• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Smash Apprentice
I think Miyamoto said that it was an inspiration on OoT at the very least:
And Majora kinda goes without saying.

On TWW they were already starting to leave behind that kind of storytelling imo, but it still had some of those "suspicious" NPCs Miyamoto and the others talk about in those interviews, and some strong writing in general anyways.
From TP onwards there's pretty much nothing left.
Oh wow I never knew this, this is a very interesting article. However, I don't think that ended with TP or even SS. Both of those games were chock full of weird Zelda NPCS, as were the DS Zeldas. I think it started to peter out a little bit with ALBW because it was going back to Alttp, pre "suspicious character" Zelda, and finally the tone shift of BotW shifted the series into a more wholesome less unsettling tone.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think Miyamoto said that it was an inspiration on OoT at the very least:
And Majora kinda goes without saying.

On TWW they were already starting to leave behind that kind of storytelling imo, but it still had some of those "suspicious" NPCs Miyamoto and the others talk about in those interviews, and some strong writing in general anyways.
From TP onwards there's pretty much nothing left.
i think you're seeing what you want to see

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
Twin Peaks was quite popular in Japan, gives me an excuse to post this
There's a few dev interviews mentioning the inspiration in certain Zelda games. That said while I agree recent Zelda games have very lacking stories, I don't know how much that has to do with it lol.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Makes a claim
"Um do you have a source?"
Provides source backing up what they said
"I think you're seeing what you want to see."

Willful ignorance.
I read the source it did not back up the claim. and I posted about having read it

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For the champion and related characters, my priorities are:

Would Like to See
Urbosa, Sidon, Revalli, and Mipha
Neutral
Daruk and Teba
Don't Want
Tulin, Riju, Yunobo

If I didn't list them, I haven't met 'em. Tears of the Kingdom has probably solidified its place on my backlog at this point. lol. I wouldn't be mad if we got any of them, and I could like them, but I'm not into the idea of them.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Too much Zelda here that it needs it's own thread. Don't hate the franchise, but the talk here is so big that interrupts other topics.

It's obvious that Bamco will return for the Smash from the next console via their Studio 2 & Studio S teams. But what if they won't return? Who will help with the development of Ultimate's successor?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Too much Zelda here that it needs it's own thread. Don't hate the franchise, but the talk here is so big that interrupts other topics.
What?

Zelda isn't talked about nearly as much as cuts, FE, Pokemon, etc. I call BS on this.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...But like, would it, though? They have different artstyles and weapons so I don't think it's that big of a deal.
Yeeeeeah they're both blue birds, but like Falco is wearing modern clothing with a bit of sci-fi flair while Revalli is squarely in medieval garb. Also they're not even based on the same bird, and Revalli is a very muted color while Falco is bright blue.

What?

Zelda isn't talked about nearly as much as cuts, FE, Pokemon, etc. I call BS on this.
Besides, this thread just kinda does what it wants. I don't think making a thread for a specific topic would do anything.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

It's obvious that Bamco will return for the Smash from the next console via their Studio 2 & Studio S teams. But what if they won't return? Who will help with the development of Ultimate's successor?
one can never have too much zelda

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I feel like Klonoa is a character who got brought up because a fair bit in the past because she has that mascot feel about her, similar to the likes of Rayman and Bomberman. With bonus points for being from a platformer. But her legacy feels very..... Non existent? Maybe that's a bit harsh but I don't think she's made any impact in the industry like our other Third Parties, which is personally what I look for in my third party picks.

I don't think she really has any reason to pick her, even her support base doesn't seem that big.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Klonoa is a character who got brought up because a fair bit in the past because she has that mascot feel about her, similar to the likes of Rayman and Bomberman. With bonus points for being from a platformer. But her legacy feels very..... Non existent? Maybe that's a bit harsh but I don't think she's made any impact in the industry like our other Third Parties, which is personally what I look for in my third party picks.

I don't think she really has any reason to pick her, even her support base doesn't seem that big.
Klonoa is very niche, yeah. Not a character I ever anticipate making it into Smash (but I'd absolutely love to see it happen as a fan of the games).

...also, Klonoa is a boy. I feel like it was just a few weeks ago or so as well that someone else was mistakenly referring to Klonoa as "she/her".

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Klonoa is all charm with no legacy. Historically, the Klonoa franchise isn't very prevalent. The games are great though. I won't deny their quality (and the first made me sad).

Klonoa is like Namco's Golden Sun. Real good games. Fan favorites. Successful and profitable. But its minor. There are a lot of Namco franchises with more legacy and popularity. Keep in mind, Isaac is a super popular request because most of the other Nintendo juggernauts are already in.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Klonoa is legit one of my most wanted characters.

He ain't getting in lmao. Namco seems to love the guy because they tend to let him show up in a bunch of other stuff including Astro Bot, which I'm still reeling over, and they did remaster the first two games a couple of years ago. But his series has never really been that big (for reasons that may or may not be related to Bandai Namco themselves) and they don't particularly seem all that keen to actually expand the series in any way. I mean, ****, we STILL don't even have sales figures for the remasters lol.

I kinda compare him to Morrigan in some ways. Both well liked characters from cult franchises with dedicated fandoms, but they're pretty much locked up in the vault until it's time for a crossover appearance. If it ever happens, it'll be because Sakurai really wanted it to happen.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Isaac is like Namco's Golden Sun. Real good games. Fan favorites. Successful and profitable. But its minor. There are a lot of Namco franchises with more legacy and popularity. Keep in mind, Isaac is a super popular request because most of the other Nintendo juggernauts are already in.
Ah, the real reason nobody figured out why Isaac hasn't gotten into Smash Bros. Because Pac-Man and Kazuya were prioritized over him. :4pacman:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
As neat as Klonoa would be, I do legitimately think he faces competition (incredibly stiff competition, at that) from Prince of All Cosmos, Don-chan, or a Tales of character like Lloyd in terms of a third Namco character.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hi, been awhile hasn’t it?

I was genuinely thinking of not returning period but tbh the thought of a new Smash Bros is tantalizing to me, thought I’d lay out some ideas for it.

I guess in terms of first parties, I’m thinking Noah & Mio, as well as Pauline are pretty surefire to me. As well as the Octolings. Other characters I wanna mention that I’m less confident in but still think are worth mentioning are Bandana Dee, Ayumi Tachibana, Zoroark (yes, I’m dead serious about that one), and a Metroid character, most likely Sylux but timing would depend on it. Other than those ones I’m not sure about other first parties, I’d really like to see Chibi-Robo but I doubt they’d go with him. Elma I’ll put as an honorable mention.

Now for third-parties, I have quite a few I’m thinking of, and I mean, quite a few. Firstly I’d like to talk about Chun-Li. I think a Capcom character is very likely but she probably takes the cake as the one I see the most. But I could see several other options, just that she seems most obvious to me. Then there’s Tales. I know a lot of people want Lloyd and Yuri, but I’m honestly feeling Cress, especially with the Tales remaster project coming for the anniversary Phantasia will likely be most relevant. I’d be open to any Tales character though, Velvet and Luke being personal wants. As for other characters, I could see another Square Enix character. Perhaps 2B, maybe Chrono if they let him out of port jail. I really think an Ubisoft character is happening too, Rayman, Ezio, and Jade seem like the characters I think they’d go with (or Just Dance). Also would not sleep on a Type-Moon character, thinking they’ll go with Saber, maybe Arcruied as DLC. ArcSys could also get a character. I’m thinking Kunio is possible, but since Strive is coming to switch someone from guilty gear too, could be sol but considering his similarities to Terry, imma go with funny yo-yo girl Bridget. Thinking a character adjacent to Suda51 is in the cards too. I know Travis is immensely popular as a pick, but I wouldn’t sleep on Juliet from Lolipop Chainsaw, since the Repop remaster is coming out. Could also see another SNK character, I’m thinking Hoahmaru. Since Trails in the Sky 1st is coming to Switch, Estelle Bright potentially? (Would they do Joshua with her?) and since LEGO Horizons is coming as well, and the demographic overlap, I think Aloy would be a swimming fit for the game. A Koei Tecmo character is another one I see in the cards but not feeling DOA or Ninja Gaiden, I’m thinking Atelier probably, my money is on Marie (or Ryza I guess). Finally, if my profile picture wasn’t an indicator, I’d love to see Sakura Shinguji in the game from Sakura Wars, though lack of recent games make me hesitant to say they would go with her. Time will tell.

Those are just some things I’m spitballing, lemme know what you think!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I m curious about this franchise is it niche?
You could say that as a means to describe it, yes, but it’s recently been picking up traction in terms of sales come the Ryza series, Nintendo recently has been promoting the series heavily too as the latest game was featured in the most recent partners showcase. Just something that has had momentum in terms of franchise growth.

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
A Koei Tecmo character is another one I see in the cards but not feeling DOA or Ninja Gaiden, I’m thinking Atelier probably, my money is on Marie (or Ryza I guess).
I feel like if any Atelier character got into Smash it would probably be Ryza? I'm not 100% sure on this and feel free to correct me if it's wrong but I'm pretty sure Ryza basically put Atelier on the map for general audiences? On an anecdotal note, I had only slightly heard of Rorona and Sophie prior to Ryza lol

Marie was the first one, but I also don't think she's ever released outside of Japan since Atelier was Japan only until 2005, and Atelier Marie came out in 1997 according to my short search, so I don't think she'd be very likely.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
This video still deserves some attention:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I feel like if any Atelier character got into Smash it would probably be Ryza? I'm not 100% sure on this and feel free to correct me if it's wrong but I'm pretty sure Ryza basically put Atelier on the map for general audiences? On an anecdotal note, I had only slightly heard of Rorona and Sophie prior to Ryza lol

Marie was the first one, but I also don't think she's ever released outside of Japan since Atelier was Japan only until 2005, and Atelier Marie came out in 1997 according to my short search, so I don't think she'd be very likely.
Ryza did put the series on the map to mainstream audiences, but keep in mind Smash doesn’t always go that angle. Sakurai previously dropped Alucard in favor of the Belmonts, with him thinking that fans would be more in favor of them despite Alucard (arguably) being more well-known. Smash doesn’t always go with what is most popular with cultural osmosis. That being said, I do acknowledge she could be chosen, I just feel like they’d likely go with a deepcut, that’s just my opinion though.

Marie actually did recently release outside of Japan, just got a full remake last year in addition to the DX version being bundled with the deluxe edition of the game, it was released on the Switch as well.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm gonna be real.

This guy suggesting Garon is sending me. LMAO.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Ryza did put the series on the map to mainstream audiences, but keep in mind Smash doesn’t always go that angle. Sakurai previously dropped Alucard in favor of the Belmonts, with him thinking that fans would be more in favor of them despite Alucard (arguably) being more well-known. Smash doesn’t always go with what is most popular with cultural osmosis. That being said, I do acknowledge she could be chosen, I just feel like they’d likely go with a deepcut, that’s just my opinion though.

Marie actually did recently release outside of Japan, just got a full remake last year in addition to the DX version being bundled with the deluxe edition of the game, it was released on the Switch as well.
Ah okay, the list I was looking at listed remakes into a completely separate category farther down the page, so that's why I missed that one lol

I am curious if it would be possible for multiple characters to make a sort of Hero situation here (though obviously all as alts with different names), though I know absolutely nothing about pretty much any of the games or what the characters can do lmao

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Ah okay, the list I was looking at listed remakes into a completely separate category farther down the page, so that's why I missed that one lol

I am curious if it would be possible for multiple characters to make a sort of Hero situation here (though obviously all as alts with different names), though I know absolutely nothing about pretty much any of the games or what the characters can do lmao
I think that is possible actually. The games all focus on characters learning alchemy and they have similar abilities and mechanics, I think it would be possible to make an amalgamative character based on those.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Wish to see a Sunsoft vs. Capcom fighting game.
Oh come on. Sunsoft hasn't made anything of note since the SNES-era.

Question: Which Sunsoft rep would you like in the next Smash Bros.?
I mean, Blaster Master is their best option, but Sophia 3rd makes more sense as an AT.

All the best Sunsoft games were licensed 4P games.

He calls it Smash 7.

dislike
close video

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So was it's gameplay actually. And the class system. Characters weren't even all that bad either and it easily is the best looking Fire Emblem game on 3DS.
It's Class system has it's own imbalances, but it was nowhere near as badly balanced as Awakening was. And sure, Birthright and Revelations' gameplay were divisive, but I've seen a lot of favor for Conquest's gameplay.

And sure, it's characters aren't all that bad if you don't mind the tropes being a bit too focused on. Awakening had it's characters have tropes too, but boy, they were nowhere near as repeated and focused on compared to Fates' characters(like how Camilla has like 3 supports focused on hiring people to keep an eye on Corrin and 2 Supports that have her being competitive with another character on who looks after Corrin better. Seriously, talk about something different!).

Top Bottom