• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Cross Chop is Fighting-type, it just had a firey effect added to it for Smash. They probably did this (along with Revenge) so Incineroar had some fire in its moveset, but in general, Incineroar doesn't focus on using fire.
Oh interesting. I didn’t realize that move was Cross Chop. I think it would have been cool to have it shoot flames out of its belt like in the concept art but it didn’t quite fit the grappler theme they were going for.

1729628178763.jpeg

Vroom vroom.
Lol, that’s what I get for typing on my phone. It’s so easy to type the wrong letter when they’re so close to each other :p

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Oh interesting. I didn’t realize that move was Cross Chop. I think it would have been cool to have it shoot flames out of its belt like in the concept art but it didn’t quite fit the grappler theme they were going for.

View attachment 395470
They still could've incorporated it somehow, maybe in a throw or Smash attack. Just seems like they missed an opportunity.

Give me my flaming pelvic thrusts!

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Made a stupid silly roster for fun
View attachment 395471
I think I COOKED
Yesterday i made mine (posted it on FamiBoards)
Super Smash Bros. Generations.png

Two Pokémon is kinda bad (at least i didn't use placeholders)

Used ConnorRentz' Roster Builder and SourceGaming's stash for roster directs to create such a monster of a Character Select Screen.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
My theory is that it was a remaster of Kid Icarus Uprising. It's something that it makes sense Nintendo would ask Sakurai to make, it's something that's already in the rumor mill (with the rumors about Namco developing a 3D action game remaster for Nintendo)and it would explain why Sakurai said he was able to finish the project proposal in "record time" - because there probably wouldn't be all that much to it. It probably wouldn't take too terribly long to develop, either - I think it was mostly done by late 2023. It's pretty obvious what Sakurai started working on at this point - what with Studio S and the small content updates for Ultimate. As for why we haven't seen it yet - Nintendo is known for sitting on mostly complete games, especially remasters and remakes. They're probably waiting for a dry spell to drop it.
I just watched the video.
Screenshot_20241022-164156-761.png

...never mind lol!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
View attachment 395472

Used ConnorRentz' Roster Builder and SourceGaming's stash for roster directs to create such a monster of a Character Select Screen.
We have more Sonic characters than Pokemon characters.

:(

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Incineroar, Mr. Fighter #69, Mr. Hilariously Raunchy Google Name Translation, had a fiery crotch bang F Smash, Nintendo would never hear the end of it.

Also one of, if not the favorite fighter of mine would have a fiery crotch bang F Smash and I'd have to look at it every time I play. I am so glad they nixed that idea. lol

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
If Incineroar, Mr. Fighter #69, Mr. Hilariously Raunchy Google Name Translation, had a fiery crotch bang F Smash, Nintendo would never hear the end of it.

Also one of, if not the favorite fighter of mine would have a fiery crotch bang F Smash and I'd have to look at it every time I play. I am so glad they nixed that idea. lol
The pelvic thrust thing is probably the only element of a character's home series appearance that I'm grateful for being missing in the Smash incarnation.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman

So much speculation, yet we couldn't even predict the Smash Bros Cafe.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

New Smash Bros. stage just dropped IRL

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Not just a cafe, it's a whole-ass hotel
" provision of accommodation in a hotel, intermediation or brokerage of contracts for the provision of accommodation, brokerage of hotel reservations
Those little shampoo and bodywash bottles are gonna be untouched by every single customer

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

Welcome Back, Caffe Verona

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
" provision of accommodation in a hotel, intermediation or brokerage of contracts for the provision of accommodation, brokerage of hotel reservations
Those little shampoo and bodywash bottles are gonna be untouched by every single customer
Wait, a hotel... with a Smash trademark?

It's not quite a Smash Mansion, but does this count?

Laniv

Smash Champion

Looking into this, it's not just Smash Bros. There also exist trademarks under the same category of "hotels and accommodations" for Pikmin:

Animal Crossing:

And possibly Splatoon:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
They better have a Toaster room.

1729637722689.png

SharkLord

Smash Hero
View attachment 395472

Only 46 characters seems pretty dang crunched, all things considered. Even accounting for Ultimate being a once-a-generation event, I don't think we'll dip that far down unless it's a genuine reboot with a completely revamped gameplay style. Excluding Echoes, Smash 4 launched with 49 characters and Ultimate released with 69; My bet's that next game will hover around the 50-60 range

Ivander

Smash Legend
If it doesn't have the Bayonetta Honeymoon Suite I'm not going.
Pfft, it should the Fire Emblem Suite, with four categories consisting of C-Ranks, B-Ranks, A-Ranks and S-Ranks.

Edit: C'mon! No one posted when I was looking at similar words to Suite, but I get robbed seconds before I post my version of the same joke. :skull:

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
All I'm asking is that pool have some Wave Race art to it. Doesn't even have to be a wavepool, just get me colorful helmeted people on jet skis as an aesthetic around the water area and I'll happy.
You'll get Animal Crossing because of the diving mechanic and you will enjoy it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Now that I have time to respond...

I don't think the new game is Smash.

Smash pretty consistently releases two years-ish into a console's lifespan; Even Ultimate was only half a year early. I could see Nintendo wanting a new Smash as a launch title, but it's also entirely possible they wanted Sakurai to make a different game instead, like with Kid Icarus: Uprising. Plus, Bandai-Namco's S Team was only announced in 2023, a good while after the "secret project" started development.

That said, Ultimate did sell outrageously well. Like I said, Nintendo might look at that and think "Well golly gee, we've got a system seller on our hands! Why the hell aren't we leading with this?!" It's entirely possible that the development of Smash 6 is underway after all.

That said, I'm still erring on the side of "it's something else." Work on a unique new launch title for 2025 - Perhaps a new Kid Icarus, even? - Then shift gears to Smash 6, aiming for a 2027 release. That lines up more with what little we know.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Smash pretty consistently releases two years-ish into a console's lifespan; Even Ultimate was only half a year early. I could see Nintendo wanting a new Smash as a launch title, but it's also entirely possible they wanted Sakurai to make a different game instead, like with Kid Icarus: Uprising. Plus, Bandai-Namco's S Team was only announced in 2023, a good while after the "secret project" started development.

That said, Ultimate did sell outrageously well. Like I said, Nintendo might look at that and think "Well golly gee, we've got a system seller on our hands! Why the hell aren't we leading with this?!" It's entirely possible that the development of Smash 6 is underway after all.

That said, I'm still erring on the side of "it's something else." Work on a unique new launch title for 2025 - Perhaps a new Kid Icarus, even? - Then shift gears to Smash 6, aiming for a 2027 release. That lines up more with what little we know.
Given that Sakurai said this secret project may be announced sooner or later, this may imply it's far enough in development to basically be confidently shown and, if it's a Nintendo game, that means it's in post-production.

There is a good chance that, if you are correct, Sakurai has finished working on that secret projected and already moved on to working on another project (likely Smash) as we speak, if not something he would do soon.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.

I don't think the next Sakurai game is a new Smash Bros. game, either. That is too obvious to the point of being certainly wrong to me, if you know what I mean. Whatever the case, if Sakurai were to develop a new Smash Bros. game, it would probably have to be after this new game like with Kid Icarus: Uprising and Smash Bros. 4, even though I acknowledge what you said, which is "It's entirely possible that the development of Smash 6 is underway after all.".

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
if it's a Nintendo game, that means it's in post-production.
That might be jumping the gun given KIU took 3.5 years to make as a 3DS game, but on the other hand if it's a KIU remake/sequel he wouldn't be needing to spend time trying to reimagine the world/gameplay of Kid Icarus.

And something like Meteos shouldn't even take as long as it's apparently taking this game that had its project plan completed 3 years ago.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Now that I think about it I'd love to see another Retro Revival™ from Sakurai. Very interested on what a modern take on Balloon Fight would look like.
Yeah, I would love that too. Especially since it would make Balloon Fighter from that game have a better chance of getting into Smash Bros. as a playable character...

...And that alone, is not the only reason at all as to why I would like to see a Balloon Fight game by Sakurai himself.

Top Bottom