• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I kinda wish Microsoft could stay away from Sega.
If Microsoft bought SEGA, then the Gaming would go downfall and SEGA would lose all it's fans.
I don’t think western companies like Microsoft are legally allowed to buy Japanese companies like SEGA but I could be wrong. I do think it would be amusing if Nintendo bought them considering their rivalry in the early console wars.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't want anymore companies bought out, but I especially don't want any of the big Japanese companies bought out.
Same here. I don’t think they will get bought out since it doesn’t seem to happen often with Japanese companies. I was just saying it would be kind of amusing to see after being such big rivals early on, not that I necessarily want it to happen.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm in a bit of a catch-22 with getting an Xbox. They're porting all their games to PC, meaning they have no exclusives - what's the point of getting one? But on the other hand, I also really dislike PC gaming. There's no good way for me to enter their market, either I buy a useless console or suffer through PC Gaming.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I mean, if Microsoft wants to do a crossover, but not a platform fighter that competes with Smash Bros, why not a 1st-Person/3rd-Person Shooter Crossover? Because like, why does it have to be a platform fighter? Like look at how many FPS' they have now, as well as games that focus on 1st-Person/3rd-Person perspective or can fit in a 1st-person setting.
Halo, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout, Overwatch, Gears of War, Perfect Dark, Quake, Destiny, Dishonoured, Wolfenstein, Prey, The Evil Within, heck, even the more cartoony ones like Banjo-Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot can fit since Banjo has the 1st-Person shooter moments in Tooie and Crash has the bazooka. Conker also had the 3rd-person moments with the shotgun and Matrix-moments. And other games like Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo and Skylanders also have characters that have guns or focus on ranged attacks. And I don't see an issue with non-FPS games like Battletoads or Killer Instinct getting in.

Like I think they could make a crossover 1st-Person shooter game that can be honest to the characters, make them all fit together and be just as wild and wacky, just like Smash Bros. is. They also got the experience since they have alot of developers that have worked on FPS games. And there would hardly be any competition since I don't think there are any 1st Person Shooter that focus on the Crossover aspect.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm in a bit of a catch-22 with getting an Xbox. They're porting all their games to PC, meaning they have no exclusives - what's the point of getting one? But on the other hand, I also really dislike PC gaming. There's no good way for me to enter their market, either I buy a useless console or suffer through PC Gaming.
I’m in the same boat. For me at least, it’s worth the money to play on a console. It’s really hard to play couch co-op on a PC and I never cared much about online gaming.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don't want anymore companies bought out, but I especially don't want any of the big Japanese companies bought out.
Honestly, at this point I think I'd only want Nintendo to buy up a company. I know that goes against a lot of their believes (they actually respect their affiliate's independance), but there are some companies that I think would only benefit Nintendo, if they at least considered it.
For me, my laptop can't download ANYTHING, so consoles are the only option I have...

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Personally I have a Series S and I loved it. I only have a laptop at home (and not a gaming laptop, the thing can barely run Word and Power point), so building a pc from scratch would have cost me way more than the Series S. Also I think the console is more user friendly. The bigest downside is the small storage (Forza horizon 5 alone take like 1/5 of space) but you can expand it if you want. I never buy games on it, I only use it as a game pass consoles and it gets the job done.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I mean, if Microsoft wants to do a crossover, but not a platform fighter that competes with Smash Bros, why not a 1st-Person/3rd-Person Shooter Crossover? Because like, why does it have to be a platform fighter? Like look at how many FPS' they have now, as well as games that focus on 1st-Person/3rd-Person perspective or can fit in a 1st-person setting.
Halo, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout, Overwatch, Gears of War, Perfect Dark, Quake, Destiny, Dishonoured, Wolfenstein, Prey, The Evil Within, heck, even the more cartoony ones like Banjo-Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot can fit since Banjo has the 1st-Person shooter moments in Tooie and Crash has the bazooka. Conker also had the 3rd-person moments with the shotgun and Matrix-moments. And other games like Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo and Skylanders also have characters that have guns or focus on ranged attacks. And I don't see an issue with non-FPS games like Battletoads or Killer Instinct getting in.

Like I think they could make a crossover 1st-Person shooter game that can be honest to the characters, make them all fit together and be just as wild and wacky, just like Smash Bros. is. They also got the experience since they have alot of developers that have worked on FPS games. And there would hardly be any competition since I don't think there are any 1st Person Shooter that focus on the Crossover aspect.
or third person.

…I liked cannon spike on dreamcast.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
The good news for me at least is that I never really had much personal attachment to Sony, unlike Nintendo. I just bought every PlayStation because it happened to have the games I was interested in playing. If Sony drops out of the console race, I’ll just switch over to whatever console has those games, which is likely X-Box. I’ll probably always buy every Nintendo console because they have so many great exclusives and they have more sentimentality for me as part of my childhood.
Pretty much the same with me. I was only interested in Playstation because they were getting Final Fantasy (including ports of the SNES games) and other RPGs, a genre they continued to dominate for at least a couple more console generations. I did enjoy some Shadow of the Colossus and a few others, but for the most part, I wasn't near as invested in their first-party IPs. That said, it seems so easy for me to completely write them off now that they're just turning their backs on Japan (with even their aforementioned first-parties taking a major hit after the closure of their Japan Studio), and so many of the once-exclusive franchises are now finding their way back to Nintendo and other platforms. And don't even get me started on their personal politics (I'll just say that, as a rural Californian, I am NOT fond of the kind of BS imposed on us by SanFran and other big cities).

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

This gave me a flashback to something I said years ago, and now that the buyout happened they basically quadrupled their options lol. I'd definitely play it.
What about a 3rd Person Hero Shooter type of game? Microsoft's got an unusually high amount of gun-toting characters even with Banjo (remember the shooter segments in Tooie?); have it something like that--closer to Unreal Tournament than Overwatch but each character has their own moveset mapped to the same buttons. That way, they can literally have the 1st All Star Crossover Shooter while Smash stays as THE All Star Fighter. They won't come off as trying to be a wannabe Smash Bros like Sony and they can break new ground. With most series getting 2 characters, I can see the roster as this:

Master Chief, The Arbiter
Marcus Phoenix, JD Phoenix
Banjo and Kazooie
(Kazooie's the rifle like in Tooie), Mumbo Jumbo (he uses his staff like Mingy Jongo)
Totally Screwed (Sunset Overdrive's main character)
Ori and Sein (Sein provides the projectiles, Ori is the nimble adversary)
Guy from Crackdown (known as the Agent), Agent 2
Conker
(a very big gun user to begin with), a Tediz (from Live and Reloaded's multiplayer classes)
Sea of Thieves Pirate (using pirate-y firearms)
Cuphead (another nimble guy), Mughead (a semi-clone with unique shots)
2 Separate fighters from Killer Instinct, but projectile-friendly like:
  • Aria (A mech with a drone and close-range shotgun blasts)
  • Fulgore (laser beams count in this case)
  • Sadira (a trap character that shoots webs to both move around and immobilize foes)
  • Glacius (an ice-throwing character that can also set traps that trigger ice spikes to erupt)
  • Omen (an orb-wielding foe that probably provides status effects)
  • Maya (throwing knives)
Juno from Jet Force Gemini (Retro character), Vela

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think it's too early to speculate which third parties we'll get in the future but living up to Banjo is hardly a difficult feat.

With how many requests they got towards the end of this speculation cycle, it wouldn't be risky to say that Crash and Master Chief may be big requests like him, all while having significantly higher recognizability.
I keep hearing this higher recognizability argument being thrown around, but they choose Banjo for a reason. That one being, he was majorly requested and thus most popular with the Smash fan base. Which shouldn't be a surprise, Smash 64 and Banjo where both some of the biggest games on N64.

People here are highly overestimating Crash and Master Chief I feel. Their ties to Nintendo and the Smash fan base aren't nearly as big.

The most likely scenario for more characters from Microsoft owned franchisers are fighting game characters I think. Particularly Killer Instinct and maybe even Battle Toads. Sakurai seems to favor those.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I keep hearing this higher recognizability argument being thrown around, but they choose Banjo for a reason. That one being, he was majorly requested and thus most popular with the Smash fan base. Which shouldn't be a surprise, Smash 64 and Banjo where both some of the biggest games on N64.

People here are highly overestimating Crash and Master Chief I feel. Their ties to Nintendo and the Smash fan base aren't nearly as big.

The most likely scenario for more characters from Microsoft owned franchisers are fighting game characters I think. Particularly Killer Instinct and maybe even Battle Toads. Sakurai seems to favor those.
That’s exactly what I’ve been saying. I think most people aren’t really considering history with Nintendo as a factor. In RARE’s case, I can’t really blame Smash fans. RARE has been with Microsoft longer than some posters have been alive so it’s not really fair to expect them to share my appreciation for the company. Still, I do think history is important and that’s why I feel like RARE shouldn’t be written off even if their characters don’t have the same mainstream appeal they once did.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I mean, Ultimate showed that ties to Nintendo and Smash fanbase aren't everything. We still get characters like Sephiroth, Kazuya, Joker, and Terry.

I agree that people were really blowing up Crash's chances before Sora but I still think it's not very fair to act like Banjo is a good representative of the guest character requirements.

Also, "Sakurai favors fighting game characters" is kind of hyperbole. As far as third parties go, we only have 4, which is less than platformer and RPG ones.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Just to clarify, I’m not saying characters like Master Chief and Crash can’t happen. I just think people are too quick to write off other characters as possibilities. It may also be because I’m somewhat biased but I feel like RARE and Blizzard are legitimate contenders that have their own good reasons for an inclusion in Smash.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I put together a roster for a hypothetical Ultimate Deluxe. Red borders denote newcomers with unique movesets, green borders denote new echo fighters.
Smash Deluxe (Base Roster).png

Some notes:
  • Dixie Kong is a Diddy echo, but she has DK's Up-Special (which she uses with her hair) and a unique grab + throws using her hair.
  • The female Villager represents a second Villager whose appearance and moveset are based on Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Tom Nook is her echo fighter.
  • Octoling is a unique fighter that uses Splatoon 2 and 3's weapons in her moveset rather than being an Inkling echo.
  • Jin's moveset is based on his appearances in Tekken 3, Tekken Tag Tournament, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 so that he could echo Kazuya, similar to how Ken's moveset is based on Street Fighter II Turbo so that he could echo Ryu.
  • Mega Man X and Zero can swap between each other mid-battle, similar to Pokemon Trainer and Pyra/Mythra.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
imo, just go for the Xbox. It's not looking like the PC gaming market is gonna become more accessible anytime soon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I mean, Ultimate showed that ties to Nintendo and Smash fanbase aren't everything. We still get characters like Sephiroth, Kazuya, Joker, and Terry.

I agree that people were really blowing up Crash's chances before Sora but I still think it's not very fair to act like Banjo is a good representative of the guest character requirements.

Also, "Sakurai favors fighting game characters" is kind of hyperbole. As far as third parties go, we only have 4, which is less than platformer and RPG ones.
Joker is the only one I truly cannot explain. Probably had to do with the success of his game. I always thought he was the worst choice for a DLC character. But the rest are fighting game characters, and Sephiroth well, he comes from the same game as Cloud. Cloud was massively requested, to many a dream come true.

I still can't picture many of the Microsoft owned characters on their level. There's no definite pattern, but fighting game characters, RPG characters, and characters from legendary game franchises more or less. That's a pretty loose pattern, but am rolling with it for now.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I put together a roster for a hypothetical Ultimate Deluxe. Red borders denote newcomers with unique movesets, green borders denote new echo fighters.
View attachment 343231
Some notes:
  • Dixie Kong is a Diddy echo, but she has DK's Up-Special (which she uses with her hair) and a unique grab + throws using her hair.
  • The female Villager represents a second Villager whose appearance and moveset are based on Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Tom Nook is her echo fighter.
  • Octoling is a unique fighter that uses Splatoon 2 and 3's weapons in her moveset rather than being an Inkling echo.
  • Jin's moveset is based on his appearances in Tekken 3, Tekken Tag Tournament, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 so that he could echo Kazuya, similar to how Ken's moveset is based on Street Fighter II Turbo so that he could echo Ryu.
  • Mega Man X and Zero can swap between each other mid-battle, similar to Pokemon Trainer and Pyra/Mythra.
Pretty solid roster, although I don't agree with everything here. The biggest thing for me is Paula as a third Mother rep. Unless Mother gets a huge revival at the end of the Switch era (let's be real it won't happen), I don't see why it would get a third characters. But even if it would get a third characters, I don't see why they would go with Paula instead of Ninten, Porky or Poo. I also don't see the point of Classic Link considering that we already have 3 Link and Botw Link already have a skin that looks fairly similar to Classic.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
View attachment 343231
Some notes:
Weird you make Dixie Kong an Echo, but not Octolings....

Why have a fourth Link ? Impa makes the most sense for another Zelda character I'd say, and you could if you wanted make her an Echo.

Those are some of my objections, the roster seems a little too big though.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I'd say that even the supposed "RPG bias" feels like a hyperbole excuse given that 20-23 of them hail from first party series that introduce new characters every instalment, and wether people like it or not, Smash will still pull content/fighters from newer games because Nintendo is a company that wants their products to be seen, and Sakurai is aware of that. While 3rd parties get.... Cloud, Sephiroth, Joker, Hero and Sora.

Oh and then there's people that don't count Pokémon because "b-but it's different" -cough- Persona does a similar thing -cough- but still claim there's a bias.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I don't think adding like, 1-3 more Microsoft characters in the next game will turn it into "Nintendo vs. Xbox" or whatever lol

Reminds me of those people complaining about how there's too many third party characters in Smash, even though the roster is still essentially dominated by Nintendo characters.
I mean, if they went and added Elmer Fudd and Mickey Mouse, then me and many others wouldn't like it even though the roster would still be dominated by video game characters. It's more arguing over the extent to which the Nintendo IPs dominate the roster since it is basically a given that they will at least make up a majority of it (barring a total u-turn which would basically amount to such a game not even being Smash anymore).

DLC cycles and their "anything goes" selection mentality have spoiled many of the third party supporters into thinking that some sort of one-for-one or even-stevens deal between first and third parties is how things should or even realistically can proceed, all while holding onto the hope for no third party cuts going forward. To me it seems pretty untenable and it's apparent that pipe-dream crossover appeal is taking way more priority than it should over fair and balanced roster construction.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wouldn’t really say that Sakurai has a bias for any genres but I do think some are inherently easier to make work in a platform fighter like Smash. With genres like Fighting games, Platformers, and Action RPGs, you can remain more faithful to the source material and have the fighter feel like they came right out of their game. Other genres like Racing, FPS, and Puzzle games require a lot more liberties to be taken. Not that it’s impossible but I do think it’s something to consider. If a character’s moveset naturally fits in a game like Smash, I think they are more likely to be chosen. Characters like Captain Falcon can be cool in their own way but I feel like he only works as well as he did because F-Zero is first party and Sakurai could basically build a moveset for him from scratch. That probably wouldn’t be as easy with a third party character.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
View attachment 343231
Some notes:
I object to Dixie being an Echo. A tweaked Up B isn't enough to convey her properly. Diddy barely fights with his tail but Dixie over relies on her hair for fighting and movement. She doesn't cartwheel around. X and Zero swapping is interesting; I don't mind it but Zero was always better than X in the series so I'd give him his own slot.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
View attachment 343231
If we get a game that only has, like, 4 new characters, and 2 of those slots go to Takamaru and Ayumi, I will burn this world down.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If we get a game that only has, like, 4 new characters, and 2 of those slots go to Takamaru and Ayumi, I will burn this world down.
Lol. I would personally be fine with a straight port that just started up the DLC again but I’d obviously prefer note. Everyone has their own taste but I agree that my list would look nothing like that.

Shroob

Sup?
NASB is not exactly a failure. It's clearly taking the Battle for the Grid approach to game development, and you know how that game turned out.
With like 10 active players on steam?

NASB has lost over 90% of its playerbase on steam and has kept bleeding players.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
With like 10 active players on steam?

NASB has lost over 90% of its playerbase on steam and has kept bleeding players.
A "failure" has more to do with how much money something has made, rather than how many are currently playing/watching it. Given how it's obviously got a low budget, it'd be easy for NASB to be a commercial success, seeing as how it wouldn't need to sell a million to break even.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I object to Dixie being an Echo. A tweaked Up B isn't enough to convey her properly. Diddy barely fights with his tail but Dixie over relies on her hair for fighting and movement. She doesn't cartwheel around. X and Zero swapping is interesting; I don't mind it but Zero was always better than X in the series so I'd give him his own slot.
There are a few normals and aerials I could picture Dixie take from Diddy, maybe even variations of Specials, but that would make her a semi clone. Echoes don't have unique grab mechanics.

Dixie could do the tilts, jab, some aerials (don't think the D Air suits her), the Popgun could be her Popgun from Tropical Freeze, Monkey Flip and Banana are reasonable enough, but dash attack, grab, Smashes and Up B should be unique at the very least. Also, her statistics should be different to Diddy.

And this is how I envision Dixie at her least unique possible. The bare minimum.

Shroob

Sup?
A "failure" has more to do with how much money something has made, rather than how many are currently playing/watching it. Given how it's obviously got a low budget, it'd be easy for NASB to be a commercial success, seeing as how it wouldn't need to sell a million to break even.
It's a commercial success sure. The sales figures probably say as such.

But a dead game is a dead game.

Losing over 90% of your Steam Platform player base, and having not a gain, but a loss of players upon your first DLC character release?

We've been over this before plenty of times in that I want NASB to do well, but I also have to look at the publicly available data and be blunt about it.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
There are a few normals and aerials I could picture Dixie take from Diddy, maybe even variations of Specials, but that would make her a semi clone. Echoes don't have unique grab mechanics.

Dixie could do the tilts, jab, some aerials (don't think the D Air suits her), the Popgun could be her Popgun from Tropical Freeze, Monkey Flip and Banana are reasonable enough, but dash attack, grab, Smashes and Up B should be unique at the very least. Also, her statistics should be different to Diddy.

And this is how I envision Dixie at her least unique possible. The bare minimum.
I’ve always really liked Dixie Kong but if we get her, I want her moveset to be based on one of two things. Either a tag mechanic with Kiddy or Diddy Kong or her specials making use of animal buddies like Rambi, Sqwaks, and Enguarde. Both mechanics were a huge part of the identity of DKC and neither are represented with our current characters.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's a commercial success sure. The sales figures probably say as such.
Yes. That means it is not a failure. Its player count is irrelevant to whether or not is a failure.

Shroob

Sup?
Yes. That means it is not a failure. Its player count is irrelevant to whether or not is a failure.
PSASBR sold over a million copies which, for all intents was a success considering the inexperienced team who put it together, but I don't think it's unfair to say that the game failed in many other areas.

Failure can be applied to many things, just because something does well in one area doesn't mean it doesn't fail in several others.

NASB has failed in retaining players even with a new DLC character having recently come out. You cannot look at a 90-95% player nosedive and say that's not a failure.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I’ve always really liked Dixie Kong but if we get her, I want her moveset to be based on one of two things. Either a tag mechanic with Kiddy or Diddy Kong or her specials making use of animal buddies like Rambi, Sqwaks, and Enguarde. Both mechanics were a huge part of the identity of DKC and neither are represented with our current characters.
If this next Smash is focussed on moveset revamps, I could see the Diddy and Dixie tag team mechanic being reworked. As Diddy was voted seemingly as the least popular Smash Ultimate character.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It’s actually tough for me now because some of my favorite characters ever are now owned by Microsoft. The Battletoads, Fulgore, Illidan, and Kerrigan are all in my top 10 most wanted characters. I think I’ll give it to the Battletoads because they have been my brother’s number one most wanted characters since Smash existed.

Top Bottom