• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Estelle should get in for the music she would bring alone.
1726434487038.png

The options are limitless. Fingers crossed that with a smash inclusion, they get the SNK treatment of just having whatever.
And by god if we get Trails in Smash, they better not FF7 it and actually give it songs from across the series.
It aint complete if we don't GET OVER THE BARRIER

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
We do at times talk about more, let’s say wacky character choices. But let’s hear about some wacky stage ideas! I’ve suggested in the past a Pokemon Smile stage. Who else has bizarre ideas?
From Sonic the Hedgehog, I have just two words: Special Stage.

Not just any Special Stage, but the one based on the game that started it all, Sonic the Hedgehog 1. I can see the Goal Posts of that stage be usable as Danger Zones or whatever they are called. (The things in Smash that KO you if you are over 100 in damage).

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
We do at times talk about more, let’s say wacky character choices. But let’s hear about some wacky stage ideas! I’ve suggested in the past a Pokemon Smile stage. Who else has bizarre ideas?
How about a stage based on a board from Mario Party? And maybe a new Rainbow Road stage.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The next Wario Ware stage should be a Pyoro stage. The beans can fall to the floor and if they hit the floor, that part of the floor is temporarily removed.

It's a staple in Wario Ware and can give a nice recognizable location. That's a rarity for the franchise.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
a while back I posted a tier list for how likely I though fortnite skins were for the next smash. There's enough new stuff and stuff I forgot that I figured it was about time to redo it.
FNinSmash2.png

Already in: Snake, Pac-Man, Ryu

Frontrunners: Chun Li, Leon Kennedy, Jill Valentine, Chris Redfield, Doom Slayer

Very Reasonable: Nordic Warrior (Elder Scrolls), Master Chief, Jonesy, Ezio (Assasin's Creed), Raiden, Lara Croft

Non-Zero Chances: Claire Redfield, Jinx (League of Legends), Vi (League of Legends), Marcus Fenix (Gears of War), T-60 Power Armor (Fallout), Pac-Man Ghost, GALAXIAN

Mii or AT: Guile, Crewmate (Among Us), Employee (Lethal Company), Octane (Rocket League), Bean (Fall Guys)

ain't happening: Sakura, Blanka, Cammy, Eivor (Assasin's Creed), Alan Wake, Isaac Clarke (Dead Space), Kait Diaz (Gears of War), Claptrap (Borderlands), Distraction Dance (Henry Stickman), Goat (Goat Simulator)

Sony Jail: Kratos, Aloy, Nathan Drake, Chloe, Zavala (Destiny), Ikora (Destiny), Exo Stranger (Destiny)

Probably Not Allowed: Geralt, Ciri, Yennifer (The Witcher

Ivander

Smash Legend
a while back I posted a tier list for how likely I though fortnite skins were for the next smash. There's enough new stuff and stuff I forgot that I figured it was about time to redo it.
View attachment 394336
Already in: Snake, Pac-Man, Ryu

Frontrunners: Chun Li, Leon Kennedy, Jill Valentine, Chris Redfield, Doom Slayer

Very Reasonable: Nordic Warrior (Elder Scrolls), Master Chief, Jonesy, Ezio (Assasin's Creed), Raiden, Lara Croft

Non-Zero Chances: Claire Redfield, Jinx (League of Legends), Vi (League of Legends), Marcus Fenix (Gears of War), T-60 Power Armor (Fallout), Pac-Man Ghost, GALAXIAN

Mii or AT: Guile, Crewmate (Among Us), Employee (Lethal Company), Octane (Rocket League), Bean (Fall Guys)

ain't happening: Sakura, Blanka, Cammy, Eivor (Assasin's Creed), Alan Wake, Isaac Clarke (Dead Space), Kait Diaz (Gears of War), Claptrap (Borderlands), Distraction Dance (Henry Stickman), Goat (Goat Simulator)

Sony Jail: Kratos, Aloy, Nathan Drake, Chloe, Zavala (Destiny), Ikora (Destiny), Exo Stranger (Destiny)

Probably Not Allowed: Geralt, Ciri, Yennifer (The Witcher
"Could get a Mii or AT" sees the first character

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The Switch may not have been the most powerful console nor the most hardcore but it gave us some really cool revivals.
I did my part. I bought:

Mega Man 11
Ghosts n Goblins Resurrection
Contra Operation Galuga
Several River City games
Multiple Castlevania Collections
Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters
Trials of Mana

I'll be getting the Dragon Quest Remakes and Trails in the Sky as well.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I know this isn't necessarily relevant to the point Louie was trying to make, but the picture got me curious: how would you guys feel if the characters in this picture (save for maybe Yoshi and Wario) were part of the Mario fighter lineup in Smash?
I'd be an instant Cheep Cheep main

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
I'd put Pilgor in "could get AT" category.

Goat Simulator is:
-On Switch
-Available in Japan
-a successful and popular indie franchise
-something Sakurai is on record for having played

Conversely, Lethal Company is in "Not going to happen" tier.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Conversely, Lethal Company is in "Not going to happen" tier.
I wouldn't be that dismissive of Lethal Company
-Very popular and successful
-Seemingly popular in japan (Note: my reference is primarily japanese streamers playing the game so YMMV)
-Creator is open to crossovers

Like maybe not an assist or character but I can see a mii costume or spirit.

Ivander

Smash Legend
-Seemingly popular in japan (Note: my reference is primarily japanese streamers playing the game so YMMV)

Just make the Bracken into an Assist Trophy. Your character has to look at it every bit, but they can't look away much or look at it too much or else they get captured and taken to the blast zone.

And it eventually takes the lakitu bro holding the camera because the camera can't stop looking at it.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord

Until it appears on a Nintendo system and with an actual Japanese release, I will dismiss it all I want.

This is like the bare minimum for the indies we have in Smash.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Until it appears on a Nintendo system and with an actual Japanese release, I will dismiss it all I want.

This is like the bare minimum for the indies we have in Smash.
While this is currently true, I'm still gonna personally leave the door open for this to eventually not be a thing.

After all, remember when people thought Cloud would never happen because of the PlayStation association? And I think someone who really wanted Joker, a character who at the time was extremely far removed from Nintendo, got laughed at until they got vindicated with the Joker reveal.

Yes, these are not indie examples, but when the only hard rule is that the content has to originate from a video game, I'm willing to assume any rule we come up with besides that one could be broken one day.

Last edited:

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
Now that the next Switch is looking to be announced soon it seems the speculation will be ramping up as well. I have one interesting question for you all since this impacted the addition of newcomers in previous Smash games like what happened with ARMs and XC2.

When do you think the project plan was finalized for the cut-off date for newcomers?
most likely around the start of this year, end of last year for the project plan; that lines up with sakurai’s comments, the end of tekken 8 development, and bandai namco’s hiring and restructuring. with a typical 2.5-3 year smash dev cycle that gives us a likely release in holiday 2026

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
While this is currently true, I'm still gonna personally leave the door open for this to eventually not be a thing.

After all, remember when people thought Cloud would never happen because of the PlayStation association? And I think someone who really wanted Joker, a character who at the time was extremely far removed from Nintendo, got laughed at until they got vindicated with the Joker reveal.

Yes, these are not indie examples, but when the only hard rule is that the content has to originate from a video game, I'm willing to assume any rule we come up with besides that one could be broken one day.
At least in Cloud and Joker's cases, it was still extremely likely that the people making Smash and deciding the roster knew about them. Sakurai's a hardcore enough gamer that he would import games from the west, but the people he's working with and the Nintendo execs choosing the DLC, it's not guaranteed.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord

Not only are those not indie, but the franchises have been on Nintendo systems even if the source games for the characters had not prior to their inclusion in Smash. Lethal Company has not outside of Fortnite.

And I'm just now realizing the irony that Halo has not either yet just like Lethal Company has Fortnite.
So I will admit I have to be consistent and say there's a chance that Fortnite is enough for both, but I'm still not convinced for the time being.

So for now, I will concede given a technicality in place since Fortnite covers both "Nintendo appearance" and "Japan".

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Generally, I think having titles on Nintendo systems is less a requirement and more an indicator that Nintendo and the third-party company have a connection. Obviously Nintendo has to communicate with the other company for the rights, and if they're close enough to negotiate for those rights, it's also likely they've put those games on the Switch already.

In this case, Lethal Company's pretty damn big for an indie, so it seems like a logical decision to put it on the Switch and/or the Switch 2. That would then open the door to a possible Smash presence later down the line. It's no guarantee, of course, but I think there's a nonzero chance of Lethal Company in Smash, even if it's something as small as a Mii Costume or Spirit.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I must be getting tired as just now realized in the last hour I was reading all the references to Lethal Company as Lethal Enforcers.

Though, admittedly you could do worse than having a Blue Enforcer gun as a Smash item.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
We're close to start a new Smash Hype cycle, so I'm accordingly changing my avatar to another character I'm supportive of. I haven't stopped supporting Arle, but Alear is probably my most wanted right now.
Absolutely based decision. Alear would be awesome.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So tonight Splatoon 3 has concluded it's content updates with the Grand Festival and Past (Squid Sisters) v Present (Off The Hook) v Future (Deep Cut) Splatfest

with Team Past winning in the end

So with that what is your opinions on any of the Now or Never Seven getting into Smash?

I think these Idols are some of Nintendo's best characters. I feel that the Squid Sisters were a paradigm shift and I hope they get promoted from Assist to a Fighter. But if Off The Hook or Deep Cut were added instead I would not complain at all.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So with that what is your opinions on any of the Now or Never Seven getting into Smash?
I've been pushing hard for Off the Hook, because I think the idols are compelling enough to have in Smash and those two offer the clearest contrast in personality and design. But these results installed a bit of a reality check in me, recognizing that Squid Sisters will likely continue to persist while the likes of Off the Hook or Deep Cut are in danger of being shafted over to DLC campaigns and minor roles again.

I'm not sure what this victory means for the next campaign, if it was going to influence which idol team appeared as well as the obvious Past theme that it will likely explore. But with Squid Sisters appearing in three campaigns thus far and cinching victory here I think their future looks secure. So if the goal was to choose a more evergreen set of characters, they're probably the move.

Still I just think Off the Hook brings more to the table. Their favorite weapon types are more interesting (dualies and splatbrella), they better sell the offense vs defense dichotomy that a duo like this would probably want to lean into, and frankly they seem to be the most popular. Team Present had a whopping 57% participation juxtaposed with the other two pooling around 20% each. I hope there is a future for Off the Hook and that their dynamic characterization and design inspires something in Sakurai. But color me unsurprised if Squid Sisters win out instead.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
So tonight Splatoon 3 has concluded it's content updates with the Grand Festival and Past (Squid Sisters) v Present (Off The Hook) v Future (Deep Cut) Splatfest

with Team Past winning in the end

I think these Idols are some of Nintendo's best characters. I feel that the Squid Sisters were a paradigm shift and I hope they get promoted from Assist to a Fighter. But if Off The Hook or Deep Cut were added instead I would not complain at all.
The problem the the idols is that all of them (with the exception of Frye if Splatfests are anything to go by) have all become massively popular.

So it'll have to be either all of them or none of them, and each one have such radically different sizes that making them alts would not work (not to mention there's not enough idols to fill all 8 alt slots unless you shove Acht in there)

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The problem the the idols is that all of them (with the exception of Frye if Splatfests are anything to go by) have all become massively popular.

So it'll have to be either all of them or none of them
This is a bit silly. I'm personally under the impression that they would add one pair (or trio, I suppose) of idols as a team, so they wouldn't have to pick only one specific idol, but the fact that each group is tremendously popular doesn't mean we can only have all or none.

This is the same fallacy we all fell for back in Smash 4 when we didn't think any Pokemon starter could be added on their own at risk of showing favoritism over the others. Except this is further than that, just separate characters all with distinct roles in their respective feature games and modes. Squid Sisters would be the legacy adds, Off the Hook are arguably the most dynamic and popular, and Deep Cut are the new kids on the block. You can make strong individual cases for any of these independently from one another, and all three fulfill their own unique roles in each game, so I don't think the Smash team would feel that remiss about only being able to incorporate one group because they aren't interchangeable like that.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
This is a bit silly. I'm personally under the impression that they would add one pair (or trio, I suppose) of idols as a team, so they wouldn't have to pick only one specific idol, but the fact that each group is tremendously popular doesn't mean we can only have all or none.

This is the same fallacy we all fell for back in Smash 4 when we didn't think any Pokemon starter could be added on their own at risk of showing favoritism over the others. Except this is further than that, just separate characters all with distinct roles in their respective feature games and modes. Squid Sisters would be the legacy adds, Off the Hook are arguably the most dynamic and popular, and Deep Cut are the new kids on the block. You can make strong individual cases for any of these independently from one another, and all three fulfill their own unique roles in each game, so I don't think the Smash team would feel that remiss about only being able to incorporate one group because they aren't interchangeable like that.
Well, if I had to pick specifically only one, I'd pick Off the Hook for a single, two-word reason.

1726461077158.png

Pearl Drone.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I've been pushing hard for Off the Hook, because I think the idols are compelling enough to have in Smash and those two offer the clearest contrast in personality and design. But these results installed a bit of a reality check in me, recognizing that Squid Sisters will likely continue to persist while the likes of Off the Hook or Deep Cut are in danger of being shafted over to DLC campaigns and minor roles again.

I'm not sure what this victory means for the next campaign, if it was going to influence which idol team appeared as well as the obvious Past theme that it will likely explore. But with Squid Sisters appearing in three campaigns thus far and cinching victory here I think their future looks secure. So if the goal was to choose a more evergreen set of characters, they're probably the move.

Still I just think Off the Hook brings more to the table. Their favorite weapon types are more interesting (dualies and splatbrella), they better sell the offense vs defense dichotomy that a duo like this would probably want to lean into, and frankly they seem to be the most popular. Team Present had a whopping 57% participation juxtaposed with the other two pooling around 20% each. I hope there is a future for Off the Hook and that their dynamic characterization and design inspires something in Sakurai. But color me unsurprised if Squid Sisters win out instead.
I constantly flip-flop on whether or not I want Squid Sisters or Off The Hook in the game more. Squid Sisters have the legacy and could pull from so many different things that they've done in the series already and it just feels right for them to be in the game already. but Off The Hook I prefer as characters and as you said their preferred weapons are more interesting and what they do in the games is also allows for more potential open endedness in the moveset (Like incorporating the Pearl Drone for instance)

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
and could pull from so many different things that they've done in the series already
They... really haven't done much, when you think about it.

We know Callie mains Rollers and Marie mains Chargers but otherwise, they tend to stand around and act as support rather than actively participate in anything.

Not to say a full moveset can't be made but compared to the other groups, Squid Sisters kinda fall flat and would only be chosen due to legacy. Assist Trophy is unironically the best position they can have imo. Then again, I thought the same about Isabelle and I turned out to be wrong so...

Like, Off the Hook have so much potential, from the more mechanically unique dualies and brellas to the usage of Pearl Drone. And that's not even going over Marina's engineering skills, Pearl having her personal Killer Wail called the "Princess Cannon" or that she can scream so loudly it shatters entire buildings.

As for Deep Cut, they have entire boss fights with all sorts of crazy abilities. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
They... really haven't done much, when you think about it.

We know Callie mains Rollers and Marie mains Chargers but otherwise, they tend to stand around and act as support rather than actively participate in anything.

Not to say a full moveset can't be made but compared to the other groups, Squid Sisters kinda fall flat and would only be chosen due to legacy. Assist Trophy is unironically the best position they can have imo. Then again, I thought the same about Isabelle and I turned out to be wrong so...

Like, Off the Hook have so much potential, from the more mechanically unique dualies and brellas to the usage of Pearl Drone. And that's not even going over Marina's engineering skills, Pearl having her personal Killer Wail called the "Princess Cannon" or that she can scream so loudly it shatters entire buildings.

As for Deep Cut, they have entire boss fights with all sorts of crazy abilities. 'Nuff said.
I meant it more in the sense that they were there for every base game campaign and have always been a presence in the series so they could theoretically use anything from any game and an original moveset could be crafted.

but like you said, Off The Hook and Deep Cut have done way more in game and have more obvious movesets.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, think we'll get news this week?

Top Bottom