• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Maybe I'm projecting my own feelings onto Sakurai here, but I believe he's gone on record saying that he'd definitely have fighters for ARMS and XC2 in the base game if the roster was set just a bit later. I wonder if for Smash 6, he'd want to make sure early releases get proper representation this time around. Hold out a bit, see what the early Switch 2 lineup looks like. Obviously Nintendo's calling the shots, but I'm sure they respect him enough to give at least some say, especially seeing as KI:U was warmly recieved in it's own right.

...Side note, remember that one roster I kept posting and re-editing?
HyperSmashBrosDX.png

I designed it as a semi-realistic roster, made to represent the end-of-Switch era. I always thought that realistically we'd have a couple Switch 2 reps - Funky new IP launch title, new Pokemon, new Fire Emblem - But if the off-chance that we're getting Smash 6 as a launch year title, this... Might actually be somewhat accurate after all? Obviously Sakurai won't make the same decisions as me - I doubt we're seeing so many Pokemon cuts, and the handling of third-parties is still up in the air - But I might be able to just use this as a big bingo card and see how much I got right after all.

Assuming that the secret project is actually Smash after all, of course. But it's still funny to think about

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
Maybe I'm projecting my own feelings onto Sakurai here, but I believe he's gone on record saying that he'd definitely have fighters for ARMS and XC2 in the base game if the roster was set just a bit later. I wonder if for Smash 6, he'd want to make sure early releases get proper representation this time around. Hold out a bit, see what the early Switch 2 lineup looks like. Obviously Nintendo's calling the shots, but I'm sure they respect him enough to give at least some say, especially seeing as KI:U was warmly recieved in it's own right.

...Side note, remember that one roster I kept posting and re-editing?View attachment 395483
I designed it as a semi-realistic roster, made to represent the end-of-Switch era. I always thought that realistically we'd have a couple Switch 2 reps - Funky new IP launch title, new Pokemon, new Fire Emblem - But if the off-chance that we're getting Smash 6 as a launch year title, this... Might actually be somewhat accurate after all? Obviously Sakurai won't make the same decisions as me - I doubt we're seeing so many Pokemon cuts, and the handling of third-parties is still up in the air - But I might be able to just use this as a big bingo card and see how much I got right after all.

Assuming that the secret project is actually Smash after all, of course. But it's still funny to think about
Nice. On top of tat, nice on including Blood Falcon as an echo of Captain Falcon!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

...Side note, remember that one roster I kept posting and re-editing?View attachment 395483

mimikyu

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Since I limited myself to four non-Echo fighters a series, I had to revamp the Pokemon lineup. Pikachu was a given, and for the other three I checked the 2020 PotY poll since that was the most comprehensive one, and found the top three were Greninja, Lucario, and... Mimikyu. So I thought "Screw it, Mimikyu time."

The Pokemon rep I have is honestly the least realisic part of the roster, but eh. I thought it'd be fun.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Saying this now, it's basically confirmed to not be Smash for the simple reasoning of his wording. Sakurai's wording has a large heir of uncertainty to it. Simply having that "assuming we're able to get it made" in there immediately makes me think it isn't Smash because Smash would feel more certain, like the era of his Famitsu columns inbetween the for duology and Ultimate he did that and said things about the title's development with certainty iirc. Which makes me think that Sakurai is making something entirely original, or at least some revival. The team needing time to form too, as well as the ambition, are also things that make me think this isn't Smash. Nintendo knows topping Ultimate is stupid unlikely so they're going to sit on Smash for I bit I think.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Re: Nintendo Hotel
This Nintendo ventures like Theme Parks and Museums are fun. But then i remembered that SNK did the same during their peak.
Please Ninty, don't repeat the history

Re: One-off 1st Party game revival
Urban Champion reboot co-developed with ArcSys please

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I mean yeah, sure, but also that bit about "needing time to form a new team". If it was Smash they would've just kept everyone from Ultimate's DLC and gotten a few new hirees and maybe some extras in the company to start development on it. The fact that they needed time to form a team alone tells me this ain't Smash. Also it's not Kid Icarus either since if it was, I doubt Sakurai would be allowed to say anything on wanting Uprising to get a remaster.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean yeah, sure, but also that bit about "needing time to form a new team". If it was Smash they would've just kept everyone from Ultimate's DLC and gotten a few new hirees and maybe some extras in the company to start development on it. The fact that they needed time to form a team alone tells me this ain't Smash. Also it's not Kid Icarus either since if it was, I doubt Sakurai would be allowed to say anything on wanting Uprising to get a remaster.
Eh, I could see it. Working on a new Kid Icarus doesn't mean they're working on a remaster at the same time; If anything that leaves them with even less room to work. Sakurai might be thinking "Our new Kid Icarus is really good, but man, I wish we could remaster the original."

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Eh, I could see it. Working on a new Kid Icarus doesn't mean they're working on a remaster at the same time; If anything that leaves them with even less room to work. Sakurai might be thinking "Our new Kid Icarus is really good, but man, I wish we could remaster the original."
I would imagine Nintendo would at least be nice enough to tell Sakurai about a potential Uprising remaster, even if he ends up working on an actual sequel instead.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I'm still hoping that one day Nintendo will do a reboot of The Mysterious Murasame Castle with Atsushi Inaba (PlatinumGames) and Suda51 (Grasshopper Manufacture). Takamaru could probably use some worldwide recognition.

Oh, and maybe a StarTropics remake would be pretty cool too.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I would imagine Nintendo would at least be nice enough to tell Sakurai about a potential Uprising remaster, even if he ends up working on an actual sequel instead.
Yeah, I'd imagine Sakurai would be involved to some degree for a remaster. So if Nintendo directly asked him to make a sequel, there probably isn't a remaster in the works. Hence his wishing they could remaster Kid Icarus for the Switch

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, I'd imagine Sakurai would be involved to some degree for a remaster. So if Nintendo directly asked him to make a sequel, there probably isn't a remaster in the works. Hence his wishing they could remaster Kid Icarus for the Switch
I don't think Sakurai would be manipulative enough to be like "okay, let's talk about a remaster that's not happening since it's technically not breaking the NDA that we're making a sequel."

Like, I know some people would say he's a troll or a liar but like, whenever he's doing that, it's usually just a joke that he says the punchline of 5 seconds later. If he's talking about Kid Icarus in any way, we're not getting any Kid Icarus game, at least not from him.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't think Sakurai would be manipulative enough to be like "okay, let's talk about a remaster that's not happening since it's technically not breaking the NDA that we're making a sequel."

Like, I know some people would say he's a troll or a liar but like, whenever he's doing that, it's usually just a joke that he says the punchline of 5 seconds later. If he's talking about Kid Icarus in any way, we're not getting any Kid Icarus game, at least not from him.
I don't think it's that deep; The way I see it, there is no Uprising remaster in the works, and he wishes there was, and so he laments about that in his videos. Doesn't take a troll to do that, I don't think.

That said I'm not a legal scholar, so I can't say if discussing a hypothetical remaster for a game violates the NDA for a sequel to said game :drshrug:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't think it's that deep; The way I see it, there is no Uprising remaster in the works, and he wishes there was, and so he laments about that in his videos. Doesn't take a troll to do that, I don't think.

That said I'm not a legal scholar, so I can't say if discussing a hypothetical remaster for a game violates the NDA for a sequel to said game :drshrug:
Either way, we can agree it's not Kid Icarus, and the fact that a whole team had to be made might also cross Smash off the list.

If it were Smash, I doubt it would take six entire months to get the Ultimate devs out of Tekken Project after Harada took them back to working with Sakurai. Maybe it could take a couple of weeks but not an entire half year.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I’d like to see Sakurai’s take on Custom Robo.

I’d like to see Sakurai’s writing in a story mode in a more modern/futuristic setting. I’d also be interested in evolving and expanding Custom Robo’s gameplay to accommodate many players for online play.

I basically just want Uprisings multiplayer with robots.
As much as I'd like to see it, the company Noise, the company behind the Custom Robo games, is currently handling the Dragon Quest of the Stars game in Japan and the main people behind Custom Robo have left Noise(the main guy behind the series even did his own attempt of doing a Custom Robo-like game called Synaptic Drive and while the gameplay was received positively from fans of Custom Robo's gameplay, everything else....not so much). And I don't think Nintendo would want to do Custom Robo without the main developer.
Sure, Wayforward worked on the Advance Wars remake, but Intelligent Systems is still very active and could still overview the remake. Like for many remakes and new Nintendo games like Metroid Dread, Famicom Detective Club, Another Code, the big thing to note is that while they were developed by 3rd Party developers, the main developers of those games, whether at their original company(like Yoshio Sakamoto) or at a new company(like some of Cing's former employees now at Arc System Works), were still there to work on and oversee the games. And sadly, that just makes the likelihood of Custom Robo coming back even harder when Noise is currently working with a Dragon Quest mobile game and the main developer is not with the company anymore.

Man, I miss Custom Robo. Like really...why did it suddenly stop after Arena? 😔

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
As much as I'd like to see it, the company Noise, the company behind the Custom Robo games, is currently handling the Dragon Quest of the Stars game in Japan and the main people behind Custom Robo have left Noise(the main guy behind the series even did his own attempt of doing a Custom Robo-like game called Synaptic Drive and while the gameplay was received positively from fans of Custom Robo's gameplay, everything else....not so much). And I don't think Nintendo would want to do Custom Robo without the main developer.
Sure, Wayforward worked on the Advance Wars remake, but Intelligent Systems is still very active and could still overview the remake. Like for many remakes and new Nintendo games like Metroid Dread, Famicom Detective Club, Another Code, the big thing to note is that while they were developed by 3rd Party developers, the main developers of those games, whether at their original company(like Yoshio Sakamoto) or at a new company(like some of Cing's former employees now at Arc System Works), were still there to work on and oversee the games. And sadly, that just makes the likelihood of Custom Robo coming back even harder when Noise is currently working with a Dragon Quest mobile game and the main developer is not with the company anymore.

With that logic Donkey Kong Country would have never come back, because of Rare being bought by Microsoft.

Also the director and game designers of the original Kid Icarus did not have any involvement with Uprising either.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
With that logic Donkey Kong Country would have never come back, because of Rare being bought by Microsoft.

Also the director and game designers of the original Kid Icarus did not have any involvement with Uprising either.
Except Donkey Kong was always Nintendo's and was worked on by Nintendo originally. And obviously, they lost Rare to be able to make more titles later. They did try to move from the DK games from Rare, with how we got the Donkey Konga games, Jungle Beat, Jungle Climber, King of Swing and Barrel Blast, but obviously, those didn't hit with their audience(aside from Jungle Beat for the most part), hence why they had Retro make a DKC game after they finished with Metroid for the time. But if the rumors imply anything, Nintendo seems to still want to do something notably different with DK than keep him to DKC.

For Kid Icarus, Kid Icarus Uprising was to Kid Icarus what Donkey Kong Country was to Donkey Kong, with a different team making a drastically different game. Even then, the only reason Uprising even became Kid Icarus was because it was suggested to become a Kid Icarus game after it's gameplay and whatnot was figured out. Not unlike a number of other games that were changed to a Nintendo IP, like Dinosaur Planet to Star Fox Assault, although for different reasons.
That said, it also didn't help that some of the main team for Kid Icarus did die or leave the company, like the main director for Kid Icarus. And that Kid Icarus only had 2 games, one of which is mostly ignored by Nintendo and was ignored by Uprising in regards to continuity.

Custom Robo always had the same team and the same makers through all of their games, much like how every Fire Emblem game has Intelligent Systems and how every Kirby game has HAL Laboratory. And with how the main director made Synaptic Drive, the Custom Robo-like game after he left Noise, it feels like they wanted to do another Custom Robo game, but Nintendo, for one reason or another, just didn't seem to want to after Custom Robo Arena. And now Noise is stuck to the one Dragon Quest mobile game(seriously, if you look at their website, the Dragon Quest mobile game is the only game that they seem to have been working on since it's release) and some of the main team behind Custom Robo is no longer there.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Videogames about robots dont tend to sell very well outside of Asia (unless its Megaman)

Custom robo, LBX, Medabots.

All of them thrown to the wayside in the west.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Who is that Ratchet character besides Sakura? That’s the only character I can’t recognize exactly.
It’s Sakura’s rival from Sakura Wars the movie, Ratchet Altair.
scans for Hayabusa
no Hayabusa detected
cooking recognition denied

banquet served
That is a lotta characters WHOA.

Dig the choices tho

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If Incineroar, Mr. Fighter #69, Mr. Hilariously Raunchy Google Name Translation, had a fiery crotch bang F Smash, Nintendo would never hear the end of it.

Also one of, if not the favorite fighter of mine would have a fiery crotch bang F Smash and I'd have to look at it every time I play. I am so glad they nixed that idea. lol
At least it's not Typhlosion. :p

The new game.... will be...

Ice Climbers Reclimbening
Waluigi's Wrecking Crew!

PersonAngelo53

Smash Cadet
It’s Sakura’s rival from Sakura Wars the movie, Ratchet Altair.

That is a lotta characters WHOA.

Dig the choices tho
Ah thanks I see now. Haven’t gotten into the Sakura wars series yet so didn’t know of her character. My experience with Sakura Wars mostly ends with the project x zone games which I did play at least but am pretty sure she didn’t appear in those games out of the other characters from the series.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ah thanks I see now. Haven’t gotten into the Sakura wars series yet so didn’t know of her character. My experience with Sakura Wars mostly ends with the project x zone games which I did play at least but am pretty sure she didn’t appear in those games out of the other characters from the series.
She's pretty much the main connection to previous games that the fifth game has. It's mostly an original cast otherwise

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I am of the opinion that in order to make Incineroar truly game accurate, every time he spawns/respawns the physical attacks of the enemy should be cut in half for 30 seconds.

Additionally, one of his taunts should allow him to eat a berry and heal 25% back.

I believe this would in fact be a healthy addition to the meta considering how good it's been for Pokemon!
1729656928674.png

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
That said, it also didn't help that some of the main team for Kid Icarus did die or leave the company, like the main director for Kid Icarus. And that Kid Icarus only had 2 games, one of which is mostly ignored by Nintendo and was ignored by Uprising in regards to continuity.
To be fair to Myths and Monsters, it also just never came out in Japan until February 8th 2012 on 3DS Virtual Console to commemorate Uprising which came out a month and a half later at the end of March the same year, and I don't think it even got localized when it released (as in I think it released in English since it only came out in the west lol), so it probably wouldn't have been a good idea to follow up on it anyway.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I am of the opinion that in order to make Incineroar truly game accurate, every time he spawns/respawns the physical attacks of the enemy should be cut in half for 30 seconds.

Additionally, one of his taunts should allow him to eat a berry and heal 25% back.

I believe this would in fact be a healthy addition to the meta considering how good it's been for Pokemon!
View attachment 395486
Give him Fake Out too. Why not?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Believe it or not, I'm kinda hoping the new project isn't Smash. Like, obviously I want a new game eventually, but I would've wanted more time between the end of Ultimate and the beginning of the next game. Largely to give Sakurai a break from Smash, but also because the time gap could produce more potential newcomers.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Also, don't discount that a lot of his videos may have been banked from earlier, at least in terms of scripting and shooting.
Eeeyup

I know this was different than a game, but I feel like it's frequently underestimated how early things that eventually get revealed were decided upon.

Like, if support gets a character included, that support was from several years earlier. Meaning expecting your support to impact the current game in its current state is misguided. Your support, if it makes a difference, probably won't actually be seen for years to come.

The years demand will likely be drawn from for the next Smash is, I imagine, from between Ultimate's initial public rollout to Sora - depending on what they're looking for.

Any demand now or going forward will probably be reflected, at the earliest, as later DLC. Or as a consolation, supporting role.

Royaru

Smash Cadet
I'm not so sure that Sakurai's project is Smash 6, but I also don't doubt that the next Smash is already in development. On the one hand, we have the obvious, Smash sells millions and Nintendo is not going to let this ship pass in the first two years of the console, at most it would come out in the third year. On the other hand, why did they have to wait to form the team? If it was Smash but NB needed the team for Tekken 8, they could have simply delayed Tekken 8 a bit and gone slower in the development of both games.

My theory is that Sakurai is looking for successors like the rest of Nintendo's creatives are, and that this new project is NOT Smash but a different project, whether it be KI, a new revival or a new IP with a very young team, whether from Nintendo, Hal laboratory or Studio 2S. On the other hand, I don't doubt that the next Smash has been in development since at least late 2023 when the existence of Studio 2S was confirmed, perhaps Sakurai is currently acting on this Smash as a supervisor while he finishes this mysterious project and as soon as he finishes it he joins the team as co-director.

If this new project is a new KI, they can reuse many things just like they did with KI:U and Smash For, in this way both projects could progress in parallel, so that in 2025 we could have this mysterious project and in 2026 or early 2027 have the next Smash.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I kind of want it to be a non-Nintendo project, like a PlayStation Studios published game, just because I think that would be interesting and I'd be curious to see what Sakurai could do outside of Nintendo's normal constraints. That's pretty unlikely though.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I kind of want it to be a non-Nintendo project, like a PlayStation Studios published game, just because I think that would be interesting and I'd be curious to see what Sakurai could do outside of Nintendo's normal constraints. That's pretty unlikely though.
Unlikely but not impossible. Meteos 2 is coming :4pacman:

Top Bottom