• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Official terminology aint no one is using:

Meteor = Spikes
Strong Attacks = Tilts
Perfect Shield = Parry
Calling Smash for. Wii U "Smash 5" = It's Smash 4 dammit
Actually meteors and spikes used to be different things.

They aren't anymore, but they did have different definitions in Melee.

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
Actually meteors and spikes used to be different things.

They aren't anymore, but they did have different definitions in Melee.
More specifically, meteors were downwards knockback moves you could cancel the knockback of, and spikes were ones you couldn't because the meteor cancel angle range didn't extend wide enough. Nowadays meteor canceling doesn't exist so there's no difference

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I still think a Metroidvania Adventure Mode would be pretty cool. Especially if it were to take elements from both Melee's Adventure Mode and Subspace Emissary.
Yes! And a structure similar to The Leged Of Zelda II or The Battle Of Olympus.
Fighting enemies, rescuing characters and wondering in the small urban enviromants, talking with the NPCs that didn't make to the roster to get some clues, buying stuff or get a side quest.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If Skull Kid ever gets in, they should use Clock Town as his stage, and they should add in some more music from Majora's Mask, including Song of Healing and Majora's Theme.

His Final Smash could probably be a mix of the scene where he screams and the Bad Ending of Majora's Mask where the Moon destroys everything.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
Hey guys, it's probably never going to happen but how do you feel Left 4 Dead might get represented in Smash? Perhaps even how a rep from the series may play? Just being casual here
I am a fan of Left 4 Dead and I love the games but I can't really see it getting in before anything from Half-Life or TF2, and also arguably Portal.

That being said I've always been partial to the idea of Coach joining the battle. I'm envisioning a chainsaw for neutral B, shotgun for side B, the basic L4D shove as a tilt, etcetera. His Final Smash has him throw a jar of Boomer Bile to summon a horde of zombies that appear all over the stage and attack every opponent in range, really simulating the absolute chaos of a horde in the OG game.

There's definitely merit to the idea of a L4D fighter; I just don't really see it happening until Valve gets some rep in Smash to begin with.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So uh...

You know Zelda? The franchise where everyone says they need to just pick one character and support that option like crazy? It would be really simple if people just picked the frontrunner.

My poll suggests the true problem. There isn't a frontrunner. There's three. And they're so close in votes that they make up the 12th, 13th and 14th spot in the overall rankings.

Yes, the top three Zelda choices are all right next to each other with only a twenty votes difference between 12th and 14th. They're incredibly close. And the next Zelda character is 102 votes lower.

We might never solve this problem, LMAO. I can't earnestly say any of the three are substantially more popular than the other because it's not really true.

(Also I'm almost done with everything. Yay!)

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
So uh...

You know Zelda? The franchise where everyone says they need to just pick one character and support that option like crazy? It would be really simple if people just picked the frontrunner.

My poll suggests the true problem. There isn't a frontrunner. There's three. And they're so close in votes that they make up the 12th, 13th and 14th spot in the overall rankings.

Yes, the top three Zelda choices are all right next to each other with only a twenty votes difference between 12th and 14th. They're incredibly close. And the next Zelda character is 102 votes lower.

We might never solve this problem, LMAO. I can't earnestly say any of the three are substantially more popular than the other because it's not really true.

Seems our best course of action would be to shuffle em into single file line and bargain for them one game at a time, lol.

But seriously, it's very interesting to hear that Zelda's got three frontrunners. The fact they're all next to each other in the overal rankings is nuts. I am greatly anticipating the poll results!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So uh...

There's an obvious answer here.

Add three Zelda characters.

If Skull Kid ever gets in, they should use Clock Town as his stage, and they should add in some more music from Majora's Mask, including Song of Healing and Majora's Theme.

His Final Smash could probably be a mix of the scene where he screams and the Bad Ending of Majora's Mask where the Moon destroys everything.
Majora's Mask is my favourite game. I will always be disappointed by the amount of music is in Smash from that game. All it has is Termina Field? Which itself is just a remix of the main theme. Nothing unique to itself.

Clock Town, Deku Palace, Stone Tower, Song of Healing, Majora's Theme. All brilliant and iconic songs that would be amazing with a Smash style remix.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
isn't that the game with a Peter Pan-lookin' elf bro with the silly magic sword that defeats the evil forces of some blue pig dude and rince and repeat with it's mess of a timeline?

yeah, nothing similar on Nintendo. :4pacman:

And it looks like i unintentionally insulted half of the LoZ fandom lol

Last edited:

Smash Apprentice
So uh...

Just cut Toon Link and Young Link and add the three wanted Zelda characters, it would just be like adding one.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So uh...

I don’t see why we can’t get all three or at the very least two of them in one game. Other franchises like Mario, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon have had multiple characters in one game. I don’t see any reason why Zelda has to stick with just one character per game. Zelda actually did get three/four new characters in Melee so it wouldn’t be unprecedented (granted that two of the four were clones and the others were a single transform character at the time).

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Franchises getting multiple new characters has happened in every game.

64: Mario, Pokémon
Melee: Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, Fire Emblem*
Brawl: Pokémon, Kirby
For: Mario, Kid Icarus*, Fire Emblem**
Ultimate: Mario*, Metroid*, Fire Emblem*, Castlevania*, Xenoblade*

*Multiple thanks to clones and DLC

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Just because something can happen doesn't mean it will happen. Be reasonable.
I agree but what exactly are you referring to? I’m just saying that nothing is stopping us from getting multiple Zelda characters in one game, not saying that it’s a sure thing.

On the flip side, I also argue that just because something hasn’t happened yet, doesn’t mean it can’t. I think people put a bit too much focus on finding patterns and sticking to them as a hard rule.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Official terminology aint no one is using:

Strong Attacks = Tilts
Smash Ultimate officially calls them Tilt Attacks (Up Tilt Attack, Down Tilt Attack, and Side Tilt Attack) in the loading screen tips and stuff (in English at least.) It’s a bit weird how long it took me to notice that change, probably since I’m so used to everyone calling them tilts. Clearly, the localizers ultimately agreed with everyone that it’s a better and more descriptive name.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I very much doubt this was intentional. More than likely it's just a convenient coincidence in English,
There's no WAY it wasn't intentional.

Nintendo names game installments after it's consoles all the time. They never put "for" in there.

It's not "New Super Mario Bros. for Wii". It's not "Super Mario 64 for DS".

What's funny is that we're almost certainly going back to non-numbered Mario Karts with the next iteration. 7, 8 and 8 Deluxe are going to be the odd ones out.
Based on what?

The next game is actually an edgy reboot just called "Smash"
"The Smash Bros."

I just call it Smash For.
Since that's how Sakurai abbreviates the two games on his videos and it works on multiple levels.
The fact that he uses the same abbreviation for both games kinda proves they aren't two separate game.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Just because something can happen doesn't mean it will happen. Be reasonable.
Correct! Super Smash Bros. is pretty chaotic and unpredictable.
Who in the would would have guessed The Piranha Plant as a playable character?
For what we know the next Super Smash Bros. could feature cancellled characters like Sabre from Dinosaur Planet, Honey The Cat From Sonic The Fighter, Tiara Bobowski from Sonic X-treme, Siba from Virtua Fighter...
Insert any cancelled videogame character you happen to know.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So Retronauts podcast recently put out an episode that ranked 8-bit mascots.

18. Boomer [Asmik]
17. Konami Man [Wai Wai]
16. Dizzy [Dizzy]
15. Mappy [Mappy]
14. Moai [Konami]
13. Master Higgins [Adventure Island]
12. Alex Kidd [Alex Kid]
11. Pitfall Harry [Pitfall]
10. Bentley Bear [Crystal Castles]
9. Clarise [City Connection]
8. Q-Bert [Q-Bert]
7. Opa-Opa [Fantasy Zone]
6. Frogger [Frogger]
5. Pac-Man [Pac-Man]
4. Donkey Kong [Donkey Kong]
3. Mario [Super Mario Bros.]
1. Slime [Dragon Quest] / Megaman [Mega Man]

It's a pretty baffling list. Entries that could barely be considered mascots. But missing characters like Kunio, Bub & Bob, Battletoads, Hayabusa, Adol or Athena.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Guys. It's finally done.

You can find the results to the poll here.

And to celebrate, here's the overall top twenty...one.

I'm kinda shocked to see Chibi-Robo within the top 20 as the second highest new series after Isaac lol

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Bruh.

You gotta check the New Franchise top five.

Now THAT order is kinda crazy.
Was sad to see Starfy not on the graphic anymore, but getting knocked off the platform by like 3 votes by Astral Chain (a newer Switch IP that Nintendo now owns 100% of) is still pretty good considering minus the NSO release Starfy's been pretty quiet for like 15 years lol

But yeah, Isaac, Chibi-Robo, Andy, Ayumi, and Officer Howard as a top 5 is certainly not what I expected lol

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
Nintendo can't ignore the cries for Dixie Kong anymore!
(They totally can)

Anyways, Raven Beak having made such a big splash is cool. Hopefully he doesn't have to wait as long as Ridley and Dark Samus.

Still can't see Skull Kid get in over a BotW/TotK character, but I want to join the love for Majora's Mask. Give me all the songs and a Stone Tower stage!
And yeah, as we were saying a few pages ago, older Zeldas really did have more striking characters. Skull Kid and Midna just endure. Zelda doesn't really have a Raven Beak it seems.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
So uh...

It's almost like it's a stockpile of ignored potential for a couple decades

Top Bottom