• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
I think Funky Kong would be more than just a surfboard character. He could incorporate into his attacks, sure, but he could maybe use items from Tropical Freeze or even Tawks from the Switch version. He could also use his tools like his hammer from DKC3.

EDIT: 1600th page has been reached!

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I don't wanna open another can of worms echo conversation, but I'll just say if Isabelle couldn't be an echo of Villager then Tom Nook can't be an echo of either of them. Just on a practical level, he has a different body type than the both of them so he'd likely have to be built from the ground up and end up a semiclone at worst. Isabelle required new animations across the board and was pretty much derivative of Villager completely by choice rather than limitation.

Like, I'd rather not continue to be a stickler after all that talk from earlier today but this is one where we have pretty concrete evidence.
On that list, Blaze and Tom Nook I pretty much only added because I really want them in, but not as much as some other characters and I would be fine with either of them coming in as echoes or semiclones despite how easily they could be unique, more than others.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think Funky Kong would be more than just a surfboard character. He could incorporate into his attacks, sure, but he could maybe use items from Tropical Freeze or even Tawks from the Switch version. He could also use his tools like his hammer from DKC3.

EDIT: 1600th page has been reached!
not to mention that massive weapon he has in 64

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think his armory in DK64 is another good point of reference for building a unique Funky Kong moveset. Obviously Donkey Kong would feel really weird grabbing a Coconut Gun, but Funky whipping out a Pineapple Launcher can easily work in my book. His role as kind of a shopkeep and resource provider for the Kongs opens up his repertoire tenfold.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
I think his armory in DK64 is another good point of reference for building a unique Funky Kong moveset. Obviously Donkey Kong would feel really weird grabbing a Coconut Gun, but Funky whipping out a Pineapple Launcher can easily work in my book. His role as kind of a shopkeep and resource provider for the Kongs opens up his repertoire tenfold.
Being a shopkeeper hasn't exactly helped Toad though :p

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Being a shopkeeper hasn't exactly helped Toad though :p
Fair enough, I guess we should mentally prepare ourselves for DK whipping out Funky Kong as a living shield next game.

Jokes aside, I wasn’t exactly saying it will help him be playable, it’s just more material to work with. As Laniv said I’d sooner expect Tom Nook to be Smash’s resident salesman. Although someone like Beedle would be pretty great too. That’s a fun archetype I’d like to see one way or another.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
But yeah, Funky is a character who is meant to be a character different from Donkey Kong. From fixing boats to selling and using weapons to using planes to using a surfboard, he does things DK would not do, so I can see he would be different.
Yeah! He would be either an alt skin of Donkey Kong or a totally different character with no midway. Like the missing link between Donkey Kong and Snake.
I can see the three of them marching to this:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
Do we think Lethal Company could get represented in the next game? It got a costume in Fortnite less than a year after release, which is crazy for an indie.
View attachment 394266
I'm not suggesting it get a fighter, but a Mii Costume seems reasonable.
I think it would be cool. It's not on a Nintendo console though, although that isn't an be-all and end-all type of deal; I just see it as a restricting factor as in "why go for this one IP that isn't on our systems when we could pick from a plethora of indies that are?"

I could definitely see it getting a Mii Costume.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
So, what do you guys think of Anna votes halting after the Fire Emblem Reddit getting a hold of the poll?
Not super familiar with FE (only played Awakening so far) but I think it's a bit of a shame. She's one of the franchise's very few recurring characters (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong) and having a fighter that's an archer and cunning shopkeeper sounds very cool. Anna is a Fire Emblem character I'd actually like to have which is something that I don't often say.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So, what do you guys think of Anna votes halting after the Fire Emblem Reddit getting a hold of the poll?
I like Anna a lot. I particularly like trickster characters and redheads. But I think a lot of her internal support comes from the community looking for a catch-all mascot or recurring face within the series. I do think that Tiki’s rise among the ranks speaks to this too though, a character who fulfills a similarly consistent role in the series but may have more pull across both sides of the pool. Since I believe she saw an influx in support after reaching the FE community. And I mean, she’s a manakete which is just flashy and cool, so I think her moveset potential resonates with people.

Personal bias aside, I think Tiki is probably the ideal choice if we ever wanted to attempt this kind of wide reaching FE character. I believe I voted for both Anna and Tiki myself, actually.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'll be honest...Anna was always gassed up far more among the Smash fanbase than she ever was in the actual Fire Emblem fanbase. For most of her existence, she was a "recurring" character in the same way that Nurse Joy was recurring in Pokémon. Like...literally the exact same way.

Her being made playable in Awakening was a cute bonus thing that was a side objective in-game with no bearing on the plot, to act as a celebration of the series. Then Fates made her playable because, hey, Awakening did it...and made her DLC locked. Then she wasn't in SoV because Gaiden was the only game without her at all. Then she was in Heroes as one of the Askr Trio! ...Only for her to basically never do anything but sometimes give exposition. You could remove her from Heroes and basically nothing would change outside of the tutorial. Then Warriors added her but like, it was Warriors.

This came to a head in Three Houses, which had the most superfluous Anna shoehorning of all. In a game that created so many characters beloved by the Fire Emblem fandom...Anna was a cardboard cutout with basically nothing besides "I like money." No supports either. She was there because she had to be there.

Engage at least managed to do something new with her by making the Elyos Anna be a child, giving a new spin on her character beyond "hello, I like money." And with that, it marked like the third time Anna felt like an actual character instead of a box on a checklist, after Awakening and (remarkably) Warriors (thanks to her Celica support).

Maybe it's harsh, but to me it always felt like the Anna push came purely from the Smash fandom overvaluing recurrence as a trait, without taking into account what those appearances are. To a lot of the Smash fandom, Anna is an iconic recurring character. To a lot of the Fire Emblem fandom...she's an easter egg who became playable in the game that would have been a send-off, and then sort of became a minor annoying obligation for several games afterward.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Yup, Anna is like a poster child for recurring =/= important. Never one of the most important characters in the game, arguably never even, like, top thirty tbh. She is a popular character, but not a mega-popular character on a level that would usually make waves in a more general Nintendo or Smash context. IMO it's the kind of character you might more seriously consider in a series that only has like 10 characters to pick from rather than like 1000.

Last edited:

robot067

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARR#319
Switch FC
SW-3961-8884-7684
View attachment 394262
Intro: Funky’s intro from Mario Super Sluggers.

Stance/Idle 1: Funky Kong’s idle stance from Tropical Freeze.
Idle 2: Funky Kong looks behind his shoulders.
Idle 3: Funky Kong scratches underneath his armpit.

Notable Palette Swaps
  1. Default
  2. Donkey Kong Jr. (white; his tank top is embedded with a J)
  3. Lanky Kong (orange)
  4. Chunky Kong (blue)
  5. Diddy Kong (red)
  6. Candy Kong (pink)
  7. Kiddy Kong (cyan)
  8. Donkey Kong 64 outfit (special costume)
Walk: Funky Kong’s run from Tropical Freeze.
Dash: Funky Kong surfs on water.
Damage: Funky Kong’s damage animation from Tropical Freeze.
Jump: Funky Kong’s jump and double jump from Tropical Freeze.
Crouch: Funky Kong’s crouch from Tropical Freeze.

Normal Attacks
Jab: Funky Kong loosely mimics Donkey Kong’s jab
Forward+A: A horizontal surfboard swing
Up+A: Funky Kong performs an uppercut with a shaka sign
Down+A: Funky Kong pokes along the ground with his surfboard
Dash Attack: Funky Kong screeches to a halt while summoning a wave
Edge Attack: Funky Kong rolls forward
Get-Up Attack: Funky Kong quickly hops onto his surfboard and performs a 360o spin

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Funky Kong spins his surfboard around himself, creating a whirlpool
Air Forward+A: Funky Kong claps forward, emitting a shockwave
Air Back + A: A horizontal surfboard swing that turns Funky around
Air Up+A: Funky Kong flips upside down and spins multiple times
Air Down+A: Funky Kong performs a hand slap while riding his surfboard

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: An upwards arcing swing with the surfboard
Up+A: Funky Kong performs a handstand while striking upward with his surfboard.
Down+A: Funky Kong performs a flaming spin while riding the Flame Runner

Grab Game
Grab: Funky Kong grabs the opponent with one hand.
Pummel: Funky Kong slaps the opponent twice
Forwards+Throw: Funky Kong headbutts the opponent
Back+Throw: A giant swing
Up+Throw: Funky Kong stomps on his surfboard with his arms folded as the opponent is launched into the air
Down+Throw: A piledriver

Special Moves
B : Funky Beats
; Funky Kong pulls out a boombox. If he gets hit during his groove, the opponent who attacked him is forced to taunt without the ability to cancel. If the counter activates while the opponent is in the air, the opponent is instead paralyzed.
B + ←→ : Flame Runner; Funky Kong hops onto the Flame Runner motorcycle and blitzes forward, leaving behind a trail of azure flames with an aura effect. The flames deal small damage but don’t flinch any opponents. Press up while riding to do a wheelie that hits multiple times.
B + ↑ : Surf’s Up; Funky Kong rides upward on his surfboard, hitting multiple times. Press B while rising to cancel into Funky Beats, during which Funky lays on his side and surfs forward.
B + ↓ : Bootlicker; Funky Kong points a rocket launcher with a boot towards the floor, which propels himself into the air. When used in the air, Funky instead fires at a downward diagonal angle.

Final Smash: Kong POW; Funky Kong gets into a Jumbo Barrel and flies into the direction he’s facing, hitting a single opponent. If it connects, the opponent is taken into a cutscene based on Funky’s boss beat down from Tropical Freeze, instantly dealing a Star K.O. if the opponent’s damage exceeds 100%. After the initial attack, the Jumbo Barrel crashes onto the ground and explodes, hurting anyone within the radius.

Taunts
Up: Funky Kong squeezes a banana and eats the inside.
Side: Funky Kong performs a finger spin with his surfboard.
Down: Funky Kong polishes his surfboard with a banana peel.

Winposes
1: Funky Kong performs a variation of the Akira slide, followed by his 1st place animation from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
2: Funky Kong rides on his surfboard and jumps into the air, followed by a handstand.
3: Funky Kong beats his chest in excitement before folding his arms.

Applause: Funky’s last place animation from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, complete with sad-looking eyebrows.
Icon: DK’s initials
Boxing Ring Title: The Funkiest with the Monkiest
Star K.O.: https://youtu.be/b1I9SgCFwZc?si=BZmaMcEudjkH5e7d&t=69
Victory Music: The opening notes of Funky Stadium
Kirby Hat: Funky’s Bandana and glasses (this changes to the one seen on Funky’s 64 outfit if Funky is wearing that)
A counter that forces you to taunt is a crazy idea, I love it :grin:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll be honest...Anna was always gassed up far more among the Smash fanbase than she ever was in the actual Fire Emblem fanbase. For most of her existence, she was a "recurring" character in the same way that Nurse Joy was recurring in Pokémon. Like...literally the exact same way.

Her being made playable in Awakening was a cute bonus thing that was a side objective in-game with no bearing on the plot, to act as a celebration of the series. Then Fates made her playable because, hey, Awakening did it...and made her DLC locked. Then she wasn't in SoV because Gaiden was the only game without her at all. Then she was in Heroes as one of the Askr Trio! ...Only for her to basically never do anything but sometimes give exposition. You could remove her from Heroes and basically nothing would change outside of the tutorial. Then Warriors added her but like, it was Warriors.

This came to a head in Three Houses, which had the most superfluous Anna shoehorning of all. In a game that created so many characters beloved by the Fire Emblem fandom...Anna was a cardboard cutout with basically nothing besides "I like money." No supports either. She was there because she had to be there.

Engage at least managed to do something new with her by making the Elyos Anna be a child, giving a new spin on her character beyond "hello, I like money." And with that, it marked like the third time Anna felt like an actual character instead of a box on a checklist, after Awakening and (remarkably) Warriors (thanks to her Celica support).

Maybe it's harsh, but to me it always felt like the Anna push came purely from the Smash fandom overvaluing recurrence as a trait, without taking into account what those appearances are. To a lot of the Smash fandom, Anna is an iconic recurring character. To a lot of the Fire Emblem fandom...she's an easter egg who became playable in the game that would have been a send-off, and then sort of became a minor annoying obligation for several games afterward.
I will say that Anna is more prominent now than she used to be (and you're underplaying her role in Heroes), but largely I agree.

Anna's resume would look really good if she wasn't from a franchise with over twenty headliners not in the game. She's a minor character in her franchise, and even after all the surprises, echo fighters and roster bloat... We still don't have any minor characters in Smash.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I will say that Anna is more prominent now than she used to be (and you're underplaying her role in Heroes), but largely I agree.

Anna's resume would look really good if she wasn't from a franchise with over twenty headliners not in the game. She's a minor character in her franchise, and even after all the surprises, echo fighters and roster bloat... We still don't have any minor characters in Smash.
Zombie and the Koopalings be like:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The Koopalings are world bosses in the games they appear in, and their debut game for that role was Super Mario Bros. 3, one of the biggest individual games of all time.

They're not minor characters.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Koopalings are world bosses in the games they appear in, and their debut game for that role was Super Mario Bros. 3, one of the biggest individual games of all time.

Moreover those are costumes.

The better argument would have been Piranha Plant, but I'd argue he's the exception that proves the rule.

Even still, he's more famous than 3/4 of the roster.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Adding on to this, the Koopalings and Zombie are both just alts over major characters, and aren't given their own separate slots.

Pupp135

Smash Champion
It doesn’t feel that shocking to me because I feel like most of her support in the overall SSB community comes from overemphasizing her trait of being the most recurring character in the series (She has been given more prominence though with playable appearances in games like Awakening and Three Houses, and she is a main protagonist in Heroes). Even though Anna is recurring, main protagonists with fewer recurring appearances like Lyn and the House Lords felt like they had a bigger impact on the series, and they’re more popular overall within the series.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Moreover those are costumes.

The better argument would have been Piranha Plant, but I'd argue he's the exception that proves the rule.

Even still, he's more famous than 3/4 of the roster.
Yeah, the only characters I would really say fit "minor character" is like Plant and Jigglypuff (though Jigglypuff was a very popular Pokemon at the time of 64, so she kinda gets a pass for the time she was added).

Even characters I was maybe about like Sheik, it's like "well that's literally an alternate form of Zelda from one of the biggest Zelda games ever, soooo..."

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Even characters I was maybe about like Sheik, it's like "well that's literally an alternate form of Zelda from one of the biggest Zelda games ever, soooo..."
I'd argue that even without the Zelda twist, Sheik is one of the main characters of OoT. You can't write the plot without her.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Anna’s acceptance comes from a misunderstanding - that she’s a sort of mascot for Fire Emblem, which she isn’t. I think if she was generally understood as a “minor” character she wouldn’t be requested much.

I just like her as a character, so I support her but for personal reasons and not as this unofficial face to the series. And I do think it’s charming that she appears so frequently, and they’re never the exact same Anna. It’s a quirkiness within the series that I think shows off its occasional lightheartedness. But yeah, especially given the progression of Fire Emblem in Smash as we know it Anna has never been in a very fortunate position and doesn’t play a prominent enough role in any major title.

Does anyone here feel any particular way about Tiki, though? She doesn’t have Anna’s attendance record but seems iconic enough of the series to have both an Assist Trophy and an amiibo. I can’t claim to be an expert on much beyond Awakening myself, so what makes her a more special case?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Makes sense. It's been said before, but Smash fans have a tendency to prioritize "representation" over actually prominent or popular characters. Anna is assumed to be a major character due to being one of the few recurring characters, but she just doesn't have much to her beyond being the funny merchant who shows up everywhere. Impa might be in a similar boat, being a recurring character but not being quite as important as the Triforce holders or the popular one-shot characters. But the Zelda subreddit turned the poll down, so we won't be able to answer that.

Tiki also gets some boosts for being a semi-recurring character, but unlike Anna, Tiki is usually playable and was the progenitor of the Manakete class, which gives her some tangible prominence. Plus, she managed to win a CYOH poll, so the core FE fandom seems quite fond of her as well.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Impa might be in a similar boat, being a recurring character but not being quite as important as the Triforce holders or the popular one-shot characters.
I didn’t want to say it, but the way people seem to feel about Anna has been how I have largely felt about Impa for a while.

Although I think if the poll is anything to go by, she’s popular enough now where it doesn’t really matter where that support came from. I personally felt too much of her initiative within the community comes from this scramble to find the next most recurring or important face. But when this support has managed to stick, who am I to really criticize. Striking appearances in Skyward Sword and the Warriors games have nicely helped things along.

And I’ll admit, Impa is far more important than Anna. And Zelda’s representation thus far does make it understandable why fans are desperate to find #4. Smash hasn’t shown itself too willing to go for those major one-shot characters yet so the ever-present Impa feels like a safe fallback. Unlike Anna who I feel is moreso brought up to push against the perceived status quo for Fire Emblem, rather than a sensible effort out of hunger to see the series expand.

Personally though, I’m more excited by the fleeting faces that have left their lasting impact rather than the supporting character who doesn’t quite have an appearance that singularly impactful. But I typed this up to say I at least understand why we got here.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Does anyone here feel any particular way about Tiki, though? She doesn’t have Anna’s attendance record but seems iconic enough of the series to have both an Assist Trophy and an amiibo. I can’t claim to be an expert on much beyond Awakening myself, so what makes her a more special case?
Compared to Anna, has fewer appearances overall but is more plot-important in her appearances than Anna. Although as discussed Anna's are a pretty low bar to clear, and I still wouldn't say Tiki is one of the handful of most important characters in any particular game. And like Anna, she actually is pretty popular within the FE fanbase, but it's not quite cream of the crop. So, to me at least, it's a pretty similarly flavored case to Anna overall. Though Anna I would say is more likely to keep reappearing even if it is in her usual minor roles; Tiki is pretty much confined to Marth's saga and Awakening, so I don't really see her reappearing with more frequency than any other older FE characters do.

Laniv

Smash Champion

Well, we have Piranha Plant, and...

Uh...

Hmm...

Huh. Guess a lot of these characters are pretty major in their home series. Even (in fact, especially) the one-offs.

...Young Link, I guess? He's a minor. :4pacman:

Meeeee I want Tiki (preferably Awakening Tiki)

I want her cause I think it'd be fun to have a Fire Emblem character who doesn't use a sword (or any traditional weapon) in any way. Just (I'd imagine) ballerina-like kicks, juxtaposed with ferocious dragon attacks, and, oh I don't know, beating them up with a rock.

Do I think she's likely? No, especially not with how they pick Fire Emblem characters these days. But dang she'd be cool

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I don't know that Tiki would ever really be in a position to be playable due to FE's rotating cast and how that works for their Smash picks, but I do think she has more going for her than most since she appeared in both Marth's games (the first/third/twelfth game iirc) and Awakening (the one that saved the series). She also usually shows up in spinoffs, like Warriors, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and even Dragalia Lost's FE crossover alongside Marth. She also appeared very recently in Engage as one of the DLC Emblems alongside characters like Chrom/Robin, Camilla, the House Lords, Hector, etc.

So I would say Tiki has more going for her than most, but she's held back by how FE usually tends to do Smash picks. Honestly I would go so far as to say if they didn't pick characters that way for Fire Emblem, she'd probably be playable already lol

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Tiki is what many people think Anna is. She's genuinely very popular. She's reoccurring but with plot important roles in every appearance. She gets top billing when she shows up in crossovers. She (and the manaketes as a whole) are a huge part of what make Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem. You could take Anna out of Fire Emblem and the games wouldn't be too different. You take Tiki out of Fire Emblem and the franchise loses its second most major character archetype. And unlike some of the other character archetype like lords where the most popular isn't necessarily the first, Tiki is the most popular dragon by far. It's not even close. There's a reason every Lord gets some discussion but no other manakete does (barring Corrin but that's a strange case).

Tiki herself is also a pretty wholesome character. It's fun to see her find a found family as a child and as an adult, it's cool to see just how far she's come. I would love Tiki in Smash.

Top Bottom