• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
For what it's worth I feel like the team considers gameplay/usage a lot more than we think. I wouldn't be surprised if the team was looking at play rates and going "Wow, literally no one plays Lucario and Junior, they're just taking up space" and penalizing them as such.

I feel like this is the thing that makes me confident Junior's still below Rosalina and now that I think about it, I could easily see that penalizing Lucario to the point he falls below like, Greninja, maybe Mewtwo too. Even going back to Melee era, I think this might have had a factor in Mewtwo getting MewZero'd in Brawl, from what I've heard he was infamously unpopular in Melee

Of course we can't discount external stuff either, but I think the team pays attention to this more than we do.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I think creating a roster that's halfway realistic in terms of how many characters we can actually get when they start making cuts without cutting more than one, two, even three or more Mario characters renders the scenario of minimal loss unrealistic, tbh.

It's easy to look at the Mario series and see how basically all of them are well qualified to be there (esp once you get past PP and Doc), but the actual perspective is going to be who gets priority in the face of time and resources forcing more than a handful of cuts.

That's when the question shifts from "do they merit inclusion?" (which obv basically all of them do) to "would they be higher priority than x?".
I usually just don't dabble in who has higher priority than who because tbh it's a bit of a crapshoot with Smash and there's really no way to tell until it happens, because if you ask most people, they would definitely bring Mewtwo back, but based on precedent with his priority, he's been beaten out by Jigglypuff at least twice. Jigglypuff is one of the original 12 so that probably plays a part, but yeah. Also applies to Wolf a bit since he was low priority in Brawl and then missed out on Smash 4's veteran DLC to Roy and Lucas, even though most people I think would rather keep Wolf.

Since the next Smash is still being developed in part by Bandai Namco (presumably, given the creation of Studio S), I'm also slightly of the opinion that we may end up with a bigger roster than we think, but I have no real way to quantify that beyond still having the assets to tweak however they want for a new game. I don't think we're getting EiH2 or anything, but development of vets may be easier/more streamlined this time than previously, so I guess I'm more in the "no way to tell" category lol

Last edited:

RykZyk

Smash Cadet
Wow! Slime is as big as Mario in that picture. If I'm not wrong Nintendo cosidered it already as a potential fighter. If THAT is the consideration Nintendo has for Slime I'm enough sure he could join the roster in the next Smash.
Sakurai actually considered the Slime to be the DQ rep in case Square didn't allow him to use the Heroes.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I just had a thought… Smash doesn't seem to have a lot of third-party items (aside from Assist Trophies). So I've come up with two new items from Metal Gear for Smash:

Mk22 Hush Puppy - This non-lethal pistol, which has been used since Metal Gear Solid 3 (they started using tranquilizer guns in Metal Gear Solid 2), deals 2% damage to your opponents and puts them to sleep. Literally. Your opponent will be asleep for 5 seconds. While carrying it, you can press and hold A to aim with it, which can also be done while moving around. It can be used up to 20 times, and the suppressor will wear off after 10 times.

Stealth Camouflage - Otherwise known as optic camouflage, a special item used throughout the series, and I think it's unlocked by beating the game. Like the Cloaking Device from Melee (originally from Perfect Dark), it will turn the user invisible for 30 seconds. Maybe they could use this if they can't bring back the Cloaking Device.

So what do you think?

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel like this is the thing that makes me confident Junior's still below Rosalina and now that I think about it
Is Rosalina really more popular to play than Bowser Jr?? I'd honestly suggest the opposite, although I don't see either of them very much. Several of my friends have a pocket Junior and none of them touch Rosalina. The only reason I suggested Rosalina might be more valuable than Junior is because she has a unique gameplay mechanic to her, so if gameplay variety is weighed heavily against simple series prominence then she may be the pick (if push came to shove). Not every character NEEDS to have a flourishing playerbase, but if that's the case they'd optimally be fulfilling a specialized role / archetype.

Given the fact that neither are especially popular choices I felt like that makes things a bit more fluid, but I don't think popularity is necessarily something that Rosalina has over him. She has one of the most specialized, beginner-unfriendly kits in the game and Bowser Jr is an easy enough pick up and play styled character who just struggles to stand out among the crowd. So unpopular for different reasons I suppose.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Is Rosalina really more popular to play than Bowser Jr?? I'd honestly suggest the opposite, although I don't see either of them very much. Several of my friends have a pocket Junior and none of them touch Rosalina. The only reason I suggested Rosalina might be more valuable than Junior is because she has a unique gameplay mechanic to her, so if gameplay variety is weighed heavily against simple series prominence then she may be the pick (if push came to shove). Not every character NEEDS to have a flourishing playerbase, but if that's the case they'd optimally be fulfilling a specialized role / archetype.

Given the fact that neither are especially popular choices I felt like that makes things a bit more fluid, but I don't think popularity is necessarily something that Rosalina has over him. She has one of the most specialized, beginner-unfriendly kits in the game and Bowser Jr is an easy enough pick up and play styled character who just struggles to stand out among the crowd. So unpopular for different reasons I suppose.
It's anecdotal but I've absolutely seen more Rosalina players online than Bowser Jr. ones (and the Koopalings even less so). And considering Rosalina is part of an incredibly technical character archetype which could explain lower numbers...and Bowser Jr. seems comparable in number if not lower, despite the lack of that skill barrier...I guess he just didn't click with a lot of people.

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
It's anecdotal but I've absolutely seen more Rosalina players online than Bowser Jr. ones (and the Koopalings even less so). And considering Rosalina is part of an incredibly technical character archetype which could explain lower numbers...and Bowser Jr. seems comparable in number if not lower, despite the lack of that skill barrier...I guess he just didn't click with a lot of people.
To add, it feels like people respect Rosalina's implementation more than Junior's. This is anecdotal but my friend group makes fun of Junior's kit all the time for being "boring", while they don't seem to dislike Rosalina's kit (though they don't touch her). Online it doesn't seem like it's much different, a lot of people at least acknowledge Rosalina's uniqueness when the subject comes up, and then for Junior... crickets.

I'll admit I kinda forgot Rosalina isn't super used when I first made my comparison, but I guess it's just because, like you said, it's a lot less weird a mechanically unusual fighter like her wouldn't be used as much, VS a pretty ordinary fighter like Junior so it may just have not registered. So I'd say the popularity argument still holds because I imagine the team would have different standards for adequate usage for "weird" fighters VS normal ones.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
Junior is one of those cases where the character could be pushed a lot further, and honestly it's because of the Koopalings. They hold Junior back and force the moveset to be more of a catch-all Clown Car moveset than a distinctive Bowser Jr. moveset. They were fun in Sm4sh and Ultimate but it's time to move past them and make Junior more.... Junior.

I want Junior to wield E. Gadd's stolen his magic paintbrush. I want it on his person at all times, like in Bowser's Fury. I like a lot of the Clown Car normals (All tilts except for up, all Smashes, down air) but I think he should go wild with the brush for the remaining moves, being up tilt and most aerials (especially since his Fair and Bair never felt right to me with those stubby wrecking balls). I want Junior himself to do more and show off his personality better, getting in over his own head and acting like a cocky brat.

More goop in his kit wouldn't hurt either. Neutral B could leave a trail of paint as the cannonball (goop ball?) flies forward, and I think there's a lot of potential to invoke that Mario series silliness with it. Like if he uses Clown Kart Dash on the paint he panics and begins to spin out really fast, doing a lot more damage than the normal spinout but it's a lot more unwieldly in return. Maybe Mechakoopa could travel faster on goop, too. (There I go with that Rivals brain of mine, again.)

Also please give him an omnidirectional float if he holds the jump button. I want to clown car to feel more like a clown car, even if it's only a little bit.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
Junior is one of those cases where the character could be pushed a lot further, and honestly it's because of the Koopalings. They hold Junior back and force the moveset to be more of a catch-all Clown Car moveset than a distinctive Bowser Jr. moveset. They were fun in Sm4sh and Ultimate but it's time to move past them and make Junior more.... Junior.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the Koopalings.

The reason Jr. is in a "catch-all Clown Car moveset" is literally because of this game right here.

Ever since this game, the Jr. Clown Car has been his "thing". The reason the Koopalings are in the Clown Car are because of HIM, not the other way around.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

The reason Jr. is in a "catch-all Clown Car moveset" is literally because of this game right here.

Ever since this game, the Jr. Clown Car has been his "thing". The reason the Koopalings are in the Clown Car are because of HIM, not the other way around.
Also, if they wanted to make him hit people with the paintbrush, they can do it without sacrificing the Koopalings. Just make them swing their wands instead, just like they replaced Jr.'s hammer with their wands in SSBU.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

Yeah, ever since this game in 2009, he's had it as a main thing in Mario Party 9, Sticker Star, Origami King, his secret boss fight in Dream Team, New Super Mario Bros U, it was his mode of transport in Bowser's Fury, BOTH Bowser Jr.s used it in their boss fight in Paper Jam... Honestly, I think the most surprising thing is that I don't think he ever used it in Wonder lol

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
Yeah, ever since this game in 2009, he's had it as a main thing in Mario Party 9, Sticker Star, Origami King, his secret boss fight in Dream Team, New Super Mario Bros U, it was his mode of transport in Bowser's Fury, BOTH Bowser Jr.s used it in their boss fight in Paper Jam... Honestly, I think the most surprising thing is that I don't think he ever used it in Wonder lol
I mean, Bowser already was like a living Castle....Clown Car....thing.

So Jr. had to fill the big boi role Bowser usually does :p

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I mean, Bowser already was like a living Castle....Clown Car....thing.

So Jr. had to fill the big boi role Bowser usually does :p
It's kind of ironic because Bowser Jr. using the Clown Car in Wonder may have actually shook up one of his boss fights, more than just "fight Bowser Jr. but now you're underwater" lol

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice

ah yes, the painful reminder that what i want bowser jr's steez to be and what nintendo wants his steez to be are two different things.

and then he was just kinda there in wonder to the point that the clown car may have helped his fights a bit? how sadge...

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
Apparently, steez means "a person's distinctive and attractive or impressive style of dress or way of doing things".

So I guess it works, I just have never heard that word before. Guess I learned something today lol
All these newfangled nonsense words.

They're not very cromulent.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I usually just don't dabble in who has higher priority than who because tbh it's a bit of a crapshoot with Smash and there's really no way to tell until it happens, because if you ask most people, they would definitely bring Mewtwo back, but based on precedent with his priority, he's been beaten out by Jigglypuff at least twice. Jigglypuff is one of the original 12 so that probably plays a part, but yeah. Also applies to Wolf a bit since he was low priority in Brawl and then missed out on Smash 4's veteran DLC to Roy and Lucas, even though most people I think would rather keep Wolf.

Since the next Smash is still being developed in part by Bandai Namco (presumably, given the creation of Studio S), I'm also slightly of the opinion that we may end up with a bigger roster than we think, but I have no real way to quantify that beyond still having the assets to tweak however they want for a new game. I don't think we're getting EiH2 or anything, but development of vets may be easier/more streamlined this time than previously, so I guess I'm more in the "no way to tell" category lol
It's a crapshoot to speculate who will be added as well, and we do that. I'd argue it's an even bigger crapshoot, since, especially with third-parties, the pool is so huge. Of course we're all just guessing, but with existing characters, I think you can at least partition them into brackets of how central they are to their series, how long they've been included, their general popularity, whether they're clones or original, and other factors which can inform how they may be evaluated in terms of priority.

It's your prerogative whether to dabble in those terms, but looking at characters in terms of merit isn't going to be nearly as useful, because that conclusion will render like... less than ten characters who will be axed. But assuming the next game does make cuts past those due to licensing, there will be characters cut who have perfectly cromulent resumes, but are cut simply because they weren't afforded the time and resources. That's where priority kicks in.

I agree it's presumably Studio S making this game, and that familiarity will help them, and a permanent team will likely result in more post-launch support, but it's not magically going to give them everything they need to barely have cuts. The 89 characters in Ultimate was a result of literally 9 years of development.

So yeah, I agree that we don't know who will be cut, but... that's why we speculate. We don't know who will be added either. The thing is that looking at it simply in terms of "x deserves inclusion" is framing it without the reality of the constraints imposed on creating a roster that has 89 existing choices, and also needs a typical amount of newcomers.

While we don't know who will make it or not, I think we need to use the same premise the actual dev team will, if we're trying to be realistic. And that premise entails cutting characters who have perfectly good cases for them simply because with a finite budget, they were out-prioritized by a different option.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This just reminds me of how if MvC4 had been more in line with 3 and not Infinite, I would've loved to have seen Zack and Wiki from Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure in it as an obscure pick on the Capcom side.
If MvC4 had been Capcom vs. Capcom instead, you could have seen all the Capcom characters of your dreams.

I mean you could also just do this by bringing back Pokemon Trainer, which I feel like will happen lol
Yeah but to complete the Greninja/Incineroar trio, we need a fully evolved Grass/Dark starter.

Should the Switch 2 have trophies/achievements?
I wish it would, but Nintendo seems against having them on an account level. Even though several of their games have their own.

All these newfangled nonsense words.
Steez has been around for almost 20 years. :p

They're not very cromulent.
Steez is streets ahead.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yeah but to complete the Greninja/Incineroar trio, we need a fully evolved Grass/Dark starter.
That would complete the Dark trio, but not the Feline trio, so once again, we'd be stuck with people trying to fix their ADHD by urging for a Water Feline to complete the Elemental Feline Trio in Smash Bros.

But if you consider Oshawatt and it's evolutions to be Marine Otters, AKA Feline Otters also known as Gato Marino AKA Marine Cats, we can get four birds with one stone by adding in Hisuian Samurott, which combined with Incineroar and Meowscarada, will give us our Starter Grass/Fire/Water Dark Feline Trio in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Ah, but there is one problem

Samurott is supposed to be a sea lion, but...they have dog-like snouts, go BARK BARK BARK, and are part of the Caniform family. What the hell are they doing being compared to a cat anyway?

Ivander

Smash Legend

Samurott is supposed to be a sea lion, but...they have dog-like snouts, go BARK BARK BARK, and are part of the Caniform family. What the hell are they doing being compared to a cat anyway?
For one, Oshawott and Dewott are definitely otters and while Samurott has a bit of similarities to sea lions, it's still definitely an otter, especially when it has four legs which otters have while Sea lions have two fins and a tail in place of two back legs.
For two, Marine Otters's scientific name is Lontra felina, which literally means "Feline Otter". So you should be asking the scientists why we have an otter being compared to a cat.
And three, Marine otters live mainly in coastal environments and saltwater and boy, Samurott will be in alot of saltwater if they were to happen. :4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Never said all Smash designs should be like Rivals; just thought a few could take notes. I singled out Inkling since she'd hypothetically play the most like a Rivals character, creating her own zones on the stage that enable her to do more things. The only other character I could see being Rivals-like is Steve, and he arguably already has a rivals-esque moveset the way his specials intuitively interact with one another.

Regardless, I think more moves having synergy with one another is something that only benefits everyone. Not every special move needs to function with the other special moves in unique ways (obviously), it would just open up more unique design opportunities where relevant. It's not even a concept unique to Rivals; Dedede can inhale his own Gordo and spit it out, Pac-Man can drop a fruit into his Hydrant's water to make it fly very far, Wario can eat his motorcycle to self-heal, etc.

The point I wanted to make was that Smash could really look at other platfighters and take notes. Just take notes; Smash doesn't have to change its core identity, I just think there's room for growth.
You probably reminded me of this, but it wasn't in direct response to you. I don't particularly have a problem with what you said.

Alright so since I gave my more objective assessment before I'll be more subjective now.

Lucario kinda feels like dead weight right now, if I'm gonna be as blunt as possible. The discussion around him is never about how fresh and unique and fun he is, what he's actually providing to the game, it's mostly about how obligatory he is. I mostly get that for series that are less fruitful as it stands - like alright, Isabelle is technically not reinventing the wheel but you kinda gotta have her here, Animal Crossing doesn't have a lot to begin with - but Pokemon has like 10 characters in Smash and so many of them are bold, colorful, exciting additions that bring something extremely dynamic and cool to the table. And then you have Lucario, who apparently needs to be here and feels like a relic.

I want Lucario here if they can refresh him in a way that feels meaningful. He has loads of potential that could make him very fun and flashy. What I don't want is Lucario's awkward current moveset to come back just because it has to, when Pokemon has since delivered on much more intuitive and creative characters who are technically lower down the food chain but are offering so much more to this game dynamically. Ask the average player if they want Lucario or Incineroar back, based on who they enjoy playing more, and I'm confident that the majority vote will not be Lucario.

This is contrasted with characters I consider major additions who may have flawed designs, but are massively popular. This isn't me saying that Ganondorf, Sonic, Little Mac ought to be cut. Because despite everything, a LOT of people actually like playing these characters, and honestly I think they are filling more distinct valuable archetypes despite it all. Lucario, and another character I want to touch on, are characters who are massively important on paper but I think struggle to find a meaningful roster niche.

The other character is Bowser Jr. Bowser Jr is everywhere, I cannot stress this enough - one of the biggest Nintendo characters to debut in the 2000s, and he is in pretty much every Mario game nowadays. He is far more frequently prominent within the Mario brand compared to Rosalina, another secondary pick for the series in Smash. Mario, like Pokemon, has a huge crop of characters likely to be scaled down. Both of these characters are somewhat unpopular to play in Smash, but between the two I think its obvious that Rosalina provides the more distinct gameplay hook through her puppet oriented gameplay. Bowser Jr feels more derivative and maybe not all there. And people seem willing to address this, Rosalina is often prioritized over him in heavier cut scenarios largely for this reason. Meanwhile Bowser Jr is, inarguably, one of the modern series mascots present across the span of games, multimedia projects such as the amusement park and so forth. If we were to apply the same toward Lucario, and cut him in favor of keeping Incineroar or Jigglypuff, what makes that especially egregious in contrast?

But still I think many people believe both Rosalina and Bowser Jr still have a place in Smash moving forward, and I have the same sentiment toward Lucario. I think as long as we have at least 7 or so Pokemon he'll probably be a part of it. Again, I'm open to them doing something new with Lucario, and I'll gladly welcome him back if that happens, but I have my doubts about it depending on how much roster space is provided. And if he comes back largely unaltered then... I don't know, he'll be one of the least popular characters again. Just my two cents.
This...huh. I'm probably biased because Lucario is my second favorite Pokémon, but I would hate for him to get dropped. At the same time, there's nothing saying that he's more important than Greninja other than the fact that he's made the base roster ever since the dex cut. But then again, all of the starters keep coming back as DLC so...I do feel like it would end up being a case of:

Fans: "Fix Lucario plz."
Sakurai: "OK I deleted them from the game."
Fans: "That is NOT what we said. Bring him back!"

I also think that the only reason why they're not a mandatory pick is because Pokémon has so many and there are so few slots that the only mandatory pick that's allowed to exist is Pikachu and maybe Charizard.

So I guess in my opinion retooled > as is >>> removed entirely.

I suppose Bowser Jr. isn't necessarily technical, but his skill floor isn't low either. Though, maybe that's just a "it's hard to be good with the character because they're bad" kinda deal.

Yeah. Everyone knows seals are just dog mermaids.

Last edited:

RykZyk

Smash Cadet
I just had a thought… Smash doesn't seem to have a lot of third-party items (aside from Assist Trophies). So I've come up with two new items from Metal Gear for Smash:

Mk22 Hush Puppy - This non-lethal pistol, which has been used since Metal Gear Solid 3, deals 2% damage to your opponents and puts them to sleep. Literally. Your opponent will be asleep for 5 seconds. While carrying it, you can press and hold A to aim with it, which can also be done while moving around. It can be used up to 20 times, and the suppressor will wear off after 10 times.

Stealth Camouflage - Otherwise known as optic camouflage, a special item used throughout the series, and I think it's unlocked by beating the game. Like the Cloaking Device from Melee (originally from Perfect Dark), it will turn the user invisible for 30 seconds. Maybe they could use this if they can't bring back the Cloaking Device.

So what do you think?
I heavily doubt that we will ever get Valve content in Smash Bros, and third-party franchises solely represented by items.
But having the Portal gun as an item in Smash would be freaking awesome.

PD: Your ideas are neat!

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Didn't Dedenne win the one after Greninja? I know Greninja's was bigger, but... I don't think it was the last official one.
The 2020 PotY poll was a collab with Google, where anyone who looked up "Pokemon vote" could cast their vote. PotY 2021 was a Japan-only Twitter hashtag poll. I dunno, I know the 2020 poll isn't the most recent and could be a little outdated by now, but I feel like the 2021 poll was significantly more limited in its scope. I think the 2020 poll was more comprehensive in covering the whole fanbase, though I might be overestimating it

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
on the topic of Valve...

I know there was a push during Ultimate for some sort of TF2 rep (usually the Heavy). What do you think is gonna happen to that "movement" now that Deadlock exists? ninja edit: My guess is things gradually switch gears to Gordon Freeman.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Heavy would make for a great character in Smash, but there's always going to be a ceiling for support until TF2 ends up on Switch/Switch 2. Even getting beyond whether appearance on a Nintendo console is necessity, there's enough fans that seemingly believe as such that will limit potential rallying for him or anyone prominent in Team Fortress 2.

Even Master Chief, as unlikely has he might be, at least has the occasional cooperation between Microsoft and Nintendo for people to point to. Portal ports wot Switch aside, Valve just doesn't have that.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't know if he's #1, but Kirby is one of the vets I want updated the most. He's my favorite character on the whole roster, but he's really unfun to play. Replacing all of his non-Inhale specials would be a start. I'm surprised he doesn't have a traditional projectile, and Hammer feels more like a smash attack than a special. He has such a wide variety of Copy Abilities, and his Smash moveset feels so limited by comparison. I think he could also use an air speed buff. It doesn't have to be as much as Jigglypuff, but it should be more than it is.
I agree with most here. Even if they wanna keep Hammer and Stone, those can be F Smash and D Air if they really wanted. Even (Final) Cutter. Seems like a good Side B, make Side B the actual Cutter ability and by holding B you do the jumping part. And I find the Warp Star a suitable Up B honestly.

Otherwise, do what made him great in Smash 64. If he has to be basic, at least make him playable.

I do think many of the Smash 64, Melee and Brawl veterans need some rework. The only ones I find to be well done as of now are Luigi, Fox, Yoshi, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff from the original game and... From Melee onwards just about every character could need at least something changed to make them feel like they're the actual character.

Outside of Mr. Game and Watch cause am unsure what else can even be done for the character.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
Considering how divided the community was on Pokémon’s Dex Cut, yeah… there will probably be riots because someone’s favourite Smash character got cut for reasons beyond technical issues.

The worst thing we can do right now is stick our heads in the sand in denial of the possibility literally spoken by Sakurai about EiH likely not being able to happen again.

It will be a time of great change in Smash, if they decide to focus more heavily on third party content over first party, or vice versa… if they decide that promotion of their successes in the Switch era merits the disposal of legacy veterans…

In terms of what I think will happen… I’d anticipate a hefty hand of cuts, but certainly not half of the roster. I’d expect 30 or so unique fighters cut due to licensing, irrelevance and being from a bygone era, low popularity inside and outside of Smash, or simply being lower priority.

… God we talk about cuts a lot… at least it beats doing nothing.

Top Bottom