• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
Yeah personally I'd love to see Sakurai's take on a modern Mach Rider but to me it feels like this is pretty much it for retro Nintendo NES characters.
Bomberman, Bub, Hayabusa are more interesting at this point imho. And for retro Nintendo characters I'd like the clock to move forward a little. GC/GBA are a gold mine of weird, interesting Nintendo IPs, even outside of the most obvious ones like Golden Sun and Advance Wars, you have Starfy, Kururin, Doshin, Chibi-Robo, Eternal Darkness... Most of these would be more interesting than the Nth NES throwback in my opinion.

Potted Plant

Smash Rookie
Yeah personally I'd love to see Sakurai's take on a modern Mach Rider but to me it feels like this is pretty much it for retro Nintendo NES characters.
Bomberman, Bub, Hayabusa are more interesting at this point imho. And for retro Nintendo characters I'd like the clock to move forward a little. GC/GBA are a gold mine of weird, interesting Nintendo IPs, even outside of the most obvious ones like Golden Sun and Advance Wars, you have Starfy, Kururin, Doshin, Chibi-Robo, Eternal Darkness... Most of these would be more interesting than the Nth NES throwback in my opinion.
I remember a few months ago brainstorming a "Sanity Effects" Assist Trophy. Stuff like false online alerts, pretending like the controller has disconnected, Switch error messages, etc.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I remember a few months ago brainstorming a "Sanity Effects" Assist Trophy. Stuff like false online alerts, pretending like the controller has disconnected, Switch error messages, etc.
How about remaking the entire assist trophy system entirely?
At the beginning of the game you choose four assistant characters from a second roster and you assign them to the foour D-pad directions.
In the classic mode you can use all of them only once, and you can use only one assistant for match, included the boss fight(s).
The same rules are worth in arena battles: You can only use the assistants you are left with from the previous matches until you drop of the ring.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Makes sense. Rauru's more of a prediction and a "heh he'd represent TOTK better than a half-baked update on Link" than something the hardcore fanbase actually wants. Those characters would come from classic Zeldas like MM, TP, etc.
I would say totk/BOTW rep should be a mix of classic and modern rep!

Theres AOC Impa, Mipha or Yunobo as really good middle of the road choices that have some classic flair to them!

Other than thos SS Impa, Ganon, Skull Kid and midna Seem to be the most popular Characters!

I still think octorok could be fun but yeah he should be more of a later addition!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
At the beginning of the game you choose four assistant characters from a second roster and you assign them to the foour D-pad directions.
In the classic mode you can use all of them only once, and you can use only one assistant for match, included the boss fight(s).
The same rules are worth in arena battles: You can only use the assistants you are left with from the previous matches until you drop of the ring.
sounds boring

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I doubt they'll get meta with something like that because people are gullible and assume the thing is actually happening. For example, Missingno used to be in SSF2, he'd appear, and put up a fake Blue Screen of Death. Despite the text telling you that the blue screen was fake and the effect only lasted for a second or two, and the fact that it's insanely difficult to blue screen a modern computer, it was still removed because people thought it actually glitched out their computer.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I doubt they'll get meta with something like that because people are gullible and assume the thing is actually happening. For example, Missingno used to be in SSF2, he'd appear, and put up a fake Blue Screen of Death. Despite the text telling you that the blue screen was fake and the effect only lasted for a second or two, and the fact that it's insanely difficult to blue screen a modern computer, it was still removed because people thought it actually glitched out their computer.
Missingno was in Super Street Fighter 2?

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
I'd like a remake of assists but not in this way.

I'd like something more akin to Fraymakers where you select one assist that performs a simple move/function, with the player being able to summon them after filling a meter.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You know, for how simplistic Spirits are in terms of development, I kinda wish they had a “no stone left unturned” mentality in terms of which properties get representation via Spirits. Not just among Nintendo properties, but among the properties owned by, at the very least, the 3rd party companies whose characters are in base SSBU.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Just NES? Even SNES is retro already.
Yes, but when the Smash fandom talks about the "retro pick", it's always an NES character.

Regardless, no matter the console generation, I'd still prefer iconic 3P characters over Nintendo D-listers.

I like assists as they are now. The fact they're different from assists in other games is more of a cool thing. Filling up a meter could be interesting, but I don't see a reason to drastically change the system.
And even if they did make it a meter, there's no reason to add a new meter. Just use the FS Meter.

FS Meter full? Decide if you want to use your FS...or summon your AT.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With the NES it doesn't hurt that there's still a ton of one shot/obscure first franchises that didn't really come back in a significant way after that generation, more so than the SNES which outside some Japan only IP's or Stunt Race FX largely introduced pretty enduring series.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Makes sense. Rauru's more of a prediction and a "heh he'd represent TOTK better than a half-baked update on Link" than something the hardcore fanbase actually wants. Those characters would come from classic Zeldas like MM, TP, etc.

Can I ask if Dixie still doing well?
Rauru support hasn't ever felt too genuine to me to be honest. He's simply a way to incorporate Ultra Hand as a character basically cause we know Link isn't going to.

Seriously curios who the most requested Zelda character is going to be on the poll made by Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei .

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Yeah it's high time the "retro character" umbrella for expanded to include SNES, N64, and Game Boy at the very least. Bring in Lip, Muddy Mole, and Lark!
You know who I kinda would like to see get in that'd probably be considered WTF picks? Someone like Ryota Hayami (Wave Race), Ricky Winterborn or Akari Hayami (1080°) or even Alexandra Roivas or Pious Augustus (Eternal Darkness)

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
But can we honestly expect The Kid if The Child of Time isn't on the roster? Something with thematics.
I don’t think it really matters. Similarly I’d gladly welcome Tetra with or without Toon Link and certainly Midna without her variant of Link. At that point I feel most people would be content to accept someone like Skull Kid as the vessel to represent Majora’s Mask through… this was definitely never the barrier of entry.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But can we honestly expect The Kid if The Child of Time isn't on the roster? Something with thematics.

I still stand strong for Impa however.
I'm not hard expecting the Skull Kid, but I don't think not having the Hero of Time is a barrier to entry for him. In fact, the fact he's repping a different game than the others could be seen as a plus. The main thing is less thematics and more the fact that he hasn't appeared since The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess not counting Hyrule Warriors and Cadence of Hyrule.

Even so he remains an iconic character, and I think that can get him in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Young Link isn't supposed to represent MM as much as he is the beginning of OoT, he's using the starter equipment from that game.
True which is weird cause I wish I could start Ocarina of Time with the Bow and Fire Arrows and Hookshot. That Kokiri Sword is also a tad longer than usual, and his "home stage" is the Termina Great Bay.

They sure didn't think this through.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
True which is weird cause I wish I could start Ocarina of Time with the Bow and Fire Arrows and Hookshot. That Kokiri Sword is also a tad longer than usual, and his "home stage" is the Termina Great Bay.

addtext_com_MTQyODM0NTM4NDk.jpg
Young link is like a bridge between OOT and MM.
What we really need IMHO is Midna riding Wolf Link and riding Shadow Wolf as alt, so she can be a rep of both Twilight Princess and Hyrule Warriors.
They could use The Duck Hunt Duo as base.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

business as usual then

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
You know how we discussed that Smash seems to only use franchises that are popular in Japan? Well, remind me again…are there any Western-developed games or franchises that are popular in Japan?

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Nah, esp. if the main Link is gonna remain mostly like Wild-era Link, it's kind of silly IMO to say we need to have the Link from X game before we get any other character from that game.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Just that?
Is Rayman any popular in Japan?
I once dreamt that Rayman was in Super Smash Bros. and had a blue attire as alt., but in the japanese language the blue attire became his main one because purple is an negative color in Japan, as much as the number four.

Last edited:
Top Bottom