• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I could see an Okami sequel as a Switch 2 timed exclusive in the next couple of years.
I think whatever buget Capcom might have used to make a new Okami was spent on Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess instead.

Just like they blew their "shootin' dinosaurs" budget on Exoprimal instead of a new Dino Crisis.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think whatever buget Capcom might have used to make a new Okami was spent on Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess instead.
Last time I checked Kunitsu-Gami was done by the developers who did that something: Into the Depths game that Capcom published, and Okami would more than likely be done by one of their main teams or by a very notable outside developer.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last time I checked Kunitsu-Gami was done by the developers who did that something: Into the Depths game that Capcom published, and Okami would more than likely be done by one of their main teams or by a very notable outside developer.
It was made by Capcom Development Division 1. The same studio that makes Resident Evil and DMC.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
  • Pokemon is still massive. Little kids wear the shirts, Pokemon decorate the subway stations, and Pikachu-branded items are sold everywhere. Pikachu and the Paldea starters seem to be most common monsters to see. Lily from the anime is also in a lot of the public promotional materials. You can tell TPC is trying to push her as the new Ash.
:4pacman:Liko, actually. You might've been thinking of Lillie from Sun and Moon

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I don't think it needs to be changed to the same extent as FF7R. But it deserves the same level of care and attention...and budget, as FF7R.

Persona is part of the MegaTen franchise in the same way Final Fantasy Tactics if part of the Final Fantasy franchise. Or Trails in the Sky is part of the Dragon Slayer franchise.

Spinoff series, but all still the same franchise.
So, the Super Mario series is a spin-off of the Mario Bros. arcade game, which itself is a spin off of the original Donkey Kong arcade.

Everything you know about Mario, is all Donkey Kong.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Though make no mistake. Despite the name, Donkey Kong is still a Mario game. You play as Mario, it's a platformer, you have to get power ups, and you have to rescue the damsel in distress. All of these things are still there in the Super Mario series.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I swear, almost every time I come on here I manage to derail the conversation to be about SMT, and I never mean to...

Anyway yeah I obviously think an SMT rep would be cool, although I feel like the Nahobino is far more likely than the Demi-Fiend now, and no other protag really has a shot (unless they do a hero scenario and we get the SMT 1, 2, 4 and 4A protags as alts for one generic "Messiah". I just hope they would include music from spin-offs beyond persona (the Digital Devil Saga osts were put on streaming services this week and I've been registering to them, genuinely probably Shoji Meguro's best work).

However I very much do not want Jack Frost as a playable character (or at least not the first rep for the series), because as much as I love him as the series mascot, he doesn't really represent the series well tonally, or mechanically (we'd need a summoner).

I would love Raidou Kuzunoha from the devil summoner games too, but not only is he impossible due to being incredibly niche, but his outfit keeps getting removed from games because it looks like an imperialist japan uniform (which is a shame but also absolutely makes sense).

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
kid, you realize no one is gonna believe that?
I mean genuinely, people were talking about samurai characters they wanted, I posted one I'd like, expecting it to just get lost in the discussion like most characters do when people are talking about something, but then other people mentioned SMT because of it. Like I obviously don't accidentally post SMT stuff, but I rarely mean for it to become a proper topic of conversation.

Anyway, I was thinking about it earlier today after just seeing the game box on my shelf while tidying, I wonder if nintendo ever considered putting 1,2, Switch content in Smash? Like it could in theory have a fun stage where people are just playing the mini games around you, sort of like warioware, and as a launch title it'd make sense. Obviously it doesn't have any real characters (other than the horse guy from the sequel), so spirits and fighters wouldn't be possible, but not even including the main theme or something is honestly pretty surprising.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean genuinely, people were talking about samurai characters they wanted, I posted one I'd like, expecting it to just get lost in the discussion like most characters do when people are talking about something, but then other people mentioned SMT because of it. Like I obviously don't accidentally post SMT stuff, but I rarely mean for it to become a proper topic of conversation.

Anyway, I was thinking about it earlier today after just seeing the game box on my shelf while tidying, I wonder if nintendo ever considered putting 1,2, Switch content in Smash? Like it could in theory have a fun stage where people are just playing the mini games around you, sort of like warioware, and as a launch title it'd make sense. Obviously it doesn't have any real characters (other than the horse guy from the sequel), so spirits and fighters wouldn't be possible, but not even including the main theme or something is honestly pretty surprising.
Sadly the game was released in 2017, way too late to be considered for base game content(even so much as music). And music/stage DLC was specific to Pass characters, making it even worse for that option. So it was kind of in a spot where it was Spirits at best... which as noted, wasn't plausible. If the Horse Guy was in the original, a Spirit based upon him would've worked out, though. Of course, it didn't help that the sequel was arriving far too late for a quick Spirit too(that, and the game had troubled production, plus with the arrival so late, and some noted backlash towards the idea, along with a terrible advertising, it was likely not something they wanted to give another ad for.

Made even notable that the testers weren't fans of the game, and to make it even worse, Nintendo did try to make it a full 60 dollar game, but the backlash at the idea of such a massive price made them go lower on it. This is probably a part of why they barely advertised it. Because it was too cheap. Also, it had way less games, at a miniscule 17 mini-games compared to 28. Another reason they don't want to give it much attention. It still sold pretty well, mind you, but that's more due to some neat ideas that worked out, like up to 100 players via a smartphone. Ironically said price helped too, since it means it was cheap enough for a fun laugh and was pretty easily compatible with tons of gamers and was a quick option for parties that could cost way less than the usual snacks/soda you'd get to actually host a party(depending upon the party's size, of course).

But yeah, things went pretty sour for the sequel. It didn't hit nearly the sales of the original, which was pretty clearly overpriced in general(the sequel honestly wasn't a bad price, though. Maybe a tad much, but for a new Switch game, 30 bucks isn't unreasonable. It's too bad other games didn't get a better pricing like Mario Golf: Super Rush(mainly due to the content being lacking even after the support. 50 bucks would've made a lot more sense in that regard. It's still a Mario game. Asking for 40 at this point would've been laughable. The brand was going to sell as is).

Hopefully the next Smash gives it a little bit of stuff. :)

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I kinda forgot about the Famicom Detective Club remake + Prequel that released a few years back.

I'd consider checking it out but yikes that price tag... Sixty euros for a digital only Visual Novel is not worth it for me even if it's a two-in-one package.

I better pay attention if it gets a major discount or it looks like I won't be Emioing it up next Smash cycle, sorry. 😔

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Let's see..

-Ayumi was considered for Melee and left out specifically due to lack of international presence.

-Famicom Detective Club gets a remake for Switch that's international.

-Famicom Detective Club gets a sequel for Switch that's international and is something Nintendo is getting people to talk about with their cryptic marketing.

Yeah, no way in Hell she doesn't get in Smash now. And might as well throw in Emio as an Assist.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ayumi stocks are rising.

If they're making a brand new game in the franchise, then we can say they feel confident on it.

I wonder. Does this mean Famicom Detective Club is in a good spot for a new character? The franchise just seemingly got rid of most of its old issues like being unknown worldwide and not being an active franchise.

Ayumi always felt like one of those characters that only have a support base because Sakurai mentioned them. Like Geno.
Geno had fans before he was mentioned. He did well on the Melee poll.

IIRC, I think Ayumi did decently actually.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The two remakes are in my backlog so I'll have to try them.

But like... What would Ayumi do?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ah it’s a puzzle game. And you all thought Nintendo was actually making a horror game
I mean. It's still clearly a horror game.

A visual novel can still be a part of the horror genre. Like have you seen the smiling man?

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Huh go figure, I bought the 2 remakes less than a week ago to play after my exams, so that's a fun coincidence - have time to finish them before Emio releases too. I liked Ace Attorney and loved Ghost Trick so a puzzle game visual novel by Nintendo sounds very good for me.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ayumi stocks are rising.

If they're making a brand new game in the franchise, then we can say they feel confident on it.

I wonder. Does this mean Famicom Detective Club is in a good spot for a new character? The franchise just seemingly got rid of most of its old issues like being unknown worldwide and not being an active franchise.

Geno had fans before he was mentioned. He did well on the Melee poll.

IIRC, I think Ayumi did decently actually.
Yeah. She's now getting a completely new game, and she was on Sakurai's radar before as she was considered for Melee and was only cut due to her lack of recognition in the West, which she has now with the remake being released internationally and now her series is getting a completely new game for the first time in decades.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
So…apparently Emio isn't an entirely new IP, but a new Famicom Detective Club game. Not sure how to feel about that, but at least it increases Ayumi's chances of getting into Smash.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
To be fair that poll wasn't massive. The #1 winner of it, Bowser, had less than 200 votes.
Doesn't really matter when he was still among the lowest ranked characters.

The fact that the he's tied with Mallow on the poll says enough I think. Sakurai mentioning Geno is the biggest reason he's the frontrunner from Mario RPG. It's not a coincidence that most "Geno for Smash" people first played Mario RPG when the remake came out.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Journeyman
I was definitely hoping for a full on horror game in a new IP, but at the very least this is still cool, and I'm glad Sakamoto is getting to finish his vision as series producer. I hope the remake gets a physical release in the West, that seems like it would be a great way to bring more attention to things.

And yeah Ayumi seems like she has a good chance, the press release specifies this is the first time she's playable in the FDC games (which isn't technically true to my knowledge, apparently she's playable in the satellaview game).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I’m pleasantly surprised at Nintendo’s confidence in Famicom Detective Club. I was hoping this was a cool new horror IP but reviving another old Nintendo series is pretty much the next best thing.

I wonder how well those remakes did? In fairness, these probably aren’t the most expensive games to produce but they still must have performed pretty well. As for Ayumi, the fact that this is now an “active” IP beyond a couple remakes is helpful for her case. I’ve never been totally sold on her but now I’m ready to sit down and listen.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
[
Doesn't really matter when he was still among the lowest ranked characters.

The fact that the he's tied with Mallow on the poll says enough I think. Sakurai mentioning Geno is the biggest reason he's the frontrunner from Mario RPG. It's not a coincidence that most "Geno for Smash" people first played Mario RPG when the remake came out.
Okay that's hyperbole. Most of the Geno fans out there have played the OG and were big fans of the other Mario RPGs. They skew older. Geno was a popular request for Brawl, before the Samurai comment (both of them). Geno love is not new.

Regardless, does the exact source of popularity matter in the long run?

Last edited:
Top Bottom