• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That's because they were chronologically the last four sword-wielding anime style characters we got, and the vacillating dichotomy between them was fairly pronounced regarding those complaints.

Using less recent examples would be less apt considering you'd be comparing the fanbase at two different, potentially distant points in time. This was one continuum during a period that complaint was particularly present, yet not always applied.
Ah, I see what you mean. That’s a point well taken.

Still, it is kinda crazy that, regardless of where they came from, some “anime swordsmen” get praised while others get bashed.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Because it's an open forum that anyone can respond to.
You don't need to make this kind of comment every time someone else jumps in the conversation.
Yeah, I know that, but that aside, I was more so curious as to what made you answer. In other words, I was thinking there may have been another reason as to why.

No need to give that answer to me, I am sure it matters not, anyway.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Yeah, I know that, but that aside, I was more so curious as to what made you answer. In other words, I was thinking there may have been another reason as to why.

A. I'm not the one who made the response to the swordsman thing. That was Ivander.

B. You aren't entitled to an answer as to why someone responded to a statement on an open forum. It's an open forum. There's no hidden conspiracy.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
A. I'm not the one who made the response to the swordsman thing. That was Ivander.

B. You aren't entitled to an answer as to why someone responded to a statement on an open forum. It's an open forum. There's no hidden conspiracy.
I wasn't saying I was entitled to an answer. In fact, I am pretty sure I said you did not need to answer, for I also said it did not matter. You are right on this being an open forum, which I am aware of, but given what I said, you did not really need to say all that. I am fine with no answer either way.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well all the DLC characters had a base of an existing character, if I'm not mistaken. It's just a launch pad to work off an existing framework, it doesn't mean they'd play at all the same.

Min Min's was Captain Falcon, iirc. Piranha Plant's was Bowser Jr. I think Banjo's was Ridley.
Interesting I didn't realize! Hero is the only one I can actually tell, but it makes sense they'd do this.

dream1ng

Smash Champion

Tbf the way you phrased it could be considered rude. "I'm not sure why you answered"

Not everything in the stream of consciousness has to make its way to the keyboard, fwiw.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well all the DLC characters had a base of an existing character, if I'm not mistaken. It's just a launch pad to work off an existing framework, it doesn't mean they'd play at all the same.

Min Min's was Captain Falcon, iirc. Piranha Plant's was Bowser Jr. I think Banjo's was Ridley.
Interesting I didn't realize! Hero is the only one I can actually tell, but it makes sense they'd do this.
It's the case for the base game too, not just DLC. Little Mac was based off Captain Falcon and still has a few of his animations, and Ridley has Charizard's gliding data from Brawl.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Tbf the way you phrased it could be considered rude. "I'm not sure why you answered"

Not everything in the stream of consciousness has to make its way to the keyboard, fwiw.
Maybe, but I was not trying to be. Plus, if you mean Ivander, as Wonder Smash said, I did thank him, nonetheless.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Might be not based on anyone due to how simple he is.
Nah, even Mr. Game & Watch, despite needing all his animations to be choppy, was built off a preexisting fighter. That being Mario. In Melee they forgot to change a bunch of his stats to be different from Mario.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You know, I just realized; we don't have an amphibian as a playable character in a Smash Bros. game, do we?

Maybe they should consider adding Wart from Super Mario Bros 2/Doki Doki Panic, or better yet, Frogger!

EDIT: Or Slippy Toad from Star Fox.
Well you already know my top picks are the Battletoads but I’d also love to see Frog (Chrono Trigger), Toxicroak, Politoed, Poliwrath and Wart.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
OK, here's a hypothetical question.

If Terry makes it into the next game, and if we get a second SNK rep that isn't from King of Fighters, Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting, what are the chances it may either be Haohmaru or Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown or a Metal Slug character (Marco w/ Tarma, Eri and Fio as alts or the titular tank itself)?
I could see anyone of those 3 making it if SNK got another character in Smash.

In terms of who I want to see most it'd be Nakoruru > Haohmaru = Metal Slug.

Who I think Sakurai would go for I think Nakoruru > Metal Slug > Haohmaru

inb4 Haohmaru = Sword/Samurai Ryu

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
IMO the real reason of Hero's popularity is that down B. It's just too funny, it's hard not to get on board with the character after you've played some matches as them. The Toriyama designs also help!
Meanwhile Sephiroth is Sephiroth, he had the most hype videogame trailer ever and he's also the character that makes you feel like you're playing as a final boss the most.

As someone who doesn't like anime swordsmen very much, I feel like those two have so much more going on than just that, they kinda transcend that identity. And Sora does too, even just by virtue of being a very popular character.
So... Yeah.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I've noticed people only complain about anime swordsmen when it's the less popular ones that they don't care about

Byleth: ugh, more anime swordsmen!!

Sephiroth: omg, it's Sephiroth!

Pyra/Mythra: ugh, even more anime swordies!

Sora: omg, it's Sora!
in fairness sora has a massive key not a sword so it's completely fair not to count him

i heard min min was ripped directly from ARMS

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
i heard min min was ripped directly from ARMS
Her model was ripped from ARMS, but they used Falcon's bones/moveset as a placholder. She actually still has animations for the Falcon Kick in her files.

Falcon in general seems to be a very common base, even discounting the obvious Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Well, besides Greninja, how likely do you think the Battletoads are?
They'd prolly need Banjo levels of specific fan demand and they (along with the other original Rare characters) don't have that, I'm afraid. Without that, there's not much of a reason to expect them being picked over more popular candidates from Microsoft like Crash, Doomguy, Master Chief, etc.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Beyond personal taste, the anime swordfighter reaction will often come down to "characters that have big become iconic within gaming culture outside their genre" tend to be more favorably received than those that have not. Sephiroth, Cloud, & Sora are significant enough that even those that have never played Square Enix games know who they are and why so they're so beloved. Byleth & Pyra/Mythra are well liked within their RPG circles (the latter especially so in Japan) but they're both too new and their fame still largely confined to their respective fandoms.

It's a phenomenon not limited to just JRPG's either. Why would a Kazuya or Terry Bogard get more muted reactions than a Ryu (or a hypothetical Scorpion from MK) despite the former franchise's massive popularity and the latter's long legacy? Because in much of the West, neither has quite penetrated popular culture in the same way Street Fighter or a Mortal Kombat have, and the immediate level of hype tends to reflect that.

I suspect a similar variation would happen with Crash vs Spyro in Smash. The latter is a very well-liked platformer series that's sold well, and the character could work extremely well in SSB... but they could never engender the same kind of hype as the former because Crash achieved a status above even that of platformer fans.

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Beyond personal taste, the anime swordfighter reaction will often come down to "characters that have big become iconic within gaming culture outside their genre" tend to be more favorably received than those that have not. Sephiroth, Cloud, & Sora are significant enough that even those that have never played Square Enix games know who they are and why so they're so beloved. Byleth & Pyra/Mythra are well liked within their RPG circles (the latter especially so in Japan) but they're both too new and their fame still largely confined to their respective fandoms.

It's a phenomenon not limited to just JRPG's either. Why would a Kazuya or Terry Bogard get more muted reactions than a Ryu (or a hypothetical Scorpion from MK) despite the former franchise's massive popularity and the latter's long legacy? Because in much of the West, neither has quite penetrated popular culture in the same way Street Fighter or a Mortal Kombat have, and the immediate level of hype tends to reflect that.

I suspect a similar variation would happen with Crash vs Spyro in Smash. The latter is a very well-liked platformer series that's sold well, and the character could work extremely well in SSB... but they could never engender the same kind of hype as the former because Crash got a status above even that of platformer fans.
Kazuyas reaction was muted bexause we already had tekken in smash
If it was otherwise
Kazuya would be extremely hyped
(Also some people may not who kazuya is or even if he is from tekken as he is less popular than heihachi)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not entirely sure. Battle Toads seem like a cute idea to include just for the fun of it, and they probably translate really easily into Smash as they originate from a platform / fighting hybrid game themselves. Licensing also seems like less of an issue.

Probably won't happen tho, but I don't think they should be overlooked. They got some good popularity after all.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If it was otherwise
(Also some people may not who kazuya is or even if he is from tekken as he is less popular than heihachi)
I was the opposite of muted. I was wanting a playable Tekken character since Brawl so it was a huge moment for me.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If it was otherwise
Yeah, I'm fairly certain a lot of people weren't familiar with Kazuya, and his reveal trailer was purely an in-joke, which didn't help at all.

Top Bottom