• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Re: Character wants
I don’t have too many characters I’d actively want.
I have so many...
1. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
2. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
3. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
4. Kunio/Riki [River City]
5. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
6. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
7. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
8. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
9. Nightmare [Soulcalibur]
10. Kazuma Kiryu [Like a Dragon]
11. Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown]
12. Dante [Devil May Cry]
13. Phoenix Wright [Ace Attorney]
14. Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
15. Amaterasu [Okami]
16. Mike Haggar [Final Fight]
17. Strider Hiryu [Strider]
18. Goemon/Ebisumaru [Legend of the Mystical Ninja]
19. Crono [Chrono Trigger]
20. Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]
21. Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
22. Bomberman [Bomberman]
23. Estelle Bright [Legend of Heroes]
24. Shantae [Shantae]
25. Captain Toad/Toadette [Treasure Tracker]
26. King Hippo [Punch-Out]
27. Firebrand [Gargoyle’s Quest]
28. Zero [Mega Man X]
29. Alucard [Castlevania]
30. Raiden [Metal Gear]

10e. Ninten [Ness]
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
27e. Galacta Knight [Meta Knight]
31e. Liquid Snake [Snake]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
35e. Charizard [Pokemon Trainer]
36e. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]
61e. Zack [Cloud]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]
82e. Roxas [Sora]

Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer∙Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]
Astaroth [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
An idea I like is having the stage be in Caelid during the Radahn festival, and (bending the lore a bit here) having Radahn and Malenia fighting in the background. Radahn and Malenia are such important parts of Elden Ring both story and marketing wise, so it feels wrong to not give them major representation
Why not make Radahn a Boss? He got to be a climactic boss TWICE in ER.

If you could pick a line to make a reality for Smash 6, which would it be?
Line 'I', I guess? Why would anyone pick 'N'? It gets one less character.

Kinda funny how any line that crosses the middle free space is short one character.
Right?!

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Rosters? I finally put my predictions for 6 in visual form.

Base Game

Post-DLC

Might as well put in full reasonings here as well. This is a long one, so get ready.
Super Mario: The Wonder cast minus the Toads plus Waluigi felt satisfactory enough. It's one of the factors that saved Daisy as one of the clones here too, alongside the character's general popularity. Bowser Jr. edged out Rosalina in base primarily since the former has still been pretty active in mainline, being Wonder's recurring boss fight and a deuteragonist in Bowser's Fury, among other roles. Like with Pupp's choices, Waluigi would pretty much be here since he's the one Nintendo character left that could make a Ridley or K. Rool-sized splash as a playable fighter, on top of the Assist Trophy mechanics in Ultimate already giving him a step towards functioning like a fighter (get ready, this is going to be a slightly recurring theme for the base game choices).

Extended Mario series: Yoshi is fine as is. Wario I think is fine on his own, the only real thing he needs is more side content on both a Land and Ware front. For Donkey Kong, all three veterans are very much worth keeping, and I think Dixie being a character derivative of Diddy (somewhere between Isabelle and Ken in terms of unique) would be an easy add to please people.

The Legend of Zelda: Truthfully, Sheik being on here is a very lucky inclusion, out of a mix of needing my image to be symmetrical and making sure Fire Emblem didn't outnumber Zelda once again, at least in base. Even so, Impa would still definitely be based off of Sheik's archetype here regardless of the latter being here or not, just since it'd be an opportunity to refresh that fighting style with a non-Triforce wielder. As for the other vets, I think switching around the Link and Ganondorf iterations would be interesting, letting Link return to his roots while giving Ganondorf an opportunity for further individualization from Captain Falcon. And Zelda is based off of her design from the Famicom duology, a way to change her up while still representing the oldest Zelda games.

Metroid: With Ridley on the roster now and Samus being ripe for a Dread-based reimagining, I honestly consider Zero Suit Samus to be obsolete. Dark Samus could get some individualization from normal Samus, even if it was something as simple as letting it preserve Samus's original movekit while she gets the aforementioned Dread rework.

Kirby: I used to be 50/50 on Waddle Dee's chances, but seeing that poll Swamp did with first parties moved those odds up to 70/30 in my eyes. I still feel that Dee is probably my riskiest bet on the first-party side, but with the factors surrounding him, I think I'm confident enough to not have him be part of the collective "Fan Pick" slot (more on that later).

Star Fox: Unfortunately, I can see Wolf missing base again, but I'd be much more confident on him actually returning post-launch this time, considering there was really no justification to not have him be DLC in 4 besides maybe being held off purposefully for Ultimate.

Pokemon: Holding off the Pokemon Trainer for DLC is probably a controversial move, but I do not see them splitting Charizard off again, nor can I see them leaving Mewtwo for DLC again either. Incineroar being a DLC veteran is obviously less controversial, though in my eyes the only reason he'd even come back ever is because of the wrestling fighting style, to be honest.

Fire Emblem: Marth and Ike are too popular to get rid of. Lucina is popular in her own right and will likely always be an easy reinclusion as an echo. Robin is a unique kit, and Awakening's importance to the FE series saved him from being a late veteran in my eyes. And of course, Byleth is both from the current top-selling title and is easy to bring back with how new their data is. I think they will save an unknown newcomer for DLC again since that practice has already been done two games in a row, and the Alear iron has cooled off quite a bit. Roy's also the only DLC veteran since I felt he would be the most popular one to bring back.

Animal Crossing: Both Villager and Isabelle have huge justification to say. But I am still going to dig my feet into the ground over a third character being unlikely just because I think there is fierce, fierce competition amongst first-party Nintendo characters with the 10-12 spots I think will be available.

Fit: I think it's clear that Ring Fit is carrying Wii Fit's torch, and I can see that being reflected with the Ring Fit Trainee succeeding Wii Fit Trainer in the base lineup. But I wouldn't count on Wii Fit being gone forever, more a late addition since I know that Ring Fit would have a pretty different moveset.

Xenoblade Chronicles: This is where I think Xeno will hit its cozy amount of characters this installment, with Noah and Mio as kind of a two-in-one deal, though not to the extent of being swap characters like the Aegis. There's always the chance of a fourth game's protagonist being a DLC fighter, too.

Splatoon: While I would be stoked to see Callie my beloved join the fray along with her fellow Squid Sister, I think in realistic terms, the devteam will probably be satisfied with adding Octoling as the Isabelle to Inkling's Villager and calling it a day on that front.

Everyone Else: Little Mac, Min Min, and the Ice Climbers are all characters I feel are just fine remaining as single representatives. I'm confident in keeping Olimar by himself since Oatchi always looked more like Assist Trophy material to me (but there is room for me to be wrong as I will describe soon), but I think adding Louie and the default Pikmin 4 avatar as extra alts for Olimar would be a decent compromise in that regard. Ness and Pit I feel will have to go solo on launch day, but Lucas and Palutena would definitely be among the DLC veteran lineup to satiate fans of those two. I think Dark Pit is probably done, since out of all the Echo Fighters I imagine he is still the least popular, especially with Daisy and Dark Samus both being well-received new Echoes in the last installment. Officer Howard from Astral Chain is the one brand new series I am fully confident in being added in base, especially since the game has been completely under Nintendo's thumb for a while now.

Retro: All three of the previous retro characters are fan favorites at this point and all unique additions to the cast, I can't see any of them being gone. After the dud that was Piranha Plant, I imagine that the next "surprise" pick will be more along the lines of the retro trio--obviously I can't say for 100% certain who it would be, but I see potential in Diskun as a mix between Game & Watch's reference-heavy moveset and ROB's design as a living version of a Nintendo product.

The Nintendo Placeholders: While this may seem like a copout, there are certain elements I'm not fully clear on predicting, or can't properly predict currently. The two "Future Release" placeholders present on the "with DLC" roster are meant for Nintendo characters that'll debut on their next hardware, whether they're stars of a new IP or a new installment in an existing IP. As for the "Fan Pick" placeholder present on both versions, that simply is a catch-all slot that could go to a good handful of Nintendo characters that I could see get in, but I'm not fully confident in unlike the other newcomers I placed.
There's quite a few characters that I think can take the spot, and I'll list them along with their pros and cons.
-Isaac: Popular fan choice, would add a new series to the lineup, can be modelled from Ultimate AT; but is from a particularly dormant series to the point he wasn't even in 4's AT lineup
-Krystal: Popular fan choice, was considered for Brawl, can be modelled from Ultimate AT; but hasn't been used in recent Star Fox titles on top of Star Fox itself not seeing any activity since Zero and the Starlink collab
-Takamaru: Has legacy for Nintendo and has some fan demand, can be modelled from Ultimate AT; but doesn't have as much push as other choices compounded by his game not being international for a good while
-Lyn and Tiki: Popular characters in series to the point of being ATs; would have to contend with a likely-tightened FE lineup and would likely be ignored in favor of a new face
-Starfy: Has some fan demand, would be simple to program, can be modelled from Ultimate AT, has some revitalized interest with NSO rerelease; but I'm convinced Sakurai has it out for the guy at this point
-Tom Nook: I've stood thoroughly corrected on things from a fan demand standpoint; but I could still see the Smash team skip over him in favor of more outwardly-unique fighters
-Oatchi: Has some fan demand and would give Pikmin a second character; but as I've said, could easily be given an AT role instead
-Someone from Rhythm Heaven: Still a semi-popular Nintendo series without a character yet, and signs point towards a character being planned for Smash 4; but the series has not seen a new installment in quite a while and there is always the possibility that the Smash team cannot settle on a character or concept in time
-Ayumi: Has a decent fan movement, was mentioned during Melee development, her series has seen a full revival; but said full revival could have come a bit too late for project plan development, and some of the other choices could win out in terms of fan demand

Mii Fighters: Considering signs point towards Nintendo's next system being primarily a Switch evolution, I imagine the Miis will be kept around for legacy software, and by extension will remain in Smash for the time being.

SEGA: Sonic hasn't missed a game and there's no chance he'll miss one now. Bayonetta is still comfortably under Nintendo's thumb so I see no justification for removing her either. I see Shadow getting added as some sot of clone primarily due to how much SEGA has been pushing the character again, primarily with the Fearless Year of Shadow event and the products associated with it, and also because he'd probably be the easiest choice to develop amongst Sonic's cast. Joining these three as DLC would be Arle from Puyo Puyo, who has long legacy and popularity in Japan and a now-sizable fanbase in other territories, along with the current series director saying he'd be OK with putting her in Smash if given the opportunity. There'd also be a DLC slot for an Atlus character--while my template implies a brand new face, I won't rule out the possibility of Joker being a returning DLC character, either. It all depends on if Atlus wants to promote something new or if they still want to milk P5 at that point in the future.

Capcom: Joining the returning three from Ultimate would be Zero. Zero pretty much has everything going for him in my eyes--he's had sizable demand, he's a popular character in general, he has an AT in Ultimate to work off from, and he'd explicitly bring in what would basically be a new series' worth of content with him, considering how different MMX and MMZ are compared to the Classic games. There's a few other characters from Capcom I could see being added as DLC, but I'm currently going with Dante since (IIRC) his costume in Ultimate was a response to the requests for him that people made during Ultimate's DLC cycle.

Konami: Snake and Simon return. I didn't really indicate this, but I've been pushing for Richter and a couple other Belmonts like Trevor and Julius to get rolled into Simon as alts for him. Bomberman would be the other new base third-party, having popularity, legacy and existing AT data to his name not unlike Zero, on top of the deluxe costume he got in Ultimate that I felt was an acknowledgement of how much people wanted him to be playable. I already listed my reasoning for Tako earlier, and I will quickly paste the quote again here:
"Tako is my shot in the dark prediction for DLC, being a feasible representative of Konami's expansive STG catalogue. It pretty much comes down to process of elimination--he's in over TwinBee because Parodius is an extension of Gradius, which is essentially the "heart" of Konami's shooting-game body, and he's in over the Vic Viper because the latter is a static ship--it's not even given TwinBee or Opa-Opa-esque features in Parodius--and a cartoon octopus would naturally be easier for a developer like Sakurai to envision "dancing in his mind", so to speak, while also still being able to replicate elements of Gradius gameplay thanks to his loadout being based off one of the weapon sets in Gradius II. Basically, it's my answer to the question of putting in a space shooter character in Smash, like how Arle solves the puzzle game character problem."

Namco: Pac-Man would come back for base game. I could see Kazuya being held off for DLC just so Namco can entice the players who liked him in Ultimate, on top of the added incentive of modelling him after his Tekken 8 appearance.

Square-Enix: Cloud and Hero would come back for base game. Like with Kazuya above, I think Sephiroth and Sora will be held back as DLC on purpose to entice players into paying, as sucky as that would be. Joining those two in DLC would be Crono, who I chose both because of the character's importance regarding the height of Nintendo and Square's relationship back in the day, and because he was listed on the "Square Seven" rumor that circulated during Ultimate, which I believe is all but factual information about things regarding Smash and SE internally.

Microsoft: Considering Microsoft's continued amiable relationship with Nintendo at this point in time, I expect things to be smooth with Smash as well. I see both the bear-and-bird duo and Steve returning for base--and for DLC, Microsoft currently holds two big Ultimate-era requests under their fort, being Doomguy and Crash, and considering how easily Sakurai and co. got Banjo, I imagine Crash will get added in without too much trouble, and they'd probably work out something in regards to Doomguy, considering he also got a costume in Ultimate in response to fan demand.

Other companies: I fully expect Terry to return and as a base character, considering SNK's hands-off approach with their content in Smash paying off rather nicely all things considered. New companies I see getting characters are as follows:
-Koei-Tecmo is the frontrunner for a brand new company in the form of Ryu Hayabusa's addition, as the legendary ninja's name was pretty common during Ultimate speculation, and it would be far from difficult to translate him into Smash's context. While a lot of that may have been spurred on because of fake leaks, I think the means are irrelevant to the ends here, and it's an addition I see most people being content with.
-ArcSys is another good contender, and I see Sol Badguy being their representative considering Smash's fighting game character streak so far. The main reason I believe ArcSys to have their foot in the door is thanks to the River City/Kunio spirit event for Ultimate, which to me is a sign that the company has some interest in getting a slice of that Smash pie.
-Falcom is a long-standing company with a good few franchises under their belt, and I have a gut feeling that Adol from Ys is in the cards, just because that seems just like the kind of pick I can see Sakurai getting to add that bewilders a lot of people and makes sense in hindsight. I'll admit this is another shot in the dark of mine overall, however.
-Finally, there's FromSoft, who I think is very likely to get represented with the Tarnished from Elden Ring. That game's popularity cannot be overstated, on top of being a part of From's long-running chain of action games. If Elden Ring gets a version on Nintendo's next system, I'd say he's as good as in from a DLC standpoint.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
No, it's not an "everybody wins" scenario. That's tempting but ultimately flawed thinking. More vets means less newcomers and/or less other content they could put that effort into. Everything has an associated cost. No matter what you do, you are forced to make choices about what gets put in and what gets left out.
It's also flawed thinking to assume that, without EiH, you would have gotten any of that other stuff. Less returning characters doesn't guarantee more newcomers or more story mode. You might have got other stuff you also didn't want. Or, without the plan to do EiH, they might have budgeted less time and money to begin with, and you would have got...absolutely nothing, instead.

The "less newcomers" complaint rings especially hollow, given that Ultimate ended up having more newcomers than any other Smash game.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
No, it's not an "everybody wins" scenario. That's tempting but ultimately flawed thinking. More vets means less newcomers and/or less other content they could put that effort into. Everything has an associated cost. No matter what you do, you are forced to make choices about what gets put in and what gets left out. Sakurai has even talked about the realization that no matter how hard you try, someone is going to feel disappointment. It's fine if EiH is what you personally hope for, but it's misleading to portray it as a route with no downside.
If you want to still be able to play as your favorite 4-5 characters (unless those are Mario, Link and Pikachu I guess) I can't see where the downside would be.
Sakurai said that: "We believe it's what the fans wanted" and then Ultimate proceeded to sell a gazillion copies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You didn’t have many picks that really need any explanation or discussion. There’s only so many times we can have in-depth discussions about a roster that adds Impa, Bandana Dee, Ring Fit Trainer and Noah & Mio.
I disagree. These are all solid choices. I don't think we discuss them often enough.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
The "less newcomers" complaint rings especially hollow, given that Ultimate ended up having more newcomers than any other Smash game.
The "less content" one too, really.
Ultimate also objectively has more stages, more items/ATs/Poké balls, more modes, more options and more single player stuff (with the exception of Brawl) than any other Smash game.

I mean, 100+ stages? Fully implemented 8 player smash? Stage morph? Squad strike? 1,000+ unique single player encounters? The most feature-rich custom stage editor in series history? They even brought back boss fights from Brawl.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That's only if you look at the final count. Base game only had 11, the least amount of newcomers out of all Smash games, and of those 11 six were derivative of previous characters with some being commonly criticized for being too close to their original counterparts. DLC picked up the slack here as over half of the newcomer additions to the game you had to buy separately of the game, otherwise it would've landed lower than even 64.

To say there weren't any cut corners with the newcomer roster would be inaccurate.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That's only if you look at the final count. Base game only had 11, the least amount of newcomers out of all Smash games, and of those 11 six were derivative of previous characters with some being commonly criticized for being too close to their original counterparts. DLC picked up the slack here as over half of the newcomer additions to the game you had to buy separately of the game, otherwise it would've landed lower than even 64.

To say there weren't any cut corners with the newcomer roster would be inaccurate.
And the stage roster too. There were only four new stages at launch. Also, the single player content was heavily affected as well, with all the time and work going to World of Light, Spirits, and the new revamped Classic Mode. Multi-Man Smash was severely cut down, modes like Event Matches, All-Star Mode, Target Blast, and Master/Crazy Orders were completely cut and Stage Builder and Home Run Contest had to be added later on in post-launch updates.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
And the stage roster too. There were only four new stages at launch. Also, the single player content was heavily affected as well, with all the time and work going to World of Light, Spirits, and the new revamped Classic Mode. Multi-Man Smash was severely cut down, modes like Event Matches, All-Star Mode, Target Blast, and Master/Crazy Orders were completely cut and Stage Builder and Home Run Contest had to be added later on in post-launch updates.
I feel like this is a gross misrepresentation of what's actually going on in Ultimate.

There's only 4 new stages because they brought back 96 old ones.
Event matches were replaced by Spirits. (and it's 1000+ Spirit fights VS 50 at best Event matches...)
Stage Builder and Home Run Contest are in the game, they were even free updates. What's there to complain about? Game development also works like this in modern times. This will happen with the next game too, regardless of the direction chosen with the roster.
All-Star probably got cut because the roster is too large and the challenge changes a lot if you buy DLC (this was a problem in Smash Wii U).
Did anyone actually play stuff like Target Blast, 15-Minute Melee and the break the boxes minigame? 😂

Crazy Orders was a fun mode though.
Still, it's not like single player content is lacking.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here's a weird question: For characters that are considered expendable/irrelevant on social media, do you think in-game playerbase sizes matter? Like, let's say we've got a hypothetical character, Garboglob the wonderful Glorboid. Garboglob is kinda irrelevant and past their heyday of popularity in their home series. They also have a sizable amount of people ask for their cut on social media for being irrelevant and out of date. However, despite not being a top or high tier character, Garboglob maintains an incredibly healthy usage rate near the rear end of the top 15 most used characters. Would that matter enough to factor into them being more/less likely than other characters? I have my own thoughts on this but I'm curious what you all think.
pardon?

ah so we should have them removed from gaming entirely. banish them to the dumpster of irrelevance and forget all about them

Dinoman96

Smash Master
One thing that really sucks about Home Run Contest and Stage Builder being relegated to post-launch updates is that they don't have any corresponding Challenges. It especially sucks for HRC because it doesn't feel like there's really a whole awful lot of incentive to play it, unlike in previous games where hitting 400m/1,200 ft unlocks the Clu Clu Land music or something.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
For what it's worth, seeing Dixie Kong, Crash, Bomberman, and Knuckles here sort of sells me on this a fair bit. With Doshin, Mach Rider, and Starfy as icing on the cake.

If I may ask, would this be Doshin by himself or would Jashin (the Hate Giant) accompany him?
Hah, thanks!

To be honest I've never really thought hard about the way Doshin would play. I just like his design a lot for some reason (and his music is awesome which is a plus).
But yeah Jashin would have to be a part of his moveset somehow.
Maybe Doshin would have "terraforming" specials kinda like Steve's blocks or Villager's tree, and then you can turn into Jashin to destroy what you've built?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
One thing that really sucks about Home Run Contest and Stage Builder being relegated to post-launch updates is that they don't have any corresponding Challenges. It especially sucks for HRC because it doesn't feel like there's really a whole awful lot of incentive to play it, unlike in previous games where hitting 400m/1,200 ft unlocks the Clu Clu Land music or something.
This this this this!!!!

Those side stuff should be based game, or add a new challenge board alongside them in an update

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I meant make them irrelevant
You're shooting yourself in your own foot here. They aren't irrelevant, in fact they're quite popular. Daisy is an easy Echo of a fighter that will forever stay, Mewtwo was as popular as a request as Mega Man back in Smash 4, and Bayonetta, well... I dunno. Nintendo practically has exclusive rights. They're likely staying

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
I agree, but on the other hand this is proof that stuff like HRC isn't really all that essential to the game... You shouldn't necessarily need outside incentives to play one of the game's modes. Breaking your own record is the premise of the mode. That should be your incentive.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Now that I think about it, a lot of aspects of SSBU’s post-launch is a load of missed potential. No DLC Assist Trophies, barely any new modes added, barely any Spirits added via owning a copy of a recent game, and not even any new Echo Fighters* after Ken.

(*Preferably, I’d like DLC Echo Fighters to be added via free updates, since they take less effort than unique fighters.)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You're shooting yourself in your own foot here. They aren't irrelevant, in fact they're quite popular. Daisy is an easy Echo of a fighter that will forever stay, Mewtwo was as popular as a request as Mega Man back in Smash 4, and Bayonetta, well... I dunno. Nintendo practically has exclusive rights. They're likely staying
so what you're saying is that they should be cut

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Speaking about stage builder, I think it should return like the one in Brawl, but expanded with a lot options, and I mean A LOT of options!
You see: The one in Super Smash Bros. 4, to which the one in Ultimate is a direct sequel, was created with the touchscreen and stylus in mind. So, unless they return, I think we should shift to something more pratical for pad users.

Laniv

Smash Champion
...Anyways, here's a question I've had: what are some status effects you'd like to see in future games? You know, things like sleeping, buried, frozen, things like that. One thing I'd like to see is petrification. The character is turned to stone, and is unable to attack or move. They would also have high damage-based armor, being unable to be budged unless hit by the strongest of attacks. If it hits a fighter in midair, they will fall straight down at high speeds, potentially dooming them if they're offstage.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Same reason anyone wants anyone back. Not only that he is a very popular Pokemon and was the only character with a original moveset to get cut from Melee
And Mewtwo is one of the franchise's most iconic Pokémon. It was the final boss of the original Pokémon games, was the main focus of the first movie (which actually got a 3D remake recently), and it got two Mega Evolutions in XY (which makes it one of only two Pokémon to get two Mega Evolutions, with Charizard being the other one).

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
...Anyways, here's a question I've had: what are some status effects you'd like to see in future games?
Being forced to taunt against your will, and without the ability to cancel out of it. Why yes, this is thinly veiled Funky Kong propaganda, thx for asking

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
(*Preferably, I’d like DLC Echo Fighters to be added via free updates, since they take less effort than unique fighters.)
If they're charging 75 cents for Mii Costumes, I highly doubt they'll ever give out echos for free. They should be cheaper than real fighters but free seems like asking a bit much

so what you’re saying is he should be cut
this is dedicated hating lol. i gotta respect it.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
...Anyways, here's a question I've had: what are some status effects you'd like to see in future games? You know, things like sleeping, buried, frozen, things like that. One thing I'd like to see is petrification. The character is turned to stone, and is unable to attack or move. They would also have high damage-based armor, being unable to be budged unless hit by the strongest of attacks. If it hits a fighter in midair, they will fall straight down at high speeds, potentially dooming them if they're offstage.
might I suggest the ultra bitter spray from pikmin 2 as an item that can do this

Laniv

Smash Champion
Being forced to taunt against your will, and without the ability to cancel out of it. Why yes, this is thinly veiled Funky Kong propaganda, thx for asking
You know, as long as we're talking immobilizing status effects, I say go the whole way and give everyone a uncancleable dancing animation. Once we see Ridley hitting the griddy or doing Gangnam style, video games will be complete as a medium.

This, too, is Funky Kong propaganda

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
so what you’re saying is he should be cut
Jesus, you're being insufferable. You're not the arbiter of taste. Stop acting like you are.

And don't pull the whole "I'm autistic and/or Scottish and this somehow excuses my terrible behavior" card because no it doesn't. It's rude and unfunny.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I used to be all about making fun fan rosters and predictions but I feel like there are too many unknowns regarding the next Smash Bros than any predictions is the equivalent of throwing darts at a haystack and hoping you hit a fly.

I certainly have most wanted, I can do a "what I'd do if I were in charge." But narrowing down cuts making room for who I want, figuring out who the best new guest character for base game is. There's no precedent for where we are now and what to predict comes next

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
I used to be all about making fun fan rosters and predictions but I feel like there are too many unknowns regarding the next Smash Bros than any predictions is the equivalent of throwing darts at a haystack and hoping you hit a fly.

I certainly have most wanted, I can do a "what I'd do if I were in charge." But narrowing down cuts making room for who I want, figuring out who the best new guest character for base game is. There's no precedent for where we are now and what to predict comes next
I think this is the best way to put it out of any take I’ve seen regarding the next Smash game. It’s more or less the reason why I prefer to discuss either newcomer concepts or veteran rework concepts, just for a couple examples.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Trolling
Jesus, you're being insufferable. You're not the arbiter of taste. Stop acting like you are.

And don't pull the whole "I'm autistic and/or Scottish and this somehow excuses my terrible behavior" card because no it doesn't. It's rude and unfunny.
so what you’re saying is they should be cut?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's also flawed thinking to assume that, without EiH, you would have gotten any of that other stuff. Less returning characters doesn't guarantee more newcomers or more story mode. You might have got other stuff you also didn't want. Or, without the plan to do EiH, they might have budgeted less time and money to begin with, and you would have got...absolutely nothing, instead.
I mean...you could assume that Ultimate would have just been bad, but it's no less baseless than literally any other assumption that could be made.

The point is that "Everyone is Here!" came at a cost, and as worth it as it was, it's still true.

I think I've heard something like this once before. Do people really say "sorry I'm autistic/Scottish so I don't know how not to be extremely, purposefully difficult for the sake of it."?

Top Bottom