• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Oracle Link

Smash Master
On characters that have debuted in the 2020s....

Any thoughts on Madame Grape?
I dunno i would be fine with her inclusion if she wasnt part of the Mario Series the mario series has so many characters in smash already + some i think deserve the spot first!
Like The Next Mario character should be toad afterwards ill say:
King Boo, Maybe Geno for his smash popularity, dixie, Captain Syrup/ Ashley or Paper Mario
Like the issue is that the mario series has so much rep in smash that i think adding a mario character just cause is a dumb decicion!

However someone like Dragaux or some other newer villain or someone like isaac i have no issues with!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I dunno i would be fine with her inclusion if she wasnt part of the Mario Series the mario series has so many characters in smash already + some i think deserve the spot first!
Like The Next Mario character should be toad afterwards ill say:
King Boo, Maybe Geno for his smash popularity, dixie, Captain Syrup/ Ashley or Paper Mario
Like the issue is that the mario series has so much rep in smash that i think adding a mario character just cause is a dumb decicion!

However someone like Dragaux or some other newer villain or someone like isaac i have no issues with!
I am glad you mentioned her, for I would love for Captain Syrup to be playable in a Smash Bros. game!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yup considering that Gorons/ Zora are the main/ Most apearing zelda races i 100% Agree! Have an iconic member of their species:
So Maybe Young Ruto and Yunobo? And than a stage based on those twoo with normal gorons/ Zoras (and perhaps octoroks? and other monsters) in the background!
Ruto, Mipha, and Sidon were all a lot of fun to play in Hyrule Warriors/Age of Calamity. I think any of them could easily translate to fun and unique Smash characters. I think Mipha probably had the most fun Warriors moveset of the three so I’ll lean towards her.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Ruto, Mipha, and Sidon were all a lot of fun to play in Hyrule Warriors/Age of Calamity. I think any of them could easily translate to fun and unique Smash characters. I think Mipha probably had the most fun Warriors moveset of the three so I’ll lean towards her.
Hello, fellow Mipha enjoyer.

I just want to say your opinion is awesome and I agree with it. Mipha was so fun!

Nickthebrick1

Smash Cadet
Since we're on subject of representation from which fights from which debut console, which characters that have debuted on the DS handheld would be a good fit for smash? Function and gameplay wise?

There's Maxwell (scribblenauts) who can write whatever he to make it into a reality, which can make up for some real zany attacks.

Pheonix Wright with his deductive and laywer abilities could make for an interesting play while being faithful to his series.

A puzzle game of some kind, be it professor layton, professor lobe or even the big head of that real life doctor that is used for assist trophies (don't remember what series he came from. All I know he is the head of a real doctor in japan.)

Even though it will never happen I wished the Hero (Drawn to life) would make it in. Imagine being able to draw your own weapons and character and be able to fight in smash, although I would imagine for the main online you'd be stuck with premade drawings instead.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Hello, fellow Mipha enjoyer.

I just want to say your opinion is awesome and I agree with it. Mipha was so fun!
Definitely. My three favorite characters to play as in Age of Calamity were Mipha, Daruk, and Monk Maz Koshia, through pretty much everyone was fun. I do wish we’d get some kind of representation from the Warriors spinoff games. If nothing else, those games had amazing soundtracks.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Since we're on subject of representation from which fights from which debut console, which characters that have debuted on the DS handheld would be a good fit for smash? Function and gameplay wise?

There's Maxwell (scribblenauts) who can write whatever he to make it into a reality, which can make up for some real zany attacks.

Pheonix Wright with his deductive and laywer abilities could make for an interesting play while being faithful to his series.

A puzzle game of some kind, be it professor layton, professor lobe or even the big head of that real life doctor that is used for assist trophies (don't remember what series he came from. All I know he is the head of a real doctor in japan.)

Even though it will never happen I wished the Hero (Drawn to life) would make it in. Imagine being able to draw your own weapons and character and be able to fight in smash, although I would imagine for the main online you'd be stuck with premade drawings instead.
nick debuted on the GBA

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve never been much a handheld gamer so the only characters that debuted on DS that particularly interest me are Pokemon. Not that I’m opposed to anyone else. Its always fun to learn about new characters through Smash.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Now that Gorons and Zoras have been brought up, I must ask...

What kind of supporting cast, non-enemy NPC characters from a group of characters (such as a race or species of characters) from games would you like to see as playable characters in a Smash Bros. game? Something like a Goron or Zora, or Toad or a Toad (like Captain Toad).

Gengar84

Smash Hero

What kind of supporting cast, non-enemy NPC characters from a group of characters (such as a race or species of characters) from games would you like to see as playable characters in a Smash Bros. game? Something like a Goron or Zora, or Toad or a Toad (like Captain Toad).
Does Bugzzy from Kirby count as a supporting non-enemy NPC? If so, I’d love to see that. If not, I’ll go with one of the summons from Final Fantasy. Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut, or Diablos would be awesome as playable Smash characters.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Unrelated question, but I'm curious... what would you all say to Switch 2 giving us THIS as its opening line-up? Like, would you consider Nintendo as swinging out of the gate with this line-up? I came across the tweet yesterday, and forgot about it till now.

I imagine that this would cover, let's say... the first 2.5 - 3 years of its life?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Yup considering that Gorons/ Zora are the main/ Most apearing zelda races i 100% Agree! Have an iconic member of their species:
So Maybe Young Ruto and Yunobo? And than a stage based on those twoo with normal gorons/ Zoras (and perhaps octoroks? and other monsters) in the background!
Why young Ruto specifically? Her adult design is the one people remember. (For better or worse, water temple flashbacks)

Wright? I thought it was ds
Ace Attorney's first few games were originally release on the GBA and then later remastered for DS.

It's why Phoenix's themes in the first three games are labeled "Objection-2001" "Objection-2002" and "Objection-2004"

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well all the examples you've listed. i wouldn't say no to koroks and kokiri

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Technically yes, but Opossum made this specification in case someone (probably me) would've wisecracked and pointed out there was a different person who also had the name of Rauru in Ocarina of Time.
And a town in Zelda 2. :p

I would love to see a Zora or Goron as playable characters in Smash Bros.
Me too.

As part of Young Link's moveset! :4pacman:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So what are your thoughts on Robin as a Smash character? Should they be a character? Should their moveset change? Is the portrayal accurate?

Laniv

Smash Champion
So what are your thoughts on Robin as a Smash character? Should they be a character? Should their moveset change? Is the portrayal accurate?
This character is very well put together... Or so I hear because I never play as them.

But I do actually like them and their inclusion. I like that they use magic and I like the durability meter.

Also there's a White Mage costume for them, and that's pretty cool

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

Piranha Plant return.
Heartless. The Soilders.
Bandana Dee

The very few unique FE characters worth keeping. Along with Corrin, Ike and Byleth

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Robin is in a weird place.

Awakening is far and away one of the most popular and important games in the Fire Emblem franchise. It should have a character.

But the face of the game is Chrom, not Robin. But Robin is vastly more unique for Smash.

What's more important? Having the unique character for the game? Or keeping an echo, and echo who is a clone of a character who is already on the chopping block? Is Lucina enough to carry the game on her own?

Personally, I'd keep Robin around regardless of what happens to the roster. He's fun and unique among the Fire Emblem crew, both visually and gameplay wise

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Robin isn't fun to play. For me at least.

If he was tuned so that you could choose when to pull out the Levin sword (durability and all), he would be a lot more tolerable for me, but right now it feels like he punishes you for just playing the game. The fact that you can be locked out of your recovery if you use rapid jab never felt right to me.

And yeah, he's a tactician so he's gotta make the best use of what he has, and weapon durability is faithful, but there had to have been a more elegant solution to conveying that in a moveset.

...And sauce. Hero and Robin are similar, but Hero has sauce, man. I love playing him in free-for-alls. Hero has all these wacky insane magic spells and it feels like you're wringing out every droplet of worth when you expend MP on them, but Robin just doesn't feel nearly as good. Levin sword is nice, but I wouldn't call it the hardest-hitting weapon in Smash. And when you lose it, you're like "alright. I got a slightly worse weapon now. I guess."

It feels like Robin is always playing at a disadvantage to the rest of the cast. If he returns, I really hope they make him more satisfying to play. Without that sauce, he just feels like a limp noodle of a character.

64Gamer

Smash Rookie
This probably won't happen, but what if we get cartoon characters
I think if they do add them, we would get

Mickey Mouse
Spongebob
Twilight Sparkle

What newcomers do you think?

Top Bottom