• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Part of me wonders whether he might kill off Ayumi as one of Emio's victims for a big plot point.
Damn I was joking when I said "let the Emio vs. Ayumi wars begin" in the social thread but a moment like that would make me think such flamewars could actually happen.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Yeah this kind of game I don't think would get a rep added to a Smash project plan without them knowing how well it did in advance. And yeah, for a series of this size even a new game is not any guarantee of a Smash PC.
However, for fans of FDC and Ayumi the hope would be that this game does well and potentially even leads to more from the series, especially given that it's presumably not too taxing to develop and doesn't carry too high a bar to be considered a success.
If enough of that happens, then yeah Ayumi could be on the table for Smash, but I wouldn't expect it this cycle Unless possibly the project plan is later than most of us expect, in which case it could have a chance to fill one of the final few newcomer spots as an unrepped and now-active franchise which could clearly bring something very fresh and different to Smash.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Damn I was joking when I said "let the Emio vs. Ayumi wars begin" in the social thread but a moment like that would make me think such flamewars could actually happen.
Either that or your player character is the killer all along. Both scenarios would be pretty divisive but again just crazy spit balling on my part. I wouldn't want either scenario to be the case but if divisive was the intent I'm not going to rule them out as much as I'd dislike for the plot to make these choices.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So can I just say, I'm really hoping the new FDC game really leans into the horror, cryptic and creepiness for the game and the villain, Emio. I recently found the newly released screenshots for the game and man....this image here.

Like man, I cannot wait to see this scene in-game, cause this has potential to be some good-tier level creepypasta/urban legend horror. Like just the image of seeing Emio through the girl's eye and you still see the paper bag expression, but you also see their own eyes reflecting off of the girl's eye. Man, I hope they go hard with Emio and they leave a good impression much like the E.M.M.I and Raven Beak.
I am more curious about the supposed divisive ending that he's already teasing. Part of me wonders whether he might kill off Ayumi as one of Emio's victims for a big plot point.
That might be where the playable Ayumi parts come in. There are supposed to be some parts in this where you play as Ayumi and it's probably through her eyes where we will see Emio and their characterization. I don't see Ayumi dying, but I can certainly see Emio stalking her and even communicating with her much like they apparently do with their victims.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ima do something where you guys don't go what the heck.
So.
Toad
Look at the Smash 2 poll:

9th Place: Toad
12th Place: Fire Emblem character

Now look at the roster for Ultimate:

0 playable Toads :toadnaani:
8 playable Fire Emblem characters :ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultcorrin::ultchrom::ultbyleth:

Do you think he deserves this treatment?
If Toad keeps getting jealous of Fire Emblem, yes.

He can BUP right outta here.

(I want Toad but c'mon man, argue for Toad, not against others.)

osby

Smash Obsessed
So.
Toad

8 playable Fire Emblem characters :ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultcorrin::ultchrom::ultbyleth:

The poll doesn't specify which Fire Emblem character so they have to keep trying.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Really though. I did not expect this to be another Famicom Detective Club game. A bit weird that the series title didn't change though. Shouldn't it be the Switch Detective Club now?

In any case, it's pretty unlikely that this game will do anything for Ayumi's chances at joining the base roster due to the timing of it. If the game doesn't take off then it could royally screw her over.
I kind of like the Famicom Detective Club name.

Also, do you think it would help if Nintendo localize the original games?

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
If Toad keeps getting jealous of Fire Emblem, yes.

He can BUP right outta here.

(I want Toad but c'mon man, argue for Toad, not against others.)
They should add Toad, but then also add three more Fire Emblem characters specifically the three characters that are currently assist trophies
You're missing the big picture, both of you.

We need Toad as a Fire Emblem.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Yeah, I'd say this all sounds about right. ESPECIALLY Kirby. I imagine most of the Kirby merch involved Kirby and the Waddle Dees (B.W.D. included), right? If nothing else, it makes sense why B.W.D. is probably Japan's #1 first-party request.

If you don't mind me asking, is there more of a Namco presence outside of Tekken?

Also, non-gaming question... any idea how Japan looks at Warner Bros.' animated stuff (Looney Tunes, Cartoon Network, etc.)? I know Disney is near-massive over there, but what about Warner Bros.' stuff?
You’re pretty spot on in terms of the proportion of Kirby merch. If it’s not Kirby, then it’s Waddle Dee. I haven’t seen any Dedede or Meta Knight merch in the wild outside of the Nintendo store yet.

In terms of of non-Tekken Namco, it’s mostly just PAC-Man and the ghosts popping up occasionally in their original sprites. I haven’t seen any Tales or Souls stuff in the wild, which kind of caught me off-guard.

That being said, on the Bandai side of things, I have seen a lot of Mametchi. I was actually walking adjacent to a Bandai building without knowing until I walked past the edge of a building, where I saw a statute of Mametchi alongside some of Bandai’s other notable IPs. I think Tamagotchi content could be in the next Smash, although I don’t know if it would warrant a full character.

I haven’t seen much Warner Bros. in terms of Western animation, unfortunately. I’ve really only seen Disney, Peanuts (they love Snoopy here)

:4pacman:Liko, actually. You might've been thinking of Lillie from Sun and Moon
You’re right lmao. I haven’t actually seen any Pokemon Horizons, so I guess my brain just went “Pokémon’s female protagonist whose name starts with an L. That’s Lillie”.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So.
Toad

This leaves out the fact that Marth is literally right under Toad on this list, the fact that the eighteen "someone from Fire Emblem" votes are implied to contain Fire Emblem characters who only got one vote each, the fact that Toad was a distant fourth for the Mario series on the list (far behind Peach, Bowser, and Wario), and the fact that Ogma, Seliph, Sigurd, and Leif also got more than one vote each. That says a lot more about Fire Emblem, and Marth specifically, than it does about Toad.

But even then, attempting to prop Toad up/bring Fire Emblem down with an incredibly small poll from almost a quarter of a century ago is...well, the nice word is "misguided."

DKing

Smash Cadet
So.
Toad

One of my first requested characters back in smash 4 with captain Toad. Now I really don't see how he gonna be in the next games against Waluigi,Geno and other mario fan favorite 😔

Y'know, if Takamaru got into Melee, his theme music probably would have sounded something like this:
The soundtrack still goes hard.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I feel a bit late to the subject, but I am glad that they used the marketing that they did for this new Detective Famicom game. I can understand some being disappointed its not a new IP, but it was probably a really good way to get eyes on a game that many probably wouldn't give a second glance towards had it been announced in other ways.

Last edited:

DKing

Smash Cadet
You’re pretty spot on in terms of the proportion of Kirby merch. If it’s not Kirby, then it’s Waddle Dee. I haven’t seen any Dedede or Meta Knight merch in the wild outside of the Nintendo store yet.

In terms of of non-Tekken Namco, it’s mostly just PAC-Man and the ghosts popping up occasionally in their original sprites. I haven’t seen any Tales or Souls stuff in the wild, which kind of caught me off-guard.

That being said, on the Bandai side of things, I have seen a lot of Mametchi. I was actually walking adjacent to a Bandai building without knowing until I walked past the edge of a building, where I saw a statute of Mametchi alongside some of Bandai’s other notable IPs. I think Tamagotchi content could be in the next Smash, although I don’t know if it would warrant a full character.

I haven’t seen much Warner Bros. in terms of Western animation, unfortunately. I’ve really only seen Disney, Peanuts (they love Snoopy here)

You’re right lmao. I haven’t actually seen any Pokemon Horizons, so I guess my brain just went “Pokémon’s female protagonist whose name starts with an L. That’s Lillie”.
Did you find doom, Halo or other FPS fan?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Did you find doom, Halo or other FPS fan?
Unfortunately, I haven’t seen much Western gaming in general beyond an ad for an Apex Legends tournament in one of the subways and an assortment of Minecraft stuff (Minecraft is seemingly just as huge here as in the rest of the world). IIRC, I did see one of the Doom ports in Super Potato, but I can’t remember the platform it was on.

Stratos

Smash Lord
Geist and Eternal Darkness are two horror games that are from Nintendo, and I expected like everyone else that Emio – The Smiling Man when we first saw it would be a new Nintendo horror game that was not related to any other series. The truth is that I was a little disappointed when I found out today that the series it belongs to is an existing series, because I wanted it to be a horror game independent of any other series, but that doesn't mean I won't buy it. The Famicom Detective Club series is a good series that deserves sequels.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if theres any way they can remake the third game in the Detective club series
Its probably the worst in the series given that it was only available on a streaming service but you know, would be neat to play through all four games
I wouldn't be surprised if they lost a lot of the internal documentation on the Satellaview games.

Top Bottom