• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I know the SNES version was panned at the time for removing the blood and gore that drove interest in the series in the first place
What's funny is that Sub-Zero having Fatalities where he freezes his opponent and smashes them to bits aren't that uncommon despite the complaints that that was his SNES Fatality instead of the spine rip. Even MKII has a Fatality like that.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What's funny is that Sub-Zero having Fatalities where he freezes his opponent and smashes them to bits aren't that uncommon despite the complaints that that was his SNES Fatality instead of the spine rip. Even MKII has a Fatality like that.
I actually like his SNES fatality more. The spine rip is cool in its own way but is kind of generic in that it could have been used by any character. There was nothing in inherently ice like about it.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Random thought, but I hope in the next smash game that they make new arrangements for the Mother series' vocal tracks similar to how the Psycho Soldier theme got a new arrangement for Smash.

Need a new Flying Man theme arrangement in Smash so others can be exposed to his upbeat song about the inevitability of death

PersonAngelo53

Smash Rookie
Crazy idea I just got but I think it be cool if team supers where a thing in smash. But only exclusive to certain characters. For example this could be a super for Chrom and Lucina if they are in the next game. https://youtu.be/4lHfM1XMdd4?si=99F7eW8Tp3wJI9JZ

Would also work perfectly for Mario and Luigi. They could use a special attack from the Mario and Luigi games etc. Other good combinations for team supers would be Ryu and Ken, Pit and Dark pit, Peach and Daisy, Bowser with Bowser jr etc. Tho of course this probably be extra work for Sakurai so I don’t expect it happening but I think it is a neat idea nonetheless lol.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
At this point we'll probably get our first glimpse next February on Pokemon Day, and from there it'll release later in the year. My guess is summer at the earliest, holiday season at the latest.
really to me i always though it was going to be a launch title for Switch 2

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
For the record, if you apply to the playtest thing it still doesn't say what it is, but you can download the software on the 21st. So we have 11 days until we find out what this thing is.

(Edit: The test is also now already full).

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
For the record, if you apply to the playtest thing it still doesn't say what it is, but you can download the software on the 21st. So we have 11 days until we find out what this thing is.

(Edit: The test is also now already full).
I figured it'd be full in minutes (it's a Nintendo playtest for crying out loud lol) so I'm glad I applied as soon as I could, because I think I got in on it since the application results say "Selected" lol

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I figured it'd be full in minutes (it's a Nintendo playtest for crying out loud lol) so I'm glad I applied as soon as I could, because I think I got in on it since the application results say "Selected" lol
Yup, afaik that means you got in, if you try to access the page and didn't it specifically says that it is now closed. (I also got in).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wasn't able to because I am at work.

Y'all better share the details.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I wasn't able to because I am at work.

Y'all better share the details.
Based on what OatmealDome posted, anyone who got in will get an eshop code for a 2.2 GB download. Wired connection and TV mode are recommended.

I also did not get in. Sign ups lasted about .1 seconds.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Based on what OatmealDome posted, anyone who got in will get an eshop code for a 2.2 GB download. Wired connection and TV mode are recommended.

The wired connection thing is worrying because I have a terrible internet connection (at the other end of my flat from the wifi router).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I just had an idea of you could incorporate Fatalities into Scorpion's kit. More specifically, his Final Smash. Initially, all it does is give you the Trophy Stand item from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. If you hit a fighter with it, it will do the iconic "FINISH THEM!!!" thing, and pressing either attack button near a fighter gives you Scorpion's classic Mortal Kombat Fatality.
Scorpion and Sub-Zero's SNES Finishers are both pretty tame. Scorpion just pulls off his mask and breaths fire on you. Sub-Zero freezes you solid and shatters you.

Either of these could be FSs that just Instant KO you if your % is high enough.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

2.2GB?

Yeah this one's gotta have some data to mine. Especially since Nintendo knows how to optimize their filesizes. Do the playtesters have to sign an NDA?

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
2.2GB?

Yeah this one's gotta have some data to mine. Especially since Nintendo knows how to optimize their filesizes. Do the playtesters have to sign an NDA?
To sign up no, although I suppose there's a non-zero chance that'll be for the download? Still, I doubt it because they'll know that won't do anything.

Stratos

Smash Lord
Scorpion's and Sub-Zero's uniforms in some games are the same but different in color, if they are going to put these two in Super smash Bros. series, it's better that the uniforms of these two don't look alike either in color or appearance, although something like that I know I don't need to mention.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Scorpion's and Sub-Zero's uniforms in some games are the same but different in color, if they are going to put these two in Super smash Bros. series, it's better that the uniforms of these two don't look alike either in color or appearance.
Eh we have pit and dark pit, it’ll be fine

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

Wow, now I'm really curious what the heck this thing is if it's 2GB and recommends a wired connection and use of TV mode lmao

Like I saw people speculating the return of Miiverse, but Miiverse wouldn't need all that lol

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Wow, now I'm really curious what the heck this thing is if it's 2GB and recommends a wired connection and use of TV mode lmao

Like I saw people speculating the return of Miiverse, but Miiverse wouldn't need all that lol
One theory I saw was testing a NSO app for Gamecube, but with the games being streamed and not downloaded like the rest of the apps.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
As a joke i once imagined that a Mortal Kombat character would have a different voice line depending on who they use their final smash on at the end of a match.

For most of the roster the announcer saying "Scorpion wins, Brutality" but for characters like say Bayonetta and Snake it would say "Scorpion wins, Fatality"

One theory I saw was testing a NSO app for Gamecube, but with the games being streamed and not downloaded like the rest of the apps.
Game streaming
Guess im not paying money for that one. Streaming is a scam in my eyes.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Scorpion's and Sub-Zero's uniforms in some games are the same but different in color, if they are going to put these two in Super smash Bros. series, it's better that the uniforms of these two don't look alike either in color or appearance, although something like that I know I don't need to mention.
Maybe I’m just boring but I actually prefer the designs of both the MK ninjas and the TMNT when they were just pretty much palate swaps of each other. I think UMK3 had the optimal ninja designs and my favorite TMNT designs are still the original Mirage designs (but with the Playmates skin tones and bandana colors).

For Sub-Zero and Scorpion, they could always use the UMK3 designs for half the outfit slots and their most popular modern designs for the other half. That could be cool. They could even reference all the other ninjas with their outfits. Like Sub-Zero could get Noob, Rain, and Reptile and Scorpion could get Smoke, Ermac, and Tremor.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If the Gamecube games have to be streamed, I'd rather they hold off on it until they can make them work like the other NSO apps lmao

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Have one use the MKII outfit and the other the MK3 one.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 395075

Never done one of these lol
I want Kefka for Smash.
This seemed fun:

about me video games.png

Quick notes on a few things:
Favourite villain is the P5R final boss, who I won't name for spoiler reasons.
Devi Summoner is Japan exclusive and doesn't have a fan translation, hence want to play.
Sonic Adventure has a lot to love about it, but 90% of my playtime was spent being frustrated.
Overwatch being stressful is entirely the fault of my friends lmao.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
View attachment 395075

Never done one of these lol
I want Kefka for Smash.
Don't have time to make one with pictures, but:
GOAT: Majora's Mask
Favorite series: DKC
Best soundtrack: Tropical Freeze
Favorite protagonist: I wouldn't know. Banjo and Kazooie?
Favorite villain: Ridley
Best story: Mother 3
Have not played but I want to: Elden Ring (which is soon to change)
You love everyone hates: New Super Mario Bros. U
You hate everyone loves: Tears of the Kingdom
Best art style: Yoshi's Island
Favorite ending: Earthbound
Favorite boss fight: Artorias
Childhood game: Banjo-Tooie
Relaxing game: these days, Starfy
Stressful game: nowadays Smash Ultimate, but all time probably F-Zero GX
Game you always come back to: Smash Ultimate
Guilty pleasure: I don't know... Puzzle Bobble?
Tons of hours played: Smash Ultimate

RIP Metroid, you were the runner-up in most categories

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Alright, I’ll try my own. I’m on my phone so I can’t do pictures either:

Favorite Game: Final Fantasy IX
Favorite series: Tales of
Best soundtrack: Shredder’s Revenge
Favorite protagonist: Zegram Ghart
Favorite villain: Magus
Best story: Final Fantasy IX
Have not played but I want to: Shin Megami Tensei V
You love everyone hates: Rogue Galaxy
You hate everyone loves: Gran Theft Auto
Best art style: League of Legends
Favorite ending: Tales of Arise
Favorite boss fight: Ike
Childhood game: Contra
Relaxing game: Dynasty Warriors
Stressful game: MtG: Arena
Game you always come back to: Smash Ultimate
Guilty pleasure: Pokemon

A lot of those are toss ups that could easily change but those are my top at this moment.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Scorpion and Sub-Zero's SNES Finishers are both pretty tame. Scorpion just pulls off his mask and breaths fire on you. Sub-Zero freezes you solid and shatters you.

Either of these could be FSs that just Instant KO you if your % is high enough.
I knew that. The idea was initially just to incorporate the mechanics of how Fatalities work in a game that doesn't have them. My previous idea was that you could Fatality characters because they'd shield break instead of getting launched if the game detected that they would get K.O.'ed on their final stock, but Smash still hasn't found a way to detect with a satisfactory enough accuracy when that's going to happen. This would be a much better way of doing it, and it would allow you to push them a little further, which would make them feel even more unique.

I doubt we'd get both, but if we do, I'd imagine they'd limit Scorpion to warm colors, and Sub Zero to cool colors so you could tell them apart. Kind of like how Pit and Dark Pit were always identifiable by having white or black wings respectively (until they changed that in SSBU), or how Pyra/Mythra can be told apart at all times because their Aegis Swords never change color.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Favorite game: Kid Icarus Uprising
Favorite series: Kingdom Hearts
Favorite Protagonist: Kazuma Kiryu
Favorite Villain: Hades
Best Story: The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
Have not played but want too: Super Robot Wars D
You love but everyone hates: Megaman Battle Network 4
You hate but everyone loves: Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice
Best artstyle: Super robot wars series
Favorite boss fight: Dark Megaman (Megaman Battle network 5)
Childhood game: Pokemon Emerald
Relaxing game: Persona

Top Bottom