I would've put in had I had more space. Like Arthur and Gillius Thunderhead, Sakura from Sakura Wars and Jin Saotome from Cyberbots, Alex Kidd and SonSon, Nobunaga from Sengoku Basara and so many fantasy games from both sides, like Dragon's Dogma, Valkyria Chronicles, Breath of Fire, etc. As for Atlus stuff, I wanted to focus on Sega first and foremost before Atlus stuff like Persona and Megami Tensei.
If anything, trying to do this roster showed me how trying to make a roster with actual planning and intention behind character picks really exhausts your mind.
Just curious on whether or not this aged okay. Maybe it did good. Maybe it needs work. What are your thoughts?
Not the worst roster! I think I'd be much less into it if the matchups weren't there to explain the picks. Sketch is someone I'm normally against but pairing him up with Joe does make sense. I think it would have been more fun to have the two Phantasy reps be one classic and one Online instead of two online, but I respect the decision. Any Gunstar in these rosters is a win in my book, and the Magician??? ****ing based.

I'd probably have done it differently, but this is a good attempt

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the Team Fortress subreddit brigaded the Global Smash Roster I'm pretty sure. I think it has a fairly decent grasp of the pulse of every other character besides Team Fortress characters. Of course it's just a fan website with a pretty loose voting protocol so you can't literally use it as the definitive answer to all popular support Smash advocacy but it's still somewhat interesting to look at. I don't remember Crash being the second most voted character last time I looked at it so that's pretty neat.

So yeah just literally ignore all the Team Fortress characters. I guess that makes Crash number 1 then actually. Extra neato.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
It does kind of confuse me how much backlash RARE characters get on a board full of Nintendo fans when Master Chief seems to get near universal support despite never appearing on a Nintendo console and having no history with the company. Crash and Doom Slayer make a lot more sense and would be great choices as well but they’ve always been multi platform and not tied to Nintendo specifically. Crash was originally used as the mascot for PlayStation.
Pretty cool how Master Chief gets Universal support. As far as Crash honestly i don't think he would be able to get a worthy enough move-set. As for Doom Slayer there is now no way he will be fully playable before Master Chief. Also gameplay for Master Chief in Halo is much better suited to translating to Smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Pretty cool how Master Chief gets Universal support. As far as Crash honestly i don't think he would be able to get a worthy enough move-set. As for Doom Slayer there is now no way he will be fully playable before Master Chief. Also gameplay for Master Chief in Halo is much better suited to translating to Smash.
I'm not expecting them to add Doom Slayer before Master Chief unless the Chief gets the Mii Costume treatment which I highly doubt.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Yeah, a lot of Nintendo characters in Smash are pretty much mainstays at this point and it would feel kind of wrong to remove them. I made a Nintendo Vs. Microsoft roster myself and tried to deviate as much as I could from Smash but those differences ended up disappointing people. I think a lot of people just get used to characters the way they are and don't really want to see too many changes. There are others that find the base Smash roster too boring of a choice for a crossover game so I tried to do my best to satisfy both.

I've shared this already but I spent hours on it and I don't think anyone really noticed it last time so I might as well show it again here since we're on the subject of Nintendo Vs. company crossovers.

View attachment 350777

Here's a few notes on the Nintendo roster changes, since you can't tell based on the images alone:

• Zelda's moveset is completely changed and now summons the Champions for her specials
  • Ganondorf's moveset is revamped and is an amalgamation of all of his incarnations
  • Impa uses her naginata moveset from Hyrule Warriors
  • Pokemon Trainer uses Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur
  • Hisuian Zoroark has a normal Zoroark alt
  • Diddy and Dixie can tag in and out, like a transform mechanic
  • Marth has alt outfits, like Hero of Lucina, Roy, and Chrom
  • The same goes for Fox for Falco, Slippy, and Peppy as well as Star Wolf (assuming the models rig properly)
  • This is also true for the Battletoads in the Microsoft section for Pimple and Zitz
  • Samus' moveset is now based on Metroid Dread and has quite a few changes from Ultimate
  • Dark Samus has a lot of changes as well and is now more faithful to its source material
  • Nia rides on Dromarch's back and the two fight together
  • Officer Howard has a female alt as well as a secret end game armor for both male and female

Nintendo:

1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Bowser
4) Peach
5) Yoshi
6) Wario
7) Link
8) Zelda (with Champions)
9) Ganondorf
10) Impa
11) Pikachu
12) Pokémon Trainer (Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur)
13) Lucario
14) Zoroark/Hisuian Zoroark
15) Donkey Kong
16) Diddy and Dixie Kong
17) King K. Rool (Captain and Baron alts)
18) Fire Emblem Lords (Marth, Roy, Lucina, Chrom)
19) The Black Knight
20) Tharja
21) Edelgarde
22) Kirby
23) King Dedede
24)Meta Knight
25) Samus
26) Ridley
27) Dark Samus
28) Shulk
29) Elma
30) Nia and Dromarch
31) Star Fox/Wolf crew (for members that work)
32) Isabelle
33) Inkling
34) Pit
35) Medusa
36) Olimar
37) Captain Falcon
38) Akira Howard
39) Ness
40) Little Mac
41) Mach Rider
42) Isaac

Microsoft:

1) Master Chief
2) The Arbiter
3) Steve
4) Marcus Fenix
5) General RAAM
6) Ori
7) Cuphead (with Mugman alt)
8) Fable Avatar
9) Crackdown Agent
10) Blinx
11) The Battletoads (alts)
12) The Dark Queen
13) Fulgore
14) Black Orchid
15) Hisako
16) Banjo
17) Gruntilda
18) Conker
19) Joanna Dark
20) Kameo
21) Crash Bandicoot
22) Coco Bandicoot
23) Dr. Neo Cortex
24) Spyro
25) The Lich King
26) Thrall Hellscream
27) Illidan Stormrage
28) Sylvanas Windrunner
29) Sarah Kerrigan
30) Jim Raynor
31) Zeratul
32) Diablo
33) Tracer
34) D.Va
35) Reinhardt
36) Doom Slayer
37) Dovakhiin
38) B.J. Blaskowicz
39) Corvo Attano
40) Vault Boy
41) Raz
42) Clippy
wait is Cuphead owned by Microsoft?

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Massive disagree. I compiled together (appropriating other peoples' work) a moveset for Crash that I packed to the absolute limit fitting all his iconic attacks, weapons, masks, crates and even his CTR boost mechanic spanning over all of his games. I did have to give him a Shield-Special though which has no guarantee of becoming standard in future entries of the franchise. Overall I'm proud of the post because it's very detailed and I timestamp/linked all the appropriate visual references to help the reader visualize it all coming together.

Re-reading it again I'd like to make some improvements to it, namely all the redundant time-stamp text where it's not necessary, the dash-attack description and the confusing description about his "Wumpazooka Side-Special reticle aimer" coupled with the "repurposed function of grab" while in blaster mode (in short basically combine the reticle aimer with the "kneed" stationary position I was dreaming up into a single Wumpazooka Side-Special input) but I did my best with it at the time of posting and wanted to be done with it. I'll get around to prettying up that post. I want to do something similar with Chief but I'll have much fewer visual references to work with for that one.

Whether you decide to read it or not I still think Crash can have anything ranging from a very basic moveset to the extremely packed one I theorized for him while still being fun.

https://smashboards.com/threads/nex...iscussion-thread.515747/page-29#post-24599158

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Anyone who has been following my posts knows that I’ve also been a huge fan of Blizzard’s properties since before Microsoft’s acquisition so I don’t view them that way either. I honestly don’t really ever view characters as company reps at all but rather as characters themselves. It does kind of confuse me how much backlash RARE characters get on a board full of Nintendo fans when Master Chief seems to get near universal support despite never appearing on a Nintendo console and having no history with the company. Crash and Doom Slayer make a lot more sense and would be great choices as well but they’ve always been multi platform and not tied to Nintendo specifically. Crash was originally used as the mascot for PlayStation.
Warcraft hasn't even set foot on Nintendo platform in any form. You were wondering why Warcraft doesn't get as much as support as other characters. So, there is your answer. The moment Snake set foot on Smash already shattered Nintendo legacy reasoning as MGS started on MSX2.
At least, we can make case for Halo via Minecraft and Fortnite

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
You'd have to be completely clueless about DOOM to be saying that. Gameplay-wise, they're BOTH suited for Smash. And with Doom Slayer already being a Mii costume, I say he's far more likely to become a fully playable character as opposed to Master Chief, who doesn't have any games on Nintendo consoles.

And what in the world do you mean "worthy enough moveset"? Crash can easily work in Smash and that's all that matters.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Warcraft hasn't even set foot on Nintendo platform in any form. You were wondering why Warcraft doesn't get as much as support as other characters. So, there is your answer. The moment Snake set foot on Smash already shattered Nintendo legacy reasoning as MGS started on MSX2.
At least, we can make case for Halo via Minecraft and Fortnite
I don’t think anyone wants Master Chief in Smash because he was in Minecraft or Fortnight. I’m also pretty sure the desire to see him in Smash pre-dated his appearance in either of those games. I don’t think that really counts for much so Halo and WarCraft are in the same boat for me. That’s why I usually lean towards StarCraft between the two due to the N64 game.

I’m also totally fine with Chief, Crash, or Doom Guy in Smash, but it just bothers me that I get called out as a Microsoft shill for supporting RARE and Blizzard characters when everyone else that supports those three seem to get a pass.

I do plan to take a break for about a week to clear my head but I’ll still post if people quote me directly just to respond and try to explain myself. Otherwise, I won’t really be posting much of anything for now. Once I’m back to posting regularly, I’m just going to give up trying to explain myself and defend my opinions. If people try to tell me my characters are impossible, I’m just going to ignore them and move on because my explanations aren’t doing any good.

Top Bottom