• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I agree, but the problem here is just the apperance of the hit animations right? What if during the hit animations, the dog dodges it or plays around while mechanically it gains damage. Then the knockback could just be it just jumping away unharmed. The youtuber Brawlfan1 did a similar thing for the Untitled Goose in a what if __ was in smash videos.
I feel like that would only work to a certain point for knockback because it would look really weird to see a regular dog jump a mile into the air at Ultimate's speeds (because I feel like they'll retain how knockback feels in Ultimate next game, or at least I hope so because Smash 4 knockback looks so slow after playing Ultimate for like 6 years lmao). Not to mention the Star KO.

Stratos

Smash Lord
Abe from the Oddworld series was supposed to come as a fighter in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, but for some reason he was canceled as was Dart from another video game, The Legend of Dragoon. For Dart I have nothing to say and write, but Abe is recognizable enough and after losing his chance to participate in the PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale he should at least be given a chance to come as a newcomer to the Super Smash Bros. series. Along with Abe may come another character who is also from the Oddworld series and that is the Stranger.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If it's mascots specifically that are being discussed, wouldn't that still be Toro for Sony? He's pretty much a JP exclusive thing outside of the occasional cameo/guest appearance but I would say they still count. On the off chance Sony got more than one rep though, I would like/prefer Astrobot personally.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Question: Have ypu ever considered other games getting a rep as items or stages?
I dunno you but I think Mappy's mansion and Altered Beast's first scrolling level could work as combat stages.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I'm surprised Astro Bot still has third-party cameos. Glad to not only see Crash and Spyro come back but even some new ones like Ryu, Ken, and Sol. Polygon Man too? Love it!

But at the same time, I'm also surprised at the lack of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. What's the deal with that?

I wish we had more proper MASCOTS in Smash. and yes I know we have a lot already but I want MORE.

Sony should have a mascot, Microsoft, I want Smash to truly celebrate gaming, and to me that means celebrating even their competitors.

But Sony doesnt really HAVE a mascot. Microsoft has Master Chief, but I also would like to see other mascots for companies.
Nah, I want to keep it more Nintendo centric. I don't mind more mascots but not if they haven't been on Nintendo consoles.

For console mascots, the only one I'll accept is Crash. He's a former console mascot but still.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I wish we had more proper MASCOTS in Smash.
Videogame mascots stopped being a thing when sony decided to market videogames toward a more edgy public.
Crash Bandicoot was meant to be the Mascot of Playstation but got surpassed in popularity by Lara Croft.
Blinx The Time Sweeper was supposed to be the mascot of X-Box and now people barely remember he existed. Same with Nights, that was supposed to take the place of Sonic as mascot of Sega, who surpassed both Wonderboy and Alex Kidd. Not to mention Wonderdog, the "mascot" of the Sega Mega-CD.
You know what? I think both them could work in Super Smash Bros., as fighters, but as characters they would summon a great "WHO?" by people, like a crowd of owls.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I agree, but the problem here is just the apperance of the hit animations right? What if during the hit animations, the dog dodges it or plays around while mechanically it gains damage. Then the knockback could just be it just jumping away unharmed. The youtuber Brawlfan1 did a similar thing for the Untitled Goose in a what if __ was in smash videos.
The idea of regular dog and a regular goose having Slayer style hit animations is absolutely hilarious.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Videogame mascots stopped being a thing when sony decided to market videogames toward a more edgy public.
Crash Bandicoot was meant to be the Mascot of Playstation but got surpassed in popularity by Lara Croft.
Blinx The Time Sweeper was supposed to be the mascot of X-Box and now people barely remember he existed. Same with Nights, that was supposed to take the place of Sonic as mascot of Sega, who surpassed both Wonderboy and Alex Kidd. Not to mention Wonderdog, the "mascot" of the Sega Mega-CD.
You know what? I think both them could work in Super Smash Bros., as fighters, but as characters they would summon a great "WHO?" by people, like a crowd of owls.
Blinx was underrated and deserved a spot alongside Mario Sonic Crash

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
If they did this, how do you make it react to grabs, pummels, throws, and command grabs?

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Crash was the mascot of PlayStation. Even to this day, Crash is still recognized as the first PlayStation mascot, the Mario or Sonic of the consoles, which is something Lara Croft has never been known for. Plus, he was so popular that even Japan loved him and even created the dance that has become a part of his series.

Blinx was underrated and deserved a spot alongside Mario Sonic Crash
According to many people, Blinx just simply wasn't good enough, so why do you say that?

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Question: Have ypu ever considered other games getting a rep as items or stages?
There are some other games (mostly from fighting games franchises) that I would preferably like to see being represented in Smash.

I'm a fan of Capcom's fighting games and there some that I wished could get represented even though chances are it will be slim.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
You know what would be cool from a Tetris stage in Smash?

The possibility of attacking blocks falling and knocking them around, possibly hitting opponents with them.
The nightmare of every competitive player 😆
Anyway, have you seen this dude from Minecraft X Tetris?
hq720.jpg

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
In Nintendogs + Cats, when walking you can actually see other dog owners walking their dogs, who are depicted as Miis. So, hypothetically we could get Mii Nintendog Trainer, and the Mii is the only one who takes damage and gets knocked around. (I don’t think it’d happen, but it’s probably the best way for it to work.)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In Nintendogs + Cats, when walking you can actually see other dog owners walking their dogs, who are depicted as Miis. So, hypothetically we could get Mii Nintendog Trainer, and the Mii is the only one who takes damage and gets knocked around. (I don’t think it’d happen, but it’s probably the best way for it to work.)
New neutral special for Mii Gunner: Robopup. Sends forth a Robopup that runs around, turning back at ledges. When you press the special move button again they bark loudly, launching opponents away. Opponents cannot damage Robopup because just look at that face. Who would want to hurt that face?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What about just the Assist Trophy ? That worked well.

Also have any new games even ever been made after the DS ones ?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What about just the Assist Trophy ? That worked well.

Also have any new games even ever been made after the DS ones ?
From a brief search, kinda? Nintendogs + Cats is the 3Ds's iteration of the series, but it's described to be literally the same as Nintendogs on the DS except there are cats.

Side note, it's kinda weird that the "s" in DS is capitalized, but not in 3Ds...

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
there hasn’t oddly enough. they did so well I keep expecting it to turn up on switch
It couldn’t work on Switch because the Switch has no microphone. Giving your dog voice commands is too large a part of the gameplay to remove.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
The only Nintendog related hypothetical I'm curious about is which breed the Nintendog AT will be next game. In Brawl it was a Golden Retriever, in Smash 4 it was a French Bulldog, and in Ultimate it was a Toy Poodle (all three of which are actually the versions for 3DS).

Thinking maybe Shiba Inu to round that out since Golden Retriever versions in the west are Shiba Inu versions in Japan. Other than that, I'd like to see a Beagle, I think.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
For those who are obsessed with having the Nintendongs in Smash Bros. one solution would be them as Mii costumes.
As swordfighters they would hold a long bone, and as gunners their cannon would be shaped like a doghouse.
Nintentencats swordfighters instead would hold a fishbone and as gunners their cannon would be shaped like a box.

DreamyMystX64

Smash Cadet
Premium

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Look moral implications of punching a toy poodle into the atmosphere aside...

I just... don't see the appeal in playing as just a borderline real pet. Like, people are already in arguments about whether characters with fully fleshed out combat have moveset potential, I believe this ranks significantly below that in terms of both interesting moveset and general appeal.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I think the biggest issue with Altered Beast is that it's one of those Sega properties with incredibly lopsided regional appeal. It's significantly more popular in the west than it is in Japan, since it was only a pack-in game internationally.

Odds are that they'd more likely opt for a Sega character that either has more appeal globally, Japan included, or that they'd at least go for one that's more popular in Japan if they had to go for a game with lopsided reception.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
That's exactly what I mean everytime I say the biggest flaw of Super Smash Bros. is it's too japanese centered.
But with the introduction ofKing Kroc Roll there are hopes it will get more receptive of the western audience.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's exactly what I mean everytime I say the biggest flaw of Super Smash Bros. is it's too japanese centered.
But with the introduction ofKing Kroc Roll there are hopes it will get more receptive of the western audience.
King K. Rool was pretty much just as requested in Japan as he was in the west. He was one of the top voted characters on the Japanese ballot exit polls of the Smash 4 era. He wasn't a "throw a bone to the west" character.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
King K. Rool was pretty much just as requested in Japan as he was in the west. He was one of the top voted characters on the Japanese ballot exit polls of the Smash 4 era. He wasn't a "throw a bone to the west" character.
I was thinking something like that. After all, I was confused when Hypercat-Z said the King K. Rool being more of a western thing in terms of being wanted and all.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I admit I didn't know that, or I forgot it.
Please, remind me what other western characters where asked by the japanese people.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Please, remind me what other western characters where asked by the japanese people.
Pretty much the only series in Smash with severely lopsided popularity favoring the western side are Metroid, Punch-Out!!, and Duck Hunt, and the latter two are still considered like, historically important there anyway. Metroid really is the big one that's there for western appeal more than anything else.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Banjo and Steve were pretty notable.

Steve didn't have nearly as much of a stigma there.

Top Bottom