• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
How do you all feel about an indie fighter in the next Smash?

I feel like it's likely in the next game compared to previous Smash titles, precisely because a lot of indie darling successes released during the Switch compared to previous Nintendo consoles, so much so that Nintendo has even decided to organize a whole presentation specifically for them.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So, think we'll get news this week?
I can go 50/50

It was really weird that they did that double direct and from all accounts they absolutely pushed up their slate (even things like not having a pokemon presents in august and instead relegating it to Pokemon Worlds) and I see no reason to do that unless they have something big this month

Unfortunately we are talking about Nintendo, sometimes they just do things.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

I feel like it's likely in the next game compared to previous Smash titles, precisely because a lot of indie darling successes released during the Switch compared to previous Nintendo consoles, so much so that Nintendo has even decided to organize a whole presentation specifically for them.
It's almost granted we'll get an indie rep. And the list of candidates is pretty long.
This for example is Sybil from Pseudoregalia, a metroidvanian game in N64 style you can easyly find gameplay of:
664255df6cd71.jpg

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

I think an indie is pretty likely just from the big potential candidates we have. Sans, Cuphead, and Shantae all got Mii Costumes with music tracks (alongside Shantae and Risky Boots getting spirits in the base game and Cuphead getting Spirits eventually), and Shovel Knight was an Assist Trophy with a few Spirits of his own.

I think realistically any of them could have a shot next game, especially Sans (or some other Undertale character if not him) and Shantae.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've been pushing hard for Off the Hook, because I think the idols are compelling enough to have in Smash and those two offer the clearest contrast in personality and design. But these results installed a bit of a reality check in me, recognizing that Squid Sisters will likely continue to persist while the likes of Off the Hook or Deep Cut are in danger of being shafted over to DLC campaigns and minor roles again.

I'm not sure what this victory means for the next campaign, if it was going to influence which idol team appeared as well as the obvious Past theme that it will likely explore. But with Squid Sisters appearing in three campaigns thus far and cinching victory here I think their future looks secure. So if the goal was to choose a more evergreen set of characters, they're probably the move.

Still I just think Off the Hook brings more to the table. Their favorite weapon types are more interesting (dualies and splatbrella), they better sell the offense vs defense dichotomy that a duo like this would probably want to lean into, and frankly they seem to be the most popular. Team Present had a whopping 57% participation juxtaposed with the other two pooling around 20% each. I hope there is a future for Off the Hook and that their dynamic characterization and design inspires something in Sakurai. But color me unsurprised if Squid Sisters win out instead.
To be fair, if off The Hook consistently shows up in DLC campaigns, that implies they're big enough to be selling points, right? On top of topping the popularity votes as well. After all, the Splatfests are determined by how well the team plays, not straight popularity. Though you're also right about the Squid Sisters being front and center for each main game. I'd say both parties have a chance.

Which kinda leaves Deep Cut in last place, huh. Probably doesn't help that they end up out of focus for Splatoon 3's story mode, or so I've heard

Honestly I'm pretty optimistic for indie candidates. A lot of 'em have been critically and financially successful and sprung off into series of their own. The ones I'd look out for off the top of my head:
  1. Sans is pretty obvious. He just got a Mii Fighter and everyone went ballistic, surely Nintendo's aware of that
  2. Hades got rave reviews and is now getting a sequel whose early access state has more content than the entire first game. Zagreus, or perhaps Melinoe, seem like potential rising stars. Plus, Nintendo published the physical release of Hades for the Switch, which suggests Nintendo and Supergiant are pretty damn close
  3. Touhou is hard to gauge. It's massive in Japan, but pretty niche in the West and is only just now getting localizations, but the Western fanbase is still big enough to churn out translations in a couple days. Also the weird fact that 90% of it's output are fanworks; Even with fangame-friendly series like Minecraft and Sonic, you'll be aware of the official game first and foremost. I'd keep an eye on Reimu, but with a lot of question marks attached
  4. Shantae's interesting in that I don't think any one specific game is held up as a big genre-shaking title, but she has a decent support base. I think her biggest bonus is that WayForward's carved out a name for themselves, even working on a couple Nintendo titles, whereas most indie companies only ever work on one game at a time
  5. Shovel Knight is kind of the mascot of the mid-2010's indie boom, but he's kind of gone on a lull lately. He's certainly still active, but he's no longer THE indie guy who's in every indie game. Still, he's already got a foot in the door with the Assist Trophy, has had consisted releases for a solid decade now, and Yacht Club's teased something big on the horizon, so I won't say he's dead yet
  6. Does Bloodstained count as indie? I think it's fairly indie, but I think 505 Games is at least an AA publisher. Regardless, it broke Kickstarter records and later went on to sell 5 million copies. That's oughta count for something. Miriam could also count for a third Castlevania fighter
It's almost granted we'll get an indie rep. And the list of candidates is pretty long.
This for example is Sybil from Pseudoregalia, a metroidvanian game in N64 style you can easyly find gameplay of:
View attachment 394353
Ah, Pseudoregalia. Don't think it's quite at the level of the indie big boys yet, but I've heard good things about it. Tried it out last week, turns out my laptop's older integrated Intel chip simply does not like Unreal Engine 5, which Pseudoregalia runs on, and so I couldn't even get past the first breakable wall. The only other option was to download a mod that removed basically every effect; Can't even afford the little slash lines for the attacks.
Mokou.jpg

Pain. Anguish. Suffering, even

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Touhou is hard to gauge. It's massive in Japan, but pretty niche in the West and is only just now getting localizations, but the Western fanbase is still big enough to churn out translations in a couple days. Also the weird fact that 90% of it's output are fanworks; Even with fangame-friendly series like Minecraft and Sonic, you'll be aware of the official game first and foremost. I'd keep an eye on Reimu, but with a lot of question marks attached
I like to think Reimu is at least somewhat likely through the connections the series has kinda made for itself like Taiko no Tatsujin usually having a few Touhou tracks in them (or at least versions done by circles) and thus having a small connection to the company helping to make Smash, not to mention things like ZUN potentially having a connection to Sakurai through Toby Fox, though obviously that depends on a number of things. ZUN has also expressed interest in having a character in Smash but obviously as he said, "that's not something I can make happen by just thinking about it."

She's still sort of in my copium wants, but I do think there is a chance (even if just a small one) for Reimu.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I do genuinely wonder if we'll ever get a playable character who's never been on a Nintendo console, whatsoever. There have been some pretty big games lately that weren't on the Switch.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Reimu isn't that farfetched of a newcomer for the next game, Sakurai and ZUN are only one degree of separation apart thanks to Toby Fox. :bowsette:

Plus I'm sure deep down in his heart Sakurai wants to have a go at designing a bullet hell character in Smash to drive the player base insane. :troll:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I do genuinely wonder if we'll ever get a playable character who's never been on a Nintendo console, whatsoever. There have been some pretty big games lately that weren't on the Switch.
At this point, it'd be pretty difficult, at least for any reasonable character.

Via the nature of collabs (fortnite), just about anyone and anything you can think of has made at least a tangential appearance on a nintendo console or will make one if they haven't already.
1726472959013.png

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So tonight Splatoon 3 has concluded it's content updates with the Grand Festival and Past (Squid Sisters) v Present (Off The Hook) v Future (Deep Cut) Splatfest

with Team Past winning in the end

So with that what is your opinions on any of the Now or Never Seven getting into Smash?

I think these Idols are some of Nintendo's best characters. I feel that the Squid Sisters were a paradigm shift and I hope they get promoted from Assist to a Fighter. But if Off The Hook or Deep Cut were added instead I would not complain at all.
someone from the first 4 would be neat. some from the most recent 3 would be dull

not really

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’d personally love to see a WarCraft character like Illidan Stormrage in Smash. I think WarCraft is the only major Blizzard franchise that has never appeared on a Nintendo console.

I know there’s been a few spinoff League of Legends games on the Switch but does anyone know if Jinx or Vi specifically have appeared on the console? The only LoL games I’ve played are Ruined King (and RPG on the Switch) and Runeterra (a digital card game on PC).

Then there’s my personal favorite gaming character, Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy, who would be awesome but is never happening realistically.

Last edited:

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I think Off The Hook having such a strong showing in this splatfest in terms of pure popularity helps their case if anything. The Squid Sisters have the legacy and match in popularity, but from there Off The Hook presents more for a moveset and are I think more diverse and engaging as additions. I could see it going either way.

I've been batting pretty hard for The Tarnished from Elden Ring, and I could see an avenue where the Tarnished is chosen to be added before Elden Ring itself gets ported. I still feel pretty confident on an Elden Ring port being a big marquis reveal for the Switch 2 in the same manner as Skyrim, but I think the Tarnished makes a ton of sense as an addition even outside of that, and could possibly have been chosen to be added before that port manifests.

For what it's worth, Kazuya had 0 presence on the Switch when he was added lol.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Off The Hook’s Team Present got 50% of the popularity vote for a three-way vote, so unless the outcome of the Splatfest itself is going to significantly impact an eventual Splatoon 4, I doubt that Off The Hook will be phased out in favor of the Squid Sisters. In fact, the Cuttlefish//Squid Sister-central single-player “Octo Valley” saga came to an end with Splatoon 3’s Story Mode, so there’s even confirmation that the story mode will move away from the Squid Sisters to some extent.

Besides the (in my opinion minute or interchangeable) differences in popularity and importance, I subscribe to the notion that Off The Hook simply has a more cohesive moveset potential.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
WRT Splatoon idols in Smash Bros: Yeah, Off the Hook is the clear frontrunner here. They're the most popular group by a country mile, and Side Order and Octo Expansion gave them a wealth of moveset potential to work with.

Plus, Marina is black and we really do need a black character at this point

Conversely, Deep Cut would be lucky to get AT status. RIP to them

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If we get anything, it'll be a cheeky "we're gonna reveal the sequel to the Nintendo Switch soon"

That June Direct was way too ****ing packed for me to even consider the idea of them having enough ammo for another 40-minute Direct.

Which kinda leaves Deep Cut in last place, huh. Probably doesn't help that they end up out of focus for Splatoon 3's story mode, or so I've heard
They definitely have focus due to being the main boss encounters, something no idol has done before or at least not willingly. The problem is that since they are bosses, they really only get anything in their individual levels, the occasional collectible and are lucky to have gotten anything in the last moments after realizing they opposed you due to a massive misunderstanding, leaving them with very little room for us to get to really know them.

Compare that with Off the Hook in Octo Expansion giving us info on how they've become a band and the journey each of its members took to get there and having a peek of what they were up to between Splatoon 2 and 3 through Side Order's in-game blog posts, or Squid Sisters getting major roles in all three games as well as Splatoon 2's pre-release marketing giving us a peek into lives (in a Marie POV) after the Callie vs Marie Splatfest.

Deep Cut feels fairly one-dimensional when put against the other idols. Sure, you can find stuff if you seek out some interviews and stuff, but the fact that they're the only idol group where outside search is required to get to know them is a bad sign no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
If we get anything, it'll be a cheeky "we're gonna reveal the sequel to the Nintendo Switch soon"

That June Direct was way too ****ing packed for me to even consider the idea of them having enough ammo for another 40-minute Direct.

They definitely have focus due to being the main boss encounters, something no idol has done before or at least not willingly. The problem is that since they are bosses, they really only get anything in their individual levels, the occasional collectible and are lucky to have gotten anything in the last moments after realizing they opposed you due to a massive misunderstanding, leaving them with very little room for us to get to really know them.

Compare that with Off the Hook in Octo Expansion giving us info on how they've become a band and the journey each of its members took to get there and having a peek of what they were up to between Splatoon 2 and 3 through Side Order's in-game blog posts, or Squid Sisters getting major roles in all three games as well as Splatoon 2's pre-release marketing giving us a peek into lives (in a Marie POV) after the Callie vs Marie Splatfest.

Deep Cut feels fairly one-dimensional when put against the other idols. Sure, you can find stuff if you seek out some interviews and stuff, but the fact that they're the only idol group where outside search is required to get to know them is a bad sign no matter how you look at it.
Things like character depth aren’t as relevant to Smash playability than finding a way to make three separate characters with different body types work as a single playable unit in Smash too.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Things like character depth aren’t as relevant to Smash playability than finding a way to make three separate characters with different body types work as a single playable unit in Smash too.
They're not, but it would definitely affect things like popularity, and if Sakurai had to pick between two groups that have a lot of potential for unique movesets, he would...

I was about to say he'd pick the most popular but that's blatantly untrue. He'd pick the most unique so Deep Cut being the first simultaneous 3-in-1 fighter has a good enough niche to take the spot over the other groups (assuming the hardware can handle it).

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord

Obligatory text

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Reimu isn't that farfetched of a newcomer for the next game, Sakurai and ZUN are only one degree of separation apart thanks to Toby Fox.
Reimu is more Mii material than Fighter.

I like that we basically have top 5 for indie picks for the next Smash now with Shantae, Shovel Knight, Sans, Cuphead, and Zagreus.
Still don't consider Shantae indie, because WayForward is too big to be considered and indie dev anymore.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Reimu is more Mii material than Fighter.

Still don't consider Shantae indie, because WayForward is too big to be considered and indie dev anymore.
That does make me think. If a character was created when the company was still a small indie developer but it later grew so much that they aren’t really considered indie anymore, how many people would still classify that character as indie? The most extreme example I can think of here is Steve from Minecraft. In his case, the series has grown so much that it’s kind of weird to even think about him as indie but I think he was in the very beginning. At what point does a character of indie origins stop being indie?

osby

Smash Obsessed
That does make me think. If a character was created when the company was still a small indie developer but it later grew so much that they aren’t really considered indie anymore, how many people would still classify that character as indie? The most extreme example I can think of here is Steve from Minecraft. In his case, the series has grown so much that it’s kind of weird to even think about him as indie but I think he was in the very beginning. At what point does a character of indie origins stop being indie?
Steve's case looks pretty straightforward to me: he's not owned by an indie developer anymore so he's not an indie character.

Other than that, I believe not all indie developers need to be small studios but I know a lot of people would disagree with me.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That point is extremely nebulous, as the definition is...IIRC it's actually entirely undefined formally within the gaming space. You can also see this with the "AA" classification of games, which can be AAA games that look like indie games, and indie games that have the visual quality that's closer to what AAA studios make. This also implies that indie games are A games, but that's neither here nor there.
  • Minecraft is pretty cut and dry, it's owned and developed by a AAA studio, so it's a AAA game now.
  • Ori is a bit odd because it's developed by an indie studio and published by a AAA studio. I imagine in that case if you consider it an indie, it would be because they were allowed artistic freedom.
  • Shantae is also debatable, as Wayforward is a well established publisher, but they aren't really a AAA studio when it comes to making their own games.
    • Or maybe they are, what even is a AAA studio?
To try and answer that last question, I think Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Bandai-Namco, Sega, Capcom, Riot Games, Bethezda, EA Studios, and Activision-Blizzard all count, but that's probably not even close to being comprehensive. Going back to Wayforward, it's definitely bigger and more well established than most indie teams, but it's also not really comparable to the likes of Nintendo or anything either. I'd say studios like Level-5 are like this too, and heck, even Yacht Club might be there as well. Should we consider them AA studios? Does that make them not indie?

Honestly there's so many question marks, I'm not sure we'll actually get past "it's indie because the majority says so" on edge cases unless something bad or at least very noticable happens.

Last edited:

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
What is "indie" and how it's defined within the industry is weird, but it definitely boils down to publisher. People probably wouldn't consider Streets of Rage 4 or House of the Dead Remake to be indie games but both titles were announced/featured in Indie World presentations, and it's probably because despite the licensing obviously coming from SEGA the publishing was all handled by smaller independent studios. What is and isn't indie has a small layer of personal feeling to it, I guess.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
quick move list for Chun-Li translated to Smash

rapid jab: Lightning Kick

Neutral B: Kikoken (QCF + B for stronger version, similar mechanics to Ryu's Hadoken can vary speeds, etc.)

Side B: Spinning Bird Kick (hold back then forward + B for stronger version or HCF + B if charge input isn't workable)

Up B: Spinning Air Kick (Tenshokyaku, hold down then up + B for stronger version see Terry's strong Rising Tackle)

Down B:
Alpha Counter (Street Fighter Alpha series)

OR

Drive Reversal (most likely DR to bring an SF6 mechanic to Smash and differentiates herself from Ryu who keeps SF4's Focus Attack)

*OR

Hazanshu (HCB + B for stronger version) thanks to ninjahmos ninjahmos for the suggestion

Final Smash:

near opponent: Hoyokusen

far from opponent: Kikosho

alts:

4 Classic, 1 Alpha, 3 SF6

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Decided to make a newcomer prediction pic after seeing Max and Matt's video on MvC4 roster prediction videos.
So tonight Splatoon 3 has concluded it's content updates with the Grand Festival and Past (Squid Sisters) v Present (Off The Hook) v Future (Deep Cut) Splatfest

with Team Past winning in the end

So with that what is your opinions on any of the Now or Never Seven getting into Smash?

I think these Idols are some of Nintendo's best characters. I feel that the Squid Sisters were a paradigm shift and I hope they get promoted from Assist to a Fighter. But if Off The Hook or Deep Cut were added instead I would not complain at all.
I have a better idea. For each idol group, which member is the best and the most popular? For me it's Shiver, Pearl, and Marie. One of those 3 will be in Smash as a fighter

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'd put Pilgor in "could get AT" category.

Goat Simulator is:
-On Switch
-Available in Japan
-a successful and popular indie franchise
-something Sakurai is on record for having played
Fair enough on Goat Simulator. The reason it was so low down was because the fortnite skin is... this, instead of anything from the actual game.
1726503565783.png

I don't think we're going to get Horrifying Realistic Goat from Fortnite as a Goat Simulator rep.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’d personally love to see a WarCraft character like Illidan Stormrage in Smash. I think WarCraft is the only major Blizzard franchise that has never appeared on a Nintendo console.

I know there’s been a few spinoff League of Legends games on the Switch but does anyone know if Jinx or Vi specifically have appeared on the console? The only LoL games I’ve played are Ruined King (and RPG on the Switch) and Runeterra (a digital card game on PC).

Then there’s my personal favorite gaming character, Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy, who would be awesome but is never happening realistically.
Jinx and Vi have a Switch presence because of Fortnite.

It's always Fortnite, man.

Aside from that I believe the LoL mobile version (Forgot the name) is on the Switch too, and Jinx is used as the face of that one, at least on mobile.
That point is extremely nebulous, as the definition is...IIRC it's actually entirely undefined formally within the gaming space. You can also see this with the "AA" classification of games, which can be AAA games that look like indie games, and indie games that have the visual quality that's closer to what AAA studios make. This also implies that indie games are A games, but that's neither here nor there.
  • Minecraft is pretty cut and dry, it's owned and developed by a AAA studio, so it's a AAA game now.
  • Ori is a bit odd because it's developed by an indie studio and published by a AAA studio. I imagine in that case if you consider it an indie, it would be because they were allowed artistic freedom.
  • Shantae is also debatable, as Wayforward is a well established publisher, but they aren't really a AAA studio when it comes to making their own games.
    • Or maybe they are, what even is a AAA studio?
To try and answer that last question, I think Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Bandai-Namco, Sega, Capcom, Riot Games, Bethezda, EA Studios, and Activision-Blizzard all count, but that's probably not even close to being comprehensive. Going back to Wayforward, it's definitely bigger and more well established than most indie teams, but it's also not really comparable to the likes of Nintendo or anything either. I'd say studios like Level-5 are like this too, and heck, even Yacht Club might be there as well. Should we consider them AA studios? Does that make them not indie?

Honestly there's so many question marks, I'm not sure we'll actually get past "it's indie because the majority says so" on edge cases unless something bad or at least very noticable happens.
AAA is generally taken to mean really big games with massive budgets, long dev times, and a lot of people working on it. A company that can publish lots of games and actually fund a AAA game would be AAA. WayForward's made and published quite a few games over the years, but I highly doubt Shante and the Seven Sirens had a budget that's even close to Monster Hunter World or God of War: Ragnarok. That would comfortably list them as a AA studio. Still, WayForward has some long-running ties to other indie games thanks to their roots. I think we can reasonably call them "honorary" indies, if nothing else.

AA itself is, as you mentioned, pretty nebulous. That said, it usually means "mid-level games." Sometimes that means well-established (former?) indie studios, like Supergiant or WayForward. Other times it means smaller titles by AAA studios that don't take a billion dollars and a million years to make, like the Another Code remakes, or Kunitsu-Gami.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I have a better idea. For each idol group, which member is the best and the most popular?
Squid Sisters and Deep Cut have easy answers due to their Splatfests. Numbers may be different today but it's still a metric we can use.

Callie and Marie has their Splatfest in 2016 and Marie was objectively the most popular of the two by 8% which is fairly close, all things considered.

For Deep Cut, it's Shiver by a landslide, getting more votes than Frye and Big Man combined.

The only one we don't know based on in-game metrics is Off The Hook because we never had a true Pearl vs. Marina Splatfest... but it'd feel wrong not to have both, doubly so when Splatoon's own producer said the devs avoided making a Splatfest that puts them against each other since they felt their bonds are too strong for that.

If we get someone from Off the Hook in Smash, it'll have to be both of them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom