• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's Class system has it's own imbalances, but it was nowhere near as badly balanced as Awakening was. And sure, Birthright and Revelations' gameplay were divisive, but I've seen a lot of favor for Conquest's gameplay.

And sure, it's characters aren't all that bad if you don't mind the tropes being a bit too focused on. Awakening had it's characters have tropes too, but boy, they were nowhere near as repeated and focused on compared to Fates' characters(like how Camilla has like 3 supports focused on hiring people to keep an eye on Corrin and 2 Supports that have her being competitive with another character on who looks after Corrin better. Seriously, talk about something different!).
It seems the developers don't know how to handle their approach to their characters and given personalities. I mean you compared Fates to Awakening with being trope heavy, same comparison could be made between Three Houses and Engage. Engage is also heavily on the tropes with it's cast, while Three Houses has some serious deep written characters. This is why the Fire Emblem community is kinda decisive too. I think the differences between Three Houses and Engage and their approach in character personalities are even bigger.

Which is why I kinda hope FE4 comes through. It had a good cast and I really hope they do them justice.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It seems the developers don't know how to handle their approach to their characters and given personalities. I mean you compared Fates to Awakening with being trope heavy, same comparison could be made between Three Houses and Engage. Engage is also heavily on the tropes with it's cast, while Three Houses has some serious deep written characters. This is why the Fire Emblem community is kinda decisive too. I think the differences between Three Houses and Engage and their approach in character personalities are even bigger.
Three Houses I think had a different writer from Awakening, Fates and Engage, hence the big difference in tone. If such is the case, the comparison between Fates and Awakening is more app compared to Three Houses and Engage as Awakening and Fates(and Engage) had the same writer. Basically, the writer should take a chill pill on the focus of tropes. You can have tropes without them being intrusive on the characters.
And no, the famous writer Nintendo mentioned regarding Fates only made the story setting/basis/whatnot, not the actual story, characters and dialogue.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Three Houses I think had a different writer from Awakening, Fates and Engage, hence the big difference in tone. If such is the case, the comparison between Fates and Awakening is more app compared to Three Houses and Engage as Awakening and Fates(and Engage) had the same writer. Basically, the writer should take a chill pill on the focus of tropes. You can have tropes without them being intrusive on the characters.
And no, the famous writer Nintendo mentioned regarding Fates only made the story setting/basis/whatnot, not the actual story, characters and dialogue.
Alright well this makes a lot of sense. Three Houses still did it best I feel. There's a reason it's sold so well, and the characters are so beloved. The writing and story had some issues of course, but maybe that's because they where almost overly ambitious with it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well...I wouldn't say Fire Emblem: Three Houses's characters aren't tropey, they just use the tropes to create striking characters, and give them backstories that inform why they are the way that they are. Fire Emblem: Awakening also fleshes out their characters, but it doesn't juggle characterizing them, and giving them character arcs as well, with a lot of conversations being gags or fluff. I do think the writing is good overall though.

I haven't played Fates or Engage, but from what I've seen, Engage feels like a saturday morning cartoon. Everyone is very tropey, their character designs are flashing you with pretty colors, and the villains are all like "I'm going to kill you because I'm eeeeevil!!!" There is some sincerity in the story, but I feel like it was more trying to be a fun romp than anything else. Fates...Fates feels like a harem anime, though that might just be because of Camilla.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well. He's not wrong! Super Smash Bros., Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate... They're six already!
Yes, but consider the fact that counting Smash for 3DS and Smash for Wii U as two distinct entries instead of two versions of the same entry, that being Smash 4, is weird and bad and wrong.

Slime Scholar

Smash Journeyman
Well. He's not wrong! Super Smash Bros., Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate... They're six already!
I hate the idea of calling the next game "Smash 7" as well but Sakurai would probably agree that it is. He called the 3DS and Wii U games "versions four and five."
Sakurai: No, actually, there was never any consideration to having him in previous games, and if you think about it, there hasn't been really a precedent for third-party characters joining other than very special cases like Sonic, during the last game. It's something that wasn't even possible. We're now going into versions four and five within the series—this is only something that's now possible.

Kotaku: When you say four and five, do you mean the 3DS and Wii U versions? Those are separate?

Sakurai: Yeah, exactly.
At the same time, it doesn't actually make sense for people discussing the games online to start numbering them now when we were never doing that to begin with.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I hate the idea of calling the next game "Smash 7" as well but Sakurai would probably agree that it is. He called the 3DS and Wii U games "versions four and five."
And he was wrong.

FFS, they're called FOR 3DS and FOR WII U specifically for the pun!

At the same time, it doesn't actually make sense for people discussing the games online to start numbering them now when we were never doing that to begin with.
Tell that to Mario Kart 7.

What do you think about Miria, the transforming gynoid from The Guardian Legend?
I don't think I've ever played it.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
And he was wrong.

I generally agree with you on this one but I also don’t think it matters at all. It’s just a name. I’ll just call it the next Smash game until there’s an official title for the game. It just seems silly to get too hung up on whether it’s 6 or 7 no matter what side you’re on.

I’ve just listened to the first few minutes so far but my biggest criticisms are how the speaker seems to be pushing his views a bit too close to being fact. Like I think there’s a decent argument on both sides whether you want to call the games Smash 6 or Smash 7. He’s also insistent that there’s a 100% chance that we’re getting another game. He’s right that it’s logical that we will because of how much money the series pulls in but I think it’s generally a mistake to predict anything with 100% certainty. There’s a very good chance we’ll get another game but it’s not a guarantee in my opinion.

EDIT: Okay, I just finished listening to the whole thing and I’m happy to see Sephiroth is still there and one of my most wanted (Sub-Zero) was added. There’s definitely a lot of questionable choices though like adding multiple Fire Emblem characters, making Dixie and Shadow echoes, and other things. Some of the characters he suggested need a new moveset are strange like Banjo, Link and Cloud. He also seems pretty confident that Sakurai isn’t returning. Still, an interesting watch even if I don’t agree with a whole lot.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So, anyone think we'll get news on a new console soon?
I don’t know but I’m expecting the console reveal or at least a teaser in the next general Direct. I feel like we could see some kind of teaser in the next couple months. That seems reasonable to me.

FazDude

Smash Master
  1. Dragon King
  2. Super Smash Bros.
  3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  5. Super Smash Bros. 4
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
I mean, Smash 7 just makes sense. :4pacman:

On a serious note, if I had to venture a guess for new console info, I'd say sometime later this year, similar to how the Switch was announced near the end of 2016. I would suggest a summer announcement, but without an E3 to tether itself too, it feels unlikely.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yes, but consider the fact that counting Smash for 3DS and Smash for Wii U as two distinct entries instead of two versions of the same entry, that being Smash 4, is weird and bad and wrong.

And he was wrong.

It's called "Super Smash Bros. 7" because in game/race terms, if two people were to tie/get the exact same time/score/etc behind 3 other people, they both would get 4th place and instead of the person after them getting 5th place, they get 6th place instead because they are still the 6th person who placed in the game/race.
So Super Smash Bros. is 1st, Smash Bros Melee is 2nd, Smash Bros Brawl is 3rd, both Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U are 4th and Smash Ultimate is 6th.

Slime Scholar

Smash Journeyman
I very much doubt this was intentional. More than likely it's just a convenient coincidence in English, and the actual reason for the name is that they didn't want to confuse the market launching 2 games so close to each other.
Tell that to Mario Kart 7.
What's funny is that we're almost certainly going back to non-numbered Mario Karts with the next iteration. 7, 8 and 8 Deluxe are going to be the odd ones out.
The press have apparently heard whispers of something happening this month, but rumors are rumors.

I'm personally thinking between October and December.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The way I look at it is this: Let’s say that Final Fantasy XIII released simultaneously on PS3 and PS Vita, where the Vita version had a few changes from the PS3 version. Would the next numbered title be Final Fantasy XV because of the Vita version of XIII? If the answer is no (which I believe it would be), then the next Smash game should be Smash 6, not 7. Like I said, it doesn’t really matter either way and there’s a case to be made for either argument but I personally side with Darth on this one.

Last edited:

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 is a weird case where it's technically not Smash 4 but Smash for 3ds and then Smash for wii u, and since the games have different stage lists and game modes and trophies and all that i can almost see the argument for them being 2 different beasts... but they have the same gameplay, same rosters and both games got the same dlc for them... like neither game is a port of the other but they're pretty clearly simultaneously developed versions of the same general beast.

I guess this doesn't really matter when regardless of if it's the sixth or seventh smash it will most likely have a subtitle instead of being called Smash 6/7, but it's still weird not to group them when they're so conjoined at the hip.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
You know, I remember something about a Smash Bros. game that would ultimately be called Super Smash Bros. Ultimate being, at one point, referred to as Smash Bros. 6. Here is the source.

Now, if I read the article correctly, Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS made up Smash Bros. 4 and 5, so...

If we take that into consideration, and count Dragon Kings as Smash Bros. 1, as FazDude FazDude suggested, maybe we can consider the next Smash Bros. game to to be Smash Bros. 8?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Soon? Maybe...

Wow it IS September already gosh this summer was fast...

But yeah within the next 3 months we might get at least 1 official crumb. But in the next 6 months we absolutely should. Just that I feel as if they're going to focus on everything but the new console until after Xmas.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Now I wish Sakurai would do this particular thing to mess with fans.
View attachment 394126
Even have the same syllable count. Super Smash Bros 7. Twenty Twenty Seven.
That really makes you wonder how the next one will be called.
I'm pretty sure it will be not a number though.
Maybe something simple like Super Smash Bros. Maximum or something elaborate like Super Smash Bros. The Legend Of Metroidvania

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That really makes you wonder how the next one will be called.
I'm pretty sure it will be not a number though.
Maybe something simple like Super Smash Bros. Maximum or something elaborate like Super Smash Bros. The Legend Of Metroidvania
I kind of like Super Smash Bros. Infinite but that subtitle might leave a bad impression after MvC Infinite.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Pretty much every leaker is saying there's something happening this month. I had been expecting an October reveal, but this makes sense too. Tokyo Game Show is at the end of the month, revealing the console now allows third parties to talk about the Switch 2 versions of their games in more detail.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Just talk! I don't think we'll see any actual videogame under construction, rather than just some technical demonstrations of the perks of the console.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
They have one month of time to announce Elden Ring for the Switch U before I buy another console to play it 🙏
That game looks like it would be fun if I wasn’t bad at video games. If we still had things like Game Genie, GameShark, or Action Replay, I’d have probably bought several of the Souls and Souls like games.

Top Bottom