• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly I think the biggest issue with Altered Beast is that it's one of those Sega properties with incredibly lopsided regional appeal. It's significantly more popular in the west than it is in Japan, since it was only a pack-in game internationally.

Odds are that they'd more likely opt for a Sega character that either has more appeal globally, Japan included, or that they'd at least go for one that's more popular in Japan if they had to go for a game with lopsided reception.
How it started: Cool Beat 'em Up where you transform into mythological creatures.
How it continued: A really bad Hack 'n Slash with an edgy experimented upon amnesiac who has extremely gory transformations and that's supposed to be cool.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly there aren't too many differences between the Japanese fanbase and the Western one.

The majority of characters in one place are still popular in another. And the ones that are lopsided like Lucas, Little Mac and Ridley quickly find new fans.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
Look moral implications of punching a toy poodle into the atmosphere aside...

I just... don't see the appeal in playing as just a borderline real pet. Like, people are already in arguments about whether characters with fully fleshed out combat have moveset potential, I believe this ranks significantly below that in terms of both interesting moveset and general appeal.
That's why you should support a Digimon.

They're pets that fight (the whole reason the franchise exists).

....not that Bandai Namco would actually do anything with the franchise as far as Smash goes, but still. :p

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
On an unrelated note. I'm tallying up all the results from the poll.

Remember when I said Pauline did poorly? She's actually doing pretty well now. Not top five but she has a respectable score.

On the other hand, Rauru for all the talk he gets, has done... Uh.... Well... He's the 19th most popular Zelda choice. People would prefer a fourth Link over him, according to the statistics.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Remember when I said Pauline did poorly? She's actually doing pretty well now. Not top five but she has a respectable score.

On the other hand, Rauru for all the talk he gets, has done... Uh.... Well... He's the 19th most popular Zelda choice. People would prefer a fourth Link over him, according to the statistics.
that doesn’t surprise me

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
No doubt because she was revealed to show up in another spin-off in the middle of the poll.

Literally every single time that happens with her there's an influx of "but Smash tho?".

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
No doubt because she was revealed to show up in another spin-off in the middle of the poll.

Literally every single time that happens with her there's an influx of "but Smash tho?".
To be fair though.....isn't that the case with every character? :4pacman:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

As someone who helped with the tallying for a couple of series...there's one particularly funny case of this lmao.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace

Makes sense. Rauru's more of a prediction and a "heh he'd represent TOTK better than a half-baked update on Link" than something the hardcore fanbase actually wants. Those characters would come from classic Zeldas like MM, TP, etc.

Can I ask if Dixie still doing well?

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
As someone who helped with the tallying for a couple of series...there's one particularly funny case of this lmao.
I'm trying to think what would have been announced during the poll's runtime that would have affected a specific character.

My first guess would be Ayumi, but the fact Emio was on the poll means the new game was already announced by then. Hmm...

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Honestly I think the biggest issue with Altered Beast is that it's one of those Sega properties with incredibly lopsided regional appeal. It's significantly more popular in the west than it is in Japan, since it was only a pack-in game internationally.

Odds are that they'd more likely opt for a Sega character that either has more appeal globally, Japan included, or that they'd at least go for one that's more popular in Japan if they had to go for a game with lopsided reception.
Altered Beast is interesting because while it's 100% more popular in the West, it actually does still get plenty of love from SEGA of Japan - they've given it plenty of cameos, rereleases, etc. Whether that's just an acknowledgement of its Western popularity or otherwise, it shows the company does hold it in some regard, and I'd wager the average Japanese SEGAhead probably still knows what it is.....it's just that in terms of 80s SEGA arcade games, JP fans are generally more into stuff like Fantasy Zone or all the Super Scaler games, and AB is more of a "B-lister". It'd never get a character, and I don't think I'd like it if it did either, but if we somehow hypothetically got a Pac-Man-esque classic SEGA content blowout, I'd say it'd stand a good chance of being repped somewhere

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
I'm trying to think what would have been announced during the poll's runtime that would have affected a specific character.

My first guess would be Ayumi, but the fact Emio was on the poll means the new game was already announced by then. Hmm...
Starfy?
Not a new game but three previous unreleased games (in the West) all at once on the VC is somewhat significant for hardcore fans, and he's higher than I thought he would be on the poll.
Not that I'm complaining. Starfy is the GOAT.
Starfy 1 slightly better than Starfy 2 at least at the point I'm at, though.

OR.
The character's not Ayumi but Emio himself.
Emio can't ever become a fighter though imo. Too violent.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
Starfy?
Not a new game but three previous unreleased games (in the West) all at once on the VC is somewhat significant for hardcore fans, and he's higher than I thought he would be on the poll.
Not that I'm complaining. Starfy is the GOAT.
Starfy 1 slightly better than Starfy 2 at least at the point I'm at, though.

OR.
The character's not Ayumi but Emio himself.
Emio can't ever become a fighter though imo. Too violent.
Well no, because Starfy's virtual console reveal would have been before the poll. Same with Emio's full reveal.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

It's minor enough that I think I can reveal it (if not Swamp can yell at me) but basically

Clefairy ended up more than doubling its vote total in the back half of the poll...coinciding with the news that it was planned for Smash 64. It still didn't do very well all things considered, but it went from under twenty votes to almost forty in a very short span of time.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord
It's minor enough that I think I can reveal it (if not Swamp can yell at me) but basically

Clefairy ended up more than doubling its vote total in the back half of the poll...coinciding with the news that it was planned for Smash 64. It still didn't do very well all things considered, but it went from under twenty votes to almost forty in a very short span of time.
Ok now that's funny.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Honestly there aren't too many differences between the Japanese fanbase and the Western one.

The majority of characters in one place are still popular in another. And the ones that are lopsided like Lucas, Little Mac and Ridley quickly find new fans.
How about the western characters that didn't make to the roster?
Did any japanese person care about Rayman?
Do you think the only problem that problem that prevented him from joining the roster was his impossible amiibo?
These guys found the solution:

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
How about the western characters that didn't make to the roster?

Did any japanese person care about Rayman?

Do you think the only problem that problem that prevented him from joining the roster was his impossible amiibo?

These guys found the solution:

x2l9uy.jpg

A Rayman amiibo has always been possible but I'm glad more and more companies are proving that 🙏

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

You're good lol.

In fact I'll spoil a way I accidentally influenced the poll.

A while back I said MB (Melissa Bergman) had zero votes and laughed at her for it. She now has 11 votes which means she's doing better than U-Mos and Noxus.

Poor Noxus, LMAO.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
If Rayman ever gets in, I hope they include music from the original games and not just Origins and Legends.

Also, they should use this as one of his taunts:

Big agree on the music. Outside of Rayman and the Phantom Show it seems when Ubisoft approves merch or does post about him these days they act like the Ubiart games are the only ones that exist when the trilogy has so much creative stuff from it.

And agree on the taunt as well, it'll be a CRIME if they forget that!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
If Rayman ever gets in, I hope they include music from the original games and not just Origins and Legends.

Also, they should use this as one of his taunts:

It probably will NEVER happen, but I would like to hear "Madder" from Rayman 3 be a song for a Rayman stage if he ever did become playable

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
That's why you should support a Digimon.

They're pets that fight (the whole reason the franchise exists).

....not that Bandai Namco would actually do anything with the franchise as far as Smash goes, but still. :p
To be honest, having played Cyber Sleuth on Switch post-Ultimate (as my first Digimon game no less), I'm firmly in the camp of I'd be super down to see Digimon in Smash if Namco would let it happen.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Lord

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero

Good to see more Pauline supporters. I don't really see Rauru as an appealing choice, though.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I could see Rauru having an interesting moveset but he's soooo boring as a character imo. TOTK's story is already kind of not great to me, but Rauru specifically is basically just his role in the story and that's it. It kind of works in the context of the game because "stoic king who cares about his kingdom and family" is all the story needs to function but I just can't imagine him having any engaging presence in-game without a notable overhaul.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He probably scored even worse himself, but I’ll take this as a rightful Master Kohga W.

Master Kohga is currently 11th. He's doing much better than he has any right to.

Other Zelda characters with higher scores than Rauru include Urbosa, Revali, Mipha, Zant, Tingle, Sidon, Linkle and GROOSE!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom