• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I'm not personally interested in Ring Fit Trainee as the character, but I think the fact they could use the Ring as a Weapon of somekind is already a unique trait of the character, along with the fact they are also a Windbender (going by the spirit battle)? I Imagine the Fitness part of the character will be used to structure a basis for some of the Attacks the Ring Fit Trainees use, and not as a main selling point like how Yoga poses is with Wii Fit Trainer
Ring fit actuall has a lot to work with.

the most itnersitng part of thier moveset is the flying magic limbs.

As someone said they would proabaly play like a jojo character in smash would since they Bassically have a fitness stand.

disjoints that do heavy damage while the character themselves is nimble and fast, that’s proabaly very broken but that’s the best way to represent them imo and hey, someone has to be top tier.

Mario was a character in Donkey Kong

And that means every character that once was from Mario (Yoshi, Wario, the RPGs, the Sports spin-offs, the Mario Party one-offs, Rhythm Heaven, the ones from the cartoons and movies and other adaptions) is technically a DK character. (emphasis in Technically)
/jk
I see the kk.

I just find it interesting how they handle differnt characters.

warioware has Bassicaly nothing to do with Mario and nitnedo seeems to keep it far away from the main seires same with dk.

meanwhile yoshi Luigi’s and toad bring stuff from their spin offs to the main games and vice versa.

I’ve alwasy found it intersitng why they do thsi but imo it’s cause dk was handled by a differnt studio than epd.

but for warioware I have no clue? I guess the found it to juvenile and gross to associate with Mario as I imagine there are a lot of stipulations.

Like Mario can’t pick his nose, or fart.
Or be a capitalist who’s joke so that they mistreat their employees.

okay on a second look I understand why they don’t put waluigi or any other Mario character in warioware.

Maybe that’s the reason they didn’t overlap much with dk until rare was gone as well? Cause rares dk had cartoony guns and pretty dark backgrounds.

they seem to have lightened up on those with Mario wonder and oddyssey though but it seems to be the same reason paper Mario couldn’t do unqiue things.

but the. Mario and Luigi could do the same things paper Mario couldn’t.

the more I think about this the less sense they make so I’m not going to think about it anymore

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
You're mostly on my wavelength fr, but I do have some criticisms;
  • I feel like at least one of Villager and Isabelle is a 100% Lock. Animal Crossing is too big a part of Nintendo now, legit corporate Nintendo prolly wouldn't even allow Sakurai to not include one AC character.
  • I think Diddy Kong belongs more in the "might as well be a lock" tier but that's kinda being nitpicky. I feel like that's true of Charizard too, one of the few gaming characters even normies can recognize and we have proof Pokemon Trainer's fate does not affect him.
  • I don't see Chrom over Roy. I don't think a echo is gonna get prioritzed over the originator, it doesn't really make sense when you consider how echos are developed. I also don't see all 3 Awakening reps sticking around in a culling, and I'm pretty sure Lucina is the more popular of the two anyways. I'm still mulling it but I'd prolly just swap Lucina and Chrom.
  • I also was about to criticize Falco and especially Ike and Lucario being in the second lowest tier, but I realized you cast a pretty wide net up to like 60% for that tier so that's fair enough assuming they're in the upper half. Honestly I realized how thorny that middle ground is when typing out a response so I just checked out lmao. Doing my own version of this is not gonna be fun
The only reason I didn’t have Isabelle and Villager as locks is for the off chance that they decide to only keep one, in which case I can see either being the sole representative. But let’s be real - they’re both coming back.

I don’t think there is a hard rule that an echo can’t be brought back without their original. In the case of Roy and Chrom? Roy has the legacy and Smash popularity, but Chrom has massive FE popularity and comes from a far more beloved game. I also look at someone like Roy who’s been in three games and Lucina who has been in two and can’t help but feel like it’s worth letting the new guy stick around for a bit, ya know? Especially since he’s the most distinct from Marth between the three.

With Falco, Ike and Lucario it’s just priorities. StarFox doesn’t need three characters and Wolf feels just as viable as Falco right now. One might have more legacy, but the other just had a major redesign and might be kept around instead thanks to his new surge in popularity. And Pokemon and Fire Emblem are just so vast with so many characters already and many that could still be added, so it becomes tough to decide who to keep when you get down to only like 3-5 reps. Lucario has a lot of aesthetic and representational overlap with Greninja and Mewtwo who both feel like bigger necessities to me and Ike isn’t Marth, nor does he rep Awakening or Three Houses. I see him most likely being planned for the next game, but I could also envision him getting out prioritized during development.
I'm curious, why does Pac-Man end up a step below Sonic / Mega Man / Ryu? I know you anticipate him coming back regardless, but I'd confidently put him among that pack as a firmly cemented staple third party ambassador. Especially with Smash's established association with Namco at this point.

Cloud and Terry, even though I think they both have a good chance at coming back too, feel like cases where there are slightly more obstacles. I think Cloud is #1 priority for Square Enix too, but they could always opt for Hero instead. And Terry may be deemed a bit lesser priority compared to some other guest characters, although SNK would probably love to get called back on board. I really hope he does return but I'm not quite as confident as you are.

Personally, I'd probably put Simon somewhere around that area of likelihood. Castlevania got it real good in Ultimate, comparable to Mega Man before it.
Sonic and Mega Man feel exceptional for being huge fan requests in the past. Mega Man also has that “honorary Nintendo character” thing going for him, which might not really matter these days, but still feels significant.

Ryu just strikes me as someone Sakurai would never wanna let go of. Having the OG of the genre is a big deal and would feel like a huge loss. (Also I’m crazy confident in Chun-Li’s chances for the next game)

Pac-Man is a damn icon and has the advantage of being owned by Namco, but if push came to shove I don’t think he has quite the same appeal as those three. People just don’t seem as in love with his implementation with his moveset and representation in Smash being all over the place. I still think he ought to stay, but there’s part of me that thinks “mayyyybe this isn’t a necessity” when I consider how well received so many other third parties are. Do we really wanna prioritize him over Cloud or Simon? Could we not add Lloyd as a new Namco rep in his stead? I don’t know. Like I said, he’s still one of the likeliest third parties, but I have an easier time seeing him left behind.

I have a great feeling about Terry. Sakurai went all in with SNK content and it immediately felt like he was meant to be here. If SNK is as easy to work with as it looks, then I can very well see Terry becoming a mainstay for the series. The people ****ing loved him. He isn’t a necessity, but just a “come on how do we not bring him back?”

You bring up a good point about Simon and looking at it now I might move him and Bayo up a tier. I really just don’t know what to expect with third parties. Every damn one feels like such a solid inclusion and it’s still hard to think of such unique and iconic characters as “guests.”

Edit: Talking about cuts sucks. I’m gonna make a newcomer prediction list next. That’ll be more fun lol

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I have a great feeling about Terry. Sakurai went all in with SNK content and it immediately felt like he was meant to be here. If SNK is as easy to work with as it looks, then I can very well see Terry becoming a mainstay for the series. The people ****ing loved him. He isn’t a necessity, but just a “come on how do we not bring him back?”
Big agree on Terry. Sakurai loves him, and it also feels like pretty much every Smash player likes him. Even if Sakurai ends up less involved with the next game, I don't see why his replacement(s) wouldn't honor his love for Terry by prioritizing him. Further helping his case, he's a big buff human and I'd be shocked at this point to see the staple big buff human (Captain Falcon) ever get cut. So there will always be that base to build Terry around, if nothing else.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If Ken gets in the next game, along with Ryu, they could add in Battle Harbor (Ken's Stage) from Street Fighter II. Either that, or his Alpha 2 stage.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Here's an interesting question: what are some Indie game characters you'd like to see in Smash?
I think Mii costumes is the appropriate level of representation for indies.

I think guest characters in Smash are diferent than other franchises, i think they don't intend most of them to be one and done, i think i wouldn't even call them guests, just 3rd party characters.
You can't have a guest character in a crossover game. Because, technically, everyone is a guest.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
3rd parties at least at one point were called guests. Not sure if they still are nowadays. Brawl it made more sense, but that's because it's a Nintendo Crossover with Guest Characters at that point. 4 leans a bit further into the 3rd Parties, and Ultimate breaks it wide open to the point the term is silly. XD Albeit, still accurate overall. It's still a Nintendo Crossover first and foremost. Ultimate Gaming Crossover is also a thing. Depends how you want to look at it, really.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You should go to like a dentist or something

I don't think that's healthy...or natural :217:
If you're spitting out acid, a dentist feels like the last person you should be seeing. :upsidedown:

By the way, in case there are people who are morbidly curious on if spitting acid is possible, it's quite possible if you get a really bad case of stomach acid reflux. But getting a little case of it frickin' sucks regardless, between your throat burning and the horrid aftertaste of acid plus disgusted food at the back of your tongue. :skull:

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I would say as far as Rockstar characters, John Marston would be the character I prefer for Smash too. Sure, GTA might be the bigger series but both RDR games were huge hits and as far as I know, they don't have any controversies attached to them.

Plus, I can't help but think about this:

1714112534425.png
1714112592942.png

Kirby hats in Smash sometimes resemble the ones in his games, so if Kirby copies John, well...we know which hat he'll resemble. lol

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Time to bring up something random only tangentially related to the discussion people here are currently having.

I think it sucks that if Overwatch gets a character it's probably gonna be Tracer. Like I think she's fine and all I guess and she does have plenty of moveset potential with her overall gimmick as a character and it's probably the best choice overall from a marketing standpoint because her gimmick is inherently flashy and she's the OG mascot (probably getting replaced by Kiriko at this point though)... I just want her less than some other choices. It also feels like she gets this position in Smash speculation based entirely on the aforementioned marketing potential with the community kind of just yielding to it with a collective shrug.

My choice would be Roadhog. I got an entire moveset figured out for him. I'll post it soonish but yeah I just want freaking Roadhog man. I wish I could somehow conjure some community excitement around him ala King K. Rool or Ridley. If it must be an OG launch character he's got that going for him too!

Let Smash get in on some of that hog wildin' ****! Come on Sakurai! Roadhog is the true gamer's choice!

Do any of you guys like Overwatch enough to care about a character from that series and if so which one?

roadhog-00.jpg

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I guess since I never really specified my most wanted Indies earlier, I'll throw my hat in the ring now. Better late than never!

My most wanted Indie characters besides Shovel Knight are Ori, Hat Kid and Peppino. Ori's a beautiful series and the Ori and Sein have a load of moveset potential, something that was already realized quite well in Rivals of Aether to my knowledge.

Hat Kid would be right at home in an SSB game and her variety of attacks and hats with different utilities would help make for a great moveset as well.

Lastly, Peppino Spaghetti is freaking Peppino Spaghetti. He'd be at home in an SSB game as well with how he's inspired by Wario and the sheer number of moves and transformations he has.

Having stages and songs from all of their games would just be a bonus, especially since the Ori games, A Hat in Time and Pizza Tower all have outstanding OSTs.

I know it's unlikely, but dang it, Indie game characters deserve a shot to be playable in an SSB game at this point.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Time to bring up something random only tangentially related to the discussion people here are currently having.

I think it sucks that if Overwatch gets a character it's probably gonna be Tracer. Like I think she's fine and all I guess and she does have plenty of moveset potential with her overall gimmick as a character and it's probably the best choice overall from a marketing standpoint because her gimmick is inherently flashy and she's the OG mascot (probably getting replaced by Kiriko at this point though)... I just want her less than some other choices. It also feels like she gets this position in Smash speculation based entirely on the aforementioned marketing potential with the community kind of just yielding to it with a collective shrug.

My choice would be Roadhog. I got an entire moveset figured out for him. I'll post it soonish but yeah I just want freaking Roadhog man. I wish I could somehow conjure some community excitement around him ala King K. Rool or Ridley. If it must be an OG launch character he's got that going for him too!

Let Smash get in on some of that hog wildin' ****! Come on Sakurai! Roadhog is the true gamer's choice!

Do any of you guys like Overwatch enough to care about a character from that series and if so which one?
I used to play a decent amount of Overwatch, and I do genuinely really like most of the characters, but I haven't kept up with it. I stopped playing a little after Ashe was added iirc. I do think Tracer would make the most sense, but I'd be perfectly happy with most of the other characters too, I think.

Roadhog is actually one of my favorites as well, so I'd be pretty happy to see him somehow get into Smash. I like heavies and characters with chains, so making him into a platform fighter version of Birdie could be pretty fun imo.

Aside from him I think there are plenty of interesting things you could do with most of the other characters. Only ones off the top of my head that I probably wouldn't be very excited for are Soldier and Wrecking Ball. Can't really comment on the OW2 heroes either. I'm only familiar with Kiriko from her apparent general popularity, Junker Queen from her reveal trailer and Lifeweaver because of the occasional Wifeleaver jokes.
--------------

Also, RE indies:
Shantae remains my number one, but I'd be happy to see any of:

Shovel Knight
Hollow Knight
Cadence - Crypt of the Necrodancer
The Penitent One - Blasphemous
Miriam - Bloodstained
Sybil - Pseudoregalia
Elster - Signalis
Hat Kid - A Hat in Time
Peppino - Pizza Tower
Filia - Skullgirls
Quote/Curly - Cave Story
Gunvolt - Azure Striker Gunvolt
Zagreus - Hades
Orcane - Rivals of Aether
Juliette - Omega Strikers
Reimu - Touhou
A Ludosity character - Could be Fishbunjin, Remedy, etc.
A Rushdown Revolt character (except Kid)
A Vanguard Princess character
Rin/Buro/Marija - Muse Dash (I think PeroPero Games is an indie studio?)

Honorable mention to Shift Up who no longer counts as indie, otherwise I would've unironically added Rapi from Nikke. (Though they could work as a mobile rep alongside characters from Granblue, Azur Lane, etc.)

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I know it's still too far in the future....

But, which characters that had strong presence and support during Ultimate's life cycle lost significant steam/momentum? And you don't expect them to recover in the next speculation cycle?

How about vice versa? Which characters have still maintained and will continue to do so?

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
3rd parties at least at one point were called guests. Not sure if they still are nowadays. Brawl it made more sense, but that's because it's a Nintendo Crossover with Guest Characters at that point. 4 leans a bit further into the 3rd Parties, and Ultimate breaks it wide open to the point the term is silly. XD Albeit, still accurate overall. It's still a Nintendo Crossover first and foremost. Ultimate Gaming Crossover is also a thing. Depends how you want to look at it, really.
11 1st party newcomers in ult
10 3rd party newcomers in ult

Perfectly balanced almost

Honorable mention to Shift Up who no longer counts as indie, otherwise I would've unironically added Rapi from Nikke. (Though they could work as a mobile rep alongside characters from Granblue, Azur Lane, etc.)
You’re being silly if you think any gacha character will come before a Genshin one.

that’s not just one fo the msot popular gacha s but one of the msot popular games of all time.

Nike still has a long way to go before it can match it.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

View attachment 388510
I agree on Tracer being the boring but likely choice. I also like Roadhog a lot and would love to see him in, there's a lot of fun potential with the hook and scrap gun. He's my #1 pick for an OW character.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

View attachment 388510
My best friend is an Overwatch player, and Roadhog is one of her best characters :3 I'd love for him to be the pick!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Overwatch looks like it would be a lot of fun if I was more into online competitive gaming. I think I’d have bought it if it had a campaign. I’m not really familiar with many characters but I think Genji was my favorite of the ones I remember. I’d personally prefer a character from WarCraft, StarCraft, or Diablo before Overwatch. I tend to prefer the designs and characters of the earlier games and they have a longer legacy than Overwatch does. OW is more recent but I think the sequel killed a bit of the momentum it had going since it looks like it wasn’t as well received.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Cadet
I'm curious, why does Pac-Man end up a step below Sonic / Mega Man / Ryu? I know you anticipate him coming back regardless, but I'd confidently put him among that pack as a firmly cemented staple third party ambassador. Especially with Smash's established association with Namco at this point.

Cloud and Terry, even though I think they both have a good chance at coming back too, feel like cases where there are slightly more obstacles. I think Cloud is #1 priority for Square Enix too, but they could always opt for Hero instead. And Terry may be deemed a bit lesser priority compared to some other guest characters, although SNK would probably love to get called back on board. I really hope he does return but I'm not quite as confident as you are.

Personally, I'd probably put Simon somewhere around that area of likelihood. Castlevania got it real good in Ultimate, comparable to Mega Man before it.
I think if it's at all approved, Cloud is pretty guaranteed to come back. He's been acknowledged multiple times as a massively popular character and the single most played character in Ultimate's beginning. I'd be surprised if he's not still top 5 even post DLC. I can't imagine there'd be much desire to favour someone else on that basis, so I think it's just a matter of it legally works. Ofc I'm sure Sakurai in an ideal world would want to bring back everybody, but I think Cloud would be top priority.

Indie Game rep is pretty easy imo

terraria or stardew.
I've always been kinda surprised Terraria isn't brought up more. I think Terraria content of some kind has a pretty solid chance, and Terrarian outright becoming playable would be kind of a sensible curveball.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman

11 1st party newcomers in ult
10 3rd party newcomers in ult

Perfectly balanced almost

You’re being silly if you think any gacha character will come before a Genshin one.

that’s not just one fo the msot popular gacha s but one of the msot popular games of all time.

Nike still has a long way to go before it can match it.
would've unironically added Rapi from Nikke. (Though they could work as a mobile rep alongside characters from Granblue, Azur Lane, etc.)
I really do not want those type of blatant waifu-bait harem games in Smash like Nikke, they creep me out.
I could see a Genshin rep, though, that game is popular as hell and it would definitely attract new players to smash, which is probably the goal of DLC.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
TBF, it kind of is.
We do already have Shulk for that ability. I think Prince of Persia would be another interesting option. It’s a cool ability to be sure, but I’d personally go with someone else that does something more unique if we want an Overwatch character. No complaints with Tracer if we get her, she’s just not on my personal most wanted list.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To be fair, I imagine the mechanic would work like Orcane puddles since it'd otherwise be unclear when you could use it and where it would stick you, but like...That's not a boring mechanic. It adds a whole new dimension to the game plan and counterplay.

We do already have Shulk for that ability.
What? No! Shulk has future sight, not time travel.

It’s a cool ability to be sure, but I’d personally go with someone else that does something more unique if we want an Overwatch character.
I-wha-...How is yeeting yourself back in time not unique?

Geez, and I thought I was hard to impress. lol

Gengar84

Smash Hero
To be fair, I imagine the mechanic would work like Orcane puddles since it'd otherwise be unclear when you could use it and where it would stick you, but like...That's not a boring mechanic. It adds a whole new dimension to the game plan and counterplay.

What? No! Shulk has future sight, not time travel.

I-wha-...How is yeeting yourself back in time not unique?

Geez, and I thought I was hard to impress. lol
I did say it was cool. Shulk’s ability isn’t exactly the same but for the purposes of a fighting game, I feel like they’re similar enough that they’d probably be the same mechanically. I was expecting it to be another counter variant similar to Shulk’s vision but your idea is definitely more interesting.

Truthfully, it’s more just that I’m not terribly interested in Tracer’s visual design more than anything about her abilities. I’ve never played Overwatch so I might grow to like her more as a character the more I saw of her. As it stands now, I’d be fine if Tracer joined, there’s just a lot of Blizzard characters I’m personally more interested in. I probably prefer the Prince of Persia for the whole time travel/reversal gimmick.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
My Overwatch character of choice would be D.VA

She has the popularity to potentially overwrite Tracer, and she just straight up would be incredibly fun with a unique gameplay gimmick

My full Bias choice would be Ramattra

Gengar84

Smash Hero
1714142824161.jpeg

Assuming that these are all the playable characters, a lot of the designs are actually pretty cool. I never really looked into many of them. My favorites here are Ramtarra, Reaper, Genji, Junker Queen, Widowmaker, Orisa, and Reinhardt. No idea if any of those are important enough to have a chance.

If I had to pick just one, I’m really digging Ramtarra’s design.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
View attachment 388525
Assuming that these are all the playable characters, a lot of the designs are actually pretty cool. I never really looked into many of them. My favorites here are Reaper, Junker Queen, Widowmaker, Orisa, Illari and Ramattra. No idea if any of those are important enough to have a chance.
This is a mostly complete list, it is missing the 2 newest heroes

Mauga and Venture

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 388525
Assuming that these are all the playable characters, a lot of the designs are actually pretty cool. I never really looked into many of them. My favorites here are Ramtarra, Reaper, Genji, Junker Queen, Widowmaker, Orisa, and Reinhardt. No idea if any of those are important enough to have a chance.

If I had to pick just one, I’m really digging Ramtarra’s design.
second from the right, second from the top is the stereotype spreader I was referring too

Gengar84

Smash Hero
This is a mostly complete list, it is missing the 2 newest heroes

Mauga and Venture

Nice, Mauga reminds me a lot of Moana. I’m pretty sure the similarities are intentional because even their names are similar enough. Sign me up for the Ramtarra support train. I looked a bit more into him and I like him even more from what I’ve seen.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I know it's still too far in the future....

But, which characters that had strong presence and support during Ultimate's life cycle lost significant steam/momentum? And you don't expect them to recover in the next speculation cycle?

How about vice versa? Which characters have still maintained and will continue to do so?
I think Dante's been hit the hardest in the post-Ultimate era. He's gone from being one of the most popular requests in speculation generally to a more niche choice now. I think the de-emphasization on third parties and "hype" choices that would please the crowd has hurt him, along with needing to compete against Capcom characters that were either deconfirmed during Ultimate (like the RE gang or Monster Hunter) or seen as unlikely but have now picked up some support (like Chun-Li or Zero). DMCV being further in the past also doesn't help, although the new mobile game and the anime may help him a bit.

I do think he could recover, but I'm skeptical if he'll ever reach the heights he hit during the Second Fighter's Pass. He reminds a fair bit of Rayman and Shovel Knight, two characters that rode contemporary trends in speculation and developments in their home franchise to being fairly popular in the past but are now struggling a bit.

In terms of characters that have increased in popularity for the foreseeable future, I think just about first-party has benefitted from the end of Ultimate. That's pretty self-explanatory though. People just think they're possible and/or likely again.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Travis Touchdown. I hate to say it because I think he’d be such a great addition, but NMH3 was the perfect time to capitalize on this and they didn’t follow through.

Without that incentive, there isn’t much lifting Travis up. His lasting Smash popularity is moderate at best, his series is relatively niche compared to the competition. At the time he felt like the most obvious choice in the world to me, and now I can’t see them bothering. Mayyybe as a surprise base roster pick, Suda would probably be insanely easy to get on board, but it just feels like the time has passed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom