• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
People were mad at Hero? I don't remember but I think I joined speculation right after his reveal...
It's an unspoken law that everyone in Smash makes at least one person mad. Search anything along the lines of "[character] shouldn't have gotten in Smash," or "[character] is a terrible newcomer," someone will have a post on some forum or made a video expressing their anger, if not specifically towards their inclusion, then their implementation. And then there's times the person is just upset that they got added over their favorite.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I think it's overblown how mad people were at Hero since one, he was all but known for such a long time before he was actually revealed so people had time to wrap their heads around it (yes people argued Brave could be other characters, but it was mostly accepted to be Hero), and two, the time span between Hero and Banjo's reveals was literally within the same Direct. Plus a lot of more in-the-know people acknowledged while DQ may not be as much of a thing here, it's an institution in Japan - so the character may not be who they wished for but made a lot of sense.

I know it spawned the Hoes Mad meme, but there were other characters that caused much more contention.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Am I misremembering the timeline, or was it known prior to the reveal that the base for Brave was Link?

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
OK, here's a hypothetical question.

If Terry makes it into the next game, and if we get a second SNK rep that isn't from King of Fighters, Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting, what are the chances it may either be Haohmaru or Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown or a Metal Slug character (Marco w/ Tarma, Eri and Fio as alts or the titular tank itself)?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

If Terry makes it into the next game, and if we get a second SNK rep that isn't from King of Fighters, Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting, what are the chances it may either be Haohmaru or Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown or a Metal Slug character (Marco w/ Tarma, Eri and Fio as alts or the titular tank itself)?
I don't know, but I would definitely want Marco from Metal Slug as a playable character in the next Smash Bros! I do think the Samurai Showdown rep may be more likely, though.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
60% Nakoruru, 30% Metal Slug, 10% other.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So guys...

I'm looking at the NSO games.

We have gotten NES, SNES, N64, GB and GBA games fairly consistently and have gotten several updates for each of those apps this year.

We have not gotten an update for the Sega Genesis app since June 27th, 2023. It's been more than a year since it was updated.

What's going on there?

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
So guys...

We have gotten NES, SNES, N64, GB and GBA games fairly consistently and have gotten several updates for each of those apps this year.

We have not gotten an update for the Sega Genesis app since June 27th, 2023. It's been more than a year since it was updated.

What's going on there?
Don't worry, they will "resurrect" it by adding the all-time fan favorite ClayFighter. :4pacman:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So guys...

What's going on there?
It might be for licensing reasons, which is unfortunate as it's the only non-Nintendo console available.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So guys...

What's going on there?
Is there additional licensing that needs to be done when Sega doesn't own a Genesis game? Like, did the Wily Wars require both Capcom and Sega's approval?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Is there additional licensing that needs to be done when Sega doesn't own a Genesis game? Like, did the Wily Wars require both Capcom and Sega's approval?
Yeah. I'm saying that it's licensing issues that is preventing the NSO Genesis library from being updated. Also, I'm wondering if we'll see other consoles on it in the future.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Probably Nakoruru since her moveset translates pretty well to a platform fighter.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So guys...

What's going on there?
I've not got much clue, but I'll be very sad if we get no more MD updates from now on. People might dismiss it as a retread of the same bajillion MD collections we get every generation, but not only is the emulation AFAIK better than in those, they managed to get plenty of really cool third-parties in there, and in the more recent updates they were actively starting to dig out some big rarities that have been stuck in the vault for a long time, like Pulseman and Crusader of Centy. If they'd kept up with that and released more cool less-often-rereleased stuff, it would have been really nice, but they've seemingly just stopped, and with unfinished business at that - for example, Centy's finally been added, but they still haven't added Ranger-X, another high-quality first-party title from the same devs that also has been completely missing from past collections and initiatives. Plus there's Monster World IV, stuff like Atomic Runner on the third-party side........it'll be a shame if we just get nothing like that anymore.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You know, I just realized; we don't have an amphibian as a playable character in a Smash Bros. game, do we?

Maybe they should consider adding Wart from Super Mario Bros 2/Doki Doki Panic, or better yet, Frogger!

EDIT: Or Slippy Toad from Star Fox.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Oops! Yeah, I forgot about that.

Still, we could use more amphibians, plus, Greninja, while frog-like, is a Pokemon. Not that it detracts from anything, but I would like to see characters who are just frogs and not anything else.
Speaking of this, would Ivysaur also count as an amphibian, or amphibian like creature?

I remember reading his evolutionary line is more like that of frogs.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Speaking of this, would Ivysaur also count as an amphibian, or amphibian like creature?

I remember reading his evolutionary line is more like that of frogs.
Considering Venusaur's running animation in games like Let's Go has it hopping after the player like a frog, I'm pretty sure Ivysaur would count as at least a partial frog.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I've noticed people only complain about anime swordsmen when it's the less popular ones that they don't care about

Byleth: ugh, more anime swordsmen!!

Sephiroth: omg, it's Sephiroth!

Pyra/Mythra: ugh, even more anime swordies!

Sora: omg, it's Sora!
You kind of make it sound like third party anime swordsmen are more popular than Nintendo ones. I understand that is not what you are trying to get at. Feel free to post an example with a popular Nintendo anime swordsman, though honestly, you don’t have to here.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I love remembering that once upon a team people believed “Brave” could be Banjo or Sora. Because they’re brave.

As funny as that is in retrospect, I guess its cool that those people were kinda sorta validated later lol.
I was in the camp of it being Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia. lol

He's the most popular Tales of hero and he forms an organization called Brave Vesperia, i thought it made sense at the time.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
You kind of make it sound like third party anime swordsmen are more popular than Nintendo ones. I understand that is not what you are trying to get at. Feel free to post an example with a popular Nintendo anime swordsman, though honestly, you don’t have to here.
Well those two third-party anime swordsmen were more popular than those two/three Nintendo ones. They're Sephiroth and Sora.

Being third-party or first-party doesn't inherently have anything to do with it, but there are just more very popular sword-wielding third-parties out there right now. The only one Nintendo would have at that level is Link.

It's based on the character/series, not their legal ownership. Like, 2B and Crono would garner fewer "anime swordie boo" criticism than a character from Bravely or Mana, and those are all owned by the same company. It comes down to how big/popular/embraced that character is more than who owns them.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Link is the most popular Nintendo anime swordsman. He's just already in Smash Bros. to begin with.
Huh, thanks. Though I am not sure why you answered, since I was expecting Dream1ng to answer, but that DOES help.

Well those two third-party anime swordsmen were more popular than those two/three Nintendo ones. They're Sephiroth and Sora.

Being third-party or first-party doesn't inherently have anything to do with it, but there are just more very popular sword-wielding third-parties out there right now. The only one Nintendo would have at that level is Link.

It's based on the character/series, not their legal ownership. Like, 2B and Crono would garner fewer "anime swordie boo" criticism than a character from Bravely or Mana, and those are all owned by the same company. It comes down to how big/popular/embraced that character is more than who owns them.
Trust me, I know being third party OR first party does not matter. I was just saying what I said because you used two Nintendo characters as the non-popular examples and two third party characters as popular examples in that last your post of yours. It probably does not mean anything, but I hope you don't mind me pointing that out, even if it was unnecessary.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Trust me, I know being third party OR first party does not matter. I was just saying what I said because you used two Nintendo characters as the non-popular examples and two third party characters as popular examples in that last your post of yours. It probably does not mean anything, but I hope you don't mind me pointing that out, even if it was unnecessary.
That's because they were chronologically the last four sword-wielding anime style characters we got, and the vacillating dichotomy between them was fairly pronounced regarding those complaints.

Using less recent examples would be less apt considering you'd be comparing the fanbase at two different, potentially distant points in time. This was one continuum during a period that complaint was particularly present, yet not always applied.

Last edited:
Top Bottom