• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Oh yeah, we just surpassed 1600 pages.

How many do you bet we’ll reach by the time the next Smash game is announced?
The thread's already ramping up. For reference...

• Page 1: October 2021
  • Page 401: November 2022 (13 months)
  • Page 801: October 2023 (11 months)
  • Page 1201: April 2024 (6 months
    1726276945590.png
    )
  • Page 1601: September (5 months)
And with the inevitable reveal and release of the Switch 2, I think it's only going to accelerate. I think we could break 2000 pages this year, probably 3000 next. So assuming it gets revealed in 2026, I think somewhere around 3200 makes sense.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Tiki is what many people think Anna is. She's genuinely very popular. She's reoccurring but with plot important roles in every appearance.
Though, as I kind of alluded to, thinking of her as a true "recurring" character is a bit overblown. She appears in the 2 games with Marth, like a lot of other characters that appear in FE games that have a sequel/prequel (or whatever Thracia is), and it just so happens that those two games are both among the few old enough to have been remade. Then there is Awakening, where she is there to help tie in the whole concept of that game's world being a distant future of Marth's. So in terms of fully original mainline games, it's just one more than the 2 that a lot of characters get. Which she absolutely gets credit for, but in any case, it's definitely a different situation than Anna, who just gets wedged in everywhere as one of gaming's least surprising Easter eggs. I know I said myself they're similar but maybe not quite so much lol.

Also, her roles I would say are definitely plot-relevant, though even the most avid fans must have to admit she's still ultimately a side-character, just one that helps tie certain things together, including lore-wise. And also only really comes into the picture mid- or late-game, which hurts a little bit.

Though I do agree she has genuine popularity, and the gains she made during the Awakening era have proved not to be a flash in the pan. And she does cover an important representative niche in FE, that of the manaketes (and really, transforming characters in general). That much must be conceded.

You take Tiki out of Fire Emblem and the franchise loses its second most major character archetype
But if you haven't benched her in favor of Bantu you haven't really lived /j

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Was gonna make an "OVER NINE-THOUSAAAAAND" joke but at our current rate and assuming the next Smash is revealed in 2026/27 that genuinely might not be a far-off estimate
It'd work if the Social Threads weren't locked before they reached 6000 pages.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Though, as I kind of alluded to, thinking of her as a true "recurring" character is a bit overblown. She appears in the 2 games with Marth, like a lot of other characters that appear in FE games that have a sequel/prequel (or whatever Thracia is), and it just so happens that those two games are both among the few old enough to have been remade. Then there is Awakening, where she is there to help tie in the whole concept of that game's world being a distant future of Marth's. So in terms of fully original mainline games, it's just one more than the 2 that a lot of characters get. Which she absolutely gets credit for, but in any case, it's definitely a different situation than Anna, who just gets wedged in everywhere as one of gaming's least surprising Easter eggs. I know I said myself they're similar but maybe not quite so much lol.

Also, her roles I would say are definitely plot-relevant, though even the most avid fans must have to admit she's still ultimately a side-character, just one that helps tie certain things together, including lore-wise. And also only really comes into the picture mid- or late-game, which hurts a little bit.

Though I do agree she has genuine popularity, and the gains she made during the Awakening era have proved not to be a flash in the pan. And she does cover an important representative niche in FE, that of the manaketes (and really, transforming characters in general). That much must be conceded.

But if you haven't benched her in favor of Bantu you haven't really lived /j
Yeah, I think it's the Manakete archetype that really helps her shine through. Playing through a Fire Emblem game, each Lord is usually given a distinct class, but you'll still get multiple Cavaliers, multiple Mercenaries, multiple Pegasus Knights, etc., and depending on the game you might be able to reclass everyone to your heart's content.

But the Manaketes? Those are special. It's a rare treat to get more than one Manakete a game, rarer still if that second dragon isn't gained through child units or DLC. And again, they can turn into a friggin' dragon. Plus, Manakete NPCs are often pretty important in the setting, even seen as gods in some cases, so being a dragon in Fire Emblem nets some extra prestige beyond the inherent cool factor of being a dragon.

The only other "special" unit I can really think of beyond the Lords are the Dancers. While they're pretty useful, they're usually just support classes to let your other units move again, and they usually don't have any special weapons or attacks. They're also usually just some girl without the same uniqueness as the Manaketes; The only important Dancer I can really think of is Azura, and while decently popular, I don't think she's that popular overall.

So it makes sense why Tiki has more of a dedicated following than Anna; Even if she only rarely shows up overall, she represents a unique archetype in both the gameplay and the narrative beyond being the funny NPC, so there's actually something to get invested in short of her attendance count.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
:ultroy2::ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultbowserjr:

Of all the Mario characters in Smash Bros, the talk of voice made me realise that these four characters are the only characters who are voiced by their current voice actors

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultwario::ultdoc:-Kevin Afghani has taken over for Charles Martinet
:ultdaisy:-Giselle Fernandez has taken over for Deanna Mustard
:ultrosalina:-Laura Faye Smith took over for Kerri Kane before Rosalina was even added to Smash
:ultlarry::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig:-With the exception of Roy, all the Koopalings received new voice actors with Mario Kart 8, but Smash Bros samples the voices from New Super Mario Bros
:ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:-Never had their regular voice in Smash to begin with, just computer noises essentially
:ultpiranha:-unsure who does the voice of the regular plants, Toru Minegishi does Petey Piranha. But in Smash both are mute

It's kinda wild just how mandatory a total Mario voice redo is becoming. Almost none of them sound what they do in current games anymore

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord

Of all the Mario characters in Smash Bros, the talk of voice made me realise that these four characters are the only characters who are voiced by their current voice actors

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultwario::ultdoc:-Kevin Afghani has taken over for Charles Martinet
:ultrosalina:-Laura Faye Smith took over for Kerri Kane before Rosalina was even added to Smash
:ultlarry::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig:-With the exception of Roy, all the Koopalings received new voice actors with Mario Kart 8, but Smash Bros samples the voices from New Super Mario Bros
:ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:-Never had their regular voice in Smash to begin with, just computer noises essentially
:ultpiranha:-unsure who does the voice of the regular plants, Toru Minegishi does Petey Piranha. But in Smash both are mute

It's kinda wild just how mandatory a total Mario voice redo is becoming. Almost none of them sound what they do in current games anymore
There are surreal odds next game that Mario, Luigi, Wario and Waluigi will all have their voices done by Kevin Afghani yet the Koopa King will once again not be voiced by Kenny James and it will be a real "Alright, WTH Sakurai?!" for many of us.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

How do you imagine the next Smash Theme sounding like?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Makes sense. It's been said before, but Smash fans have a tendency to prioritize "representation" over actually prominent or popular characters. Anna is assumed to be a major character due to being one of the few recurring characters, but she just doesn't have much to her beyond being the funny merchant who shows up everywhere. Impa might be in a similar boat, being a recurring character but not being quite as important as the Triforce holders or the popular one-shot characters. But the Zelda subreddit turned the poll down, so we won't be able to answer that.
I think Impa‘s Smash popularity is also born from a type of need for more Zelda characters. The one-off breakouts have all been AT’d despite relevant timing and popularity, so people figured that a new Zelda character must be a recurring character. Skull Kid fans are going the way of the K. Rool by translating his general popularity into concrete Smash demand, so we’’ll see which tactic works.

Plus, she managed to win a CYOH poll, so the core FE fandom seems quite fond of her as well.
Do keep in mind that the Choose Your Legends poll is heavily influenced by what is happening in Fire Emblem Heroes (outside of the first one, which was held before FEH’s launch). Tiki’s win, for example, was influenced by the fact that Awakening Tiki had received no alternate Hero form since the very first Summer summoning event five/six years prior, while Young Tiki (aka how she features in Marth’s games) got a continous stream of alternates throoughout the years. Tiki’s CYL win was pretty much a push to guarantee an Awakening Tiki alt (as the winners of the poll receive a Brave alternate form) and actually a pushback against Young Tiki, instead of being a result of the overall popularity of the character.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I really wouldn't use FEH/CYL, FEW, and Engage Emblems for particularly strong evidence for her considering that bar is so low, Camilla fulfills all 3 of them and I definitely don't think she's very Smash-popular.

Regardless,
FE as a franchise is so fluid in terms of "actual game relevance" to "smash appeal" that you really could justify pretty much anyone FEH has considered to be "Legendary." For example, someone like Lyn, the clear-cut character people are begging to break into smash... is kinda minor in the grand scheme of both the franchise and even the original game she comes from.

For my personal opinion:
While Tiki as a character has a general positive opinion throughout the FE fanbase, I don't believe many people are chomping at the bit for specifically a smash version. And when people do discuss Tiki within a smash context, it's never specifically about what she can "do" but rather what she "is" (a dragon), tiptoeing around any specific details of gameplay.

Moreover, I think people tend to conflate Young and Adult Tiki together in their arguments when they're entirely different characters with vastly different aspects and even wholly unique dragon-forms. It's like using the popularity or "iconic-ness" of Ocarina of Time Link to vouch for the Hero's Shade. I hate to say this as someone who enjoys both Tikis, but it does feel like her accolades are a little... embellished for lack of a better word.
Manaketes are unique, yes, but I cannot say any of them were ever integral to the experience. Hell, the current most popular Fire Emblem (and probably Strategy RPG) in the world lacks any playable dragonfolk.

I think Impa‘s Smash popularity is also born from a type of need for more Zelda characters. The one-off breakouts have all been AT’d despite relevant timing and popularity, so people figured that a new Zelda character must be a recurring character. Skull Kid fans are going the way of the K. Rool by translating his general popularity into concrete Smash demand, so we’’ll see which tactic works.

Do keep in mind that the Choose Your Legends poll is heavily influenced by what is happening in Fire Emblem Heroes (outside of the first one, which was held before FEH’s launch). Tiki’s win, for example, was influenced by the fact that Awakening Tiki had received no alternate Hero form since the very first Summer summoning event five/six years prior, while Young Tiki (aka how she features in Marth’s games) got a continous stream of alternates throoughout the years. Tiki’s CYL win was pretty much a push to guarantee an Awakening Tiki alt (as the winners of the poll receive a Brave alternate form) and actually a pushback against Young Tiki, instead of being a result of the overall popularity of the character.
Also, agreed with this. CYL is in no way a good indicator of anything but a certain part of the community's leanings during that year and it is highly susceptible to recency bias and rallying. I mean for ****'s sake, we Morbius-ed our way into getting both Gatekeeper and a plot character we hadn't even seen yet into winning.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Given how big Mario is for Nintendo and that he's changed a voice actor, I'd imagine they'd force them to stop reusing Brawl voice clips and record new ones for Mario, Luigi, and Wario at least. Other than that, I imagine the rest will either go untouched, or sample their new portrayals. I'd be willing to bet that older portrayals are chosen due to the fact that the sound library is bigger, and are thus more likely to get the clips needed.

From what I could find, some Mario Kart games give the Piranha Plant stage hazards edited versions of Petey Piranha's voice clips. Fire Piranha Plant also given a voice in Mario Tennis Aces, but I wasn't able to find an actor listed for it, and it's entirely possible that the noises it makes are just edited sound library stuff.

superprincess

Smash Ace
Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi (AT or otherwise) will totally get new voice clips from Kevin Afghani. I doubt they'll recycle material from Mario Wonder, Mario Party Jamboree or WarioWare: Get It Together too. I see all four of them getting new voice clips, as they're all iconic and Nintendo seems pretty determined to establish Afghani as the new VA for these guys.

As for Daisy... I could see them keeping the outdated VA honestly. Fernandez is a pretty close voice match for Mustard's portrayal of Daisy so the transition doesn't even seem noticeable at first. At most, I see them recycling Wonder voice clips, as that game has a pretty wide variety of voice clips and Smash Daisy already reuses voice clips from Mario games anyway.

Rosalina kept Kerri Kane through Smash 4 and even Ultimate despite Laura Faye Smith taking over as early as 2013. I think the exact same voices will persist in Smash 6, despite being really (and I mean REALLY) outdated. I don't mind it, as Kane retains that ethereal and intergalactic feel whereas Smith's interpretation is much more Peach-like.

The Koopalings... yeah who cares. They're keeping those NSMBW voice clips. I'm pretty sure one of those voice actors complained about his voice being reused in future games without his consent & going unpaid, but Nintendo still didn't care so lol. They won't record new stuff for alternate costumes anyway.

Bowser, DK and Diddy will probably keep the animal noises. It feels extra weird post-Smash 4 because they're all pretty expressive and cartoony, but oh well.

Piranha Plant has had a voice since Mario Kart Double Dash I think, although that's just a variation of Petey's voice. They could use the Fire Piranha Plant's voice from Tennis Aces or use Wonder's singing Piranha Plants as a sample, but I doubt it. I do wish the iconic Piranha Plant death sound effect was used during its Star KO though.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Yeah, I think it's the Manakete archetype that really helps her shine through. Playing through a Fire Emblem game, each Lord is usually given a distinct class, but you'll still get multiple Cavaliers, multiple Mercenaries, multiple Pegasus Knights, etc., and depending on the game you might be able to reclass everyone to your heart's content.

But the Manaketes? Those are special. It's a rare treat to get more than one Manakete a game, rarer still if that second dragon isn't gained through child units or DLC. And again, they can turn into a friggin' dragon. Plus, Manakete NPCs are often pretty important in the setting, even seen as gods in some cases, so being a dragon in Fire Emblem nets some extra prestige beyond the inherent cool factor of being a dragon.

The only other "special" unit I can really think of beyond the Lords are the Dancers. While they're pretty useful, they're usually just support classes to let your other units move again, and they usually don't have any special weapons or attacks. They're also usually just some girl without the same uniqueness as the Manaketes; The only important Dancer I can really think of is Azura, and while decently popular, I don't think she's that popular overall.

So it makes sense why Tiki has more of a dedicated following than Anna; Even if she only rarely shows up overall, she represents a unique archetype in both the gameplay and the narrative beyond being the funny NPC, so there's actually something to get invested in short of her attendance count.
You make some good points here, and sure, the manakete angle definitely makes her stand out, which I mentioned in brief myself. And again, I don't argue she's a plenty popular character, and her status as a manakete being a big component of that doesn't seem like any stretch. Though I also don't think it would ever boil down to "we need to represent the manaketes with a character," it's just a representative niche for her, which is of course important to have. But besides, the other item hanging over this conversation about manaketes is, well, the IMO likelier possibility of simply returning Corrin, who technically already brings some of that dragonforming angle into Smash; not that Tiki and Corrin couldn't coexist, and I think they would be way, way different, I'm just saying it cuts into the idea of "we should add Tiki explicitly because we're looking for someone to represent the manaketes / transforming characters," at least in a basic form.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
My thoughts about Tiki are absolutely inflated because A!Tiki is probably my favorite Fire Emblem character, and while CYL and other Spinoffs are not a great measure because of other characters and just general timing (although Gatekeeper and Camilla making it in would be good, actually) I think Tiki's appearances there (also adding things like Dragalia Lost) are not irrelevant and also with the fact that she is an Assist Trophy, I feel is at least Eyebrow raise worthy

There are even things like Samantha Kelly having different Voice direction in Princess Peach Showtime compared to her other appearances (although I think time will tell if that direction appears outside of that game.)

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I really wouldn't use FEH/CYL, FEW, and Engage Emblems for particularly strong evidence for her considering that bar is so low, Camilla fulfills all 3 of them and I definitely don't think she's very Smash-popular.
We know that's not true. The internet seems to think she's very Smash-popular. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It's like using the popularity or "iconic-ness" of Ocarina of Time Link to vouch for the Hero's Shade.
I mean, the Hero's Shade would be a cool alternate costume for Link. Heck, I'm surprised he didn't get an armor set for Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom when we got Dark Link and somehow Phantom Ganon as armor sets.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Lyn, the clear-cut character people are begging to break into smash... is kinda minor in the grand scheme of both the franchise and even the original game she comes from.
(spoilers for FE7)

Well, the main bulk of FE7 is technically Eliwood's story, yeah, and Lyn was created to be the main character of the "tutorial" portion. But in practice, from the perspective of a first playthrough (which will be all that the vast majority of players will do), Lyn is unequivocally the main and by far most important character for the first 10 chapters. And even if a lot of those chapters are pretty small in comparison to the later ones, it's still a significant deal of narrative effort expended on specifically her, full of moments of her speaking directly to the player and complete with its own CG credits roll. It's enough to really skew the optics in favor of her, especially for newer players. And then, it's not like she disappears completely in Eliwood mode. She's back in the picture by chapter 15, getting two chapters about saving her granddaddy, and from there continues to appear in basically all of the cutscenes and remains involved in all the party's decision-making alongside Eliwood and Hector. And, while the initial arc of Eliwood's story is motivated by the search for Eliwood's father, once they find him and everything is about stopping Nergal, all three of Eliwood, Hector, and Lyn are pretty amply motivated, albeit with most of the emotional weight tied to Eliwood through his relationship with Ninian and the loss of Elbert.

Overall, it's super easy to see why players would come away from FE7 loving Lyn and either not caring or, honestly, not even noticing if a lot of the story is technically about Eliwood, especially newer players (of which there were a ton for FE7, it being the first game released in the West). Regardless, I don't think it's fair to call her a minor character when, even if you want to say Eliwood is the most important, she's pretty easily argued as the next most important. And of course that's only strictly plot-wise, because she trumps Eliwood hard in popularity, getting the spotlight in the opening segments of the first non-JP game has led her to a greater overall notoriety than him among fans, and of course she is the one getting all the spinoff highlights and etc.

In terms of significance to the series at large, well, pretty much nobody in the series gets to make a major, main-character-level impact on more than like 2 games, with Marth and Ike being the only ones who get to be true main characters for multiple games (Alm and Celica if you count the Echoes remake), and even Ike is taking a backseat for significant portions of RD. So unless the argument is just that all Fire Emblem characters are ultimately unimportant to the grand scheme of the series, being in one game isn't really hurting her ranking very much.
Her importance is essentially tied to two things, being a poster child for FE's break into the West, and being absurdly popular, with only Ike really standing over her (and even then it's actually fairly close). With both those elements to her status having been confirmed to be recognized by devs.

Though if the point here was just to compare her to Tiki and Anna, it's no contest. Not in terms of plot importance or popularity.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We know that's not true. The internet seems to think she's very Smash-popular. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I mean, the Hero's Shade would be a cool alternate costume for Link. Heck, I'm surprised he didn't get an armor set for Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom when we got Dark Link and somehow Phantom Ganon as armor sets.
It would probably make the CSS load even slower, but it would've been cool to have some alt sets as DLC or update content. Stuff like Hero's Shade, or Samus' different suit designs, or maybe some of the Heroes alt costumes. It wouldn't matter much in the grand scheme of things but it'd be a nice little bonus.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It would probably make the CSS load even slower, but it would've been cool to have some alt sets as DLC or update content. Stuff like Hero's Shade, or Samus' different suit designs, or maybe some of the Heroes alt costumes. It wouldn't matter much in the grand scheme of things but it'd be a nice little bonus.
It'd probably help the CSS a bit if they bring back the 3D models on the CSS like Smash 64. It'd also give them less work on making a 3D Art Render for all of the costumes, with some exceptions like alternate characters like the Koopalings, Alph, the DQ Heroes, Alex/Zombie/Enderman, the characters with genderswaps and whatnot.

That aside, I've always been open to DLC Alternate costumes for characters besides Miis and it'd be nice for characters besides Mario, Link, the Inklings, Cloud, Bayonetta, Joker, Sora and whatnot to have some more different alternates.

superprincess

Smash Ace
I never understood this saying. Exceptions prove that something isn't a rule.

It just seems like a fancy way of saying "Okay, well, BESIDES that..."
Sakurai said it himself. Plant was chosen because it's not a hero or a villain. The fact that it's a character you wouldn't come to expect based on previous picks is what made him go for it.

It's not like he looked at Piranha Plant and said "yeah, that's a logical next step for the roster". He saw how bizarre including a minor character was, because
Smash had previously established that only major characters get to join the roster.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Smash had previously established that only major characters get to join the roster.
I have to ask, when did Sakurai establish this first? The only time I recall him stating this was with Min-Min and the "main character of ARMS" topic, and even back then it was a confusing justification.

To be fair, it makes sense that Smash would try to do this, especially given some of its patterns, but its actual execution of the rule can (and has) bended some. Plant isn't even the first exception that comes to my mind, as Rosalina and Bowser Jr also defy this trend to certain degrees. At this point, what's the cutoff point for being a major character? Even the argument of being prominent to the game's structure does not seem all that strong anymore, which to me makes the standard of specifically adding main characters to Smash rather subjective.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I never understood this saying. Exceptions prove that something isn't a rule.

It just seems like a fancy way of saying "Okay, well, BESIDES that..."
When used correctly, it means that 1, the exception is so unlikely to happen again that it implies that the rule is in place, or 2, the explanation for the exception implies that the rule exists (Ex. a rule about acquiring special permission to do something implies that you're normally not allowed).

When used incorrectly it's as you said: "Yeah well that doesn't count 'cuz I said so."

EDIT: Also I have no idea why we're comparing a generic enemy to a fairly popular named character

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I have to ask, when did Sakurai establish this first? The only time I recall him stating this was with Min-Min and the "main character of ARMS" topic, and even back then it was a confusing justification.

To be fair, it makes sense that Smash would try to do this, especially given some of its patterns, but its actual execution of the rule can (and has) bended some. Plant isn't even the first exception that comes to my mind, as Rosalina and Bowser Jr also defy this trend to certain degrees. At this point, what's the cutoff point for being a major character? Even the argument of being prominent to the game's structure does not seem all that strong anymore, which to me makes the standard of specifically adding main characters to Smash rather subjective.
And what about Wolf? He's not THE main antagonist of Star Fox, he's just the most prominent one that has a full body instead of being a giant head with floating hands.

And he wasn't chosen to join the roster because "the most prominent Star Fox antagonist that has a full body" arguably still makes him a bigger deal than Krystal, it was because it was easier to make a Fox semiclone late in Brawl's development that what Krystal would need to be.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Remind me if Wolf was planned for SSB Melee, because I see him in the intro but i don't see Falco:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, it wouldn't really.
I believe Smash modders have already fixed the slow loading CSS, both with original color-swaps and entirely original renders, not to mention the fact this is only affecting smash bros render .pngs meanwhile higher fidelity games like SF6 just immediately load in full models.

But don't get me started on the wasted potential of DLC costumes, I could be here forever...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Remind me if Wolf was planned for SSB Melee, because I see him in the intro but i don't see Falco:
He never was planned, that's a myth.

Ivander

Smash Legend
But don't get me started on the wasted potential of DLC costumes, I could be here forever...
I've said it before. We're either very unlucky or very lucky that Nintendo didn't do DLC Costumes for non-Miis. Because there are so many characters with so much costume potential, and we'd be probably sucked dry if Nintendo went the full mile.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
and we'd be probably sucked dry
Luckily it's only an extremely small percentage of people who bought/downloaded a game who buy all th...

SSBU sold 34.66 million units
Smashboards has 294,910 members as of this post, most of which no longer use the site

...**** we could be that extremely small percentage.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I've said it before. We're either very unlucky or very lucky that Nintendo didn't do DLC Costumes for non-Miis. Because there are so many characters with so much costume potential, and we'd be probably sucked dry if Nintendo went the full mile.
I still think a good compromise would be to keep Mii Costumes as DLC and add costumes for non-Mii characters in the base game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
add costumes for non-Mii characters in the base game.
I feel like if they did that Sakurai would still adhere to the 8 costume limit, which as any Fire Mario fans know already has issues.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
It really bugs me that so many characters get ridiculous the attention to detail, yet iconic Nintendo staples like Bowser & DK can't have their regular voices for some reason.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It really bugs me that so many characters get ridiculous the attention to detail, yet iconic Nintendo staples like Bowser & DK can't have their regular voices for some reason.
The reason is a Sakurai-ism.

He has always seen Bowser and DK as more of kaiju and beast respectively, explaining their rather off kilter depictions in Melee/Brawl. It is only due to Nintendo mandate that the changes to them were made and even then all the Kaijuisms and old moves are simply retained in Gigabowser instead. As long as Nintendo does not outright force him to change them, I think the voices are a depiction we're ultimately stuck with.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
The reason is a Sakurai-ism.

He has always seen Bowser and DK as more of kaiju and beast respectively, explaining their rather off kilter depictions in Melee/Brawl.
Bowser and DK were like that in the 64/Melee era.

It just got grandfathered in with Brawl's "realism" approach and never adjusted for the changing times outside Bowser's movements starting in For.

Stratos

Smash Lord
If they ever get the Protagonist (or Taro Ninten) and Ayumi Tachibana from the Famicom Detective Club series as newcomers that would be great, but I'd also like to see what stage they think of setting for them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wonder if some of the voice change-overs could relate to stuff like unionizing? Nintendo is quite bad at paying properly for Union actors.

Like, at least some make a bit of sense at the time(DK and Bowser were clearly more on the animal side), but Diddy did not. He's based more upon his less animalistic take since DK64. That said, King K. Rool makes sense.

But yeah, paying more voice actors is a budget thing, so it's not surprising if some don't get changed over to avoid paying too much. Especially with some 3rd party and 1st party companies being quite picky. There's a reason we can't get a lot of good Pokemon colors in Smash, in a similar way.

Top Bottom